Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

December 2013 Mama Appointments

1. sosaysmegan

olive / 65 posts

Yay, two anatomy scans today! @PurplePeony and @MyNoahBear, hope everything is going well for you. And @Pirouette, yours is tomorrow-- exciting!

My appointment today was pretty routine, just going over anatomy scan and second trimester screening results. Everything's normal and on target, but apparently I have a marginal placenta previa. The doctor seemed to think that it will most likely move away from my cervix as my uterus continues to grow. but if it doesn't I'll likely need a c-section (which is a bummer, but still results in a healthy baby, right?). Lady-baby was moving around like crazy while the doc was checking her heartbeat with the Doppler, which was funny and definitely weird, now that I'm able to feel her moving. I'll see the doc next on 9/5 for another routine visit.

2. heffalump

GOLD / wonderful grape / 20289 posts

Hey girls! So exciting to hear all of he updates!

My OB visits haven't been so great. Baby is fine, but my doctor's office seems to be screwing things up. I went for my anatomy scan last Tuesday and the ultrasound tech told me that they made a mistake, I'm supposed to have an upper level ultrasound so she can't do it. I have to go to a special place to get it done. Nobody told me that I was going to have to have this done, so it came as a surprise. She said it was because I take narcotics (for migraines) which I get, but why didn't anybody tell me this before? Then she said since it was their mistake she would tell me the gender. I said I didn't want to know the gender, so she said no ulrasound. I said I just wanted to see the heartbeat and she did that for me. Then at my next OB apt a week later we asked the doctor about this, and she said that it was written in my paperwork that they wanted to consider an upper level ultrasound if there were red flags in my anatomy scan. So I don't really need this, but since it's scheduled already I'm going to do it. Major communication issues there. So that apt. is for this Monday.

I also had issues at my last apt because they scheduled me to see a midwife instead of a doctor, when I specifically requested to see doctors. I had important things to talk about with my migraine issues/medications, and they made me wait over an hour to fit me in with a doctor. I felt like I was being punished when it was their mistake to begin with. I used this same practice for my last LO and didn't have any of these issues.

Thanks for letting me vent

3. mynoahbear

pear / 1554 posts

Went for my anatomy scan. Everything is fine....baby looks good, measuring normal, and active. It took a bit to finally see that baby is a girl. DH is slightly shocked...he's one of 4 boys so when we found out E was a girl, he was surprised but now with new baby being a girl, he's even more surprised. Next appointment is September 9th for the glucose test.

4. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@sosaysmegan: i don't totally understand what placenta previa is but hopefully it will work itself out so you can have a normal labor!

@artbee: sounds so disorganized all around! stuff like that drives me crazy. I'm sorry you've had such a rough time with them this time around. did you eventually get any advice on your migraines? have they gotten worse again? i hope you feel better!

@mynoahbear: yay another girl!! that's funny, i was totally stunned too that we are having a girl, i really thought we were having a boy (and boys run in DH's family as well). I made a gender thread in December 2013 a while back, you should add your vote for team pink

5. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

Updating!

8/9: Pirouette: Anatomy Scan (2)
    8/12: Artbee: upper level u/s
    8/16: Lamariniere: Anatomy Scan (baby, show your goods!)
    8/19: Kiki: Anatomy Scan
    8/22: Lamariniere: doc appt
    8/23: MrsDoily: Midwife appointment
    8/27: Kiki: doc appt
    9/5: Sosaysmegan: doc appt
    9/9: Mynoahbear: Glucose 1-hour
    9/10: Pirouette: Glucose 1-hour

6. heffalump

@Pirouette: Migraines got pretty bad.... I've been to the ER four times so far, and it got to the point where I couldn't get off the couch for days and even then I still felt like dying I'm on prednisone now so that keeps me feeling good, but it's not healthy for baby to be on it long term. My doctor didn't really have an answer for what is worse, taking narcotics daily (when they barely even help with the pain) or being on prednisone. There are 5 doctors in the practice and they all get together on mondays to talk about problem patients such as myself, so they're going to try to figure out what is best for me and baby.

7. PurplePeony

pomegranate / 3113 posts

Hi ladies! I hope everyone is feeling well. @mynoahbear: congrats on a girl! @artbee: Sorry about the issues with your appointments, that's really frustrating. Especially since its not like you're a new patient and they need to get up to speed with things, they should really have things better set for you by now. @sosaysmegan: Fingers crossed that the placenta previa resolves itself soon! @pirouette: good luck tomorrow!

My anatomy scan went well today, everything looks completely normal so we're super happy about that! We're on team green so no big announcements, but I was interested to hear that the radiologist doesn't even tell the midwives what the sex is, so they'll be as surprised as we are when baby makes its appearance! I thought they'd have a secret little note in the chart somewhere, but she said no. The only weird thing today was that when she measured my fundal height, I was 19.5 weeks, by my due date I'm 20w5d, and the ultrasound put the baby at 21w3d. I was surprised at the difference, but at least now I won't worry too much if things look a little off now and then. I'm only up 9 pounds so far, which I guess is a bit less than the "optimal" amount at this point, but baby was 65th percentile so I'm pretty sure it's taking what it needs!

8. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@artbee: I'm so sorry! i'm glad to hear that although they don't seem to have their acts together with appointments, they do seem to be on top of this and are providing you with the best care. I can't believe how badly you are suffering I wish there was something they could do to (safely) put you out of your misery!

@PurplePeony: that's crazy they don't even tell the midwive the sex! i had my 20 week appt earlier this week (at 20w3d) and was only up around 7 lbs, but the doc said that weight is irrelevant as long as baby is measuring ok...and yours sure is! I read that u/s measurements are less accurate as you get further along (which is why they do the dating u/s so early), so who knows!

9. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@sosaysmegan: I also had a marginal placenta previa with my first pregnancy. The doctor said no DTD for a month and then they checked again via u/s and the placenta had moved away from the exit, so to speak and I went on to have an uncomplicated vaginal birth. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

@artbee: omg, so much drama! I hope they can figure out your migranes soon, that sounds just awful!

@mynoahbear: congrats on another girl!

@PurplePeony: I'm glad to hear that everything is going well.

10. heffalump

Well my apt went great! Baby is healthy, so much worrying for nothing. And we asked the doctor who did my ultrasound what he thought about different meds, he said prednisone is pretty safe for baby and it's what helps me the most so I'll stay on it long term. Now I just have to call my OB and neurologist and hope that they agree and will give me the meds..... I feel like they will

11. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@artbee: that's great! isn't it nice when the meds that are safest for baby also happen to be the ones that help you the most?!

12. PurplePeony

pomegranate / 3113 posts

@artbee: I'm glad the baby is well and they were able to figure things out for you! You must be relieved.

13. heffalump

@Pirouette: Yes! The doctor told me everything I wanted to hear- baby is healthy and I can stay on the meds I want. When I'm on narcotics not only are they not great for baby but they barely even work..... just make it so I don't want to chop my head off at that moment, and then they wear off and I can't do a thing but lay on the couch.

@PurplePeony: Thanks, it's a huge relief

14. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@artbee: Yay! i'm so happy for you...although i hope you reach a point where you don't need ANY drugs and these migraines stop making life so difficult for you!

15. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

I had my anatomy scan today -- finally! The baby looks totally normal and we found out it is a GIRL! We are beyond thrilled because we were really hoping our son would have a sister.

16. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

Had a regular appointment today and everything is still on track. I'm up almost 20lbs though! Gah! I only gained 29lbs with my 1st pregnancy, but I did start this one at a lower weight. Not too worried (yet) since I really think the vast majority of the weight is belly, boobs and fluids.

I'm updating the list:

8/26: Lamariniere: toxoplasmosis and Hep-B blood tests (does anyone else do toxoplasmosis? It seems to be a concern in Europe, but I don't remember doing it in the US.)
    9/23: Lamariniere: Glucose 1-hour + another toxoplasmosis
    9/26: Lamariniere: doc appt

17. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@lamariniere: yay for a good appt! i have a feeling my weight gain will have skyrocketed by my next appt too...trying not to worry about it i've never heard of toxoplasmosis - what is it?!

18. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Pirouette: it's that thing you get from cat poo and apparently can come from certain foods. In any case, my doctor says I need to get tested for it like 3-4 times throughout my pregnancy even though I'm never near cats!

19. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@lamariniere: so weird!! I've never heard of being tested for that, let alone 4x and without having a pet!

20. PurplePeony

pomegranate / 3113 posts

Oh , I should add my next appointment, just a regular checkup.

8/26: Lamariniere: toxoplasmosis and Hep-B blood tests (does anyone else do toxoplasmosis? It seems to be a concern in Europe, but I don't remember doing it in the US.)
    9/4: PurplePeony: MW appt
    9/23: Lamariniere: Glucose 1-hour + another toxoplasmosis
    9/26: Lamariniere: doc appt

@lamariniere: I've heard this is common in Europe, but I don't know of anyone in the US who has been regularly tested. I do "know" someone from another forum who got tested because of something on an ultrasound that could have been an indicator of it, but it turned out negative. It's mainly a risk if you have outdoor cats who kill/eat wild rodents (or, I guess, if you have an indoor cat and a rodent infestation), or if you eat garden veggies without properly washing them (since the soil can get poo'd in). If you have an indoor cat who eats commercial food only, I understand the risk to be relatively low. The only things I can think of that would account for the difference between European and US practices are 1) older housing stock, meaning possibly greater risk of rodents, and 2) more local veggie consumption so maybe greater possibility of contamination?

21. mrsmate

persimmon / 1081 posts

I have a checkup 8/27 w/my OB. Hope everyone is doing well!

22. Kiki

cherry / 157 posts

@lamariniere: I live in England and to my knowledge have not had that test before and this is my second pregnancy here. I will double check at my appointment on Tuesday though

23. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@PurplePeony: @Kiki: I finally did a little reading on Wikipedia about toxoplasmosis and it seems that only 5 countries regularly test pregnant women, Austria being one of them. France is too, which I suppose is why my French MIL freaked out during my last pregnancy (while in the US) when I said I hadn't heard of toxoplasmosis and wouldn't be tested for it.

I had the blood draw today and the technician who was doing it was completely not paying attention and pricked my finger and midway through taking the sample realized she was doing the WRONG test, and then had to stick me in the arm. Geez.

24. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@lamariniere: oh my god, she has ONE job, to pay attention to that kind of thing! i'm sorry, that sucks just curious, do those five countries have a high incidence of stray cats? i wonder if that might affect whether they test for it.

25. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Pirouette: Wikipedia says Portugal, France, Austria, Uruguay and Italy are the main ones with Germany, Switzerland and Belgium having "regional" programs, whatever they may be. From what I know of Austria and France there aren't many stray cats. Who knows...at least all of the tests are covered by the social health insurance here. In other wacky toxoplasmosis news, there is an interesting correlation between toxoplasmosis and "crazy cat lady syndrome"

26. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@lamariniere: but i thought crazy cat ladies didn't have children, because the cats ARE their children, haha! that's pretty funny, and really so random! i would think they'd test for everything under the sun in ny (sure seems like they do!) and there sure are a lot of crazy cat ladies here

27. beesknees

cherry / 115 posts

@lamariniere - ACK! me too!!!! up almost 20 pounds, and last time I think i put on like 30 pounds total? I'm trying to be really cool about it, but it is kind of weighing on me, no pun intended! THOUGH like you I'm starting 20 pounds under the weight I was with numero uno. but unlike you, its not just in my boobs and belly. there's a bit in my thighs and calves

28. Kiki

cherry / 157 posts

My appointment today went good. It was my last one on one appointment and I will now have group appointments. Will be interesting to check out.

My next appointment is on September 3 and then September 30.

29. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Pirouette: Yeah, I feel like I got tested for everything possible in NY, which is why I was surprised to hear my MIL ranting about toxoplasmosis the first time around.

@beesknees: glad I'm not the only one I'm just chalking it up to everything going bigger/faster with this pregnancy.

@Kiki: What is a group appointment?

30. mrsdoily

apricot / 367 posts

So I have a crap ton of appointments coming up!

I have my glucose test and a routine monthly appointment on 9/20.

Then in October I am switching to twice a week appointments! I have one October 9th and October 23rd, along with ultrasounds monitoring baby boy's growth.

I also have a fetal echocardiogram for baby boy on November 6th, along with a meeting with a pediatric cardiologist and another routine check up.

After that I have an appoint on November 20th and every week after that until I give birth!

31. mrsmate

persimmon / 1081 posts

I had a checkup this morning and everything looks great. I am still -5lbs since BFP (I'm 22+2 today), but I'm measuring where I need to...actually a half cm ahead. Doc even suggested I start hitting the ice cream!

But don't hate me yet - I was getting dressed this morning and my hips have turned into cellulite city. And I have stretch marks there, too! I don't know if it's pregnancy-related or just age but I will be hitting the gym. Yes, I will.

My next appt is 9/24, and I'll be doing the glucose test before seeing the doctor.

32. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

Hi ladies. I had a regular check up today and everything is looking good. The only slight worry I had was that I have started to feel some Braxton Hicks contractions over the last two weeks. The doctor reassured me that it is normal and even checked my cervix via ultrasound and it is definitely closed and a good length. We took a quick peek at DD too and she is measuring right on track, doc estimates 1.4 kilos at this point. I must say, I really like my doctor so far. He seems so much more interested and thorough than the doctors I had in the US. He also spends waaaaay more time with me, I think I was in his office for at least 45 minutes!

I have my glucose test tomorrow along with another toxoplasmosis test. I mentioned to the doctor that US doctors don't typically screen for toxoplasmosis and he said he was aware of that. He said a lot of it seems to be diet related (think steak tartar consumption!) and in Austria women have a 50% chance of developing it, whereas in France it is more like 80% and the UK is around 20%. I guess it must be really low in the US if doctors aren't concerned. He said that after the birth they will even test umbilical cord blood to make absolutely certain that nothing was passed on to the baby! Crazy!

As for upcoming appointments, I'm going to get the flu vaccination on Monday. My next regular appointment is 10/24.

33. PurplePeony

pomegranate / 3113 posts

@lamariniere: What your doctor said is interesting! I'm glad the baby is on track and, even though I haven't had BHs yet, my midwives already mentioned that they might happen and not to worry unless it's accompanied by something else like real pain, bleeding, etc.

My next appointment (GD test and regular checkup) isn't until 10/7 but I called them today because I got the WORST leg cramp last night! It woke me out of a sound sleep, which woke my DH and completely freaked out the cat. I think it must have happened around 4am or so, and it still kinda hurts now at 2 pm. They recommended calcium-magnesium supplements with a banana a couple hours before bed, making sure to stay hydrated, and stretching. But OMG, I am scared for labor if that thing is any indication of what contractions might be like...I've never felt pain like that before.

34. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@mrsmate: hope your glucose test went well last week! assuming it did, enjoy the ice cream (i have ice cream every night before bed, but i did this before i was pregnant too )

@lamariniere: ha, i'm still blaming all those stray cats so glad you love your doctor! i haven't had any BH yet, i don't think. just some more painful sensations that feel like she's trying to change positions. think she's running out of room!

@mrsdoily: I'm jealous that you're already switching to every 2 weeks!

Is everyone switching to every 2 week appts now? my next appt is Oct 8, and my doc said i'll have one more in 4 weeks (early Nov) before i switch to every 2 weeks...seems like a long time to wait! but i have a 32 week u/s at the good u/s place, so i'm super excited about that (end of oct).

@Kiki: hope you have a good appt today!

Long overdue update to the appt list!

10/7: Purplepeony - glucose test/doc appt
    10/8: Pirouette - doc appt
    10/9: MrsDoily - doc appt
    10/23: MrsDoily - doc appt
    10/24: lamariniere - doc appt
    11/6: MrsDoily - fetal echocardiogram
    11/20: MrsDoily - doc appt

35. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Pirouette: during my first pregnancy I don't recall ever feeling any contractions until the big day. I do remember my doctor asking me around week 37 or so if I had felt any and I said no and she said, "well you're having one right now!" Didn't feel a thing! That's also exciting about a 32 week u/s. I asked my doctor if I would have any more other than the ones he does with his crappy machine during regular visits and it seems as though I won't unless there is a concern.

I haven't switched to 2 week appointments yet. Not sure when it will happen.

I finally had my glucose test today. I tried to do it last Friday but it was a total failure. In the US, you don't have to be fasting for the test, right? I showed up Friday morning after breakfast and they told me I was supposed to have an empty stomach, so they sent me home. Today I showed up on an empty stomach, and, of course, an empty bladder. I was supposed to give them a urine sample right away but just couldn't do it. So I waited. When it was my turn the lab tech took 3 vials of blood work, pricked my finger to test my fasting glucose levels and then I had to drink the drink, which was not the orange soda stuff like in the US. I think they literally mix it themselves in the lab because she poured it out of a pitcher and it was just slightly warm sugary water, like drinking simple syrup. After I drank it, the tech told me not to eat or drink or pee or SMOKE and I was like seriously lady? Do you think a pregnant woman is going to go start chain smoking!?!? So I drank it down, then waited an hour and gave another vial of blood and finally was able to do the urine sample. Then, I had to wait ANOTHER hour, give another vial of blood and do a final urine sample. Crazy right? I really hope I passed because I do not want to was another three hours of my life at that lab! Sorry for the mini novel, I just can't stop comparing my US pregnancy to my Austrian one!

36. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@lamariniere: oh wow, what a crazy experience! i totally ate before my 1 hour - my doc just said not to eat within 2 hours of the drink...but it sounds like what you had was the 2-hour test, which they don't do in most of the US, so maybe the rules are more similar to the 3-hour, for which you have to fast? i hope you passed and don't have to do that again! (and i'm glad you were able to resist the urge to light up a cigarette in the lab )

that's also crazy about the contractions! i'm wondering if i'm having them but not feeling them. Everyone says "your stomach gets really hard" but my stomach feels hard all the time! i don't feel a tightening or anything.

I'm SO excited about the 32 week u/s - my doc office has the crappy u/s machine too...i was so spoiled by the u/s center and now i can't wait to go back!

37. Kiki

cherry / 157 posts

@Pirouette:

UGH!! Did not like today's appointment at all!!!!

never received a call to go do the 3 hour Glucose test but should have. So I figured 11 days after doing the test I was in the clear. Nope just fell through the cracks

Have been having high blood pressure and now have to go in at least once before my next appointment which isn't until Nov 4th.

On a plus side I am only up 6 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. I have been loosing weight for the last 2 appointments, But not too much that they are worried...yet

38. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@Kiki: oh my god that's so not cool! how could they not call you and tell you?! did they say they would call if you failed? i would have thrown a fit!! sorry you're dealing with high bp too do you have to monitor at home?

updating list:

10/7: Purplepeony - glucose test/doc appt
    10/8: Pirouette - doc appt
    10/9: MrsDoily - doc appt
    10/23: MrsDoily - doc appt
    10/24: lamariniere - doc appt
    11/4: kiki - doc appt
    11/6: MrsDoily - fetal echocardiogram
    11/20: MrsDoily - doc appt

39. mrsmate

persimmon / 1081 posts

@Pirouette: yes, glucose test was fine. I was a little worried bc it was super hectic that morning bc DD woke up an hour later than usual (of all days, why that day???) and I still had to take her to daycare, so I'd had nothing to eat or drink besides the glucola and a 16oz travel mug of coffee. What a relief it was to be over with that morning!

That's not even the craziest part of the day...it turned out I had gained 7lbs in the 4wks since my last appt! I've never gained so much weight bw appts, but the doc wasn't worried at all.

I am now going 2wks bw appts, so my next appt is 10/8. I also saw my PCP today to get my flu and tdap shots.

@Kiki: that blows! I'd be so mad.
    @lamariniere: I don't know if I'm having BHs too but if I exert myself physically in any way my belly gets really tight. This morning I was speed walking to the subway with DD in a stroller and my belly tightened up so much I had to do my Lamaze breathing!

40. Kiki

cherry / 157 posts

@Pirouette: this hospital is a no news is good news kind of place (got to love military hospitals, right?). I don't currently have a bp cuff but they might issue me one depending on how things go between now and my next appointment.

I am pretty mad but i know it isn't the doctors fault so I didn't get crazy on him. He did tell me to call after my 3 hr test to find out the results

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee