Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Second time or more moms: did you leak less the second time around? I was soaking through cloth pads last time. This time I think I've leaked twice. It's weird.

2. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@Silva: I think I'm leaking the same this time? And really only when I haven't fed her in awhile.

3. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Silva: I didn't have any real leakage to speak of the first time, and the same is true this time too (so far, that is).

4. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@Silva: I'm less engorged this time. No leaking but I never had much. She nursed 10 times yesterday in a 24 HR period

5. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: I am leaking a lot less but I leak a lot at some really random times instead of a constant leak like with #1

6. T.H.O.U.

Agh why can she sleep soundly with tons of noise, lights and no swaddle during the day but then at night she can't do a two hour stretch without a ton of burping.

7. coopsmama

cantaloupe / 6059 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Seriously though. I've nursed no less than 6 times tonight between 11 and 5am. I'm exhausted!

8. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Right!?

9. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: @coopsmama: of course everything I've read says they should be less gassy at night because they are more relaxed while nursing. Not the case here!

10. T.H.O.U.

How often are you guys aiming to do baths?

11. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Uh....when I remember?

12. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@T.H.O.U.: omg I'm having the same problem!!! why is he so gassy at night???!!!! Up every two hours, and then awake for at least half a. Hour because he's too uncomfortable to nurse again.

We still haven't done a bath.. Like, at all. We skipped it at the hospital and have just been waiting for his belly button to heal completely. The stump is off but it was still a little wet underneath. Probably in the next couple of days. We don't do a lot of baths, maybe once a week? My husband has very dry/sensitive skin so we are wary of irritating the kiddos. Also, lazy.

Eta: I have a two week postpartum visit tomorrow with a nurse/lactation consultant so I will let you know if she has any brilliant advice.
    Pet of my problem the last two nights is I ate a bunch of pizza with raw garlic scape pesto on it.... I think it upset his belly

13. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

Guys, I'm really struggling. Finn does not sleep at night. I'm not talking being up every couple hours, or even every hour. I mean up constantly, and it's gotten worse the last three nights. Last night he was up from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. Every time I would put him down after eating, he would cry within minutes. I don't even think he's actually eating all the time, I think he just likes to suck for comfort. During the day he'll eat and then sleep for two hours just fine. I even have to wake him up to feed him. We have a pedi appt today, but anyone deal with this? This is all so much harder than I imagined. I think I'm getting about two hours of sleep daily. Sorry for the novel.

14. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@MrsSCB: I'm so sorry! Sounds like reverse cycling maybe? A friend went through something similar and its brutal. Have you read kellymom? http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling/

15. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@MrsSCB: I'm sorry. It's so so hard. I second the suggestion about reverse cycling. I hope the tips help. So little sleep is brutal.

Also, have you considered a pacifier for comfort sucking?

16. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@MrsSCB: try to get him to feed as much as you can during the day. Tickle his feet, strip him down, feed at least every 2 hours.

My LO is a serious cluster feeder/comfort nurser. She is also the most awake newborn ever. She barely slept all day yesterday, just nursed. Then finally took a monster nap in the afternoon and I was able to sleep too. We're still figuring out night time sleep and I'd really like for her to sleep somewhere other than snuggled up next to me.

17. T.H.O.U.

@MrsSCB: I'm so sorry. It sounds like night and day confused.

@Silva: I have been thinking about my diet too but can't think of anything. She was born like this! But I've been really gassy since delivery too. I'm hoping she can just grow out of it

I'm going to ask the LC about more upright nursing positions.

18. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I just read some research and I guess in the absence of other allergy symptoms (rash, congestion, etc) it's probably not our diet. Most likely just immature immune systems. Going to try belly massage before bed tonight I guess

19. T.H.O.U.

@Silva: I have been having a bit of luck putting her on her side. Not totally 90* but on her back with a flannel blanket under one shoulder.

20. T.H.O.U.

Went to the LC today. She took 3oz from one side. The LC thinks the burps/gas may just be a fast letdown.

21. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Well that sounds reasonable. Did she give tips or tricks to help? Nurse in a reclined position?

22. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@T.H.O.U.: @pregnantbee: I didn't have a fast letdown with my first, but think I might have one now. So I have been nursing in a reclined position and burping frequently (at least in between sides). My little guy likes to pop on and off, but when he pops off and won't immediately re-latch, I burp him then too. It seems to have helped with some of the gas over the past couple days.

23. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: @pwnstar: she said we could offer the empty breast first just so she's not starving and then switch to the fuller breast. Also hand expressing some before starting the feed.

24. MrsSCB

pomelo / 5257 posts

@Silva: @pregnantbee: @T.H.O.U.: @ShootingStar: thanks, I think it could be a bit reverse cycling, and also that he just likes to eat/just suck even when he's not really eating. He's been eating pretty much constantly today, so I'm interested in seeing how the night goes. He's getting food, because he gained 4.5 oz from Saturday to Monday, but he's a bit lazy about it. @ShootingStar: thanks for the suggestions, I do need to be better about making sure he's awake and eating. My pedi suggested pumping a bit so my husband can feed him and I can get a break. I'm undecided because he's a good eater and I'm worried introducing a bottle could confuse him? ETA: I do think being able to feed the baby would be good for my husband. I think he feels like there's not much he can do right now comfort-wise and he really wants to help. it makes me a little sad seeing him rush to pick up F when he's crying and just have to hand him over to me because all he wants is food

25. T.H.O.U.

I hope everyone is enjoying their baby snuggles. Today she was more awake and it made me sad to think these cuddle days may end soon.

She lost her stump yesterday so we started cloth diapers!

26. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

Okay c-section moms, give me all your best tips for a smooth recovery or direct me to your favorite threads!

27. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: I'm no pro--this was my first c/s and our last baby, but fwiw: (1) Day 2 is the hardest day. Stay ahead of your pain with your meds; (2) get up and walk around as soon as you can. Even if it's just a few steps. It will help; and (3) you will likely be really swollen from the IV fluids. It has taken almost 2 weeks for me to see a big reduction in swelling.

28. OldpuebloJenn

kiwi / 595 posts

@pwnstar: thanks for the tips. I'm doing okay getting up and walking, but the swelling! Oy.

29. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Holy angry cluster feeding baby!!!!! He's finally settling down, but he slept all of 90 minutes today- just wide eyed, angry, and desperate for milk.

30. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: Oh yeah. I almost freaked the eff out when I saw myself the first time I changed my clothes. I am just now getting my ankles back and seeing tendons/veins in the tops of my feet (and I will be 2 weeks pp tomorrow).

31. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@Silva: That is so exhausting. I'm sorry! Hope you get some sleep tonight and tomorrow is easier.

32. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@OldpuebloJenn: @pwnstar: For what it's worth, I didn't have a C-section or even an IV, and the swelling was crazy! I finally got my non-pregnant ankles and feet back at about 2.5 or almost 3w post-partum. Crazy. You'll be back to normal soon.

33. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@Silva: Ugh. I feel ya. This, too, shall pass.

34. T.H.O.U.

We are almost at the two week mark and this sleeping in 2 hour blocks at night is catching up to me.

35. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I hear ya. I'm feeling the same. Totally flashing back to how brutal it was the first time around, too. I hope tonight and future nights get better quickly from here.

36. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@T.H.O.U.: So so tired

37. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: yes. With my son I was able to get a good morning nap in and that helped. Now I'm up to take kids to school. I went walking yesterday instead of napping and now I've got a headache and I'm paying for it.

38. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

I don't know what's going on- we definitely got through a cluster feeding 48-hours, and then he napped so well yesterday. Slept 9-11, 11:30-2, and then just wouldn't settle. He was up every hour the rest of the night. We are side-lying nursing which isn't supposed to exacerbate gassiness, but he fusses at my breast until I get up and burp him. Maybe I'm falling asleep while he is still latched and he is getting more than he wants?
    I burst into tears this morning because my asshole husband didn't make coffee before he left for work....my sweet daughter immediately gave me a hug and sat on the floor with me while I tried to pull it together.
    My husband has next week off, so I'm planning to get some naps in and try to figure out what's happening with our nighttime sleep

39. T.H.O.U.

@Silva: the LC said side lie and football hold are two of the worst for fast flow/gas. We are using a cradle hold. Not that I think it's solved any of our issues.

I got some gas drops yesterday but not sure when to give them to her? Wait until she's fussy and grunting?

40. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@T.H.O.U.: yeah we may try gas drops, too. I'm starting to suspect mild reflux, although he's gaining weight like a champ. Interesting about what your LC said. I've been trying to sit up and nurse him in cradle, but then we lie back down and I let him nurse a little more to sleep and I suspect he's latching on while we sleep

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee