Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

February 2018 moms!

1. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@dominobee: I'm so glad you feel better today. I agree that those two babies coming into this world are the most important thing!
    @MaryM: I feel you on being out of breath! I have to seriously pace myself walking up the stairs at work. My daughter made me carry her up a small hill this weekend and I literally had to stop and catch my breath halfway up.
    @bushelandapeck: @skiierchck99: I made a bunch of appointments today, up until February 1st when I'll start going weekly. Does make it feel like woah this is happening so soon! @periwinklebee: I'm sorry your mom is being so unreasonable. It really makes no sense that she wants to come at a time when she could end up missing the baby! I hope things smooth over soon.

2. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@MaryM: Hah, that's awesome!

@snarkybiochemist: So agreed! I hope life as a family of three is going well for you!!!

@petitenoisette: yeah, seriously, my mom doesn't always make sense. She's very emotional about things, and trying to just talk in terms of the basic facts never works (we drove each other crazy for this reason when I was growing up...) I'm sure she'll get over it eventually when she ultimately meets the baby...

3. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@periwinklebee: Won't it be great when our kiddos are one day talking about how crazy we are... LOL.

4. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@dominobee: Hah, I don't want to think about it

Though in all seriousness, I do wonder how to go about cultivating a relationship with a child that will eventually mature into a good relationship with your adult kids...

5. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

Had my glucose and other blood testing and results seem normal (if slightly low platelets but dr. is not worried) so - hurray! Bring on the candy and ice cream

6. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

So today, I booked our hospital tour and sent DH three options for birthing classes. Shit's getting real, isn't it?!

My doctor hasn't said anything about registering with the hospital, but my old doctors had me do it by 20 weeks, so I guess that'll be next.

Poll - Do your parents/inlaws have cribs at their houses?

MIL texted DH and I today to say that a coworker is moving cross country and not taking their twins' cribs. She said we could have one, and she could keep one for when the baby sleeps over.

She lives 30 minutes away. So it's not like we'll ever stay there as a family. Currently, we see her 3 or 4 times a year (she makes no effort to see us, we go to her on holidays).

Am I weird to wonder why she'd need a crib??? I mean, we're registering for a pack and play so if we DID have her babysit, it's not like the baby would have nowhere to go...

Then again, if we wanted her to babysit, I'm not sure why she wouldn't just do it at our house since it's only 30 minutes away and we would have everything the baby would need there...

I just found it odd that she'd want a crib!

(I told DH to say thanks, but no thanks. Or suggest they offer it to a women's shelter or someone in greater need than us. I want to be able to pick something like that out myself!)

7. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@MaryM: our grandparents live 30 min away but they always babysit at our house, it's childproofed and easier in general (food, toys, diapers, etc). We still haven't had him babysit overnight. If we would, we'd just bring a pack and play. They don't want a crib permanently at their place due to space, I'm sure. They had one though for their other grandkids at their other house.... though they used it for toy storage and never babysat overnight.

HOWEVER. In my experience, grandparents like to over-buy and/or prepare their homes in some way - cribs, toys, kids books, etc. Without being asked, my mom bought a stroller, PnP, PnP mattress, kids step stool, kids utensils, kids books, etc ..... and we live across the country and only visit 1x a year. The other grandparents (the ones here) have kids books and toys.

8. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@MaryM: my mom has a crib, pack and play, AND a toddler bed at her house. Lol. Granted, we do have two children and stay there in occasion (maybe 3x/year) but she wanted to do it so I didn’t say no. She’s about 2 hours away from us but we usually just make a day trip out of it unless it’s a holiday. She’s never watched the kids at her house overnight and only once at our house (with help from a friend of hers).

9. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@skiierchck99: That’s great! I’ve hardly heard of any women who passed the one hour test... I was starting to think it’s a racket!

Just drank my sugar drink. I really hope I pass!

10. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: My Mom still has a pack n play and crib from when my sisters were little, though I don’t think the crib meets modern safety standards so I’m not super comfortable w/ using it. But if we bring our own pack n play when we visit (currently a few times a year and probably more with kids) then both boys will have a place to sleep. I don’t think my mom will buy much extra stuff for her house but I haven’t asked.

11. LadyDi

persimmon / 1380 posts

@MaryM: All of the grandparents have a PnP at their house that they've gotten for free or for pretty cheap. They all live about 30 minutes from us and it's been nice for them to have their own for babysitting so we don't have to haul ours around all of the time or if we're just spending the whole day at someone's house and DS needs to take a nap (he's a picky napper and the PnP helps). I do agree with the earlier comment that some grandparents just like to be over-prepared!

12. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@DesertDreams88: My mom has a ton of stuff, but most of her grandkids live next door and they come over constantly. So having the stool and a ton of toys/books makes sense.

She got a crib when the first grandkids came, but my brother and sister lived states away and were in school, so they'd come visit for long stretches. It made sense when a kid was there for a full summer to have a crib (and they had large rooms that held them easily).

I'm not really sure where MIL would even put one... She and her husband sleep in separate rooms and his daughter still lives there... so it's not like they have an empty bedroom. I'm not going to worry about it though!

DH's sister sent out our first shower invite today. I'd given her the addresses and agreed on the date of the shower, but didn't realize the invite would go out already! I thought she'd wait for our registries to be done. I feel bad for the few people who were invited that we still haven't told. We've told people as we've seen them, and Christmas cards are announcements this year.

Also, evidently it's a coed shower. I'm sure DH is SO excited for that! (not)

13. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: We are doing a co-ed shower too. My DH is absolutely definitely excited. He loves to be celebrated, haha. We invited like 30 friends but it's open house style so hopefully it doesn't get too unwieldy!

14. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: I asked SIL how many people to invite, and she said maybe 40. Well, I sent her about 30 some emails for just women. So if it's truly co-ed, it's going to be huge!

But I'm not sure why I'm surprised with his family (we invited 500 people to our wedding...)

I don't even know who some of the people invited are.

15. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: LOL WHAAAT?! 500 people!! We invited 14 and 12 came, haha.

16. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: I come from an Irish Italian family and never thought I'd marry someone wanting a larger wedding than me (my list was maybe 125).

DH has never moved from this area and is still friends with everyone he's ever met. And their mother (literally).

300 came to our reception. We ended up getting married early and just had immediate family there. I had to have the reception in my mom's yard under a tent because there was no venue that could hold us

17. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: Wowee! That sounds like a lot of work. Our wedding was super low key mostly because I did not want to deal with the planning. We were in our pajamas watching fancy hotel cable by 9:30pm... haha.

18. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

Woohoo! I passed the 1 hour glucose test! 🙏

19. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: woohoo!

My ass hurts from so much walking today, but I'm done registering, and almost done Christmas shopping. Just need one more thing for DH (that I'll probably get online) and cash for nieces and nephews

20. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: Wow great work! I’ve done pretty much zero Xmas shopping.

21. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@dominobee: we had a co-ed shower for my first and I think DH had a good time! Much more of a house party style though, rather than a typica baby shower.

@MaryM: good for you with the shopping! I’ve literally purchased one thing for DH and that’s it. Once we get back from vacation Friday I’m going to start getting serious. Lol

22. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

OMG

I always wondered if the glucose stuff was as bad as people say...

As someone who waters down juice because it's too sweet...Holy Hell that's gross!

23. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@MaryM: I actually didn't even mind it. Mine was lime flavored. It was like a really sweet limeade. But I have a terrible sweet tooth. However I did find it hard to drink in the 5 minute time window.

24. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

@dominobee: I had to chug at the end and got it in in 6 minutes. I figure that's close enough.

They let me choose between orange or fruit punch. I'm not a fan of either...

25. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MaryM: yuck, it’s so gross!! Haha.

@dominobee: yeah, I thought I was pacing myself well. And then the guy announced I had one minute and I looked down and still had 3/4 of the bottle left! Yuck. No fun chugging that stuff.

26. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@MaryM: @dominobee: I had my blood glucose test today and that stuff was nasty. Mine was orange flavored, ick!

27. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

Have I mentioned how much I love my OB?

I told him how I was really anxious yesterday, and he got me right in for an ultrasound.

Baby's face was buried in the placenta. It was SO HARD not to laugh when DH got really worried and said "Is that ok?? Can he breathe??"

He's measuring 49th percentile

28. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

So my most recent round of blood work all came back good. Liver enzymes have returned to normal, so no cholestasis of pregnancy ( thank god). No anemia, and no gestational diabetes either. I've been having trouble with peeing the last couple of days (like it feels like when I'm done peeing I still have to pee, it's awful) so I got a urine culture to make sure I don't have a UTI.

29. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@MaryM: aww! Our little guy was snuggling the placenta the whole time at our anatomy scan, too. Face buried in, and cuddling. Haha. It was cute, but made it hard to get some of the measurements That’s great your OB got you in so quickly!

@Tionn3: so glad that everything is looking good, and you don’t have cholestasis!! what a relief. I hope you don’t have a UTI, but I think it is somewhat common to have that feeling, since baby is heavier and can be sitting low on your bladder.

30. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@theotherstark: I'm going out of town next week so I thought better safe than sorry, plus this is my first time being pregnant and I've also never had a UTI before so I can't tell the difference. I just know over the last two days it has gotten intense, like before I had to pee a lot but at least when I was done I felt done, now when I'm done I feel like I still have to go or like I couldn't get it all out.

31. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@Tionn3: That sounds like a UTI. Easy to clear up w/ antibiotics. Glad everything else came back ok!

32. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@Tionn3: oh, definitely good you’re getting it tested, and it does sound like a UTI. Ha. My kiddos sit super low in my pelvis and constantly kick my bladder, so I know that feeling, but I had my first UTI earlier this year and it was no fun.

33. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@theotherstark: Ack, my urinalysis came back negative. The culture won't be back for a couple of days. =/ They told me to keep an eye on it, but I guess it is possible the baby is just sitting on my bladder now.

34. dominobee

pear / 1553 posts

@Tionn3: oh that’s weird! Well hopefully Baby moves around!!

35. skiierchck99

kiwi / 518 posts

@Tionn3: I've been having more baby related bladder issues too...I'll stand up and suddenly need to go urgently. I stood up to leave work last Thursday and was suddenly totally alarmed/convinced I wouldn't make it to the other side of my building to use the bathroom....thank god I did! Hope it clears up for you.

36. MaryM

pomelo / 5129 posts

Passed my glucose test. Woo! Bring on the pie!

37. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@MaryM: Yay!!! Just in time for the holidays!

@Tionn3: Sometimes my kid will shift into a position where he's really crushing my bladder, and I'll feel like I have to pee but nothing happens

I'm already starting to get the "any day" comments - hah, I hope not! Despite the apparent enormity, still awhile to go...

38. Tionn3

kiwi / 680 posts

@periwinklebee: I think that might be what is happening. Today I actually feel a lot better. Yesterday I actually discovered that if I change my position when I pee, more comes out, and I do end up feeling relief, so maybe this baby is just getting bigger and starting to sit on my bladder.

39. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@Tionn3: I'm glad you're feeling better! I have to kind of shift around and find the right position when I pee as well. We're getting close, though - in the future I won't take for granted being able to pee without having to first evict a baby from his cushy position on my bladder

40. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Glucose test today and I had my standard Cheerios for breakfast (5am), a couple of spoonfuls of natural peanut butter for midday snack (10:30am), and now I'm skipping lunch because there is no such thing in my life as "no carbs". uggghhhh so hungry. Drink is at 3, test is at 4. I need to pick up some food so I can have it ready to eat at 4 Then I have my 26 wk appt after.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee