Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@MrsADS: Thinking of you and LO

2. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: oh my goodness I'm so sorry. Praying for you guys!!

3. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@MrsADS: How is he doing?

4. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MrsADS: Any update? Thinking of you!

5. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

Well, I wrote a whole update last night and my phone ate it and I was too tired to start over. We're still in the hospital but things are looking up. The feeding is better. His labs showed that his white cell counts were elevated, possible infection. They had him on an oxygen sat monitor and his sats were running low, so that combined with the lethargy, poor feeding, etc made the doctors very nervous. So they did a full septic workup on him (including a lumbar puncture and catheterization). So far the cultures are negative so that's good. But with little babies if they have enough suspicion to do the tests, they put them on 72 hours of IV antibiotics. So, he's been on those and will be until about 6pm tomorrow. At that point, I'm hopeful we can go home if he's still doing better. Today he's been very interested in nursing and pooping like crazy (tons of that seedy yellow BF poop) which are all great improvements. It has truly been hell watching him go through this.

And my post delivery recovery has been really rough, I am thinking about calling the ob tomorrow. I had a 3rd degree episiotomy and I feel like it hurts worse now than it did when I was discharged from the hospital. Probably because I've been with the baby all day and night at the hospital and not resting. I've stayed with him every night with my mom and husband alternating to help. I get an hour or two max of sleep every night, so I just feel crappy. Like spells of shaking all over and stuff. And yesterday my lower calves, feet and ankles started to get really swollen, WAY more than they ever were during pregnancy. I don't know if it's normal or not but they look bad.

6. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

Still looking cute.

7. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@MrsADS: thanks for the update- i have been thinking of you all! Glad to hear things with your LO are improving!! I can't imagine how hard these last few days have been. Try to take care of yourself- definitely call your OB. Oh and fwiw my ankles and calves were really swollen from about 7 days pp until today but definitely mention it just in case. Hang in there

8. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: glad to hear LO seems to be on the mend. I can't imagine watching my baby go through all of that...how heart wrenching. Keeping you in my thoughts tonight.

9. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsADS: He's seriously gorgeous Glad to hear he's doing better. I can't imagine what you've been through. And I hope your recovery gets easier. Try to take care of yourself

10. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@MrsADS: Glad to hear things are starting to go better for your adorable LO. His cheeks are just too cute! Fwiw, my second degree tear definitely felt worse after getting out of the hospital. I think as the swelling starts to go down the stitches pull harder since the tissue isn't as close together. I honestly didn't feel like the pain was improving until 9 or 10 days afterward. I highly recommend a ring pillow to sit on.

11. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MrsADS: SO glad to hear things are looking up! I'm sorry you (and he) had to go through so much. I hope you're able to take care of yourself and get that adorable baby home soon!

12. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: what a sweetheart! glad to hear he is feeling better

So DH and I accidentally didn't wake up for R's MOTN feeding last night. (We are down to only 1 bc I pleaded with my ped/LC and told her I was starting to hallucinate at ever nighttime feeding). Anyway, R slept from midnight to 7am! Actually I'm the one that woke her up. I feel bad but I guess that's pretty cool she can sleep so long. That's what she was doing before we started this feeding routine anyway. And honestly she is never the one to wake up!

I'm trying to figure out how I can start weaning off pumping after every feeding and also supplementing with formula. I think we should be able to EBF at this point but idk how to do it. Hopefully LC will agree with me tomorrow!

13. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@buttermilk: Good luck!! And don't feel bad, that's amazing!! My first slept like that and he's still a pretty good sleeper now, at almost 2! This one slept from 10-5am the other night, but hasn't repeated it yet.

14. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

We had a ped appt today because we had a one week check instead of 2 weeks, so we went back today at a day shy of 4 weeks. All is good and C weighs 10 lbs 6 oz! He has a sacral dimple (small indentation at the top of his bottom...seriously almost looks like he has 2 holes instead of one 😳), but apparently, it's fairly common and not something to be worried about.

15. LauraBear

cherry / 215 posts

@MrsADS: I'm so sorry to hear about your LO! You and him are definitely in my prayers!! I can't imagine what you are going through but know that we are all thinking of you and praying for you and your baby!! Thank you for the updates on him. And the pictures are adorable! He is so handsome

16. LauraBear

cherry / 215 posts

@lilteacherbee: M has one of these, too! I didn't know it was anything until I just read your update but we have his first ped appt today so at least I will be prepared. I thought maybe it was a boy thing - ha.

17. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

@MrsADS: What a whirlwind and what a little champ he is. So glad he is improving.

18. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@MrsADS: so glad it seems like things are getting better! And what a cutie! Those cheeks!

@lilteacherbee: adorable little guy!

@buttermilk: what a great sleeper! Hopefully you get the all clear to ebf!

We are gearing up for family guests for the next 3 weeks... So glad we had time to establish our own routine! Having help will be nice though! Can't believe P is a month old tomorrow... As of today, newborn clothes don't really fit. We are going to weigh her tonight before bath time. She's getting so big!

19. getjazzy

persimmon / 1179 posts

Living in a hellish place at the moment. I'm almost 100% sure S has reflux issues. She's always been a little fussy but no been crying pretty inconsolably for hours the past week. I'm at such a loss, we can't figure out a sure fire way to make her feel better so we are constantly running through a roster of positions and movements. I'm exhausted and seems like I have a headache that has lasted since this phase started. We have an appointment with her doctor on Wednesday and it can't come soon enough. I feel terrible seeing her in pain and so helpless to make it better. We've tried all the "at home" suggestions of keeping her upright and all that.. Hoping to try Zantac or something and see if that will help her out.

20. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@getjazzy: reflux is no joke. It's horrible knowing they're in pain & we can't do anything to help them 😔 I responded on the other thread but have you modified your diet at all?

21. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@buttermilk: I'm SO jealous!!!!!
    @lilteacherbee: M has one of those dimples too!!

22. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

So good news, R gained almost 4 ounces since Friday so she is on 1 ounce away from her birth weight at 2 weeks old. Yay! Pediatrician gave me the go ahead to start pumping & supplementing after only every other feed and not at all at night. SO HAPPY! I can't quit cold turkey bc it could affect my supply. Hoping this next week goes well and she has a great weigh in next week! I'm already noticing that she wants to nurse more frequently since I've been cutting back on the supplements (started experimenting yesterday). And the few times she has gotten a full ounce of supplementation after a feed recently - she has spit up. All good signs my supply is increasing I hope!

23. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: awesome update!

P is one month old today! Weighed her latest night in a colander in our kitchen scale, and she is up to 7 lbs 14 oz. No wonder the newborn clothes were, as DH put it, "form fitting ". 0-3 size is huge though. This has been the fastest, craziest month of my life, but the best. P is just the best baby ever!

24. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@LauraBear: @Portboston: So weird, right?! I noticed it after our first ped visit, but no one had mentioned it to us, either there or at the hospital.

@Mrs. Microscope: C is about to bust out of his newborn clothes at over 10 lbs. I think they've fit this long because he hasn't really grown much lengthwise (21" at his appt yesterday).

@buttermilk: Yay, great news!!

25. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@buttermilk: great news!!
    @Mrs. Microscope: I just put L in a 0-3 romper today because he was getting too long. With J, we had the opposite—he always used to outgrow weight first!

26. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@buttermilk: that's great!!!!
    @Mrs. Microscope: we had that problem too...NB was too small but 0-3 too big. Though it didn't last for long. At 6 weeks M is 4lbs heavier then when we left the hospital. He's a chubby little thing!!!

27. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Getjazzy @portboston feel you on the reflux It's rough on my little guy too. His GI and ped both suggested I consider cutting out dairy so we are going to try that. The ped today also said we could try gripe water and gas drops - not sure I totally buy either one but I guess it can't hurt. He just seems SO uncomfortable with the crying, arching back, etc. and it makes me so sad.

@Laurabear congrats on your little boy's arrival!! I was just reading your update about your labor. I think my DS did eventually turn anterior because he was not born sunny-side up and didn't seem to have any difficulty with descending/pushing (it all went crazy fast). That being said, he had a lot of decels during pushing (which is one of the reasons I ended up with a huge episiotomy), and when he came out, the cord was wrapped all around his body like he'd been turning around in it.

M went to the ped today for his post-hospital follow up; seems like he is doing ok. We are going to keep an eye on everything. We're seeing the lactation consultant tomorrow - he loooves to nurse but his latch is pretty shallow and it's tearing up my nipples. All the LCs we saw in the hospital seem to think he has a tongue tie; the ped said he has one, but it's pretty slight. So, we'll see.

M was born 7 lb 9 oz - was down to 7 lbs on Thursday when he was admitted to the hospital - as of today he was back up to birth weight, 1 week old!!! I am so happy. Go go mama milk. Actually I think I have an oversupply. I am pumping a little before he nurses because I get SO engorged it's hard for him to latch and the milk just pours out. Like last night he fed at 10, 1, 3, and 6 and I pumped for about 5 minutes at 12:30 and another 5 minutes around 6am, and I still pumped almost 10 oz in just those 2 short pump sessions . And when I nurse him on one side, my milk lets down on the other side and just pours out. I have to stuff a washcloth under that boob and it's soaked by the time he finishes that side. I have mostly just been feeding one side at a time, it seems to satisfy him.

28. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: have they talked about meds yet? So far it's the only thing that starting to make a difference for my little guy

29. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Portboston yeah, they started him on Zantac at the hospital a few days ago. I think it is helping some. He still has these spells of being super uncomfortable though.

30. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: it definitely hasn't been a magic bullet for us but I think it's helping some. Reflux super sucks

31. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: that's nuts about your milk supply! I can't even imagine having that much milk!!! I'm happy to get half an ounce pumping after each session lol.

32. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@MrsADS: we had to do a combo of bicycling legs, Zantac, and gas drops for my oldest. Also, when he got a bottle, we used the preemie nipple (dr brown). It was a struggle, but as he got older, his system matured and it wasn't an issue any more.

33. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Mrs. J: Preemie nipples! I need to try those. Pretty sure part of the issue were having with nursing is that it's slow/more work than a bottle. Getting her used to preemie flow might help. And it could help with all the spitting up too. Why didn't I think of that?!

34. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

All those reflux issues sound horrible! Good luck mamas!

I went for a jog/walk yesterday, and my abs are sore! I didn't realize you use those while jogging! I went 2.6 miles, jogging a third of it. Out of shape! it was harder than I thought it would be! How are you guys doing with exercise pp?

35. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk my milk supply is OUT OF CONTROL. I mean, I know it's a good problem to have but it is seriously crazy. The wonderful LC we saw today for a good 2 hours was like wow. Haha. She wanted to do a weighted feed, but M only nursed for 3 minutes, so she didn't think he'd gotten anything, but decided to weigh him anyway. He got 1.5 oz in 3 minutes. My husband bought a deep freezer yesterday because just the milk I'm making from the slight amount of pumping I'm doing to relieve engorgement is taking over our fridge. The LC actually recommended I pump some before I feed him, she thinks he may be getting a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance because I have too much milk for him to empty the breast in one feeding (even just on one side). So, I'm pumping for about 5 minutes, then feeding him on that one side. I feel like I am swimming in milk though. I soaked the sheets on my bed last night. I am just naked or topless most of the time because otherwise my clothes are just soaked in milk every time I feed him - breast pads are NOT enough! The LC did say that as M gets bigger, my supply will regulate itself some. As it is now though, I need about 10 babies to nurse. LOL.

@Mrs. Microscope wow, I am VERY impressed that you're jogging! Right now I am feeling like I am NEVER going to exercise or have sex ever again, haha. TMI but just pooping makes me feel like my perineum is going to split apart. But, the fact you're able to exercise gives me hope that in a few weeks, I may be able to as well!

I weighed myself and I'm down about 21 lbs since delivery 9 days ago... but I did gain about 40 so there's a ways to go.

36. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: wow I'm impressed too !! I'm 6 weeks out and have done zero exercise lol

37. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: well done going for a jog! I'm not allowed to do more than basic walking until after 6 weeks, let's see how I go then!

The physiotherapist at my hospital said I have almost twice the normal abdominal separation thanks to my lovely big boy! I'm wearing SRC recovery shorts in the day to feel a bit more put together and after the 6 week check up I'm going to start recovery pilates at a women's physio nearby. Anyone else needing to do some physical recovery work, or is it more of a c section thing?

Also went to see the LC yesterday and I was so relieved to see C is gaining well and on track to be back at birthweight by 2 weeks old after losing 9%.

Last night he got a gunky eye so I've been cleaning it out, massaging the duct and put a little breastmilk in there. Anyone have any other tips?

Wow this newborn thing is so different from anything I've done before!

38. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@kitty: P has the gooey eye too! The ped says it's a blocked tear duct, and to wipe it with a warm washcloth and massage the inner corner, as well as treat with breast milk. It barely starting to clear up after a month... Some mornings she can barely open her eye it is so gooey and crusty!

Ha, my jog was not that impressive... I sweat 2 hours after I showered! And I had permission from my doc. It's going to be a long road getting back in shape!

39. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: omg a month! I'm glad you said, because I would have been freaking out after a week otherwise. C's is pretty crusty too, fingers crossed for both of them clearing up soon!

40. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@kitty: @Mrs. Microscope: M had a blocked duct. We tried massage and breastmilk but we ended up having to get meds it went away quickly after that.

You guys...M rolled over tonight belly to back!!!! My mom was sitting on the couch playing with him on his belly and she screamed that he rolled over. I said no way and though he just sort of fell towards her because the cushions were slanted since she was sitting there. So she moved away from him and he did it again!!! I guess that's what we get for sleeping him on his belly from the get go!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee