Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2013 Post-Partum Thread

1. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

@Revel: Glad to hear sleep is getting better!

We just had two great (albeit exhausting!) days with LO. She has been napping really well in the car, so yesterday I went to visit a friend who lives an hour and a half away. S slept the whole way to and from and was very pleasant when she was awake. Plus, she took a bottle from me for the first time (only DH and my mom had successfully fed her with a bottle, previously!). My friend was thrilled to see her and had so much fun playing with her and cuddling her.

Today, DH was off his normal job, and we were out and about most of the day. We brought lunch to my sister, who is currently bedridden after a nasty fall , went to DH's real estate office so he could prep a contract, and then ventured into Philly for the first time with S. We did spend some time hanging out in the car for nursing sessions and diaper changes, but overall it was a very successful day! She did nap more than usual today, so hopefully she sleeps well tonight. Either way, I am so glad I have been getting out of the house and these two days have really boosted my confidence.

2. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

@tlcbaby: @Revel: I am so impressed with you guys jumping right back in to such hardcore workouts! My idea of working out right now is walking. I want to start running, but just the thought of doing that while nursing is painful to me!

3. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@bisous: I was shocked how much running hurt my boobs! And it was only 400 meters as part of our warmup! I am super sore today so I am definitely feeling the effects of jumping back in.

4. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@bisous: glad your adventures went well! It's nice to just get out and have a good day and realize you are not stuck in your house! Sorry about your sister, though

5. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

Checking back in! I'm glad you ladies are doing so well!

We've been out and about so much, I almost wish we had a full day at home. I'm exhausted. I can't wait to get our household goods, we've been on an air mattress for 2 weeks. We're going down to my aunt's house tomorrow. Think it would be weird to pump with my MIL in the car?

DH and I are going to get a schedule going where if the other goes to work out, the other will hold down the fort. Exercise without worry!

6. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@tlcbaby: I'm glad your dad is better. Such a scary thing to go through!

7. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Espion: thank you-he went back to work this week so I think he is doing well.

8. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

@Espion: I hope you get your household stuff soon! Especially your bed! As for pumping in the car with your MIL, I say if you are comfortable, go for it. I would just let her know in advance that you have to do it.

9. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Espion: I agree with @Bisous. If you just tell her ahead of time and if you are comfortable with it then go for it. You could wear a cover if you are more comfortable?

10. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

Gah! I guess since the last post here was 3 days ago everyone is having as much trouble keeping up with HB while taking care of LO as I am. Hope you are all well!

Jack is 8 weeks old today. How is that possible?! I am finally starting feel back to (somewhat) normal after my 3rd degree tear and blood transfusion. Yesterday we had a fun day mini golfing and then went for a 2 milk walk in the evening to our favorite froyo place. It felt good to get out and get some activity, though I am still quite sore down there.

@TLCbaby how is the running? I am doing a 5K (non-competitive) October 5 and I was thinking of doing the couch to 5K workout to ease myself back in. I ran a 5K last September and then my running tapered off once I got pregnant, started my last year of grad school and was working. I know I will need to go slowwwwly!

11. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@maybebaby: 2 months!! E will be 2 months next Thursday. I feel like running through the streets yelling, "We made it!!" Heh. At least my challenges have been coming just one at a time. They've been tough, but I think we're a stronger little family unit for having made it through. I can't wait to start exercising though. As soon as my MIL is gone and we get our stuff situated (finally coming in tomorrow) we're going to get rolling with an exercise program.

Today we watched the floatplanes take off and land. Then we ate lunch at a local spot with a view of the lake and DH took over the babywearing duties so I could eat like a normal person, heh.

Is there anything cuter than a babywearing man?

12. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

@Espion: Gosh, I seriously cannot imagine having moved in the midst of all this chaos! No, there is nothing cuter than a babywearing man And eating like a normal person is such a lovely think indeed!

13. knittylady

pomegranate / 3212 posts

Hello ladies!

I was wondering what time you try to make bedtime... And if there's a rhyme or reason to naps yet. I'm having trouble differentiating between last nap of the day and bed time. Oy.

14. swedishfish

GOLD / coconut / 8266 posts

@knittylady: R's bedtime seems to be around 10 PM. I'm hoping she starts pushing it earlier. I have no idea how to do that. She didn't go to sleep last night till 11:45 though. R doesn't have a set nap schedule yet but tends to cluster feed in the evenings which is how I know it's bedtime.

R had her one month check up today. She is 9lb 13oz and 23.5 inches long! She's in the 98th percentile for length and 62nd for weight. The doctor heard the click in her hip still so we have an ultrasound scheduled for next week. Hopefully everything will be fine.

15. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@maybebaby: My run was more of a run/walk but it felt great to run while not pregnant. I think couch to 5k would be great because you could ease back into it. I guess I am going to have to do the same. I haven't run for probably three months! Today I am going to see how spin class feels.

@knittylady: I was going to ask this today, but then I forgot what I wanted to ask! So glad you asked this. I am getting confused because A takes a nap around 6:00p a lot of the time and then we try to start the bedtime routine around 8:00 or 8:30 and have him down by 9:00p. But then sometimes I am rocking him in the RnP until 9:30p. We finally downloaded a baby monitor app so we keep one phone in our room and one with us and we can come downstairs and have grown up time for a while after A falls asleep!

Since he is taking such a late afternoon nap, though, I wonder when we can try to make that his bedtime and have him sleep about 12 hours with his one wakeup around 4:00a or 5:00a as it has been recently.

16. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

@swedishfish: Bedtime for us is around 7. Then I do a dreamfeed around 10:30/11 and hope for the best. Sometimes he makes it until 4, sometimes earlier, sometimes later, but at least DH and I get to eat dinner on our own!

17. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

Sleep.... LO is still a cat napper on and off through the day. She usually doesn't nap past 5 or 6. She will go down sometimes around 830 or 9, but will always wake in about 45 mins and then go down for "real" closer to 10. Sometimes she just goes down around 10. Then we are still on at least 2 wakeups, 130ish and 530ish, up for good between 730 and 9 am. The last 2 days she just won't sleep though and lots of comfort nursing. I'm thinking maybe growth spurt although this behavior seems different from her previous ones.

I don't mind this schedule so much but I look forward to an earlier bedtime and one wakeup per night. Plus, I'm up for an hour each time because she won't go back in the PNP unless she's completely asleep.

18. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

We are on day 5 of our 8 day trip. LO slept the whole way to the airport but woke up before boarding. I fed her but she stayed awake the whole 2.5 hrs aside from 1 20 minute catnap. She was mostly pleasant tho and barely fussed. Then carrying her through the airport she spit up on me and herself...and fussed for the half hour it took them to bring up the rental car.

She fell asleep in the car and I fed her when she woke up fussing after an hour. Spent some time rolling around in the cargo area and then back to driving...she slept about 2 hours then. My dad and I even took turns driving around a gas station parking lot while we each used the restroom, so she wouldn't wake from us stopping the car! Stopped again and fed her when she woke. Finally about 40 minutes from our destination she started screaming and wouldn't stop, we decided to press on and about 5 minutes from arrival, she vomited all over herself, the car seat, and a bit on the rental car. Was bad enough that we had to stop and clean it and change her rather then wait 5 minutes. So that was a fun 4 hour car trip!!

Things have been ok since arrival. A few incredibly fussy days but yesterday we got a 4(!) hr nap midday. My dad has helped a ton. I haven't felt well since arrival and turns out, I caught a cold. Ugh. Hope LO doesn't get it.

As luck would have it my grandma and I found a swing at a thrift store for 20 bucks! That's how the 4 hr nap happened. She is napping in her rock n play, which I crammed in to my suitcase, now.

Not looking forward to our drive back to Salt Lake City or our evening flight home Sunday, but we will manage though those are her fussiest times.

19. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@LazyLightning: That is funny about driving around the gas station. Glad things are going well and that is an awesome deal on the swing. We don't have one here, but the few times he has used one other places A seems to really like them. A four hour nap is awesome!

20. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@LazyLightning: Sounds like your trip was an adventure! I hope you made it home ok. The swing is pretty much the only place LO will nap other than being held. We went to the beach for a few days without it and were definitely regretting not packing it up.

I hate to bring up this topic because the thought of it is so upsetting to me, but is anyone going back to work soon? I go back the last week in August and I am already getting nervous and feeling sad about it.

21. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Revel: I am starting part time work at the Y today. I have gone there a few times and left him in the daycare to work out so I am comfortable with it, but I would still prefer to be here with him. I feel like when I cart him around places I mess with his schedule and I always feel bad. But I need to make us some money so I am hoping they can find enough work for me to do that I can get at least 15-20 hours for now since I will be in school, too.

Do you have pretty much a 9-5, M-F schedule?

I am starting to feel so confused with A in the evenings! He won't really take a good nap after his last wake up at 3p or 4p, but he gets super fussy. But if I try to put him to bed early it takes forever to get him down. It took me from 7p to 9p last night. Top that off with the fact that he wants to self soothe so badly, but he can't quite get his thumb consistently so he fusses about that, too. It seems like he doesn't want me to help him to sleep, he wants to do it himself, but he can't. So yeah, we fought each other for quite a long time last night.

22. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@Revel: I go back next week! I'm pretty happy about it actually. I like the daycare and I'm not SAHM material.

23. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

Oh and we got home last night at 1 am. I will write about it later

24. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@tlcbaby: Good luck at the Y! I remember you posted about that - glad you have gotten to try out the daycare.

Also, I could have written your post about sleep! We go through the exact same thing with LO. It's virtually impossible to get her to nap after 4 or 5pm, but she won't really go down until 9. Often I spend from 7:30 - 9pm doing "bedtime" with her (i.e. nursing/rocking) just because she's so cranky. Not sure if this would work for you but depending on how the evening goes we will take her for a walk sometimes around 7 or so. Often she will doze in the stroller, and then we can start bedtime around 8. At this point it doesn't seem to mess up her night sleep to get that little nap in. Her night sleep is poor to begin with, I know you've said A is a good sleeper so you might not want to mess with that!

@LazyLightning: Glad you are feeling so positive about returning to work! I know I just need to reframe the issue for myself because I'm building it up. I never planned to be a SAHM but I don't love my job and the logistics of going back and managing the rest of our lives just seems so overwhelming.

25. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Revel: Maybe a walk would be good! I just feel so bad when I can't figure out what he wants.

I agree about the overwhelming feeling. I feel like keeping a person alive is plenty of responsibility and now we have to add in work!

26. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

Hi mommies'! How are you all doing with your new babies? Life has really changed hasn't it...it's amazing.

27. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@jh524: Just a little I think the craziest thing is how quickly everything changes and how you just don't even think twice about your new life. I mean, obviously I think nostalgically about my old life, but if A needs something I just do it.

Today is his two month appt. Two shots today. I feel so sad for him because he doesn't even know what is coming.

28. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@tlcbaby: I'm getting better at it every day. Hope your boys appt goes nice and easy today. Shots no fun!!

Roy was put through the ringer at three weeks old. He started choking and couldn't recover. He ended up being life flighted down, we live in the mountains so were 3 hrs away frm boise, to the NICU. He spent 5 days there getting poked and prodded and getting every test to look for a serious problem. It was horrible. Honestly, worst five days of my life. Luckily, everything came back great and they think it was some virus that made him sick. ...and he swallows air so that's why his tummy was distended and enlarged. I don't let him cry anymore because I heard enough crying in the five days to last a lifetime.

29. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@jh524: Oh my gosh, I had no idea. I am so sorry. I am glad everything turned out okay, though.

30. swedishfish

GOLD / coconut / 8266 posts

@jh524: oh my goodness, thank heavens Roy is ok!!! How are YOU doing, mama?

31. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

We had her 2 month checkup on Monday morning... she's 11 lbs, 8 oz, and about 23" long. so she's gained about an inch in height since birth, and almost 3 lbs!

Her sleep is OK... not very predictable though. Just when we think we have her pegged, things change! A friend of mine has a toddler who sleeps 7 pm to 7 am. WOULDNT THAT BE NICE?! lol.

So, our trip was actually really decent. She had so many great moments during the week. From big smiles for my grandma, so grabbing at something I tried to hand to her (deliberately grabbed it!), it was very cool. She is also wanting to stand on our legs, or on any surface (with lots of support of course). She is not content to just sit there, that's for sure! This made our flights very tiring for me.

Flying with a baby is no joke, but it wasn't awful. She cried in the airports a bit, but really didn't fuss too much on the planes. At one point when our ears popped, her eyes got all wide and she opened her mouth and gaped at me, but did not fuss. Good girl. I did have to keep her entertained though. She barely slept at all on the plane. Wanted to stand on my legs, look around, be talked to, etc. I wished so much that she was old enough to care about toys or board books. But, we made it!

She did not do very well in the car, however. We had 2 long car trips (4 hours+) and 2 short ones (1.5 hours each) and she fussed for a decent portion of both. The longest stretch, she cried about an hour straight. I knew she wasn't hungry or wet, so we just let her go a while. Then she ate at the next town, and promptly fell asleep for 2 hours. The crying wore her out for sure!

It was only an hour time change, and we've been home for about 3 days now, but I don't think she's quite back on track yet. She has given me a couple of amazing naps (um, 4.5 hours?!!!) this week so clearly, the traveling wore her out!

I unfortunately came down with a cold early in the week of our travels. Still struggling with it now. I don't think she got it. I hope she didn't.

As i mentioned the other day, I go back to work on Wednesday but she starts daycare on Monday. I will do some partial days Monday/Tuesday to get she and I used to it. I plan to use those days to do a bunch of things for myself and the house. Some cooking, cleaning, sewing, shopping, etc. Maybe a pedicure if I have time!!

I honestly am happy to be going back to work. I love my daughter but I'm not cut out to be a SAHM. She is very demanding and fussy, and it will be nice to share her care during the day. I think through that, I will enjoy her more when I spend time with her. (Not that I don't enjoy her now but you know what I mean, right?) I also look forward to using lunch hours to do the errand running (baby free!). I think it'll be good.

32. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

Oh and we totally bought a swing while on vacation. She would not nap more than 20 minutes. I lucked out and found a swing at a thrift store for $20! The first store I stopped at, too. Woo hoo. She napped much better once we got it.

33. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@jh524: OMG! That's so scary! Also I'm curious about where you live now. We were vacationing about 2.5 hours northeast of Boise, where my grandparents live.

34. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@swedishfish: I was a mess but am thankful it's over. It was the worse thing ever!

@LazyLightning: I swear by my swing! He loves it. We live in McCall.

35. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@jh524: ah cool . We were in Sun Valley

36. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

@jh524: How scary!! I am so glad he is ok. I hope you're taking care of yourself too.

@tlcbaby: I hope the appointment and shots went well! We go for his shots at the end of the month. Glad to get him immunized, but I'm going to hate to see him cry

@LazyLightning: Glad the trip went well! Those little developments are so exciting!

LO has a clogged tear duct, so I've been massaging his eye and applying an eye ointment that the ped gave us. He's holding his head up pretty well for 6 weeks! He also started smiling at us this week which is fun I think he's going through a "leap" so he's been fussy lately. Hoping that clears up in the coming week.

37. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Pepper: A actually did really well - I was expecting worse. He screamed when they gave him the shot, but he stopped as soon as we picked him up and held him for a minute. The other vaccine was oral and they sweeten it up with god knows what, but he LOVED it. He was smiling and you could tell he wanted more. It must taste even better than milk!

When A had a clogged duct I massaged it and also put breast milk in it. It cleared up eventually. My niece is 7 months and nothing is working on hers, but it sounds like they won't take any further measures until they are a year old.

@LazyLightning: Hope you feel better! Sounds like things went as well as can be expected-that is a lot of traveling! We don't have a big trip until November (flight to Oklahoma) and I am already thinking about it. A likes the swing at daycare, I think we should get one, but we are running out of room.

I understand about going back to work and appreciating the time you do have with her since you won't be together all day every day. And let me just say that baby-free errands sounds awesome. I hate when we just need one thing like dog food because I really don't want to get him all loaded up just for that.

38. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@LazyLightning: ooh, sun valley is amazing! I've only been there in the winter though..

39. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

We just got home from vacation so I am catching up on this thread! Vacation was great except for a few bumps in the road (mainly not arriving at our destination until super late because we had to stop at my in laws and some torrential rain on the day we went to the beach). We didn't let the little things stop us from having fun though. Our main destinations were Williamsburg and Virginia Beach. S was good and napped well. And the hotel black out curtains were amazing...she got one night of 10.5 hours of sleep! We were shocked.

@Revel: I am going back to work in a week and a half. I am so overwhelmed by the thought of it. I don't think I could stay home full time with my LO (ideally I would work 20 hrs a week!), but I am definitely not ready to go back yet. It's hard to even envision what a typical day will look like, since right now we let S set the schedule and go with the flow!

@LazyLightning: Sounds like quite an adventure for your trip! Whoever gets to stay in the car when we have to run errands usually has to drive around the parking lot, just like your gas station situation! No one wants to be to blame for waking up our sleeping baby. I hope your cold is getting better.

@jh524: Your poor baby boy! I am so sorry you had to go through that. I hope he continues to do well and you have no other emergencies!

40. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

Hi-how is everyone doing? A is back to two wake ups most nights and I don't know why. But he still sleeps until about 7:00am so I am not complaining too much. I like to have a little time to myself in the morning so I get up around 6:00 to eat breakfast and whatnot.

I am putting him in his crib for naps now because I want him to get used to it. We are discussing sleep training sometime in about a month or two so I want him to be used to the crib before we do that. He looks so teeny in there, though!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee