Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 Mamas

1. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@.twist.: @Alivoo01: Happy appointment day! Best of luck seeing/hearing healthy heartbeats!

2. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Mrs.K: Whoohoo! Congratulations and Welcome!!

@.twist: Alivoo01: Good luck! Come back and tell us how it went. And also, any questions you can remember the dr asking about your DH. Mine is out of town for my appointment and I'd love to have the answers for the dr.

Ladies, my face thinks it's a teenager. Zits! Zits, Everywhere!!

3. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@Mrs.K: Welcome!!

@JamieLee: @Grace: Thanks ladies! I'm definitely excited and will let you know how it all went!

4. lawbee11

GOLD / watermelon / 14076 posts

@Mrs.K: Congrats & welcome!!

@Alivoo01: Good luck!!

5. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs.K: Welcome and Congrats! I love that you POAS just for the two lines! hahaha

@JamieLee: Thanks I'm super excited! It's at 5:30pm so I have a long way to wait right now.

@Grace: My DH won't be their either, he's taking his two boys to their cubs & beavers christmas thing, we couldn't find anyone else to take them so he's going to miss this. My mom is going to take me and she's super excited because it's her birthday, hopefully it's not weird and I'm really hoping it's not a transvag ultrasound. awkward.... LOL

@Alivoo01: What time is your appointment?!

6. Alivoo01

@.twist.: That's so cool it's also your mom's birthday!! Such a sweet birthday present!! I'm thinking mine will be a transvaginal ultrasound, but they drape your legs with cloth so it's not like you're sprawled out in the open.

My appointment is at 1:45pm CST. What time is yours?????

7. lawbee11

@.twist.: Good luck to you, too! Awesome birthday gift for your mom

8. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: 5:30pm MT! I have to wait ALL DAY. Although it didn't get in the way of work so I didn't have to take any time off which means I didn't have to tell them anything so they don't think I have a crazy amount of appointments!

9. Meridian

pomegranate / 3716 posts

I'm joining this list of August Mamas!! I'm kind of nervous, and wondering if I should wait until after my blood test to join... but what the heck! Most people saw my PG test post anyways!

Name: Charlene

Is this your first baby? Yes!

Any symptoms so far? None, whatsoever...

When & how did you find out? YESTERDAY (12/18), 17 days after ovulation, and consistently high temps!! Still in shock because I don't feel any different at all.

What are you most excited for? Seeing DH be a dad, I think he's going to be amazing!

What are you least excited for? Labor... Crap.

10. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@sweetchic: welcome and congrats!!! How exciting! I didn't have much for symptoms at first either, they'll come!

11. Alivoo01

@.twist.: oh man! I'm getting ansy already, and can't wait to leave during lunch! I've had quite a few appt already to have blood drawn due to a previous loss, and thankfully, my boss has never inquired why! I just let him know I have to leave at X time for a doctor appointment. I try to schedule them as late in the day as possible though. Plus, I work through lunch and will come in a lil early if I feel guilty.

12. Alivoo01

@sweetchic: Welcome!!!

13. Meridian

pomegranate / 3716 posts

So... now that I know that I'm PG... now what?!! Anyone have any tips of things I need to start doing or thinking about? I'm already scheduled for a blood test today.

14. lawbee11

@sweetchic: Welcome and congrats!! As far as tips--are you taking prenatals? That's probably a top priority. I didn't do much else other than change my diet--I cut out all alcohol and caffeine (this is probably extreme, but I am super paranoid!). I have also been trying to eat healthier/eat less sweets.

15. Alivoo01

@sweetchic: I agree with LawBee about getting on some prenatals if you aren't already. You've already scheduled an appt so I think you're set until the doctor advises you otherwise!

16. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@Mrs.K: Welcome and congrats!

@sweetchic: Welcome, congrats! I didn't have much in the way of symptoms at the beginning. I've just started (@ about midway through my 5th week) to have some nausea, and sore boobs, so no worries! I didn't even have a blood test. Apparently the doctor's trust the patient's word that they're pregnant! All I've done so far is schedule my first appointment (Jan. 17) and make a few lifestyle changes - the obvious ones, like no drinking, no hot tub, and not eating the things you're not supposed to eat. And I've been trying to start reading some stuff about pregnancy.

17. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@lawbee11: Totally forgot to mention the prenatals! Duh! My doctor's office offered to call in a prescription for me when I scheduled my first appointment, but I've been taking the Target brand gummy prenatals, which don't make me want to throw up, so I decided to stick with them unless my doctor tells me differently.

18. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@lawbee11: I've also cut out all caffeine. I figure, better to be safe, right? I bought some decaf K-cups for my Keurig, so I still get the coffee experience. Works for me!

19. lawbee11

@JamieLee: I agree about the caffeine. I was a total Starbucks addict and it was really hard at first, but now it's not so bad. I pretty much only drink water, milk, and juice, though, so it gets pretty boring. I used to take the Target gummy prenatals, too! The only thing I noticed is that they don't have iron or DHA. I am not sure how important the iron is, but at my pre-conception appointment my doctor told me that DHA is very important in brain development, so I switched to Nature Made prenatal + DHA. You could also just take a DHA supplement along with the gummies, too (if you aren't already).

20. Meridian

pomegranate / 3716 posts

@lawbee11: @JamieLee: Wait, so are these prenatals over the counter or prescription? I need gummy ones because regular vitamins make me gag too!

Unfortunately I am incapable of cutting out all caffeine... but definitely limiting myself to one cup a day!!

21. lawbee11

@sweetchic: Mine are over-the-counter. You can get them anywhere--Target, the grocery store, CVS, etc.

22. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@sweetchic: I agree with the other ladies! Prenatals! Even though I forget to take mine more times than not.

I also cut out caffeine because I'm totally paranoid! Even though I miss my tea so much! Alcohol, obviously cut out as well.

@Alivoo01: Ooooh, you're lucky, my boss always looks at me funny like "why" are you going and I end up feeling obligated to give him some sort of explanation! I hate it!

23. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@sweetchic: Welcome! I think I'm only 1 day ahead of you so we should have very close due dates. Congrats again!

I think I'm going be one of those relaxo preggos that ignores dietary restrictions. I still drink a coffee every couple of days, I've already eaten runny eggs and medium steak. I'm not giving up soft serve. I'll stay away from the alcohol though!

24. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Grace: I have been a bit slack with food, i've eaten some deli meats and chocolate (which I read you're supposed to limit?? anyone else heard this??), I want some over easy eggs SO BAD.

25. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@Grace: I ate a medium burger when I first found out I was pregnant because I think well done burgers are an abomination, but I'm super paranoid, so I will probably limit that. I have also eaten soft cheese (if the cheese is from pasteurized milk, what's the concern?), and a lunch meat sandwich from Jimmy Johns, so I guess I'm not really following the restrictions that well!

@lawbee11: I just looked at my vitamins, and they contain only 50 mg of DHA, so I will be switching when I hit up the store this weekend. Do the ones you take make you sick? I've heard it's the iron that causes nausea...Also, does the DHA give you a weird fishy aftertaste? I used to take fish oil and it gave me "fish burps" which was...unpleasant...

26. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@.twist.: Chocolate!?! What? I've not read that yet! I wonder if it's because of the caffeine?

I'm lucky that I don't like runny eggs, so that's one thing I won't be missing!

27. lawbee11

@.twist.: I have heard that about chocolate--I am pretty sure it's because of the caffeine content. I had a grande peppermint hot chocolate from Starbucks a few days ago, then afterwards I went to their website to check the caffeine content, and it had 25 mg! I know that's much less than the daily allowance, but it still seems like a lot for a drink that's almost all milk.

@JamieLee: I really like the Nature Made + DHA. I am usually not very good at taking large pills, but they are softgels and are coated so they go down really easily. I take them at night right before bed and I haven't ever gotten sick/nauseous or had a weird aftertaste. I purposefully take them before bed, though, so that I can sleep through any unpleasantness!

28. Alivoo01

@Grace: I ate a medium rare steak last week. I can't eat a steak any other way! I tried medium well, and it was sooo dry!!

@.twist.: Yea, chocolate has some caffeine, but I don't think any of us are eating THAT much chocolate to reach the 200/300mg per day limit. I even ocassionally drink tea, which is another no-no/caffienated drink.

29. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@.twist.: No chocolate??? Well, I've had that too. That's definitley going to stay on my list.

@JamieLee: I'm in Canada and you'll never find a burger that's not well done here (I guess unless you ask). I remember the first time I ordered a burger in the US and it came back raw in the middle. I was so horrified. Lol!

Hmm, my prenatal doesn't have DHA either. I'll have to ask the dr about that. I didn't want to switch, for fear of a new one making me sick.

30. JamieLee

clementine / 930 posts

@Grace: my mother in law cooks every thing to well done, including steak and burgers. Steak especially should NEVER be well done. Can you say leather? And well done burger remind me of hockey pucks! I don't like them raw in the middle, but a little pink is perfect!

31. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@lawbee11: @Grace: @Alivoo01: @JamieLee: Right!? During the Christmas season I STUFF my face with chocolate and now I'm so nervous every time yet, I still do it.

Speaking of the holiday season, has anyone been drinking eggnog? It's kind of a weakness of mine and my husband has bought pasteurized eggnog, so I've had a bit of that but am too scared to drink much of it because of the raw egg?

32. lawbee11

@.twist.: I am actually on BabyCenter's email list, and I got an email yesterday about holiday foods to avoid during pregnancy. Here's what it said about eggnog:

"Eggnog: Homemade eggnog is generally off-limits, because it's usually made with raw, unpasteurized eggs — and alcohol. But you can make a virgin, pregnancy-safe version at home with a pasteurized egg product or an egg alternative like Egg Beaters. Or try store-bought eggnog — just check the label to make sure the eggs are pasteurized.

You might also consider "soy nog," which doesn't contain eggs or any other dairy products. You can find it during the winter holidays in most large grocery stores and in natural food stores."

33. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@lawbee11: ah! thanks! I've actually tried soy nog before and it's not bad. However, now that I've read my store bought pasteurized eggnog is safe, I will be going home and promptly making myself an eggnog milkshake.

34. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

Hey everyone! So much action on the board today- I need to catch up

Good luck to the ladies with appointments today! So exciting!!!!!

35. msmay

cherry / 163 posts

@Grace: you are not alone. I look like the wicked witch of the west. I have a zit on my nose that is truly ridiculous in size and now I have others cropping up on my cheeks. What is happening?! lol

@sweetchic: Congrats and Welcome! I think I'm one day behind you! (I O'd on 12/2)

@Grace: @.twist.: @JamieLee: I was so good with food up until last night. And then I ate 3 chocolate-glazed donuts and nearly yacked. I am seriously addicted to chocolate and it is SO difficult to limit it, but yeah, caffeine is an issue. (At least it is when you're having as much chocolate as I normally do...)

@Alivoo01: I'm a big hot tea drinker but some teas have caffeine, other teas you're supposed to stay away from because of certain herbs. I try to have a cup of caffeine free tea every few days, but I've mostly cut it out to be safe.

I'm taking Rainbow Light's Prenatal One- I'm pretty sure it doesn't have DHA. I'm a vegetarian though so I'm exploring some options. Is anyone else here veggie?

36. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@JamieLee: We definitely agree about the steaks!

@msmay: Lol!

37. Alivoo01

@JamieLee: EVERYTHING is cooked well done?? Yikes! haha!

@msmay: I was taking Rainbow Lite's also, but recently, they're starting to have a "weird" taste to me. I supplement with a DHA supplement. This is what I was taking: http://www.drugstore.com/nordic-naturals-prenatal-dha-500mg-fish-oil/qxp342629?catid=183230

My first appt went well! Had a transvaginal ultrasound, and the technician dated the baby to have a due date of Aug 12, 2013 vs the "app" derived due date based on LMP, which gave me a due date of Aug. 9, 2013. However, the OB used the app and set my due date for Aug. 9th. Weird...

We also got to see the heartbeat. It was so weird/cool! We couldn't hear it though. Sad. It was beating at 123bpm! The consultation went smooth and where they gave me a TON of reading material - yay/nay foods to eat, okay OTC drugs to take for various things, a book on pregnancy and childbirth, optional screenings (cystic fibrosis and chromosonal abnormalities), a booklet on when I'll see my OB and what will happen at each visit, more sample prenatal vitamins, etc. Information overload for sure! I can't wait till the next ultrasound to see more of the baby and get to actually hear the heartbeat, even though seeing it palpitate was very cool!

38. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Alivoo01: eeeep! I'm so excited things went well for you!!! Very cool that you got to see the heart beat! How very exciting!

39. lawbee11

@Alivoo01: That's awesome!! So glad your appointment went well!!

40. lawbee11

@Alivoo01: Oh and I forgot to ask, but I assume there's only 1 baby in there?!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee