Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Fall 2018 - Parents Chat

1. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@Alba4: that's terrible--I would have been panicked and livid, simultaneously. I work in a middle school, so the kids are much older and STILL, it is one of our afternoon duties that a teacher gets on every single bus and checks the bus tag. Each bus rider has a color coded tag that goes on their backpack, and the bus doesn't leave until we check that every student has a seatbelt and that every student has the write color tag.

2. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

@Anagram: It’s been 24 hours since I wrote the principal an email and I’ve yet to hear back...

I too work in a middle school and this has never happened. Teachers are not as involved as they are in your school with the busses. Maybe they should be...

3. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

We have Parent-Teacher Conferences this week! Anyone else been through this yet? Anyone have any good questions I should ask??

We got Progress Reports last week. Xander scored "Satisfactory" in everything (that's as good as it gets here). Besides that, I don't really have any idea how he's doing in school. He enjoys it, so I guess that's good.

I'm thinking of just asking the teacher how she thinks he's doing, if there's anything I should be aware of, and if there's anything we should work on at home. But other than that, I don't really know what I should ask/look for!

4. Mrs. Carrot

blogger / nectarine / 2043 posts

@Adira: Would love to hear about your experiences. I have no idea if we're even having these! The lack of communication from our school on anything academic has been really frustrating to someone like me who wants to know everything lol

5. Adira

@Mrs. Carrot: Same here! In daycare, I got to talk to the teachers everyday, so I got a good sense for how things were going and if there were any concerns, they told me immediately. But in Kindergarten, it's crickets! We had an Open House, so I had an opportunity to meet the teacher and she talked about what they are doing day-to-day and answered general questions, but nothing specific about MY kid. This Parent-Teacher Conference is only 15 minutes too!! Gahh!!!

6. JCCovi

kiwi / 705 posts

@Adira: We has ours earlier this month. I asked mostly about how she was doing socially. The teachers were prepared to talk me through all the academic stuff but I only got the info on the social dynamic because I asked. I met individually with her main teacher, English teacher, and math teacher. They didn’t grade her in anyway but they said she was doing well.

7. Adira

@JCCovi: Is there a reason you asked about the social dynamic? Just curious because it hadn't occurred to me to ask about that.

8. Mrs. Carrot

@Adira: Honestly the social part is what I care about the most too. I figure there's only so much that they're doing academically at this point, and I get a pretty decent sense of what she's picking up at home (ie, she's drawing much better than she was 2 months ago, and is definitely doing better with writing letters, and she talks about sight words all the time and tries to find them when we read), but I do want to know how she's getting along with other kids, if she made any friends, etc. We had a big shift with K because none of her pre-K friends went to our school so she started from scratch, and she's in a school with a lot of kids from a similar culture that she's not part of, so I worry that other kids may be clustering together and she isn't fitting in, though she's a pretty social kid. The social part is what she talks about the least as well so I'm really curious about it.

9. Adira

@Mrs. Carrot: Ahh, okay, that makes sense. Xander already talks about his new best friends, and I see how he interacts with one of them at pick-up, so I'm not really worried about the social aspect since he seems to have already made friends! I was definitely concerned originally because none of his pre-k friends were going to the same school as him, but he seems to have made friends just fine. I may still ask about it though - thanks!

10. hitchhiker

apricot / 399 posts

Since you know your kid is doing fine academically, I think you want to ask questions that get to any other issues in the classroom. My DH used the phrase "is there anything we should be concerned about" which I think gave the teacher an opening to tell us that our kid goes to the bathroom an unusual amount. This is a typical anxiety/transition behavior for her, but I was really happy to know about it and I'm not sure we would have gotten the info if he hadn't used that wording. This was only 2 weeks in, so I'm hoping the behavior has resolved itself since then - something I'll be following up on at our conference!

11. Adira

@hitchhiker: Thanks! I like the idea of an open-ended question so that if there's anything the teacher can think of, she'll tell me.

12. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

We haven’t had anything since the one in the first week of school, but I would mainly ask about social dynamics too. Partly because B is shy and I worry about him, and partly because I’m pretty confident that he’s at or ahead of where he needs to be learning-wise, because I feel our daycare really prepared him educationally (especially since, with his January birthday, he’s among the oldest). Also because he’d been having a letter ring sent home every Friday to work on over the weekend but this past weekend it came home with a note saying “he already knows all his letters so we’re switching to sight words.” On that note, anybody have any tips for helping with sight words?

13. Adira

@erinbaderin: My only suggestion with sight words (and we don't have a ton of experience yet either) is just practice when you can! I'll read some of those Level 1 books to my kids and when I come to a sight word that Xander's had already, I'll stop and point it out and let him tell me which word it is. He only has 5 sight words so far (I, a, it, can, are), so we're not stringing together any sentences, but I figure letting him practice identifying the words he's supposed to know regularly is good practice, right?

14. rattles

grapefruit / 4903 posts

@erinbaderin: we just practice in lots of casual ways. I make them with tub letters at bath time. I write them (or have her write them) with chalk on the driveway. Sometimes we’ll flip through flash cards during breakfast or snack time, but only if she wants to. And like @Adira, I have her read them when they come up in her easy readers or picture books.

@Adira: our conference is Monday. I feel like we get good general communication on what they’re working on, but I’d like to know about how she handles things in the classroom. She is a perfectionist and tends to get frustrated at home when things don’t come easily. I want to know how that and her attention/focus have improved (or not) since preschool. Mostly though, I just want to hear her teacher’s impression of her and hear how we can be partners in her progress. I don’t care too much about outcomes at this age. I just want her to love school and learning!

Has anyone been pursuing G/T for their kid? I have mixed feelings about it so young.

15. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Adira: @rattles: Thanks! I had never even heard of sight words, so anything is a start! We got I, a, see, and on, so I wrote them on squares of paper and then on some other squares drew some simple pictures (spider, Mom, Dad (both stick figures), ant) and let him make some simple sentences, but that was all I could think of.

16. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@Adira: I already had a parent teacher conference. We did not get a progress report in advance, and we mostly went over that. My son did not get satisfactory on everything, so the teach made some recommendations on things to work on. The teacher recommend some extra intervention (from the teacher) on recognizing and writing letters and numbers. He is especially weak on writing everything, recognizing lower case numbers, and recognizing numbers 11-20. She also said to work on practicing counting backwards from 20.

For us, most of the evaluations were made in the first few weeks, so he has already made a lot of progress. For example, he only identified 15/26 capital letters right, but when I tested them this weekend (in random order) he got 25/26.

We did discuss behavior, which is not perfect but within normal. We also discussed how he is doing socially, which is great. I am interested in how he is doing socially, but since he is doing fine but struggling academically we did not focus on this like I might have otherwise. He has been consistently talking about particular friends, so I am not that worried. We did ask if there was a way to contact the parents of the particular friends, but the teacher said no.

@erinbaderin: The teacher did recommend making flash cards for sight words. She did give us the list of the kindergarten and first grade sight words. I personally also practice sight words when I am reading to him, because that is not much extra work. I don't really stick to the list of sight words, I just ask about words I think he might know, and have him try to sound it out if he doesn't know it.

@rattles: I did not pursue G/T testing because my son is behind, but I would have if he were on track. Once you are in, you are in permanently, and I want him to get in at least by middle school. In kindergarten it is only 30 minutes per week. We got a separate e-mail about G/T testing about a week after the parent teacher conference.

Anyone else's kid struggling academically? At least he loves school, and does not realize that he is behind.

17. rattles

grapefruit / 4903 posts

@erinbaderin: our teacher also suggested making a memory matching game and using those Trader Joe’s alphabet cookies at snack time to spell them. I haven’t done those, but just for more ideas...

18. Adira

@mdf106: Thank you for such a detailed response! It sounds like the Parent-Teacher Conference went fairly well for you and you got a lot of info out of it. How long was your conversation, do you remember?

19. Mrs. Carrot

@rattles: Are they testing kids that early in your school? I went to a G&T meeting at ours and what they do is observe all the kids from K and up and look for kids who might be particularly stronger in certain subjects (ie, verbal processing, math, etc) and anyone who stands out in that way, they add extra instruction for them in that area to keep them challenged, but the testing for G&T doesn't start until 1st grade and it's behavioral, not academic, and coupled with observation, so they don't even qualify for a G&T program until 3rd grade.

20. hitchhiker

apricot / 399 posts

@Mrs. Carrot: I'm impressed that your district doesn't do G&T until 3rd grade. I've read that the evidence indicates that you can't assess G&T until that point and if you do it earlier you're just assessing for strong early childhood education rather than talent. So many schools do it in K, and it's not equitable. Unfortunately ours does it at K, but at least they test everyone. Parents don't opt in/out. I don't know if there are further assessments after K, but I certainly hope so!

21. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@Adira: I think 20 minutes. They also let us bring the other kids, who could either sit outside or in the classroom. We had them in the classroom, because my younger son is 2 and not to be trusted out of sight, but they did not pay any attention to us.

22. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@Mrs. Carrot: In our district you can request testing at least once a year, and you can enter the G&T program at any year.

23. Becky

persimmon / 1390 posts

I can’t wait for parent teacher conferences! Ours are in the first week of December. I think they do evaluations, so it will be interesting to hear about that. I’ll be asking mostly about social/emotional. Our daughter is the youngest in the class (will be 5 on Halloween)and there is a 22 month span. We know our teacher socially and she said you can tell she’s the youngest because she doesn’t have the stamina of the other kids, but that she keeps up academically. It made me really sad because if we had universal pre-K or could afford to send her to a different pre-K program or private K at the Waldorf school we would have done that, but we just couldn’t afford it.

24. rattles

grapefruit / 4903 posts

@Mrs. Carrot: yeah, the applications were due a few weeks ago. There’s a parental observation form, a teacher observation, a nonverbal ability test, an achievement test and an intelligence test. If you get weeded out along the way, you may not participate in all of those. If they qualify, they begin an hour a week pull out program in March and then would be pulled out a day a week next year and on.

@hitchhiker: that’s how I feel about the evidence too. Her teacher called and asked us to apply, and her teacher last year said the same. I don’t want to do her a disservice by opting out, but I wouldn’t have otherwise opted in either. She came home after the ability test saying, “oh I hope I passed my puzzle test!” I don’t like pressure at this age.

25. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: We had our PTC two or three weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised that the teacher sent a form home the Friday before asking what concerns we had and what we wanted to talk about so she could prepare resources or watch for specific behaviors. DH and I decided our biggest concern was DD’s demeanor. Is she happy? Does she like K? Our DD has always been a negative Nancy. She can complain about a day at Disneyland after having a blast. So naturally we only hear negative things about K. With daycare and preschool we got reassurance from the staff that she was happy all day. We don’t get the same at K and we were pretty stressed about it. We have also long been told she’s not a great listener so we wanted to gauge that. We have been getting bad reports at aftercare and she’s had been pretty awfully behaved at home and shutting down on homework. Fortunately when DH and I unloaded all these concerns the teacher told us she sees a happy girl that is excited to learn. It was all positive. The teacher walked us through any reading and math areas that she hadn’t mastered by the assessment date. Then we asked again about the listening issues. The teacher assured us DD wasn’t anywhere on her list of non-listeners. The conference lifted a lot of stress and uncertainty for us. Now we’re focusing on aftercare hurdles.

26. rattles

grapefruit / 4903 posts

@Corduroy: parts of this really resonate with me. It sounds like a great conference, and I love that they sent that home ahead of time!

27. JCCovi

kiwi / 705 posts

@Adira: My daughter is young for K (below the cutoff) so we’re monitoring her socially to see if we need to hold her back next year. Everything seems fine but it’s nice to get the teachers perspective.

Also, in general I think the social dynamic is important to keep an eye on. Your kid might tell you about the kids they play with but they probably won’t tell you about the kid who they are leaving out and they may/may not tell you who is leaving them out. The teachers can give a lot more insight into this sort of think if it’s happening. Lots of good parenting opportunities at this age!

28. JCCovi

kiwi / 705 posts

@rattles: Our private school doesn’t do G/T but the class sizes are super small so they just work with kids at their individual rates. It’s crazy to me that some schools are already testing and now I’m worried we might have missed that boat when we rejoin the public schools in a few years!

29. Grace

cantaloupe / 6730 posts

It’s interesting to hear about what kids seem to be learning in the US in kindergarten. I’m in Canada and my kid is in french immersion. My understanding is that they start teaching them reading in english in gr. 1 and reading in french in gr. 2. Kinder so far seems to be a lot of playing, fine motor skill dev’t, recognizing patterns, singing and stories. And learning whatever french vocab comes with it. It seems very different. And the only homework she’s had was to decorate a “turkey feather” for Thanksgiving.

30. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Grace: Do you mind if I ask where in Canada you are? I'm also Canadian, and in my town French immersion doesn't start until grade 1, which I find so frustrating! I agree that it's interesting to see the differences - the only "homework" we have is the letter/sight word ring, and that only comes home Friday night to review over the weekend, and as far as I know (from personal experience, which was 30 years ago!) the gifted program doesn't start until grade 3 and is entirely teacher/school driven, it's not something parents can "consider" or apply to.

31. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

Our PTC is tomorrow, so i'll update with K specifics then. But we have already had 2 years of public pre-k and we always had 2 PTC a year (fall and spring) and they have a checklist they go over. It's been 90% "academic" (as academic as a pre-k3 and pre-k 4 class can be), but they do cover some social-emotional things as well. Since they are pretty thorough with the academic stuff, I usually follow up with social questions--- how does M get along with other kids? Are there any kids in particular she does not get along with? Does she follow direction well? Are there any issues you've noticed that I should be aware of? Does she seem happy during the day? How is her gross motor skills compared to the other kids? How are her fine motor skills compared to her class?

Some of the academic stuff from the pre-k years were:
    -Letters, upper and lower (they reported how many they knew at the beginning of the year, vs the end).
    -writing their own name
    -cutting skills
    -recognizing numbers
    -counting, basic addition
    -coloring skills
    -drawing skills--they actually have a rubric where the teacher marks for each thing the student adds when drawing a picture of themselves--like the beginning body with a giant round head and legs coming out of it would be scored lower (not lower in a bad way, lower as in more beginner) than a head on a body with arms, legs, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, hair, etc.
    -Oral vocabulary

I honestly can't remember it all, so I will update after tomorrow if there are any big changes between how Pre-k conferences went and how K conference goes tomorrow.

My oldest has always been advanced academically despite being one of the younger kids (July birthday in a Sept cutoff district), so usually my questions are more related to emotional maturity and physical milestones--especially physical, since she's more average to slow-end-of-average in physical milestones.

They don't test for GT here until the end of 1st grade, and then they start a small pull out program in 2nd. I may ask if her teacher this year thinks M might be advanced, but I may also just wait until next year's teacher to ask.

****WARNING--LONG PART AHEAD*****

One question I have for this year, that I don't fully know how to word correctly/nicely, is if the teacher thinks M is getting enough academic attention. M is generally a very "easy" kid behaviorally, and for the 2nd year in a row, she has been in a class with a lot of challenging students, and I can only assume they do this purposely. 2 years in a row, she's been in a class with multiple teacher's aides who have 1-1 inclusion students. I know the teacher can't share info about other students with me, and I wouldn't ask anyway, but just from what M tells me, there are 2-3 kids with autism and 1 kiddo with DS (she doesn't know what autism is yet, and I don't even think she has noticed that one classmate has DS), but she just tells me stuff like "Johnny can't control himself. He's like Elsa, in Frozen, because he wants to control himself, but he can't, so he gets a special chair to sit in and he gets squishy tows and chewy toys." Or "Jillian gets tired a lot, so she gets to lay on the floor whenever she wants, or her helper teacher takes her somewhere fun when she is very tired and being loud, so we can concentrate on our learning". So in light of these comments, and because I know it's unusual for a class to have 1 teacher and 4 aides for 16 kids, I kind of want to ask if my kiddo is getting challenged academically.

She does bring home homework, and unfortunately it's the kind of homework I hate--it's an entire packet each week based on 1 letter of the alphabet. She's known all her letters since she was 3, she's been writing them all since 3.5, she can write short sentences on her own now and she can read beginner books now. So how do I word this, knowing that the teacher really has her hands full?

Should I just ask for more challenging work? Or just continue to do our own thing at her level at home? I can't see any evidence they do any math at school, and at home she's already doing double digit addition and subtraction. So yeah, how do I ask this without coming off like a "my child is so awesome" jerk?

32. Adira

@Anagram: Maybe you can word it like "I know that all the students are at different levels, but M seems to find the homework too easy. Is there any way for her to work at her own pace and get more challenging material?"

33. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@Adira: yeah, that's a good way to word it. The thing is, the homework is kind of time intensive, but it's all very repetitive and a lot of cutting/pasting/coloring. SO like....page 1 is writing upper case O and lower case o about 50 times, over and over on a lined page.
    -Page 2 is to think of a word that starts with O and draw and color a picture of that word (So like draw and color an Owl or an Orange). Then write the word.
    -Page 3 is various pictures with words at the bottom of the page. Color the pictures, then cut out the pictures and paste them in the little box with the corresponding O word.
    -Page 4. Trace and write the suggested O words 10x each. (The teacher has a new O word on every other line, so student traces and then writes easy O words like out, on, over)
    -Page 5. Color all the pictures and then match the O word to the right picture.

So the actual academic work is easy, and M can do it super fast. But the coloring and cutting and pasting....it ends up taking either over an hour if we do it all in 1 go (because she's type A with coloring and cutting) or at least 15 minutes a night, but at the end, what's she's learned is very low level---just how to recognize O words.

Does this seem like good homework for a K class? I honestly don't know if this is "good" homework or "time waster" homework.

34. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

I guess what I'm saying is--I've afraid to ask for "more challenging" homework, because I'm half afraid it's just going to be additional coloring and cutting and pasting. Which are good K skills, but I don't necessarily want more of it. hahaha

35. Adira

@Anagram: No, that homework is shit (sorry if I've offended anyone!!!!). Our kindergarten class doesn't even have homework. That sounds like busy-work and not valuable at all!

36. Adira

@Anagram: Can you ask if the homework is optional, haha?? I might be tempted to say "M is very type-A and ends up spending an extreme amount of time on the homework, but I don't think she's getting much value from it since she already knows this stuff."

37. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@Adira: okay, I agree. But I didn't know if I was being harsh, because my husband likes that she has this busy homework. He thinks it's going to teach M to expect homework every night and she'll "get used to it", and I think it's going to turn her off to school work.

38. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Anagram: I think it's insane to ask a child that young to do any homework in the evenings, never mind that much! I agree that I'd try to use something like @Adira said. Or I'd just stop doing it. If they're supposed to be doing all that in the evenings what are they actually doing at school? I wouldn't ask for more challenging homework, I'd just opt out of homework entirely. But that being said, I also disagree with your husband - I don't think any kid should expect homework every night, because I don't think there should BE homework every night for every kid.

39. Anagram

eggplant / 11716 posts

@erinbaderin: It's given on a Monday and not due till Friday. So we usually either sit down on Monday or Tuesday and do it all, or we break it into 2 nights. This week I wanted to try something different, so last night I had her complete all the written work that didn't require coloring or cutting--that was fast, about 15 min or less. SO now tonight and tomorrow, I'll break up the coloring/cutting part.

But yes, I agree that it's a lot of busy work for low return. I also wonder, for the kids who don't know these letters yet, if the coloring/cutting/pasting is really helping them learn the letters.

40. Mrs. Carrot

@erinbaderin: I totally agree. We haven't had any homework at all so far, and I was poised to decline doing some of it, because it's kindergarten and I really have major issues with homework at this age, so I've been really pleasantly surprised so far. Kiddo seems eager to learn, so we've been trying to follow whatever she's expressing interest in and giving her the opportunity to do it (right now, she's definitely trying to figure out how to read so we're doing a lot of sounding out of words) but not pushing it in any way. I want to preserve her ability to be a kid as long as possible, and definitely not doing busy work.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee