Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2013 - Postpartum Chat

1. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@MrsB2012: I'm sorry your doc is a little concerned with her weight, that does sound a little stressful. When you say she has dropped off, do you mean she has lost weight or just gone down in percentiles? Her weight doesn't sound that low to me. L was weighed last week and is just over 18, so not much more. I am sure she is just fine and hope she has a wonderful birthday!

@Alivoo01: @Mrs. Oatmeal: I wonder if it is possible to actually do a get-together. It would be pretty spectacular. I'm in SW Ontario. It'd be soooooooooo awesome if people could make it work

2. Mrs. Oatmeal

blogger / honeydew / 7081 posts

@delight: I'm close-ish to you. Maybe 2.5 hours away? We could make that work for sure!

3. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@delight: I don't think I could swing a long weekend now. I have family in SW Ontario though, so it isn't impossible in the future.

4. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@delight: @Mrs. Oatmeal: @Grace: I'm in Texas, but if it's a long weekend/holiday like Labor day, and ticket prices aren't redonk, I could totally try and make something work!!

5. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@delight: I'm not really worried about it, it's just annoying. Mostly because they were talking about testing her thyroid and sending her to a pedi. When you look at her she's obviously healthy. A lot of people comment that she's small and looks younger but some babies are just smaller. I'm not sure if the concern was more that she's only gained 2.5 pounds since Jan or that she fell a lot in the %. Oh well I know she's fine

It's her birthday on Sunday. So sad!! I can't stop thinking about 'this time last year I ate those peaches that had spiders in them and scared the shit out of me that I still think that's why my labor started 3 days later..' and how small and cuddly she used to be. I'm so happy that in just over 6 months I'll have another little cuddly babe!

6. Alivoo01

Anyone else find it "weird" when they type their LO is 1 years old vs 8 months, 10 months, etc. when someone asks how old they are???

7. Mrs. Oatmeal

@Alivoo01: I was just thinking about that today. I still have awhile before she's one, but it will be so bizarre!

8. Alivoo01

@Mrs. Oatmeal: I didn't think it was a big deal when I first wrote, he's almost 1 or turns 1 next week, but now that he's officially 1... It's so weird!!!

9. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Alivoo01: um yes. I feel so weird saying she's a year.

My baby is now 1 year old. So sad over here. I can't believe how fast everything went by! We had a big party with about 35-40 people but it went well. I have few pics on my phone I'll post after but I really didn't get many. We did butterflies, but I really didn't get any pics of the details. Hopefully someone did and can send me some pics. It was a really nice day.

I go back to work tomorrow. I just start with a 4 hour orientation to a new computer system tomorrow, then I start with my regular shifts on Tuesday. It's nice as I just work the 3 ( well 2.5 days ) this week, then I have 5 days off, then I start back with my regular rotation of 4 on 4 off 5 on 5 off. We are managing to use lots of my family with MIL to avoid daycare for now. Once MIL goes to her other house in Oct we might have to do day care if we can't find enough help. Luckily it will just be for 2 - 2.5 months though until I'm on mat leave again.

10. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

11. HTownMom

kiwi / 558 posts

@MrsB2012: wow that is a beautiful party!! And your little girl is too cute! Congrats!!!

12. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@.twist.: @HTownMom: @Alivoo01: @MrsB2012: those parties look awesome! Creative. Congrats on ur 1 yr olds!

We are not doing a party. Just a dinner. I do not have the discipline or creativity to pull off a 1st birthday party.

13. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@MrsB2012: those cookies look so amazing. Sugar cookies are my absolute weakness

14. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@Alivoo01: Nope, I refuse to do it. I'm still saying "almost 12 months" haha.

@MrsB2012: Such a sweet theme. Those cookies look awesome!

15. Mrs. Oatmeal

We have a walker!! K just took off today, she's walking everywhere! And it happened while my mom was watching her. Oh well, she came to greet me at the door and shocked me, so I got over it quick!

16. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: Wha!!!! She took a few steps and just mastered it enough to meet you at the door?!?!? Wow. Way to go K!

@BabyMats: We're just doing dinner too. I'm not fancy enough for a whole party.

@MrsB2012: Wow! Looks beautiful! I love the above pic. Good luck on going back to work.

17. Mrs. Oatmeal

@Grace: she has been taking one or two steps for a few weeks now. Today she just decided that crawling was for suckers lol.

18. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: yay for walking!

@Grace: yup small dinner. MIL tried to invite more people to this dinner but I had to shut her down real quick.

19. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@MrsB2012: hope your first day back was good better that it's a half day

20. HTownMom

kiwi / 558 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: that's awesome! Congrats! C has taken a few steps but is still pretty wobbly!

21. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

I think LO is close to walking. He can take 8-10 steps, and get about halfway across the room. Each day he is walking a little more.

DH did say LO is almost one to someone who asked. Although, I think parents generally say the month until 2, because there is such a big difference between a 12 month old and a 23 month old, who are both one.

@MrsB2012: That is so pretty. I am living vicariously through everyone who is having a birthday party.

22. Alivoo01

@MrsB2012: Pretty!!!!!! Looks like the 1st day back went well for you!!

@Mrs. Oatmeal: Go K!!!!

@mdf106: DS is the same way. He's walking about 10 steps before deciding that he gets to where he wants to be much faster with crawling. lol

23. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: Saw the vid you posted. SO CUTE. I showed it to L and told him to take notes. How was the pirate party?!

@MrsB2012: Beautiful birthday party & gorgeous little girl!

24. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@HTownMom: @BabyMats: @Sapphiresun: @Grace: @mdf106: @Alivoo01: @.twist.: thanks! I wish we had more pics of the little details, I totally forgot to take pictures! There were some cute little things

@Mrs. Oatmeal: @mdf106: @Alivoo01: I cannot believe you guys have walkers! That's crazy! I think it will still be a while before B gets to walking but she seems to lag a month behind everyone else haha.

@BabyMats: last night was a little crazy at work. They put in a new computer system so everything is electronic now. 4 hours was no where near enough to learn everything . I was on the floor by myself today, the morning went well. It was really hard as I said bye to B yesterday at 230pm and then didn't get to see her until 1130am today. We got to hang out until 1 then I had to put her down for her nap. Now I wont see her again until tomorrow morning at 1130. The nice thing about working shitty split shifts is I get to see her at least for the few hours in the afternoon. I did have a 12 hour shift but managed to get this shift. If I had the 12 hour shift I wouldn't see her at all for days at a time. She would be sleeping when I left for work and in bed when I got home. Sometime I hate working in health care! Working all stats, shitty shift times, and no family time. At least I get 4 days off 1 week and 5 days off the next week. Though that makes looking for day care hard

25. Mrs. Oatmeal

@.twist.: pirate party was great...and it just so happens to be pirate week at daycare! So when she goes on Thursday she will get to be a pirate again! Such good timing.

26. .twist.

pineapple / 12802 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: yay!!!! I bet she makes a killer cute pirate!

27. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

I just need to say, I love being back at work. I miss B like mad, but I'm loving the adult interactions, the using my brain, the feeling more independent. I love it! I probably won't be saying that in a few weeks, but so far I'm really happy with the adjustment!

Some how the sleep gods have started looking over us again. B hasn't been STTN since about April ( occasionally she would but not often. ) Somehow since the night I went back to work she has STTN every night. Which is amazing as I already have to get up just after 5 and a 430 feed would just not be good.

I've completely weaned her which makes me really sad. I think it's making me a little hormonal. My boobs hurt so frigging bad! How long did it take others to dry up? I haven't fed her in 2 days. I have these 2 rock hard melons on my chest right now!

28. BabyMats

nectarine / 2031 posts

@MrsB2012: holy crap! That does sound hard. I give u props for working those split shifts but it is a good thing that u at least get to see her in the afternoons. as much a computer system makes things easier it is such a PITA to learn! We just got new computers over here but they are a piece of crap and not working.
    Glad to see that u are happy to be back at work though!
    Eta: yay for sttn!

29. Ocean girl

kiwi / 637 posts

@MrsB2012: omg, this makes me so happy to hear. I go back to work Sept 2nd and have to say I'm excited, albeit nervous! I hope DD turns her sleep around for us too - do you think it's being on the go with daycare that's helping her STTN (please say yes!)?

Congrats on the smooth transition!

30. Alivoo01

@MrsB2012: Yay for STTN!!!!! Still waiting on that sleep god to work his magic on C. lol And YAY for going back to work going well!

As for the boobs, I think it took about a week for my breasts to take note that I wasn't nursing/puming anymore. To help relieve some pressure and release clog ducts, I'd hand express the knot in the shower or have DS nurse a little bit.

I haven't pumped or nursed in almost a month now, and my boobs still retain some milk so I'm not completely dry. It also helped reduce my milk since AF came back so it makes my boobs less painful.

31. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Ocean girl: she's not in daycare, we just have her bouncing between family. I think that is part of it though, a bit of a change in her routine for her. I'm also wondering if I was drying up a bit and she wasn't getting enough milk at night and she was honestly just hungry. Now she drinks a whole bottle, usually 8-10oz of whole milk, so maybe she's more full?

@Alivoo01: A week... of drying up? Oh my lord no. hahah. I can't sleep on my belly with my boobs like this! I thought it only took like 3 days!

32. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@MrsB2012: wow - it's awesome that you love being back at work, even with those split shifts. I love being back too. And so cool that she's STTN! We've changed caregivers for P twice this month (once from me to my mom and then from my mom to DH). Each time, the transition affected night sleep for a bit. Last night was good (although not as good as yours!), so I hope she's settling down.

When is everyone looking to wean (if you haven't already)? It's weird, but I'm not in a hurry. LO only eats at wake, bedtime and when I get home from work, so it's super easy. If you did wean, how did you know/decide it was time?

33. Alivoo01

@MrsB2012: You know the saying everyone's different so maybe it won't take as long for you! I hope so, for your sake!

@Grace: I started weaning from the pump when DS turned 11 months and nursed in the evenings and MOTN. 2 weeks before he turned 1, I stopped nursing him MOTN, and if my boobs weren't hurting too badly, I'd give him a bottle instead of nursing to sleep at night. We never had that special bond while breastfeeding so weaning him wasn't a big deal to either of his. He gets his milk in a bottle and he's happy. However, if he wanted to nurse, I didn't deny him. He hasn't asked for it in awhile though. And the reason I weaned was because I wanted AF back and regulated since DH and I are wanting to TTC soon.

34. MrsB2012

nectarine / 2466 posts

@Grace: I cut out a bunch of feeds in April? May? I wanted AF back so we could TTC. After that I was bf'ing 3x per day. I cute out the afternoon one about 3 weeks ago as I knew when I went back to work it wouldn't be possible to feed her. ( Well I could have done an afternoon feed but that's it. ) I cut out her evening feed maybe last Friday? ( Well I fed her quickly then gave a bottle for a night or two, then just stopped it. ) And I cut out my last morning feed 2 days ago when she didn't wake up in time for me to feed her before work.
    I mostly had to wean because of my work schedule, but I also just want a few months of not bf'ing as I'll be starting it all over again in Feb. I'm not 100% ready to do it, but I feel like it's the best option for us at this time.
    Actually, she's also been extremely squirmy during our last few bf sessions. She was trying to crawl on me while feeding and pulling off all the time. I think I was drying up and she was just getting bored with eating like that as well.

35. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@Grace: I am undecided. I am going to start weaning when LO is one year, in a week and a half. Right now, he is still breastfeeding six times a day, or three times with three bottles. I plan to drop one session a week, although I want to drop the pumping a little quicker, as I already only pump twice at work, while LO has three bottles. I am not sure if I will keep the bedtime nursing or completely wean at about 13 months. LO is pretty attached. I don't really mind the bedtime session. I am actually okay with the session when I get home from work, but I definitely want to drop the morning session, so I have the option of sleeping in, and it seems weird to have only two sessions so close together. Although LO is pretty attached to the after work session. Is it possible to keep only two sessions close together? They would probably be at about 6:30 and 8:30, with dinner in between. It would be nice to have some time having my body to myself before I TTC again in about a year. I don't want to force LO, though. I guess I will see how I feel when I start dropping sessions.

36. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

@mdf106: My understanding is that your body just adjusts to what your baby needs.

37. Mrs. Oatmeal

@Grace: I'm really not sure when I plan to wean totally. She's nursing at wake up and before bed, and sometimes once around 5pm. She doesn't want to give it up, and I'm not in any hurry. Might just play it by ear.
    @MrsB2012: So glad you're loving being at work! And that's awesome that B is STTN for you. I'm hoping K gets the STTN memo before I start back on Tuesday (ahahah yeah right).

38. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

@Mrs. Oatmeal: Yay for walking! We're still waiting on that one here.

@MrsB2012: Still no walking here either. I think she's just too fast at crawling for it to really appeal to her. If I try to walk her around holding her hands she just crumples, even though she'll cruise around furniture for hours

@Grace: Following. We're down to morning, after work and night as well. I think I'm going to eliminate after work fairly soon since I'll be getting off at 4:30 so not home until almost 5:30, and it just makes things too hectic to need to nurse twice between home and bedtime since they're only about 2 hours apart. I plan to hold out as long as she wants to? Or maybe if I get really sick of having to get up at 4:30 am to get to work on time... I budget 30 minutes for it in the morning, so that much extra sleep would be heavenly.

39. Sapphiresun

nectarine / 2220 posts

And today is the big birthday!! I teared up a little putting her to bed last night for the last time before she's no longer my little baby. We're doing the party today, so we're up and at it and trying to get everything set for 1pm.

Will be back with pics from that later today or tomorrow, but this is the cake smash pic with stats I did as a giveaway at the party (all close family that would actually want her picture attending).

40. Mrs. Oatmeal

@Sapphiresun: Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee