Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Disney World Planning Thread 2018

1. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@Boymama3: We really like Raglan Road if you're willing to go to Disney Springs. The food is delicious and there's live entertainment!

2. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

We’ll have kids about the same age, and we’re going to T Rex in Disney Springs.

3. Boymama3

apple seed / 3 posts

All great recs- thank you!! My boys LOVE dinosaurs so will have to check out the t-Rex cafe. We are staying at the Grand Floridian - is that far from Disney Springs?

4. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

I really liked Sanaa for breakfast and yes to Touring Plans for last minute reservations.

5. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

Resurrecting this thread now that it's almost time for fastpasses - I don't know what to do! My dilemma is that only one of my kids will be 38" tall, so a lot of the more popular rides are already off our list. Here's what I've got:

Magic Kingdom (2 days, 6 fastpasses):
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (38", so only one kid can go)
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Barnstormer
    ???
    ???
    I guess I could do Barnstormer for both days?

Epcot:
    Frozen Ever After
    The Seas with Nemo and Friends
    Turtle Talk

Hollywood Studios:
    Toy Story Mania
    ???
    ???

Animal Kingdom:
    Na'vi River Journey
    Kilimanjaro Safaris
    Finding Nemo

We're going to have one more day, and decide what to do based on where we have the most fun. I'm thinking I'll see if I can get a Flight of Passage fastpass for that day in case we end up there.

6. shabang

apricot / 370 posts

@erinbaderin: We were there last week, and we also have only one child over 38".

Here's what we did off your list -

Magic Kingdom (2 days, 6 fastpasses):
    Pirates of the Caribbean - didn't need fastpass, 25 min wait most of the time
    Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (38", so only one kid can go) - get a fastpass if you can, we didn't, but my one daughter would have loved to go
    Peter Pan's Flight - fastpass!, not worth it to wait 90 min or more otherwise
    Barnstormer - this wait was manageable when we were there (at times only 5 min)

Others we could have fastpassed were the Tomorrowland speedway (not sure if that's an option) if your kids like cars. Also, the Voyage of the little mermaid was busy, so our fastpass paid off, but I think we could have just checked wait times. My kids absolute favorites were the teacups, Dumbo, small world, and the carousel, and we didn't need fastpasses for multiple rides on those.

Epcot:
    Frozen Ever After - fastpass!
    The Seas with Nemo and Friends - neither one of these really needed a fastpass, but there wasn't much else to Fastpass at Epcot, and they were both fun for the kids.
    Turtle Talk
    You won't need a fastpass if you watch wait times, but my kids also enjoyed planet earth and the imagination/figment ride.

Hollywood Studios:
    Toy Story Mania - yes, fastpass, and worth it
    We also did the shows, frozen singalong and beauty and the beast. We didn't really need the fastpasses. We didn't have one for the little mermaid show and waited one out before getting in, but it wasn't a big deal.

Animal Kingdom:
    Na'vi River Journey - yes, fastpass
    Kilimanjaro Safaris - yes, fastpass - our favorite
    Finding Nemo - yes, fastpass not really necessary
    Flight of Passage was a 3 hour wait the whole time we were there, so if you or your husband want to do that, I'd fastpass it. Everyone says it's amazing.

7. shabang

apricot / 370 posts

Also, you may have more crowds depending on when you're going, so what we did may not help. We were there on a relatively low-crowd week.

8. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@shabang: This is so helpful, thank you! We're going at the beginning of March - it seems like it's going to be around 5 or 6 crowd levels, so hopefully not too bad.

9. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@erinbaderin: For MK I would add a combination of Haunted Mansion/Jungle Cruise/Buzz Lightyear if you're planning to do those rides. Those can all get pretty high waits in the afternoon. Most of the other kiddie rides like Little Mermaid, Pooh, and Dumbo you can get 4th/5th/6th fast passes for later in the day.

Epcot: Those should work but you can switch Turtle Talk or Nemo out with Spaceship Earth if you're planning to do that! None of the Tier 2 fast passes are super necessary there.

Hollywood Studios: This one is hardest with little kids but I agree with Frozen and Beauty and the Beast.

Animal Kingdom: The only one I would possibly switch in Finding Nemo because fast pass isn't necessary for it. We got one for Adventurers Outpost (meeting Mickey & Minnie) instead.

10. Hypatia

kiwi / 500 posts

@shabang: We’re going December 11-17 next year. How were the crowds when you visited?

We were there 10-16 two years ago and it wasn’t crowded at all. Like no wait for Pirates or Little Mermaid. The only things with a 20 min or more line were Peter Pan, Seven Dwarfs, etc. I’ve read that the crowds are getting worse, though?

11. shabang

apricot / 370 posts

@Hypatia: I think it’s changed a bit, more crowded. We quickly realized 25 min was not a bad wait for anything. I think small world was around 20 usually, but the queue is so long that you move slowly the whole time you’re waiting and there’s enough to see that it doesn’t seem bad. The app is super helpful, and when we saw low wait times on rides, we headed over. There’s seriously a line for everything, but after a day, we just got used to it. That said, we didn’t wait in lines for rides that were more than 25 min - with 3 young kids, we were just trying to do what was feasible for us. The fast passes were amazing for the longer-wait rides.

12. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

@Hypatia: Star Wars land opens next fall, so I’d imagine next year it will be crazy. We’ve talked about going next year, but I’m wondering if we should push it back another year.

13. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

@erinbaderin: for Magic Kingdom I might do The Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion over The Barnstomer.

I’d Epcot I’d do Journey to Imagination or Spaceship Earth of the Nemo ones.

14. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

REmember to work in your first ride of the day. It should be the ride you didn't get a fast pass but wanted one....if you are going to be there at rope drop (opening).
    Magic Kingdom
    Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Yaaaaaaaaassssssss!!!!
    Peter Pan's Flight (consider two days of this-kids love this one bc you are flying)
    Barnstormer * wasn't that crowded.
    *Get Dumbo or Fantasyland rides at Rope Drop (when it first opens
    *Tomorrowland Cars would be a good FP, line is long..or swap out with Fantasy land at Rope Drop
    *I'm a sucker for Jungle Cruise!

Epcot:
    Frozen Ever After
    The Seas with Nemo and Friends (don't need)
    Turtle Talk (probably don't need)
    *Spaceship Earth (is closing at some point for awhile)
    *Get a pic with Mickey Meet and Greet FP here
    Hollywood Studios:
    Toy Story Mania
    Frozen (if nothing else)

Animal Kingdom:
    Na'vi River Journey (this ride is not that great but definitely 'popular)
    Kilimanjaro Safaris YES (go twice- rope drop and your fast pass-it is that awesome- the earlier, the better bc animals are lively in morning)
    Finding Nemo NO

15. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

I’m freaking out - this morning I got an email from Touring Plans that the crowd predictions have changed, and everything has gone from 4s and 5s to 8s, 9s, and 10s! What happened?!?!

16. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: I got the same email. I don’t put a ton of stock into crowd calendars, some days they predict low crowds and it feels super crowded. And vice versa. They have Animal Kingdom as “10” every day of our trip and I just can’t believe that’s true. The source I rely on the most (easywdw) stopped doing crowd calendars because he said they were impossible to predict and basically a stab in the dark with Disney frequently changing operating hours and the amount of staff they have on hand.

I think as long as you go early and use Fastpasses wisely any uptick in crowds won’t be that noticeable.

17. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@charm55: I was hoping you would weigh in, as my Disney Guru - thank you! I also checked Kenny the Pirate and he has our schedule as more or less what he recommends, so I'm feeling a little better.

How's your planning going? Did you get the fastpasses you were looking for? I found the whole fastpass thing a little overwhelming, I should have looked at it more carefully before it started - I'd get a 9:45 and then an 11:35 and then I wouldn't be able to get anything else, and it was a bit of a mishmash, but I think I've sorted it out now. Less than TWO MONTHS!

18. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: it’s going well! We got mostly everything we wanted, except for 7 Dwarves on our first MK day, but we will do it on our 2nd MK day. I’m really excited to try slinky dog dash - my dd2 is toy story obsessed. My sister decided last minute to join us for a few days and surprise my girls (She lives in AB so we don’t see her often) but of course I couldn’t line all her fastpasses up with ours because she just bought her tickets yesterday and the hard to get FPs were already gone . Ugh... going to have to play around with that for the next few weeks.

It’s getting so close !!! 🤗🤗 I booked our stroller rental yesterday so now all we have left to do is add our dining plan. I’ll probably do that this week.

19. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@charm55: @erinbaderin: Did either of you guys book one of the Early Morning Magic Food things (whatever the actual name is) at Magic Kingdom or HS? I've read some reviews for them, but can't decide if the price is worth it. I've heard of some people being able to ride 7 dwarves and Slinky Dog Dash multiple times before the park opens.

20. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@Anagram: We did it at HS and it was great! DH did Slinky once (DD was .25 inches too short and I'm pregnant), Alien Swirling Saucers five times, Toy Story Mania twice, and met Buzz, Woody, and Jessie.

Buzz, Woody, and Jessie all get long lines during the day and our daughter is a huge Toy Story fan. It was also nice to be able to walk around in a practically empty Toy Story Land.

Highly recommend especially if your kids can get on Slinky - we felt like we got good value out of it even without multiple Slinky rides.

ETA: the breakfast was great too!

21. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@charm55: walled you!

22. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@skinnycow: Is Slinky Dog 38 or 40? Both girls are over 38 inches tall now, but DD2 is only 38.5. Another reason I'm having trouble deciding between an end of April trip and an end of August trip---*maybe* DD2 will be 40 inches by end of August? It's a gamble, lol. I want them both to be able to ride almost everything. DD1 is over 44 inches now, so she can officially ride everything. Even if DD2 were 40 with shoes, then both girls could ride almost everything we want to do (except Flight of Passage and Test Track, I guess).

My theoretical plan in my head would be to do a pre-park reservation at Akershus to get an early morning ride on Frozen in. Same thing for Magic Kingdom, but maybe at BOG (last time we did it at Cinderella's castle). And then maybe the early morning magic dining at HS? I don't have a plan of action for AK yet--are there any dining options there that give you an advantage?

23. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@Anagram: I didn’t book the early morning magic, mostly because the price x 4 with the Canadian exchange rate is more than I can swallow. I have heard great things about the MK one and they recently added more rides to the lineup. My DH and I did do the After Hours event at MK last year as a date night and that was a BLAST. I think we might do it again this year but haven’t booked it yet

24. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@Anagram: It's 38 inches. We're waiting for our next trip until DD hits 40 inches because so many rides have a 40 inch requirement.

I don't think there's any dining at AK that gives you a great advantage. Tusker House is good to get you to the safari but it puts you at a disadvantage if you want to head to Avatar Land first.

We also did BOG for breakfast and it was nice to be ahead of the crowds.

25. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Anagram: I didn't book them, because I couldn't stand paying that much money on top of what I'm already paying, plus my kids aren't really tall enough to go on anything REALLY popular - B is just over 40" but W isn't even 34", so it seemed pointless to pay an extra $400 (damn you, exchange rate!) for half of us to sit out every ride.

My current debate - keep my reservations at Sci Fi Café and take my chances with Fantasmic, or change to lunch at Mama Melrose and the Fantasmic dining package? Dinner packages seem to be all booked up.

26. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: I’d go with whichever menu appeals to you more. They’re both really good. Fantasmic is pretty easy to see on its own, we always get it as a 4th FP after we used our inital 3.

My current debate is whether to keep Beaches & Cream on our arrival night ... there’s 11 of us and all I could get is 3 separate reservations 30 minutes apart, not ideal for our first night... maybe we will do something else around the Boardwalk instead. But my oldest has her heart set on the kitchen sink !

27. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@erinbaderin: We've never had issues getting seats at Fantasmic. We really enjoy Sci Fi Diner but haven't eaten at Mama Melrose.

28. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: did you get a FP for Flight of Passage?? It’s an incredible ride and totally worth doing. You only need 1 FP for either you or your DH and then can do rider swap so the other can ride afterwards.

29. Hypatia

kiwi / 500 posts

Is this site correct that we can essentially double our fast passes by using rider switch?

https://wdwprepschool.com/how-to-child-swap-rider-switch-at-disney-world/

30. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@charm55: We didn’t! Or rather I did, and then I dropped it, because it was for our extra unplanned day but looking at the options it seemed pretty unlikely that we’d be going back to AK, so I swapped it for some Epcot fast passes. I don’t think I’d like it anyway - I get nauseated at IMAX movies and I had to close my eyes during the Back to the Future simulator ride at Universal years ago.

@Hypatia: I’ve read that they’ve changed the system and no longer allow that - apparently when you try to do rider swap through the fast pass like they now check to see that both adults have a fast pass before they let you, but I’m not positive.

31. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@Hypatia: yes, this is accurate. I was just there and this was our experience.

32. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@charm55: Flight of Passage is my fave. It broke on us so we were stuck in the room for 15 mins or so and we got a free return pass. Our next trip, we rode it on two different days. That is a priority. If booking FP, go to your Flight of Passage days and book those first. That and 7 Dwarves. But there are height limits on both.

33. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@erinbaderin: I don't know if you got an answer but free dining plan dates dropped two days ago. Everyone is booking like crazy.

34. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@808love: About the crowd calendars spiking? I know about free dining but that wouldn’t affect my dates, I’m going the first week of March.

35. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

That’s right. I wonder what happened.

36. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

Can anyone tell me that it’s OK to go to Disney and not plan every single second???
    I have a friend who goes often (like every 8 weeks from the Northeast!) and she was talking about waiting for rope drop and RUNNING to rides - ummmm NOPE. I have no desire to do that. If we have fast passes for the most important rides, and are ok with going-with-the-flow, can we just have a chill time??? I mean as chill as Disney with 4 kids can be. I’ve made a couple of lunch reservations and might do a character breakfast. But I really don’t feel like going apeshit on this.

We have a Disney travel agent guy helping us, so we’re not totally flying blind. I’m sure he’ll tell us what is absolutely necessary. But I’m looking for reassurance from seasoned Disney moms that we can plan some tent-poles, but mostly be flexible.

37. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@SweetiePie: So I’m doing...I mean, kind of the opposite of that, but with the plan of doing that. I’ve spent the last two weeks refining and revising my Touring Plan, but I’m going with a 3 and 5 year old so I’m basically going in with a plan but knowing that the odds are good that it’s all going to go out the window.

I’m far from an expert, but I would recommend reviewing the attractions/entertainment so you know what your must-dos are, and then maybe just keeping an eye on the app and seeing what lines are short.

38. Hypatia

kiwi / 500 posts

@SweetiePie: When are your dates? I think it depends on how crowded it will be. I can look them up on Touring plans with my subscription. The less crowded it is, the more relaxed you can be.

39. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@SweetiePie: you can absolutely go with a relaxed frame of mind and have a blast. As long as you pick your 3 FPs per day ahead of time and any dining that are must-do’s, you’re in good shape. We don’t try and see everything in one trip because it’s impossible. I’ve been 20+ times and still haven’t seen everything there is to do there.

I do recommend going at rope drop if possible because the lines are the shortest they will be all day, but there’s definitely no need to run to the attractions.

I love planning so I do plan a lot beforehand, but with 2 young kids that plan often gets thrown out the window and we then follow a rough version of it.

40. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@SweetiePie: we were pretty relaxed. How many days are you doing?

We did one day. Booked fast passes and that was it. We used the app to see what ride around us had s low wait time, and did that. We did like 12 rides I think. And we left for a few hours because it poured. So we were there from like 9-2 and then 6-8? Something like that. Got there shortly after it opened. And we were there on a high crowd day but it didn’t seem that bad. We didn’t do the Peter Pan ride and the 7 dwarfs one because I was pregnant. So maybe we saved a lot of time but skipping those and using fast passes for other stuff.

We had a lunch booked and then realized right before that it was a character lunch and expensive. My kids aren’t into the characters at all. So we cancelled and grabbed something quick. It was a great day.

That’s kind of how we roll though. Like we didn’t even bring a bag or a million things. We threw some snacks, diapers, water, etc in the stroller basket and called it good. Kids talk about it daily and it’s been almost a year since we’ve been!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee