Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. honeybear

nectarine / 2085 posts

@looch: I'm pretty anti-external incentives, except for books, when it comes to reading (and, really, learning generally). But there are already quite a lot of incentive structures built into the school context, grades being the main one. So one more that only has carrots and not sticks seems kind of nice and not stressful. I wouldn't worry.

That said, I would opt out of any programs that solely count books. I'm not sure if that's how they tallied things at your school, but I remember programs like that from my school years. That's the least thoughtful way to measure reading in my opinion.

2. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@looch: I wouldn't discourage my child from participating in a school program like that. Our summer reading program offers incentives like a gold library card after a certain number of books and a free book at the end of the summer.

I personally don't incentivize reading at home because I don't need to. My kid would stay up all night every night reading if I let her.

3. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@honeybear: it was measured in time, 10 minute blocks.

@Pancakes: my son doesn't read unless it's the last resort, I have to pick content carefully so it enticed him.

4. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Pancakes: @looch: @honeybear: just curious, why do you think incentivizing reading is a bad idea? My son literally won't read unless I nag him to do it or if he has an incentive. If my son just picked up books and read for fun, I wouldn't feel the need to offer a reward system. We've always encouraged reading at home and still read aloud quite a bit because we have a younger LO. My son loves to listen in each time, but somehow hasn't connected the pleasure of being read to to the pleasure of reading on his own.

Also, in our situation, my son learned to read and write in French and German this year. This summer, he will be in German only childcare, so I'm fairly concerned about him forgetting his French academic skills.

5. honeybear

nectarine / 2085 posts

@lamariniere: So, I don't like external incentives because I think that reading good books is inherently rewarding and I don't want to create any other association about it in his mind. I know that sounds a little trite, but I don't see much good (and sometimes I see a lot of bad) coming out of external, material incentives in most situations.

The freebies I got at the end of every summer in elementary school didn't make me want to read more, they were a bonus to me. I wanted to read more because I found it to be fun. I think the programs get that part backwards. If you've decided that something is worth doing, then you'll do it, and the incentive is just a bonus. If you need convincing that it's worth doing, then that's where adults have more work to do. The problem is that incentive programs are, I admit, way easier to execute.

6. honeybear

nectarine / 2085 posts

@lamariniere: As to the summer slide, you have my sympathy. Taking months off never made sense to me and it makes even less sense now that I'm a teacher/parent, so we don't do it in our studies. Anyhow, you're a French speaker, right? Maybe make your read-alouds French books or get some audio books in French? Movies in French are also a good option (March of the Penguins was originally in French, IIRC). I made quite a lot of progress when I was learning my second language from watching TV. Although I think for a young child I'd probably stick to books and the occasional movie.

7. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

I wanted to add that another great way to inspire your child to read more is by building in a margin of time as you go about your errands to stop and read environmental print with your child. Real world application speaks volumes to action oriented kids. So read signs, labels, flyers together. Or at least the parts that are at their level. It could be reading the pool hours or a candy machine. At this age, it kind of clicks that text is all around them and then they will seek it out. So read LIFE as a daily activity is my suggestion.

8. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@honeybear: Thanks for the reminding me I have to work on facilitating LOs Spanish acquisition this summer for an upcoming fall trip.

9. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@honeybear: Thanks for your perspective, I had never thought about it in that way. I always loved to read as a kid too (and as an adult), so I didn't need incentives. I guess that's why I'm trying to instill leisure reading in my son. My thought is that if he is encouraged to do it, he will (hopefully) eventually take a liking to it. As for the other comment, yes, I am a French speaker, but I'm also pretty much the only person that my kids get English from, so I prefer to read in English to them (my DH reads to them in French). We have tons of books and audio books in both languages. I'm not really worried about losing language oral/listening skills, I'm more worried about the actual reading skills.

@808love: This would be an obvious thing to do if we lived in a country where I spoke the language, but since we live in a German-speaking country, it's hard for me. Sometimes my son spontaneously reads signs and whatnot while we are out, but I can't really help him or know if he read it correctly. I have a reasonable German vocabulary but basically no grammar, so it's hard for us to take that approach. I always ask him to try to read signs in English when we see them, but that's also difficult since he hasn't learned to read/write in English.

10. looch

@lamariniere: My son is motivated by certain rewards, when he doesn't see the value in them, he doesn't participate. So for example, the prizes for this reading program were a bookmark, a pencil, a book and a ticket to a baseball game...none of which were appealing to my son. To encourage him to participate, I told him that there might be an assembly where they recognize the readers and handed out the prizes...how would he feel if he were sitting there and he didn't get recognized? In the end, the rewards came home in his backpack and there was no assembly, so I don't think I did the right thing even there!

I have a hard time coming up with some reason as to why my son needs to read, he sees it as a task that he has to do while in school. He might read if he's really interested in the topic (I just bought him a leveled reader about Cars 3) and he read that because he wanted to see what new vehicles were in the movie so he knew which ones to buy at the store.

11. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@lamariniere: I didn't intend my comment directed toward your specifics. I just wanted to give a general suggestion for anyone wanting to avoid summer slide for reading, in addition to incentive based reading.
    Sometimes it is not a natural thing to do for parents to make use of teachable moments during the day so I wanted to highlight that strategy.
    @looch: That's my primary strategy-picking books at LOs interest, even if some are below her level. Then I mix in some of my picks to broaden her horizons. She gets/ has to read some of both.

12. Maysprout

grapefruit / 4800 posts

Learning to do even fun activities can be challenging so I've no problem with rewards. Our two older kids like going to the library to choose their own books. Plenty of times it's not a book DH or I find particularly interesting but they do and it motivates them.

13. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Maysprout: Agreed! Visiting library often so kids can pick books is huge!! It is the main thing that motivates LO. Also check out the Overdrive app for free online library books if you don't like germs or overdue fees.

14. looch

@Maysprout: I wish that visiting the library would motivate my son!

He's much more interested in the displays at Barnes and Noble, though. Compared to the library, they do a better job at displaying and grouping, but it's not sustainable for my wallet!

15. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

As the mom to a kid that doesn't like to read I say do what you can to get them to read - bribes? rewards? anything goes!

While my Kindergartener loves to read my 2nd grader has never liked it and I'm not sure he ever will. We have tried so many different books and its just not something he is interested in!

16. honeybear

nectarine / 2085 posts

@lamariniere: My feeling is that at this stage reading aloud to a child is still a critical factor in their developing ability to read. So if you're reading aloud in French regularly, you probably don't need to push too hard on getting him to read books in French as well. Sure, have him do it regularly for short periods of time, but I wouldn't stress about hitting specific reading levels or whatever.

@Maysprout: I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I don't put a trip to the library in the category of "rewards" when referring to incentives. I mean physical things (free stickers, t-shirts, food, etc.--basically anything that isn't related to books or reading) and non-physical things that people generally associate with the later acquisition of material things (i.e., grades and commendations).

17. looch

@honeybear: What do you think about using books as rewards? I have a small box where I keep small items for my son, like funky crayons, matchbox cars, stickers etc. I was thinking about including books...thoughts?

18. Maysprout

grapefruit / 4800 posts

@honeybear: I don't have a problem with either kind of reward. I agree that it's good to do things for their own sake. But everyone has things they struggle with and rewards can help overcome those obstacles. We potty trained at points using rewards. It was effective, positive and fairly easy to stop rewarding after habit established.

19. honeybear

nectarine / 2085 posts

@looch: I don't typically hold books out as rewards for my son per se (to be honest, I go right ahead and buy books that I want to have in the house...I'm very liberal in what I spend on good books), but I don't have a problem with that practice, especially if it's presented as: "And when you finish enjoying that book, I think you'll be interested in this one, too!" A new book is the prize everyone gets at the end of our library's summer program and we happily participate in that.

20. looch

@honeybear: Thanks again!

My son seems to prefer non-fiction, so I am trying to stock up on those types of books. I am finding it difficult to get him to read fiction (yes, he knows the difference) and I kind of figure for now at least, I am not going to fight it. I don't really read much fiction any more...I have three books going right now and they're all non-fiction.

21. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

LO is still in kindergarten and not on break yet so you will have to reach back into your memory to answer this if you are in the midst of summer. I was wondering if your child played with the same friends everyday. My LO plays with different kids each week (or maybe each month) and they have a small class. She exchanges letters and pics with the same few girls she calls BFFs though. They are not necessarily her ever changing recess bunch. Just wondering. I am surprised she doesn't stay with the same kids. Here it is at the end of the year with only about 9 girls in her class and she is saying, I just made friends with H and we played together. Did you find your child did this too? I have a personal story that might be influencing my concern in this area so just checking my 'normal behavior' radar.

On another note, I found a favorite summer workbook after looking through the selection at Costco. Brainquest. It has a map, stickers for each page completed, certificate, answer key to rip out, outside activities, and a card quiz game. Very motivating and appropriate. LO's academics are great so she is doing one grade level above for challenge and really enjoys it over the ipad. I would recommend any of the series though.

22. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@looch: I've read some articles that mentioned that generally speaking, boys prefer non-fiction over fiction. My husband is this way too. When he chooses books, it's always autobiographies, history, or non-fiction pieces like "The Power of Habit". So I'm also taking the approach that any reading is better than no reading as long as it engages my kids. My daughter loves fiction, but my son gravitates towards non-fiction, like NatGeo books.

@808love: could it just be a personality thing? My daughter is not like that. She made 2 really good friends in the beginning of the year, and has largely stuck to those two. But she has always been more introverted, so I have a feeling that as she grows she will be the type to surround herself with a handful of her closest friends.

For the summer, I've picked up a K-1 Summer Bridge workbook. But my daughter thinks it's too easy, so I am going to try the grade 1-2 one instead and save this one for my younger son. I really like the contents though!

23. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@808love: DD only had 4 other girls in her class and while she liked them all she really only talked about 1 of them and said they played at recess everyday

24. looch

@808love: Yes, my son plays with the same friends every day. There is no rhyme or reason as to who the "group" is, it's mostly boys, though.

I am going to get that Brainquest book, that looks right up my son's alley. I will probably get him the between K and 1 for now and see how he does with it. I want it to be independent work for him, that includes reading and understanding the instructions. That's always his source of frustration. Once he knows what to do, he can complete the work, but he doesn't take the time to read the instructions.

25. DisneyBee

apricot / 340 posts

We bought the same book as @Mrs. High Heels, but the grade 1-2 version. My DS will be in a summer camp, and during their "quiet time," the teachers will have the kids do some pages from this book.

Four of us moms are also hiring his kindergarten teacher to tutor once a week, so they don't forget their math and reading. We'll see how that goes.

26. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@808love: Thanks for the recommendation. My sister is home with my daughter and they want to try to get some work done.

27. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: I hope so! My personality is similar--for me: likely due to upbringing and moving around a lot. But I always liked the idea (in theory)of having just two or three best friends. I can name hers in a flash (primarily by how she talks about them and they always give her things) but she just seems to play with others most of the time at recess. @T.H.O.U.: Great! I really like the format and types of questions. Just noticed it looks like it was published two months ago so hot off the presses.

DH and I are definitely non-fiction readers but DD likes both.

28. looch

Last day of school, it's bittersweet, that's for sure!

We got the BrainQuest summer bridge book (between k&1) and as I suspected, the work is simple, but the actual act of getting him to do the work is still a struggle. He's very much interested in the map at the end, but he doesn't take the time to read and follow the instructions, so the goal at this point is to have him finish the book, even though some of the stuff is really too simple (like coloring in the letter) and then move him up to the First Grade book (not the summer bridge one). I think there are some concepts in the first grade book that they really haven't touched on in K, such as telling time beyond the hour/half hour and measurement.

I also am ordering math tiles, I saw this game Mobi (which is number and operations tiles in a whale pouch), but for half the price, the plain tiles accomplish the same thing. We have Appleletters and the concept is basically the same, word or math chains, in case anyone is looking for some hands on learning ideas.

29. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: Happy last day of school!

My DD LOVES doing the worksheets her teacher sent home for the summer - she did 3 pages the 1st day -haha

Do you have a link for the math tiles? While her reading and spelling are perfect she needs help with math concepts!

30. looch

31. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: Thanks!!

32. looch

@Mamaof2: Anytime!

I do a bin for my son during the summer, we take it out to the pool area and it has fun and learning items in it. I am heavy on the workbooks this year as I way overbought, so I am trying not too get many more, but I admit, I loved workbooks as a kid so that skews my choices.

Then I have the appleletters and the math tiles above, plus I will put in a few arts and craft kits (one of them is a kit to make erasers, another is string art) and he should be plenty busy out there.

33. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@looch: Great idea! I picked one up, thanks! While getting that, I also came across this math game that looks educational and fun - https://www.amazon.com/Melon-Rind-Clumsy-Thief-Adding/dp/B00EBCDXCA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1498076690&sr=8-5&keywords=math+games and decided to get it too.

34. looch

@Mrs. High Heels: Oh, I have seen that game in my browsing, please report back on it!

So, the summer slide...the school sent home a note yesterday about doing some things over the summer and recording them. I am going to let my son use his Brainquest count as reading, plus he really wants to do the library's reading challenge. It kind of seems like a lot, but he's done well academically this year and I don't want him to backslide. Thoughts?

35. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@looch: For summer slide, I'm trying not to stress too much. We continue to the organic learning we've always done (just daily living stuff). Our girl is a book lover so we still try to read 20 minutes every day. When she fusses about being bored she is always directed to her "table", which has coloring books, activity books (word search), math workbooks and science. There is also writing paper, colored paper, crayons, pencils, glue and scissors. Or she's directed to her bookshelf that easily has 200 books for her to choose from.

She learned to count change near the end of the school year and that's still fun, so she will ask for our change bowl occasionally too.

The organic stuff is what we probably do the most of. She's reviewing and learning without really recognizing it's happening. This is either in the car or at mealtime most often.

36. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: I ordered the game yesterday. We will either keep it or give as a gift. Good find!@MamaG: Love the car for awesome learning opportunities with a captured audience. @looch: maybe something to keep up writing too like writing cards or invites.

37. looch

@MamaG: Yep, we have all of that too, in multiple locations! He's also going to our nature center camp during the day, which is very physical and he'll be tired. I don't want to make him sit and do workbooks at night, for example. I don't have a lot of chances to do things organically because I am not home a lot during the week and on the weekends, we majorly chill!

38. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: thoughts on what? Doing work over the summer?

My kids do 1 page from the workbook each morning before camp - they are early risers (6am) so I leave it on the kitchen table and when its done they can watch TV or do computer before we leave for camp at 8:45am.

They have the option of doing it after camp but I tell them its better to just get it out of the way - it only takes a few minutes but I do think it helps them maintain what they learned

39. looch

@Mamaof2: yes, doing work versus not doing anything. I think the summer slide is a real thing, some kids will retain more than others, but to be honest, my mom never made me do any work during the summer and I excelled as a student. On the other hand, my son isn't a natural reader so I want him to incorporate more reading into his daily routines, but not with my imposed rules.

I am probably obsessing over nothing.

40. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@looch: Maybe you could take DS
    browsing the workbook aisle and see if he wants to do it. If it comes from him it will be more powerful. If he doesn't want to do then you have to figure out a really effective incentive or it will be a negative experience and might as well not do it at all unless you are really concerned and evidence for remediation.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee