Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Disney World Planning Thread 2018

1. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

@Hypatia: we are going May 7-11th but only the 8-10 are park days.
    We’ll do 1.5 days MK, .5 day Hollywood and 1 day at universal.

We’ll def book fast passes and I already have a couple of lunch reservations. I’ll look at dinner today.
    But we are staying at a condo off-Resort so we have a full kitchen if dinner is a bust.

I guess we are doing Disney but we know it’s the first trip of many. We aren’t even taking the baby this time. We just have 3 days so we thought “why not go to Disney. See what we can and what we don’t, we’ll be back in the next year or two”. It’s not the trip of a lifetime and we, like @Mrs. Champagne:, are generally go with the flow. I like to plan but on vacation I don’t like to have every second planned. Even when it’s just us adults we only plan meals and mayyyyybe one excursion the whole trip. We mostly like to wander around and do whatever we feel like.
    Looking at the app and just doing whatever is nearby and has lowest wait times sounds perfect. And if we only do our 3 fast passes plus a couple more, then so be it. My son will just be floored to see the castle, the characters and Toy Story Land. That’s our main goal. Everything else is just gravy.

2. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@SweetiePie: that’s exactly how we did it. I was pregnant and our kids were 4 and almost 2. Once we could get more fast passes I would look and see what was available and grab one. I wasn’t particular about which rides really, just trying to minimize wait time.

The longest wait time we had was maybe 20-25 mins for the race track thing. My husband and son did it while I took dd to Starbucks because she was too short. The rest of the ride times were so short.

We didn’t do space or splash mountain because of height, though.

3. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@SweetiePie: It shouldn't be too crowded for your dates - we've gone twice around that time and it's not bad.

I plan everything to to death because I'm crazy and that's just my personality but as long as you book fast passes and dining reservations you'll be fine.

4. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@SweetiePie: If you have 3 fastpasses and are flexible and just use the app to go to whatever rides have the shortest lines, you will be FINE and have a blast.

1 tip: don't tell your kids about specific rides. We got lucky that we went at a low crowd time and basically rode everything we wanted, even without fastpasses. But I told my oldest about particular rides and she got really excited and set on THOSE RIDES, and I realized later that wasn't smart of me, in case we ran into the issue of a ride having a long line and us wanting to skip it.

Like I really, really talked up the Frozen ride, and my girls were 100% set on riding it, and duh--it's like one of the busiest rides. So that wasn't smart on my part. And I didn't get a fastpass at first, so we had to be there ate Rope Drop to ensure we could ride it without an hour+ wait. That worked--we barely waited at all, the girls loved it (it was probably their favorite ride of the entire trip), and later a miracle occured and a fastpass opened at like 7pm for it, so we got to go back. But all day long, the waits were over an hour so without that strategy, I would have had 2 girls begging for the Frozen ride and facing an hour long wait.

So don't do what I did. We last went when my kids were 2 and 4 and honestly, there wasn't a ride they didn't love--even the carousel--which is just a standard carousel like they have ridden dozens of times elsewhere--they were thrilled with, and wanted to go on multiple times. So if they don't know about certain rides, they won't know what they are missing out on.

My kids were thrilled with even the MEXICO ride in epcot, and literally begged to ride it again and again--they rode it 3 times because there was no wait at all and we could just get off and right back on. So kids are easily amused.

5. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

@Anagram: that’s a great tip about not mentioning specific rides!

Question for anyone - I know about the 3 advance fast passes and how you can book more once those are used. But is there still an option to pay for fast passes to guarantee them vs hoping you get lucky for free ones?
    I don’t mind paying for convenience and my sanity.

6. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@SweetiePie: The only way to get additional fast passes is to stay club level and pay an extra $50 per person per day (so super pricey after considering the upgraded room).

You can also do early magic mornings to get access to rides before park opening with only a few hundred other people in the park. We did the Toy Story Land EMM and were able to ride all the rides multiple times and meet Woody, Jessie, and Buzz. It was $59 or $69 per person (can't remember) and totally worth it to us. There's a Magic Kingdom version also but we've never done it.

7. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

@skinnycow: Ok, I think the magic hours are for those staying on resort though, right? We are staying at a condo (it’s me and my husband and son plus my sister and her husband and 3 kids...8 people total...and we’re only planning it now, so pretty last minute in terms of Disney planning...so it made the most sense).
    I cannot wait till the next time we go back with just our nuclear family and stay at a Disney resort. It’s all I’ve ever done, but I’ve only done it as an adult with no kids! I can’t wait to do it with kids one day.

8. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@SweetiePie: If your son is into characters, I think the best way to do that piece is character meals. We've gone a few times and while we did try the way where you line up and take your photo, that can be kind of startling for kids because of the size of the characters. The character meals are good because they come to your table and the kids get the opportunity to observe them from afar and by the time they come to your table, it's no big deal and they love it.

9. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@SweetiePie: It's different than the Extra Magic Hours - those are for people staying on-property but Early Magic Morning is available for purchase for everyone. It's confusing!

10. SweetiePie

honeydew / 7463 posts

@skinnycow: oh that’s great to know! Thank you!
    My sister and her kids are later to rise (which most days I’m jealous of, lol) but my 4yo is always up at 7am like clockwork. So maybe we’ll do the early magic morning while they’re getting ready for the day and we can squeeze a few more things in. We’ll have separate cars.

@looch: yes we are going to do at least one character meal I think. It’s hard to decide which one. Any recommendations? Since he was a baby he has LOVED Mickey and Minnie. Naturally he also loves everyone from MMC since he’s watched forever, but Mickey is his absolute fave.
    He also really loves the princesses! (Oddly he’s never seen any of the princess movies besides frozen, but he has a fascination with princesses). So maybe we’ll do one of those too. My 4yo niece will also be there so the two of them would have a blast.

11. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@SweetiePie: I really like the Animal Kingdom breakfast, it has the classic characters (Donald, mickey, mini, goofy, etc), but I don't think that park is on your list?

We also did the Minions breakfast when we were at Universal and that was a hit.

12. Hypatia

kiwi / 500 posts

@SweetiePie: I don’t think it’ll be bad at all! Crowd calendars are never 100% accurate, but they’re a good general indication.

13. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@SweetiePie: yes, early magic morning meals OR booking a breakfast inside the park before park opening. The Early magic morning meals kind of guarantee you uncrowded rides, and the booking a breakfast inside the park before park opening just gives you a jump start compared to people who are waiting for rope drop.

Either way, if you are going at an uncrowded time, it will be okay. We went on days that were 4-5 on a scale of 10 (10 is most crowded), and we didn't have a breakfast rez for Epcot but we were staying at Boardwalk so we just walked over right in time for Rope Drop, right at park opening. We didn't go super early or anything, but there were still no lines and we didn't run, just walked leisurely and took pictures, and went straight to Frozen and were riding it within about 15 min. There *were* some people semi-running, but that's a little crazy IMO. So they ran and then were like...4 people in front of us in line. I'd rather just walk normally.

14. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@SweetiePie: For Princesses, you can do breakfast before park opening at Akershus. That gets you into the park an hour early, and fed. And then you can leave and get directly in line for Frozen while other people are just getting through the opening gates.

For MK, you can do a similar trick and get a rez for Cinderella's Castle before park opening (like 8:00 am-8:15 am) and then you are in Fantasyland already when rides open. We did that for MK last time, and we rode Peter Pan, It's a Small World, Belle's house, and Ariel all before 9am. At 9 am, we had a fastpass for Mine train. So we really did a lot in 1 hour. Other in-park breakfast options are Be Our Guest, Crystal Palace (do they have characters? not sure), and I think they sell an Early Morning Magic breakfast package as well.

For Hollywood studios, I would just do the Early Morning Magic breafast/ride package.

15. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

@Anagram: FL lurker in this thread and Crystal Palace is amazing for breakfast before rope drop. They have Winnie the Pooh and friends so there are tons of characters. It’s close to the entrance and the food is delicious. also you wait with a great view of the castle.

@SweetiePie: We’ve also done Akershus and Cinderella’s castle and both are excellent experiences and awesome for princesses. They really take the time to sit with your kid at the table and chat and get a great photo. Food at both were also very good!

16. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

Guys, for somebody like me who loves planning, this trip to Disney is AMAZING. I have so many lists! Multiple spreadsheets! I have maps and touring plans and character visits! Whenever I need a five minute break from work I can read check a menu or tweak a touring plan! I'm in heaven.

17. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: LOL you sound just like me !! I love Disney vacations because all of the planning makes the trip feel longer

Did you customize your magic band colours? And you may already know this but if you are eating at BOG for lunch or breakfast you can pre order your meals 30 days before.

18. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@erinbaderin: Yes! I have just as much planning the trip as I do when I'm there. I'm always planning hypothetical Disney trips even when we don't have one booked (like now).

19. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@charm55: I have changed my magic band colours so many times it's ridiculous. I want pink! No red! No, maybe blue? Hmm, back to pink. Oooh, purple!

I did NOT know that! I swear to you, I just got a rush of adrenaline - my heart is racing. Time to start looking at menus!

20. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: I highly recommend the croque Madame if you’re doing breakfast... with a mimosa because vacation

21. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@charm55: Am I right in thinking that we can order three adult meals, because QS credits are all interchangeable? Since W isn’t on a meal plan they’ll be sharing and an adult meal will give them more to divide.

22. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: yep! We did that last year when Dd2 was 2.5 and not on the dining plan.

23. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@charm55: What’s the weather like in early March? Are we looking at jeans, T-shirt’s, and hoodies for the morning? Is it going to be shorts-warm?

24. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

@erinbaderin: we are going next week and it’s going to be in the 80s! Which is actually annoying because we have no summer clothes that fit haha. It seems like there’s a big range in these winter months.

25. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: it’s kind of unpredictable, but usually it’s between 22-25, really quite pleasant. Most mornings I’ll wear shorts and a t
    -shirt because it warms up quick. The evenings can sometimes be kind of cool so i do pack sweatshirts for all of us. I also pack a couple pairs of capris. I don’t pack jeans or heavy pants, but I do pack a pair of long leggings for my kids and yoga pants for myself. Even if we don’t end up using them in FL we’ll use them on the plane on the way back to the land of ice and snow 😫

I got an email this morning saying crowd levels have dropped first week of March. I don’t know how much stock I put into those anyway but I guess it’s better than what they were predicting before.

Are you guys getting struck by the polar vortex? It’s been frreeeezzinngg this week and I’m extra excited to get to the sun now !

26. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

Good to know! I was planning to pack mostly jeans, but looks like I should actually be paying more attention to whether the boys have any shorts that fit! I guess I'm going to have to find the bin of summer clothes and find my capri pants and sandals. Woohoo!

@charm55: We are indeed, it's -28 out with the windchill right now. Actually this morning I pulled up my weather app and was like "What the....it's 13 degrees?!?!" and then realized I'd set my weather to Orlando and instead, I had to deal with the reality of trying to find a flat spot in the giant snowbank all along my street to put my recycling bin for pickup. Canadian winters! Nothing like it!

I got the same crowd level email - after that brutal morning where everything jumped to 8s and 9s I've kind of talked myself out of believing in crowd levels, but it was nice to see them come down a bit. I've been spending a fair amount of time on the touring plans boards and it seems like for the most part, all the big crowds they predicted have not actually come to pass.

27. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@erinbaderin: we had a snow day earlier this week and hauled out all the kids summer stuff to see what fit. It was hilarious watching my girls run around the house in bathing suits and shorts in the middle of a 75cm of snow blizzard

If you need to buy anything Old Navy and Gap usually start stocking their summer gear early Feb.

28. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

Has anyone done the Memory Maker photo thing before? It’s so pricey but friends of mine did it and got so many awesome pics of their whole family.

29. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@HappyBaker: yes it’s awesome !! I love actually being in the pictures instead of always being behind the camera like usual. We always go with a lot of family members so we split the cost (if you are “friends” on my disney experience, one person can buy it then everyone can share.). I don’t know if I’d pay full price for it, but there are lots of Facebook Memory Share groups to connect people who are going at similar times so I would do that if I didn’t have a big family group going with us.

30. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@HappyBaker: We haven’t been yet, but I’ve already ordered it - I’d love to have pictures that have me in them! I’m just worried that my boys are going to refuse to do any and I’m going to come home with 300 pictures of my husband and I restraining two pouting boys in front of Cinderella’s castle. Maybe with Tinkerbelle in them.

31. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@HappyBaker: We did it and it was great! I loved not having to worry about taking pictures myself and asking strangers to take pictures of the three of us. They have photographers at most of the character meets too so it was nice to just watch my daughter's reaction and let someone else take care of taking photos. We ended up with several hundred pictures.

32. lindseykaye

pear / 1992 posts

Well - looks like I'm joining you all for official planning instead of lurking and daydreaming

We're headed back in mid-October 2019. A 2-night stay with a single day at Epcot. Timed to enjoy the Food and Wine festival of course.

DD1 will be a few weeks shy of turning 7, DD2 will be about 10 months old. We're staying at the All Star Music resort (our second time there). This will be DD1's 4th time at Disney with us since she was just turning 3.

I haven't gone with a baby so young so that will be very new to us! We wanted to prioritize going sooner than later because I feel like we're at the end of the magical time for DD1 to want to meet characters and princesses and be into Disney in a way that changes once they start to grow up (which I don't want to think about!).

We are FL residents so I will be looking for deals that come up between then and now. Since we're driving only a couple hours we always bring lots of food and can pack all the supplies we might want.

Our usual routine is to drive down to check in early and play at the pool before going to one of the nice resorts to explore, play, and have dinner. Then the next day hit the park/s, and stay overnight again to have a relaxed morning swimming some more or enjoying the resort before returning home.

Any tips for an almost 1-yr old at the park? What about sharing a single hotel room?

33. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@lindseykaye: so exciting! My sister took her 10 month old last year and it wasn’t nearly as difficult as we all thought it would be. She said a good carrier was key especially when waiting in lines. Take advantage of rider swap, too.

34. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@lindseykaye: What fun! We haven't done Disney with a baby but we did take W at about that age to St Lucia, and it was pretty easy, especially if they'll nap in a stroller. I think it will be easier because the baby isn't going to be disappointed to not be able to ride rides.

Tips for staying in one hotel room - try to find a way to hide the baby, at least if yours is anything like mine - in his own room West would stir but then go back to sleep. Sleeping right next to me he'd stir, see me, and WANT MOMMY NOW! We put the pack and play next to the window and pulled the curtains around it to make a kind of little room, and it helped. Although we also saw a lot of St Lucian sun rises as one of us pushed him around the empty lobby at 5am so he didn't wake everybody else up.

35. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@lindseykaye: Woohoo! We're about to book a trip for early November 2019 and we'll have a 5 month old at the time (as well as a 3 year old). I'm a little worried but I think babies are probably easier to handle than toddlers.

36. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

We're booking a trip in the next few days for the first week in November of this year. We've stayed at value resorts our last two trips but we're splurging on the Contemporary Resort this time. I'm excited to have easy access to MK with a toddler and infant!

Anyone stayed at the Contemporary before? From reviews I've read it seems to be a little divisive but I've always wanted to stay there!

37. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

@skinnycow: I’ve never stayed there but we’ve eaten at Chef Mickey’s a few times and it’s always so fun to watch the monorail go right through the hotel!

38. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

We just got back and had an AWESOME trip! My kids are 6, 4 and 10 months and they were great the whole time and loved it. Having a TouringPlan definitely helped us see more because it felt super crowded even though it was supposed to be mid level crowds. We didn’t get to do everything we wanted to but did most of it, and overall it went much better than I thought it would. It was also super hot, I can’t imagine going in the summer!

39. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@HappyBaker: Glad you had a good trip! How was Disney with a baby? We'll have a 5 month old for our next trip and we're a little nervous about it.

40. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@HappyBaker: Details please! What were your favorite rides! What were your favorite places to eat! What did you get FastPasses for!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee