Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@808love: do you think school is tiring her out? When DS started K he was exhausted at the end of the day!

Ah recess - I miss that!

2. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

N's first day was today! She cried a lot during dropoff, but she's always struggled with dropoff. Her teacher was so reassuring and kind - good first impression so far. She also has a small class size of 14 students, so I think the intimacy will be less overwhelming and help her adjust easier. Can't wait to hear all about her day.

3. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@Mrs. High Heels:

4. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: We had the navy version of that backpack last year. I love Lands End backpacks.

5. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: So cute-and away she goes!

6. chopsuey

hostess / wonderful honeydew / 32460 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: sweet girl! hope she had a great day!!! M has 14 in her class too!

7. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

Right now there are 22 in her class but they are hiring a new teacher to try to get class sizes below 18.

8. chopsuey

@T.H.O.U.: 22 with 1 teacher and an assistant? How is she loving school?!

9. T.H.O.U.

@chopsuey: haha. No assistant! Welcome to public school!

10. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@T.H.O.U.: we are a class of 24 and Lo says there is not an assistant. I thought there was supposed to be one though

11. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mamaof2: Yep she is tired from school. She didn't fight the early bedtime. YEsterday she woke up for a short dinner and a bath and then back to sleep so I guess that 15 hrs last night got her caught up.

12. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@808love: she slept for 15 hours?? Holy smokes!!

13. T.H.O.U.

@808love: wow! I keep waiting for my daughter to need to catch up and it's not happening. Maybe this weekend we will get a good 2 or 3 HR nap.

14. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

Yes, she can be a big sleeper once in awhile. Around 3:30pm-6:30am...but she did get up briefly. So closer to 14 hours.
    I remember the first time LO fell deeply asleep in the afternoon, I was so undecided if I should wake her or not. Now, I just let her sleep. If she stirs, I ask her if she wants a drink. My main goal is to have her go to the bathroom. She'll get up to eat and often a quick shower. Then back to sleep at the normal time. She had a great day yesterday after her long sleep. I was exhausted though. Long story short, the dog was freaking out about the thunderstorm most of the night. It was the first day E went to school with her hair not neatly pinned back and by the end of the day it was scary!! I should have taken a picture. I am still adjusting to working where she goes to school so it kind of unsettling to see her looking so unkempt! How were the first day of school stories? @Mrs. High Heels: @Mamaof2: @Chopsuey:@MamaG: @T.H.O.U.: and anyone I may have accidentally missed?

15. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

@808love: Wow 14 hours! Glad she had a great day! First day of school was good. Her first words when I went to pick her up were, "Mommy, I made some new friends today... but... I can't remember their names." - We picked her up around 2:30 pm, and she ended up taking a deep nap - she was drooling and it was hard to wake her up!... which was fine because we had something last night, and knew we wouldn't make it home in time for an earlier bedtime.

Now that we have the first day out of the way, and are starting to find our footing... I'm really looking forward to this school year. Excited for the things she'll learn, and I think it's good for her to be out of her comfort zone, and get to know new friends in a new place.

16. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@808love: our first day is next Wednesday - We had orientation this morning and it started with tears but ended with a BIG smile

17. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: We are on day 4 and finding a pretty good groove. No complaints about school. She's tired and fighting sleep. Last night she should have gone to bed early but she has a melt down about being sent to bed before 8:00. It wasn't worth the fight to me, so I sat with her and had a conversation about her day. Essentially I let her stall until 8:00, but no later. She struggles with waking every morning, but so far is keeping on task with getting moving once she gets out of her bed.

18. chopsuey

@808love: we have 2 weeks of kinder under our belts and so far so good! she's excited to go to school every day, sleep and energy levels haven't changed at all. She falls asleep and wakes up around the same time as during the summer (11-12 hrs a day). She has fine and wispy hair, so I found that the best way to keep her hair looking good all day is to use those tiny clear rubber bands to put her hair in pigtail braids.
    She has recess right before school gets out so she always comes to me drenched in sweat 😬👍

So far daily reports are "great," we have a play date with one of her classmates on Monday and she knows all of her friends' names now. Haha!
    @Mrs. High Heels: it took about a week for M to get all the names down! 😂

My kids had a good relationship before, but I've noticed that they're so much more loving and aren't fighting as much now that DD goes to school. They really miss each other. DS has cried a few times after morning carpool drop off bc he misses his sister. Warms my mama heart ❤

19. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@Mrs. High Heels: So cute- her new friends! She was super tired! Deep REM mode. @Mamaof2: Ooh pretty soon. Good to hear about the orientation!
    @MamaG: Sounds like a solid start! She'll probably catch up on sleep this weekend.
    @chopsuey: Aww.. your kids are so attached! My LO has the fine and wispies too. I tried a headband yesterday and that did NOT go so well. She looked like Richard Simmons at the end of the day. (An 80s exercise trainer) I do fancy braids with those little elastics most days but my hair experiments are not always so successful.

20. chopsuey

@808love: hahaha I know who Richard Simmons is! (Oldie here). I just do simple pigtail braids. Her hair parts to the left so one piggie is always fatter than the other. Haha!

21. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@chopsuey: Oh goodness! Apparently I left the headband in her backpack yesterday and she took it out and 'wore' it RS style again!!! Ahhhh! See what happens when I introduce new accessories without my supervision! All I can do is laugh and cringe to myself. I'm glad u know what I'm talking about.

LO definitely has her preferences. She wanted her polo shirt buttoned to the top but it was a hot day so I left the top one unbuttoned. Well, a I found out a boy had helped her button it. This is the same 'strong' boy who helped her with her 'stubborn' zipper on her backpack. Same sweet kid who cried the first two weeks of school. It is so interesting when your LO has their own social life and you get to hear glimpses into their world. Things are much more interesting in kinder.

22. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

HAIR! LO has hair to her bottom and I prefer it up or it's a messy tangled dirty mess by the time she gets home and she cries when I brush it. Today's request? Three pig tails. I did six small pig tails on the top of her head and then pulled it all back into a low pony. She was pleased. We've did a standard french braid the first three days.

23. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

Reading along, we haven't started school yet, but I've organized all the outfits and have prepped the drop off and pick up teams so we all know what we're doing on which days, lol. We also booked our vacation for February, so proud of my husband for agreeing to go on the days when my son is off. He doesn't think its a big deal to miss kindergarten, but he'd basically have been out for two weeks in Feb the way it was originally planned.

I also ordered a canvas of the first day print...i plan to paint over it and hand letter for each subsequent year. Plus my son can hang it in his bedroom.

24. DisneyBee

apricot / 340 posts

Kindergarten starts on Monday for our school district. I just went to take a look at the class list. Luckily, he's in the same class as another classmate from his pre-school. My disappointment is that there are 31 kids in his class. I hope he's able to pay attention and learn without so much distraction. I'm not sure how the teacher will handle everyone. I do like the teacher for his class though. I guess we'll see on Monday, and at Back to School night on Wednesday. Crossing fingers for a good year at a new school.

25. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@DisneyBee: wow 31 kids?? Will there be an assistant? Hope the 1st day goes great!

26. yin

honeydew / 7917 posts

LO started school last Thursday, and he is already excited for another week of Kindergarten! He has adjusted surprisingly well and has already made a friend (bus buddy and classmate)! It's a big classroom, and I was afraid that it would be overwhelming and a big adjustment (his preschool classroom had 9 kids last year). So far so good.

27. looch

@DisneyBee: 31 kids sounds like a lot, do they at least have an aide or two? My son will be in a class of 20 with a main teacher and an aide and I was worried about that, to be honest.

28. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@yin: yay that's awesome!!

29. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@looch: what's your school policy on missing school? Ours highly discourages it. I'm just glad that they've staggered the vacation schedule so that it isn't completely lined up with the local schedule.

@yin: cute pic! Glad it's going well!

My two are on staycation all week (their regular daycare is closed) so we are going to go school supply shopping tomorrow for the last few things on the list. I think we should be able to find everything in stores but it not, that will give me some time to place an Amazon order if necessary. (Hello procrastination!).

30. looch

@lamariniere: I actually don't know what the policy is, I do need to find out, as we do spend some time abroad every other year during December (just not this school year). We get a reimbursement from the state for the transportation, so it's tracked.

31. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@lamariniere: you didn't ask me but thought I would share - we are allowed 5 excused vacation days per year and they encourage you to take them - they do have the kids write in journals and present it to the class when they return.

They do ask that you not travel during PSSA's though.

32. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mamaof2: that's cool that it's encouraged. Our school functions kind of like a year round calendar. They go to school 6-7 weeks and then are off from 1-2 weeks, so they expect people to vacation then as there is ample opportunity!

33. looch

@Mamaof2: that is interesting that they encourage you to take them. I just looked up the district policy, and basically a child is considered a truant if they have more than 10 unexcused absences in one year. The policy doesn't state anything for excused absences though, so I will have to take that as it comes.

34. DisneyBee

apricot / 340 posts

@Looch, @Mamaof2: What a chaotic first day of kindergarten! I found out that it's one teacher with 2 aides. I was a little disappointed since the teacher didn't make any formal introduction, as the parents were just standing around. She did meet some parents, but didn't meet with everyone. Oh well! I'll find out how it went when I pick up my DS from school later today. I'm just happy that he got picked up by his daycare, and got there safely.

35. looch

@DisneyBee: that's good to read, about the aides.

36. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@DisneyBee: bummer you didn't get to meet her! We had a meet and greet last week - school starts tomorrow!!!!!

37. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

And she's off!!! She was sooooo excited

38. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

DD starts next Tuesday, but last night we had a park play, meet the teacher and class hour! It was great! I think my DD is finally excited for school whereas she has been so quiet about it and not really answering when people ask her "if she is ready for school".

Got to meet the teacher, and spent a lot of time with her, the ECE, a teacher from special ed (that was there with another child in class and will be her support, but because of lots of class presence she came, which was great!) and then a parent volunteer that does a half day, every day in the class!

27 kids. 24 were there, DD found her cubby, used the washroom and really got oriented with the room. They have a brand new outdoor playspace that no other school in the board has anything comparable too, so that was really great to see too.

*sigh* getting there! All parents got a baggie with a cotton ball (to remember the softness and kindness of our kids, to hold in our hand as we say goodbye, lol). A tissue for our tears, and then a tea bag for when we get home after dropping them to put our feet up and enjoy a cup of tea. DD's homework was to decorate an owl that will go "in the tree" on the classroom door for day one....cute!

39. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@Mamaof2: Adorable! Hope she has a great first day!

40. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mamaof2: cutie! I hope she has a great day!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee