Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2018 moms!

1. gingerblonde

cherry / 184 posts

Hey hey, everyone! How's October going? Third trimester time at last! Is anyone getting uncomfortable yet?

Who lives in a colder winter climate? What kinds of newborn/infant gear should I buy to keep baby warm? I started going through the clothes we held onto from LO1 and she was a summer babe, so basically nothing is going to work. I am starting from scratch!

2. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@gingerblonde: I know your comment was from awhile ago, but just now seeing it... We live in a colder area, for the first couple of months I'm planning to dress the baby mostly in sleepers, potentially with onesies layered underneath, and hope that will keep him warm enough... I don't think we'll go out a ton, especially not if it's crazy cold, but when we do I'm hoping it will work to babywear and combine that with a fleece coat, hat, and some blankets as needed...

So far third tri has not been that uncomfortable, but I'm sure that could change at any moment

On a different note, anyone else in open enrollment for benefits now? I just got off the phone with the benefits office and was told if baby is born in 2018, at that time I can change my 2018 benefits to add a dependent to insurance and set up a dependent care FSA for 2018. However, if he's born in 2017, the change will only apply to my 2017 benefits and I won't be able to i.e. set up a dependent care FSA for 2018 or change from an individual to family plan in 2018 since open enrollment will be over and the life qualifying event will be during 2017 and not 2018 and hence the change will only apply to 2017. So I have to elect those benefits now in anticipation of a potential arrival in 2017. Glad I called and asked, because it seems really unintuitive that it would work like this...

3. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@gingerblonde: so late but I am 35+ weeks now and oooover this! Not sure about the cold weather stuff, it only gets in the 40s in the mornings generally here, then most of the day in the 50-60s when it's "cold"? šŸ˜¬

@periwinklebee: that is a really strange set up. We don't have an FSA for any of us, I just know we have to add the baby within thirty days and our open enrollment otherwise is May. I am really hoping baby will be here before January so we don't have to pay the deductible again though!

Hope no news is good news in this group!

4. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@2littlepumpkins: so close!!!!! Hope your baby comes in time for the insurance deductible and 2017 tax deduction. I'm about 2 weeks behind you - sleep hasn't been great and I now definitely appreciate what people mean by the term "lightening crotch", but the discomfort isn't too bad yet. Definitely still much better than first tri with all the puking, and thankfully no serious complications!

5. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@periwinklebee: I hear ya.. sleep has been pretty bad awhile here...I know newborn sleep sucks but I also am so uncomfortable in the daytime that I just want to get through the next month quickly! Then at the same time I'm so worried about my son being in for such a shock because he's about 26m and still doesn't understand really. I'm also hoping my anxiety calms down pp (and doesn't get worse!)

I was measuring small so I've had a couple growth scans and baby has dropped from 49% to 28% so I go back in two weeks. She's still in normal limits but it's hard not to compare to my other two who were bigger and are currently both 77% height and 73/40something?% weight. I'm not FREAKING OUT at this point but like I said I'm a bit anxious right now!

6. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@2littlepumpkins: I'm sorry about the anxiety, I've also had some of this - though really without much of a reason - and am hoping it doesn't get worse postpartum. My husband is starting a new job a week before my EDD, and we're using some of his raise to hire a postpartum doula who will come around a few times a week at first to help out. She's a retired midwife who is supposed to be an expert on PPD, and I'm hoping in general having someone experienced I can ask all my questions to and get advice from will help.

My only complication has been low platelets, won't know until 36 weeks whether it requires explicit treatment or if it just means I may not be able to have an epidural. We haven't actually seen the baby since our anatomy scan at 18 weeks, so hopefully everything is ok in there.

I'm sure you're son will love being a big brother, even if the initial adjustment is a bit bumpy, and soon he won't know that things were ever different. I've always thought it would be amazing - if a lot of work - to have kids close in age...

7. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@periwinklebee: a PP doula sounds great especially for the first baby.. I did have anxiety and depression pp with my first and it was so tough. Dh was relatively new to his job (he was almost 1.5 years in but those first couple years are intense) and though he took a few weeks off it was tough once he went back and dd became really fussy.

I hope your platelets are higher next time! I don't know if you are planning for an epidural but I think it's nice to have the option.

As for my son.. I know he will be ok, but he's just my baby right now!

8. mrs.kiwi

kiwi / 635 posts

Sorry yaā€™ll I havenā€™t been posting on here at all! ITs january... anyone had their babies yet!?!? Howā€™s everyone doing?

9. mrs.kiwi

kiwi / 635 posts

As for me.. I am due on Sunday and have had lots of contractions the past 1.5 weeks! Hasnā€™t led to real real labor though. My first came 5 days early, my second came right on time.. and I assumed my third would be a little early but now Iā€™m two days away from his due date. Iā€™ve always had my babies Saturday early morning though so Iā€™m expecting him tonight hehe..

10. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@mrs.kiwi: Good luck, soooo close, hope you are holding your baby soon!!!

I'm due in 1.5 weeks. I've been having sporadic menstrual-like cramping. Today it's been more frequent and uncomfortable, but I have no idea if it means anything. As much as I'm anxious to meet my LO, I wouldn't mind if he stays put for a bit longer as there's some stuff next week that would be really useful to finish up work-wise before maternity leave, but I'm trying not to stress about it either way...

11. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@mrs.kiwi: any luck?? Hope your baby makes an appearance soon!!

As for me my lo was due the last day of Dec but came at 39 weeks! I had contractions and a very very low baby for weeks and was scheduled for an induction the following evening, but that morning the contractions from the night before were still there and picked up.. from when I woke up noticing them at about 7/8 (laying around with the kids) til birth was about 8.5 hours and only 3 of them in the hospital.. we were actually expecting in laws and hoping they'd fizzle out one more day, hah! I got an epidural 30 mins before birth but it failed and I ended up with the nurses declaring it was too late and "you can do this!" To which insisted I couldn't, but one quick push and her head was out! Full head of hair (a first here!) and looks a lot like big sister. The doctor who came to do her APGAR scores and check her out was dressed as Santa and we did get a private room and as far as having to stay in the hospital goes it was not bad!

We're still all adjusting and recovery has been a little harder than I thought (I hoped bc it was my third..) My son was freaked out when we brought her home but I'm happy to report the second week went much better than the first for my middle! We are having a bit of trouble with slowish weight gain. Pt pumping and pt formula and thank goodness bc with how sleepy she has been they even had us move up to the regular level 1 nipples do she wouldn't have to work too hard. We go back to the ped on Tuesday so wish us luck. We are still having to wake her but I swear today her eyes finally look pretty white. Her bili level a couple days ago was going down but still 9.5. We did newborn pics yesterday so I'm excited to see them soon!

Anyway sorry for the rambling, it's the best I can do at the moment. Hope everyone else is doing well at the end!!

12. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@2littlepumpkins: Congrats!!! So happy to hear that she's here safe and sound and that the older LOs are adjusting! I hope the weight gain issues resolve soon.

13. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@periwinklebee: Thank you!! Her weight check went well and jaundice is on its way down, so we're happy! Trying to stick to my pumping schedule and maybe increase a bit bu we'll see... it's going to be tough to keep to that schedule when I'm alone with all three. Recovery still seems slow but happening. So overall we are very lucky!

14. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@2littlepumpkins: So glad weight gain and jaundice are improving! Being alone with three sounds crazy I hope the recovery starts speeding up soon....

15. mrs.kiwi

kiwi / 635 posts

@periwinklebee: hope the timing of birth goes well for you! Guessing you were able to finish your work?

@2littlepumpkins: congratulations!!!! From a fellow third baby mom hehe.

Our little man was born one day before his due date! My son and my daughter were born within minutes of arriving at the hospital (i was ready to push before arriving both times) so with number 3 we were prepared to go to the hospital as early as possible to avoid a car or side of the street baby.

I had been having contractions the whole week- a little stronger than BH but still not progressing.. so we were on edge the whole week knowing when it happened it would happen fast. Thursday and Friday contractions were very irregular but when they came they felt stronger and more like the ā€œreal thingā€.. but they would always fizzle out. Finally Friday night they seemed a little more consistent so I started timing them. On average they were only 8-9 minutes apart. I rested a little longer and they didnā€™t really get closer together but we decided to go to the hospital since they were semi consistent and felt like the real deal.

I sheepishly told the ER people and the nurses we encountered that contractions are only on average 8 min apart BUT I warned them my previous two came fast and we would rather be safe than have the baby somewhere other than the hospital. The nurses seemed doubtful and warned us we might get sent home but we were taken to triage. Itā€™s my third baby but I had never been to triage so getting hooked up and monitored was a first! Guys does it usually take forever for someone to get in there and check you? It felt like forever to me. Even during the triage time I could tell I was progressing and contractions were getting more intense. When the midwife finally came in to check me I was 8cm. I think they were surprised bc I was still very calm.

They gave us a labor room and were getting the room set up/asking questions. I was probably in there for only 10 minutes or so when I started feeling like I had to use the bathroom.. I sat on the toilet for a minute and decided no I didnā€™t and knew the baby was coming.. and sure enough as soon as I got up I got that irresistible urge to push- my bag of waters was falling out of me. I guess Iā€™m very calm and composed during labor EXCEPT when I have to push. I think I was yelling ā€œI have to push!!ā€ They wanted me to get into the ā€œright positionā€ (on my side) but I was on my hands and knees. It was so hard not to push but I think I ended up pushing while turning to my side. Water broke as baby came out and thatā€™s that! I had a tiny tear that the midwife stitched up for cosmetic reasons- she said she could have left it too.

Itā€™s been a week and one day since he was born. He seemed like my fussiest baby the first few nights but he has calmed down a lot. I am currently begging my husband to take as much time off as possible bc the thought of handling 3 by myself is overwhelming haha.

16. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@mrs.kiwi: Thank you and congrats to you as well! That's a pretty crazy birth story! Dh has a couple more weeks left but I feel the same (and felt even moreso at one week pp.) If I just *physically* was at 100 percent I'd be a lot more confident. I'm also just terrified of the current flu season and even though logically I really don't think breast milk would prevent the flu, I feel bad about not giving enough breast milk. Lo still is a very sleepy eater even with bottles and regular level 1 nipples (my older kids needed preemie nipples at this age..)

Also, funny thing is I still wasn't sure I was going to be staying at the hospital when I went in. I was half waiting for them to say nope, you're not dilated at all . But sure enough we had our holiday baby.

17. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@mrs.kiwi: Congrats! That's pretty crazy - so glad you went in right away and they didn't leave you stuck in triage for any longer! Good to hear the fussiness has declined, and I hope your husband is able to take as much leave as possible.

@2littlepumpkins: winter babies are definitely not great from an illness perspective, though I'm hoping by the time I have to put my LO in daycare flu season will be over and I won't have to worry about him being exposed to winter daycare germs until he's nearly a year. I think I'd be super nervous if I had other LOs exposed to lots of germs at school who could pass everything on...

It's my due date today and I'm still here pregnant. Still working, as I'd rather use the time off post baby's arrival. Discomfort has not been so bad but has definitely increased a lot in the past week. Mostly in the middle of the night when this kid decides he is determined to stretch out and change positions and just doesn't have the room to do it. Ouch, ouch, ouch. But thankfully no major complaints. My practice induces around 41 weeks, so at most a week to go!

18. Mrs. K

apricot / 308 posts

@periwinklebee: just stopped by to see if you had baby yet! So happy and excited for you! Wishing you a quick and easy delivery and healthy baby boy!!

19. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@Mrs. K: Thank you!!! I hope that things are going well for you and your precious LO!!!!

20. Mrs. K

apricot / 308 posts

@periwinklebee: thank you! yours will be here before you know it enjoy the entire experience, itā€™s one you will never forget

21. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@periwinklebee: thinking of you!! And yes it is the older kids getting the baby sick that worries me. And the fact that my five year old doesn't want to be separated so she lies when she gets a sick until it becomes obvious... but by then she's been contagious awhile. Anyway she's getting about half/half at this point since I've added more pumping but it is a big time commitment when already bottle feeding. (Get up, warm bottle, feed, change, burp, swaddle, put lo doen, pump, store...) lol won't latch for long and with her slow weight gain it just is what it is though! At some point we will just EFF and it'll be less stressful than pumping. oh and I finally got a pumping bra after three weeks of pumping so yay for that!
    Anyway hope your baby is on his way! Good to think it'll be within the week though if he isn't yet.

22. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@2littlepumpkins: Ugh, yeah, that sounds intense, even if you didn't have the other two littles to take care of. But definitely worth it with how bad flu season apparently is.

Still just hanging here, I figure what's another week at this point, if that's what it ends up being

23. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

I'm still hanging out here, a week overdue. Last Friday, I was 3 cm, fully effaced, baby according to both the ob and us tech is super low, I've lost my plug, yet baby is still cozy in there... Honestly it feels like a bowling ball is about to fall out from between my legs. I have tons of contractions, especially in the evenings, but they don't really intensify. Induction scheduled for Friday.

How are the babies and older LOs doing?

24. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@periwinklebee: hang in there!! With your dilation and effacement, I am really hoping that you have a nice, quick delivery! Come on, baby!!

25. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@theotherstark: thank you I feel like I've done a pretty decent job of staying positive and not getting too stressed, but now that my induction date is really close I'm getting a little more discouraged, and the painful contractions that don't seem to go anywhere aren't helping... hopefully though even if nothing happens before Friday, whatever progress I've made will make an induction go more smoothly and reduce the risk of c-section, which I'm really hoping to avoid since I may need to be put under due to low platelets and have been told pain meds would be limited...

You are getting so close to holding your LO too!!! I hope the final weeks haven't been too miserable.

26. snarkybiochemist

nectarine / 2180 posts

@periwinklebee: good luck in the coming days you will be holding your little guy soon. I hope the induction goes smoothly

27. theotherstark

pomegranate / 3045 posts

@periwinklebee: I was induced and had a very positive (and quick!) induction experience with my first! If it comes to that for you, just know that it is possible Hopefully all of the contractions are getting things nice and ready

28. mrs.kiwi

kiwi / 635 posts

@periwinklebee: eep, I hope everything goes smoothly!! Yes def those contractions will help- maybe itā€™ll be before friday

29. mrs.kiwi

kiwi / 635 posts

@2littlepumpkins: you have such a great attitude. Youā€™re rocking/going to rock having three

30. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

I've been completely MIA, but thankfully baby is finally here! He arrived last Wed around 1 am, with a quite fast labor. Once contractions started they were immediately 3-5 minutes apart and painful, so we headed to the hospital as soon as we knew it was the real deal. He made his appearance within a few hours of arriving at the hospital, natural birth, and came out in only two pushes. I was expecting to push for two or three hours, and was pretty stunned when the doctor ran in and assumed the baby catching position as soon as I started pushing My platelets were super low meaning most of the standard interventions posed additional risks, so we feel so, so grateful that the birth went so smoothly.

First week has been amazing - my husband is so enamored with him, it's the best thing ever - but also really hard. Like I'm simultaneously the happiest and most exhausted that I've ever been. My milk was slow to come in and supply is still not great. Little man spends every waking moment eating and also loves to doze off while latched on, which is really exhausting. We've been doing almost daily weight checks and have seen a variety of different people - pediatricians, nps, a lactation consultant - who all have very different opinions on supplementing and whether he should be eating round the clock to establish supply and formula will mess that up or whether that means he's really hungry and needs formula. His weight gain now is right on the border with being ok versus low. We've been experimenting with a bit of supplementing when we feel like he's been feeding and feeding and still isn't satisfied and I'm also pumping after some of the feeds to try to stimulate more supply. Seeing a lactation consultant tomorrow, so hopefully we get more tips on how to strike the right balance...

31. mrskansas

nectarine / 2813 posts

@periwinklebee: So incredibly happy for you and your husband

32. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@mrskansas: Thank you

33. mrs.kiwi

kiwi / 635 posts

@periwinklebee: congratulations!! So so glad birth went smoothly. Itā€™s so hard to know what to expect the first time especially but sounds like u rocked it!

And Iā€™m so sorry.. itā€™s always such an overwhelming time learning to take care of little one and hard to kno what decisions to make thatā€™s best for him. I know you posted awhile ago but my babies were slower to gain weight but intuitively I knew they were getting enough and they eventually were fine and I never supplemented. All three!

I hope the visit with the LC went well and u got some good counsel!

34. periwinklebee

grapefruit / 4466 posts

@mrs.kiwi: thank you! His weight gain seems to be on track now without supplementation but it still worries me a bit. If heā€™s doing good still at his weight check on Thursday Iā€™ll breathe a sigh of relief. I think itā€™s hard for me to have confidence that my body knows what itā€™s doing, whether during pregnancy or birth or with breastfeeding, maybe a bit of a legacy of having had my first experience be losses, but Iā€™m trying to trust my body more...hope things are going well for you!

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee