Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2016 Gear Updates, Ideas, Deals, Etc

1. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@starlitsky: there's no temp on our monitor, i haven't missed it. Room temp wasn't something we really worried about, as long as everyone seemed comfortable and happy, our thermostat was always set around 68 anyways...

2. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@brownepiano: thanks for the advice, esp about not getting cheap stuff! And yes, I think I will borrow wraps to try them out before I buy.

@pastemoo: I'm planning to cosleep at first too, then transition to crib after a few months. we'll see how it goes hehe.

@catomd00: thanks for your input! I think I'm going to leave the Samsung on our registry. we live in a 2-bedroom apt and I can just check the thermostat for the room temp.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to go with gray or black for our car seat and stroller. I like the look of black better but will it get too hot in the summer?

3. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@Mrs. Pink: Pic of your squish stash?

4. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@starlitsky: I vote gray! Everyone has black gray will be a little easier to spot in a crowd! I love that I have a yellow stroller when we go to festivals and the farmers market! So easy to find each other when we get seperated!

5. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

So we have some nice khaki colored curtains we want to re-use in the nursery. I have heard from friends that black out curtains are a must (even from my friends who don't fall prey to most of the "musts" that the retail industry says we need...) So we are on the fence right now between buying a black out liner that would hang on the rod with the khaki curtains or attach to the back of the curtains with clips V.S. pull down vinyl shades like these from Home Depot: http://tinyurl.com/zz8k5cs

What do you guys think?

6. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@meadow: I've never found even the heaviest of shades to be enough. I made black out curtains for DS and we put them over his wooden blinds and they make a huge difference. I don't know how much the liners cost but you can also buy blackout liner material at a fabric shop and cut it to the right size. It doesn't really seem to fray.

7. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@meadow: Huh. I've never had blackout shades. Is this more for you or for baby?

8. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@pastemoo: For baby - so that naptime is dark in the room.

9. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@brownepiano: Thanks for that advice!!

10. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@meadow: Interesting. I had his crib in the living room when he napped and we never even thought about the light! He napped pretty averagely.

11. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

@catomd00: thanks! I'm leaning towards grey! hehe. yellow sounds like a bright sunny color.

@meadow: eek blackout curtains?! yet another thing I don't have haha!

12. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

This is very funny to me....I read about them and was like PSH that's for snotty parents. I am a very practical person I feel and this whole twins thing and needing double of so many things has made me more conscious of being practical. So I went to my BFF who I think is similarly down to earth and said something like "black out curtains aren't something we actually need, right?" and she through it right back at me and said that they were really helpful with both of her kids.

So now maybe its not a big deal

13. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

Our nursery doesn't ever get direct sun so I'm not worried for in there and the first three months the little guy will be in our bedroom and we have some in there because my hubby works graveyards regularly.

And I got three diapers today! Only 20 more to go!

14. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@RKitty: oh my gosh --- so cute!!!!

15. starlitsky

clementine / 795 posts

Gap has a 40% code with no exclusions that expires tonight: HAPPY

I used it to buy some Gap exclusive aden + anais stuff (burpy bibs, muslin swaddle, and dream blanket)!

16. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@Mrs. Pink: (and others who baby wear....) What kind of wrap do you think this is:

I know 0% about baby wearing but judging by how many times our babies have been caught with their heads together on ultrasounds, I have this feeling that they are going to want to remain close after their born. I have my Twingo for when they are bigger.....but thinking I might want to do something like this when they are itty bitty....

17. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

Anyone want a BBB coupon for a $500 furniture purchase (I'm thinking maybe those of you buying a new crib?)?

18. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@RKitty: So cute!!

sales on target! got 70$ off my carseat (including registry completion discount)
    AND $15 gift card coming in the mail.

19. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

my diaper stash.
    Top row= newborn
    left= brand new! right= left from my son
    Bottom row= one size (all from my son, both pics)

ETA j/k bottom row left = one size, bottom row right= gdiaper "smalls" which fit for a few weeks. the mediums are the ones that lasted us through potty training and there are 10 or so of those in a closet or somewhere.

20. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@meadow: I borrowed one of these from a friend, it was cute! It was the hybrid one--halfway between stretchy and woven. Perfect for small babies. I don't know if that one is the hybrid or the woven one.
    Find BWI in your area and attend an event. They are so great and will teach you--and they may have a lending library so you can try things before you go shopping!

21. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

@pastemoo: I'm up to about 12 diapers I think. Different brands and types. A few used too. I've been spreading out the purchases and we're not planning to do newborn cloth diapers as this kid is probably going to be on the large size and I don't want to spend money on diapers we probably won't use. I do have a couple so we can try them out atleast.

But where did you get that koi diaper (top right) I really love it and want one!

@meadow: I was able to go to one of my local babywearing meetings and found the local fb group. They all were really nice and they had a TON of carriers for check out. So I second contacting your local branch.

22. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@meadow: just catching up on this thread. Black out curtains are 1000000% a must for my kid!!!

23. meadow

persimmon / 1272 posts

@pastemoo: That's an awesome deal at target!!
    Your diaper stash looks so cute
    Thanks for the advice on the wrap...our local BWI is over an hour away and I can't see myself getting involved with that big of a drive @RKitty:

@Mrs. Champagne: thx!

24. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@pastemoo: so cute I looooove cloth diapers! I could never commit to using them, and it's probably best because I'd buy all of them!

Is shopping a form of nesting because I seriously cannot stop buying random stuff! DH is getting so mad every time he comes home there's 2-3 boxes on our doorstep! Ooooops!

25. MrsKRB

nectarine / 2465 posts

@catomd00: LOL same here! I was wondering the same thing, I don't feel like organizing/cleaning too much, but buying all the things? YES!

26. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

@meadow: If you typed something after my name it didn't show up

That's to bad about your BWI group. I was really surprised to see I had a local one, I've only made it to one meeting as they are always week day mornings. I was really surprised at the large crowd we had!

@catomd00: I haven't gone on a buying spree yet but I'm suddenly much more aware of the baby sections when I',m out shopping... But I managed to not buy anything because of the amount of stuff people are giving us! It's insane and I hate missing out on deals but I rather do that then end up with a ton of the same things.

27. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@RKitty: I didn't buy a lot with my first because of everything we got from anyone else. But, I was happy to have another girl so I didn't have to buy much, but now I can't stop It's so fun!

28. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

Moms of 2 already, and #2 on the way - double stroller?? I can't decide!! Also been looking at the ones with a board for toddler ride on back a lot too. I also can't decide if we should buy a double stroller for running, or if I will want that to be "me" time.... Decisions decisions!

I don't keep up with this thread so sorry if it's already been hashed out

29. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@runnerd: we are waiting to see if we need one. DD is a new 2 but has never loved the stroller. I can see her wanting in though just because someone else is in it! For now, I'm going to just plan on wearing baby if DD wants to ride. I debated a kick board, but I think a full on double will be better for DD and our needs if she decides she wants to love the stroller! I really want the snap duo, but the practical side of me says I need to get something cheaper because we don't use our stroller tons.

30. futuremama

clementine / 854 posts

@catomd00: @runnerd: we're also waiting. DD has recently been fighting the stroller. I'll wear #2 until we decide. I'm probably going to go with the snap duo too. Have you seen it in person? I love what I've read but would like to see it in person.

31. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@futuremama: no I haven't yet and nowhere around my carries it. But, it's super light which is #1 most important to me lol, so I'll take my chances based off reviews if it comes to that. I haven't been impressed with any of the double options anyways, so it can't be any worse!

32. Mrs. Champagne

coconut / 8483 posts

@runnerd: we Got a double. We walk a lot to the beach and stuff! We picked the city mini GT double. So far ds loves riding in it solo! Haha

33. futuremama

clementine / 854 posts

@catomd00: totally agree. It seems to have most of the features of the other popular ones, but it's so much lighter. Makes it a winner to me! Even though I don't want to spend the money, I'm really hoping DD #1 gets over this anti-stroller phase.

34. brownepiano

persimmon / 1467 posts

@runnerd: I couldn't decide either but ultimately I found a used double jogging stroller at a really good price. DS 1 is really hit or miss with the stroller but I thought he would want to ride if the baby is riding. We're hoping to use it in the fall (because it's not a snap in) and next spring.

I plan on doing more baby wearing this time, but last time I kind of hated it so that's what made me decide to just get a double stroller to have options.

35. catomd00

grapefruit / 4418 posts

@futuremama: I know I'm so envious about kids who love the stroller! Would make my life so much easier! The only way i can get her to sit in it for more than 20 minutes is give her the iPad.

36. pastemoo

cantaloupe / 6146 posts

@RKitty: Abby 's lane, of all the diapers I own, that is the only exclusive. I don't know if there are any more!@meadow: bummer it is so far! Might be worth a one time drive, or just buy and then sell what you don't like on tbw or the Facebook swap (or here, but might be slower?)

37. RKitty

apricot / 341 posts

@pastemoo: I looked into it and yah it was an exclusive in Nov. 2015. I guess no go for me Thank you though!

38. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

Thanks for input on strollers! I guess that's what I'll do - wait. It's something I can always have in 2 days via Amazon

LO #1 goes through phases where he is good in strollers and then refusing it!

39. runnerd

pear / 1593 posts

@brownepiano: I hope I can babywear more this time too! LO #1 was anti-babywearing, but I didn't have a great wrap/carrier either. Hoping to find an used Ergo this time.

40. Alba4

nectarine / 2951 posts

Our Motorola color monitor broke, so we need to buy a new one for #2. Does anyone have some good suggestions? It might be nice to find a model that is combatible with our iPhones. Thanks!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee