Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas - Nursery Progress

1. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Boopers: looks so good, i love the navy! and Marco is soooo cute it's also nice to see a hemnes assembled, that's the same one we got

2. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Boopers: Love that sign! Is the flower insert a mirror, or a light yellow? Where did you get the material for it? Also, I notice you have a humidifier on the dresser. Is that a requirement year-round, or just in winter? I didn't put one on our registry. Second time moms, did you use one?

@Banana330: I have to force myself to let my wood floor dream go, at least for now. I'd always pictured a nursery with wooden floors and a cute rug. In fact, I bought a rug almost 2 yrs ago, well before we were TTC, with the intention of using it in our future nursery. I guess I could still put it on the carpet, if it doesn't look too silly.

I think we're decided on our glider now, at least wrt the style - the Dutailier Fogo (180 series). They have a huge selection of fabrics and optional contrast piping, so I still have to look through the book and pick those out. I'll need to do that really soon, as I think they normally take several weeks.

3. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@loki: thanks I scoured Pinterest to see the Hemnes in nurseries. It's a bit higher than I thought, but I think it will be fine for DH and me.

@Astro Bee: thanks! It's a sun that originally was yellow. I painted the outer part orange and the inner part white to match our colors. I got all the materials at Michaels. I bought bare wood letters and a pre-painted wooden sun. I used acrylic paint and painted everything with a foam sponge. I glued everything on with heavy duty craft glue, but you would probably use a hot glue gun. It was easy!

I don't think we will have the humidifier out all year, but with our heater on the air gets dry. I think we'll do a small oscillating fan in spring/summer and then the humidifier in winter, but who know what will actually work best for us!

4. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@Boopers: your nursery is looking great! can't wait to see how it progresses.

@Astro Bee: I totally just purchased a rug even though our room has carpet. I'm not sure if I will keep it or return it I will have to see how it looks. We have a rug in our bedroom on top of carpet and I love the way it breaks up the boring beige carpet.

@loki: re the gold curtain rod - could you just buy a cheap one in any colour and a can of gold spray paint and get your dad to spray it? He probably wouldn't mind doing it if he is there painting and setting up furniture anyway. I'm obsessed with gold accents and have had pretty good luck with spray-painting stuff gold

5. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Boopers: ya the dresser is biiiig. i did some measuring on the weekend and where i was going to put it, i think it won't work because of the depth. need to reevaluate once all the furniture is in the room!

@lulu22: honestly, i spray paint everything haha. so that is definitely something i considered, i am just soooooooooo lazy right now haha. i found one at walmart for $20 that was nice but it was open and missing the brackets. i might end up doing that, i just feel so bad cuz my dad is gonna be working like a crazy person. the room is currently navy on the bottom and beige on the top... so putting mint over it is gonna be a big task because he's gonna have to prime it all first! i'm sure he'd do it if i ask. so i'll go for one more hunt this week and if i can't find anything great, he's gonna have another job on his list haha. poor guy.

6. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Boopers: @loki: I have the three drawer one in white and it's big too! I actually thought i'd have room for the bigger hemnes but once I started assembling the smaller one I was glad I didn't go bigger! our nursery is the smallest room in our house and it would have been overwhelmed by the dresser.

7. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@lulu22: I think that a rug over a carpet would look perfectly fine and would really make your nursery pop!

I can't wait to see what everyone else is doing

8. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@Boopers: love it so cute!

@Astro Bee: we only use a humidifier if LO is sick....

9. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Astro Bee: we use our humidifier all winter, I really feel it if I dont!

I painted the ikea spice racks as book shelves for the nursey. They are so cute!

Got the shelves in to the closet, but need to get a new rail before I can start putting stuff in it.

10. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@Banana330: I love the shelves! The colors looks great.

11. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Banana330: oh my gosh, love those shelves! They look amazing painted! I was doing some research between those and the ledge shelves and most people said the ones you choose work better to hold more books. I didn't like the look if them plain, but painted is adorable! I may do this too for books!!

@loki: you are going to have quite the reveal once you get back and see all the work your dad is doing. Are you so excited???

12. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@SunshineMcC: thanks, they turned out well. From what I read good anchors in the wall is key, especially if you're hanging them low cause kids tend to pull on them.

13. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@Banana330: those look so great!

14. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@SunshineMcC: haha ya it'll be so nice! big payoff with no work from me! haha. can't wait to post pictures when i get back!

15. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: omg those are amazing, i love them. you make me wanna go buy those for our nursery too!

16. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@Banana330: love the ombre shelves! great colors!

17. Mrs.Pinecone316

persimmon / 1316 posts

Ahhh how did I miss this thread! You guys are making me feel behind now:) We only have a 1 bedroom with a loft and have to clean out the loft to move our bedroom there and then will use our current room as the nursery. So this month is all about getting that done. But once the room is cleared out I think it should be pretty easy. We already bought a dresser, have the crib that we need to set up and just got our rug for the nursery delivered. Everything else is pretty much decor and waiting on the baby shower to get new things organized.

18. Mrs.Pinecone316

persimmon / 1316 posts

@Boopers: looking good! love the color's you're doing.

@marionberry: look how organized that closet it! Love the cribs.

@Banana330: Love love the shelves!

19. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

I'm feeling a little bit back to the drawing board for our nursery decor. We painted our office over the weekend in one of the two colors I was hoping to use for the nursery, and it looks fine in the office but it's much more lavender than I had thought it would be. Now I'm searching all over for a new color inspiration. I'm sort of thinking maybe a light blue, like these:

Benjamin Moore Heaven on Earth

Sherwin Williams Buoyant Blue

Sherwin Williams Rainwashed

Sherwin Williams Sea Salt

We'll have all espresso furniture.

20. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@PawPrints: I love sea salt and rain washed! I wanted to use sea salt in my bathroom. Are you wanting it blueish or more grey? Our whole house is SW passive and SW lazy grey. It really depends on the light in the rooms we tested three shades and found certain ones looked good in a hall but terrible in the living room.

We actually did an accent wall in our bedroom in rainstorm (rich dark blue) and the rest in lazy grey.

SW trade wind might be a good in between colour for you.

21. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@PawPrints: love love love the rain washed though all the colors are pretty! Let us know what you decide!!

22. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@Banana330: Your bedroom sounds lovely. Mind posting a pic?

@SunshineMcC: I love them all too, but my only hesitation is that basically the whole interior of our house is BM Palladian Blue (a light blue) and our bedroom is mint, so I feel like I should probably do something different for the nursery. Like, there are other colors. Maybe a green?

23. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@PawPrints: What about a perfect greige? I know there are some favorites posted on Pinterest. I always think it's a perfect neutral but way more fun than white, cream or brown and it would contrast well with your blue home.

24. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@PawPrints: I'll try and snap a picture this weekend.

25. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@PawPrints: here's our wall, I love the richness of the blue and the coolness and the grey.

26. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@Banana330: That is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

27. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Banana330: so pretty!!!

28. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@Banana330: love that your snoogle features in your bedroom pic! I never know what to do with mine when I make the bed, I usually try to do something artistic with it, but it's a lost cause! haha.

29. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@lulu22: I actually normally make the bed over it, but for the pic I pulled it out!

30. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

I finally caught up on this thread! Everyone's nurseries sound and look so cute!

We aren't doing anything new with the nursery except evicting DD1 from it and moving her to a new big girl room. So our project is getting DD's big girl room all ready. We finally got started this weekend and painted the room. We decided to go with pink and gray as the colors for the new room and paint the walls gray. I love me some pink, but I think pink walls can be overwhelming. I'd rather be able to get/make a lot of pink accents.

Here is a pic of the in progress painting (We did get the painting finished yesterday, I just didn't take a pic). It's Behr French Silver. Turned out slightly more blue in the light, but more gray in the natural light.

31. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Banana330: We have a very similar color palette in our room. Dark blue accent wall behind the bed and light blue (I wanted gray but DH wanted blue) on the rest of the walls. Looks great!

32. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@NeekieRose: I saw the dark blue in a nursery inspiration pic and wanted to do the whole room that colour, my DH is a bit wary of anything beyond neutrals so our compromise was an accent wall. He let me do it in our dining room too (but dark grey) and I love both rooms! He loves them too.

We've been doing some pink accents (like the shelves) but I agree an entire room painted pink is hard to pull off!

33. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@NeekieRose: love the color! Gray is so pretty! We have a light gray in our kitchen and I love it!

34. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@NeekieRose: love the gray! can't wait to see more progress shots!

35. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

I still haven't decided on what colour gray I'll be going with for the nursery, but I'm leaning towards a soft gray since we have darker furniture and a darker gray nursing chair. I had to order the glider last weekend to even hope that it would arrive on time. We went with a Dutalier glider/recliner. I like that it locks in place as a regular chair and also reclines in that mode. We plan to use it downstairs after we no longer need it for the nursery. I'll use it with the blue pouf and initial (our last name starts with H) pillow in the photos below.

The crib and change table/dresser are finally put together. Although, I've measured the interior of the change table surround and it's 16.5" x 31". Most change pads are 32" or 33" long. Not sure what to do there. Remove the top?

36. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

The last photo is of the closet in the nursery. It's full of scuba and photo gear, which I need to remove and store elsewhere. At one point it was all organized neatly! Not sure we'll be doing any diving for awhile yet. DH seems to think otherwise, though. The colour is left over from the previous owners, and needs to be painted when I do the rest of the room.

Also, the pictures and nightstands are left over from when it was a spare bedroom. They'll be swapped out, as well.

37. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Astro Bee: it's looking great! Are you planning to put other pictures or hanging things above the crib? I ask, as I was planning to do a little gallery wall above our crib, and have had a couple people advise against it - one, in the event that something would fall on baby, and two, as he gets older and can stand up, he could pull things down. My thought was to put them high enough that the pulling down wouldn't be an option for awhile, and then to just ensure that things are attached really sturdily (is that a word)? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

38. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

We are finally making some progress in the nursery, and I'm so excited! I'll post some pictures tonight or tomorrow. Our walls are a beachy blue, and we're doing white furniture - we bought the Fisher Price Riley crib - SO excited about it!

And we have a tall bookshelf from IKEA we're painting white, as well as a changing table/dresser from family that DH is sanding and repainting this weekend. I might put some patterned wallpaper in the back of the bookshelf to add more color too.

I'm leaning towards navy/white curtains - stripe at the top and chevron at the bottom (sounds busy, but is gorgeous) and then beachy accessories and signs. This weekend DH is moving all the non-nursery furniture out of there, putting the crib together and painting the furniture, so by Sunday afternoon it should really be coming together. I'm so excited. I love to just sit in there, and will love it even more as it starts to take shape!

39. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@SunshineMcC: I really like your crib and curtains. No, the pictures are going. I have the same fears as your friends that pictures would fall down on his head, no matter how well secured they are. I would like to do painted wooden letters to spell out his name (once we come up with one!). But they would have to be higher and well secured, too. That doesn't seem to bother me as much, because they'd be lighter, and wouldn't have glass in them. Also a felt mobile, which I plan to make. I was also thinking about a mini gallery wall above the change table, as he'll always be supervised there, so no danger. Not sure how else to dress up the crib wall. A blue and white stripe going horizontally against the gray where the name is maybe? I don't think I want to put any stickers on the walls. What are other people thinking?

40. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@Astro Bee: that colest looks amazing for organising! Ours is so tiny compared to that. We're doing stickers above the crib, she led above the change table and pictures on the remaining wall.

@SunshineMcC: I love your crib it's super cute! Sounds like everything is coming together and sounds lovely.

Our decals arrived today, I took the plunge based on Internet pictures hoping the colours looked right. I think they worked out pretty well! I can't wait to put them up!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee