Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mamaof2: Yes, I am with you and agree with the routine. I am on it. She does it everyday she leaves her class and comes up to my room. The day of her meltdown she just didn't want to do it so I had to stop. She even has friends (kids of other teachers on my grade level) to play with when she is done. That motivation to play wasn't cutting it. I think she was just being very stubborn. I'm glad I walked her out of the building, with no playtime and she did it before the next day. Can't have an incomplete!! But I had to let go just a little and trust.

2. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@808love: are you a teacher at her school?

3. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mamaof2: Yes, I am. Sorry, was just thinking about posting that since I think I haven't made that clear on this thread.

4. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@chopsuey: Yes, I'm taking two days off so we can all ease into the transition! The day of, and the day after. DH is going to call them a few days before and see if we can find out the assignments sooner. Glad M did so well on her first day!

5. Mrs. High Heels

@808love: Sounds like an interesting book, I might check it out too! yea, book club!

No homework for us in Kindergarten either.
    We enrolled N in afterschool care 3x a week, so Tue-Thu she will be in school until 3 pm. The other two days she'll just come straight home.

6. Mrs. High Heels

@808love: Just bought the book - it's arriving Sunday! Sounds like a really helpful resource for the elementary school years.

7. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: Oh good! It jumped off the library shelf at me. Just read a few solid pages the other day and looked up the Amazon reviews before I posted here. Someone start a book club for us!

8. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

Whats a good off to Kindergarten book = want to grab one for DD

9. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Mamaof2: We have read Mrs. Bindergarten gets ready for Kindergarten (it was one we grabbed at the library this summer) and LO was gifted the book at her birthday party this weekend as well from the school counselor.

Kindergarten Here I come is another one in our collection and I saw it on a display at Target last week.

Kissing Hand is another one that we like.

Berenstain Bears also has one that we like.

10. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

Meet the Teacher is tomorrow night for us, I'm so anxious to find out who our teacher will be. We have four options, two that I would absolutely be thrilled with, one that I'm neutral about (not heard anything about the teacher) and the fourth, I would just hope for the best as reviews have been poor.

11. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@MamaG: thanks!

12. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mamaof2: Just came here to write about Kissing Hand as well. In fact, I asked LO the day before if she would like to read it and she chose another book. The kindergarten teacher ended up reading it to them on the first day of school.

13. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@MamaG: good luck! DD will have the same K teacher that DS had and I loved her =)

@808love: thanks!

2 weeks till the 1st day!!!!

14. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

I just got a phone call from our new teacher. It's the one that I really didn't want. I'm not going to lie, I'm disappointed. I need to put on my happy face for tomorrow.

15. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@MamaG: awww, I know the feeling.

16. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@MamaG: awe. I hope it all works out in the end. Was there a reason you didn't want this teacher?

17. Mrs. High Heels

@MamaG: Oh no... I hope the teacher turns out to be an unexpected, pleasant surprise!

We had a teacher meet & greet yesterday. We still don't know what teacher will be assigned until the day before school starts, so N met all the teachers, got to see the Kinder classrooms and how they were set-up, and they did a little pre-assessment with her. She's getting more and more excited by the day about Kindergarten!

18. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@MamaG: I'm sorry about the disappointment; I totally get it. When we visited our school in the spring, we were told that the Kinder classes had 15-18 students. I was very happy about that. But I found out last week that enrollment is up this year and each class already has 24 students. It's such a big jump and I felt completely crushed. But I have to put on a happy face for DD. I hope that this teacher turns out to exceed your expectations.

19. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Pancakes: That sounds like my last year disappointment with the high class size. I had an opportunity to switch her to another location but didn't. Wish I did!
    @MamaG: Sorry to hear that! I feel your pain. That Parent's Backpack book has a lot of 'nice' constructive letters in case you have a conflict later. On the totally optimistic side, some kids/parents don't want a less preferred teacher but end up being pleasantly surprised because they came in with initial low expectations. Try to keep an open mind and remember LO doesn't have any prior experience to compare it to so they might still enjoy kindergarten a lot. Don't let her hear the negative or it could cloud her perception. Find a good outside place to vent. Like here!
    Just a two week update here. Sleep is on schedule. She has only been taking a ten minute catnap on the drive home. LO prefers home lunch after a few tries at school lunch. Boo-more work for us but overall that is probably all around a better way to go given the food served.
    Another preventable mistake was letting DH label the supplies. Well, LO and I ended up helping but now he thinks he is the King of SharpieLand. Last week, he wrote LO's name in huge Sharpie across the whole top of her cute Hello Kitty lunchbag! I told him to stop doing that but I caught him trying to go for it on the bento today! I was so irked. I guess it was my fault for inviting him to the Name Everything party.

20. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

We love the teacher we got but just got notice they will be hiring a new K teacher soon and splitting up the class

21. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I've received negative feedback from two parents that have older children at the school. I realize that not everyone is going to love every teacher. But these are two parents I enjoy and they were very vocal in their dislike and not wanting their next child (my girl's peers) to have this teacher.

I'm of the opinion that I can't pitch a fit and change it so we will roll with it and hope for a good experience. I really hope that I'm pleasantly surprised.

@808love: I really need to get that book. DH took it out of my Amazon cart the other day.

22. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: Yes, I read the chapter on teacher placement last night. The book is pretty spot on. I kind of think teachers must have helped with the book because it really has a lot of insider educator information. Maybe TMI but I hope others think it's useful.

LO brought home a library book yesterday called The Night Before Kindergarten. It was cute and rhymes like The NIght Before Christmas. I think that would be a good read for some kids!

23. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: I saw The Night Before Kindergarten on Amazon. Okay, off to order books from Amazon I have two now...

... It's been a long time since we bought books. We've been on a library kick this summer. I can't wait for Scholastic flyers

ETA: Nevermind, I just wrapped that book last night for LO's birthday today. Momma needs rest.

24. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: Awww! Your LO's birthday is today! Enjoy your precious time celebrating!

Also to add to the whole Scholastic flyer experience, there is really good stuff is on Scholastic.com online now. Check out the site when you get a chance. It has a lot of great resources for parents. Especially when you know her reading level.
    Ack- the site doesn't look as user friendly as last year. Must have been 'updated' and they buried the kid friendly stuff. Here's a shortcut to some stuff. http://www.scholastic.com/parents/play/games/

Here's another kindergarten guide.
    http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resources/collection/what-to-expect-grade/guide-to-kindergarten

25. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: I just connected to our new teacher. I got an email from Scholastic just a few minutes ago. We really grew our library last year using Scholastic through her Pre-K class. I've missed it this summer. So many amazing books for so little money.

26. looch

Regarding the Scholastic flyer, we got it last year and I have to say, I thought the book selections were pretty terrible. I was really excited about it when my son brought it home, and then I spent some time looking at it and passed.

So the question is, is the flyer standardized? Meaning, do all K classes get the same thing?

27. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@looch: Before there used to be one flyer passed out to a grade level but now there are all these different flyers, with different names. So depending on your teacher you could possibly get a different one than someone else. It's not for everyone and the participation* has gone down in recent years. But there are some great deals there if you hunt them down and they happen to align with your LO's interest .*Yes, it's like a fundraiser because the purchases/ points can go to a teacher's selection of buying extra books for the class.

28. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

Just wanted to share this with my Kinder peeps. This is why being a (Kinder) parent is like facing no other problem we have ever faced before.

29. looch

@808love: I will be on the lookout for it, maybe we can compare and I can figure something out to buy!

30. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@looch: I didn't buy from the flyer last year. I went to the website and purchased. I found there were 3-4 flyers pretty consistently that had books in the range my girl was. She wasn't reading yet. She's now reading and we are going to have to keep her challenged. She probably doesn't need more books because she can work through reading the books we have but we had been doing the reading.

31. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

We had meet the teacher last night. It was okay. I'm not the most social of people or aggressive socially. I need to work on it because I always end up frustrated by the parents that spend so much time monopolizing the teacher. LO saw some friends (that are in other classes). I tried to get her to make some new friends last night but she really wasn't interested. There are a few kids that she recognizes from daycare (class above her) or our neighborhood. I know she will settle in and it will be fine.

I've got supplies to buy this weekend. There were three things that apparently didn't come with the PTA supplies. I'm not sure I will go that path again. The supplies we did get for $35, didn't seem like a good deal. I'm happy to support PTA, but I wasn't expecting to be purchasing more things before the first day.

32. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

A great little post this morning. http://fortworth.citymomsblog.com/2016/08/22/childs-teacher-wants-know/

I'm about to tackle the first day. Time to wake the sleeping child. First Day of Kinder, I'm looking at you proudly.

33. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@MamaG: good luck - I hope her 1st day goes well

34. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: That was such a beautiful groundbreaking letter! Just wow! So true too! Hope your LO and you have a wonderful transition today. Kleenex is your friend!
    Thanks for your updates along the way.

LO's good friend in the other class plays with LO only at recess. It has been good because she is not as distracted while in class. I think it was a blessing in disguise for her to only have the teacher to look to starting out the year! First day, not much a reaction- more overwhelmed with processing new information and a neutral- I like kindergarten. After a few days she had a moony lovey look when she looked at her teacher. Then after two weeks, she declared I love MRs. O. Boy in her class who was crying all day everyday loves school now too.

35. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@MamaG: Good luck to your DD on her first day! I hope it goes well!

36. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

I'm proud to say I made it through with no tears. The post I shared made me teary and I had a few tears behind the camera, but no tears from either of us at drop off. I'm not strong, this just is sort of our second round of this rodeo. I was a ridiculous mess last year. She takes a minute to gain her confidence, but she was able to do so before I left. All well in advance of the bell ringing. I'm excited to see her tonight and hear her stories.

37. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@MamaG:

38. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@MamaG:

I have DD washing all her new lunch containers for me this afternoon! It was her idea...but I jumped all over that.

39. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: Awww so precious. I just love her adorable expression. She looks ready!

Speaking of bells...LO and her kinder friend were at my school a week before school began. The recess bell rang and the look on their faces was priceless. They were like, WHAT WAS THAT? They had no idea. So funny...the everyday things we take for granted that they will need to learn....

LO still can't get over the fact that kids 'do all the work' at our school. She and a classmate were assigned to walk another Speech class today. I'm not sure if she likes added responsibility but she better get used to it. Also in case you are in need: DH hacked a water bottle carrier by drilling a hole in the edge of the lid of her bottle, clipped on a lanyard and was good to go!

LO usually wakes up on her own but ever since the 3 day weekend, she was thrown off and I have to wake her. Today she fell asleep at 4pm and will probably sleep through the night. She does this once a month or every other month. I think I'll start putting her to bed 15 minutes earlier. Right now lights out is at 8:15 and she falls asleep fast.

40. Mrs. High Heels

@MamaG: Adorable!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee