Never thought I’d be asking a big kid weight question but alas...

My almost 5.5 year old gained 5 lbs since July (she randomly got on our home scale while changing into pjs and it shower her just under 50 lbs, and she was 44 in July at her annual physical). From what I am reading this is a reasonable yearly weight gain, not in 4 months. Unfortunately she’s a product of two short and overweight parents so genetics are not in her favor anyway and she’s visibly getting a belly and love handles, but just from a health perspective this seems like a lot of gain in a short time. She’s a very healthy eater, not picky, has a full bowl of veggies with lunch and dinner, plenty of fruit, we limit sugar to one small dessert a day, rarely eat out, and she loves being active (swimming, rock climbing, monkey bars are current favorites) though with school and work we mostly get that during weekends when weather cooperates. The two big changes I can think of are that she’s in kinder and has a half hour of playtime instead of 90 minutes she had in preK, and because her school qualifies for free breakfast and lunch, she’s given the same carby snacks and milk that other kids get (we pack her lunch) so there are added calories that way and we can’t really stop that from happening.

I grew up with a lifetime of weight issues and I really don’t want to inflict that stress on her and we use nothing but body positive language, but I’m concerned about the quick gain and more about the social aspects of being the kid with a belly and a BMI that now puts her in the overweight category. Am I obsessing about this unnecessarily? Would love thoughts.