1. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

@skinnycow: oh no, i am so sorry to hear this news. sending hugs

2. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@skinnycow: I'm so, so sorry to hear this! My thoughts are with you

3. sunflowerbee

cherry / 132 posts

@skinnycow: I am so, so sorry. Sending you so many hugs and thinking of you.

4. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@skinnycow: I am so sorry

5. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

Thanks everyone - I appreciate it!

6. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

@skinnycow: So sorry to hear this. Thoughts and hugs.

7. sunflowerbee

cherry / 132 posts

Hey ladies, happy Friday! How is everyone feeling?

I had another ultrasound appointment last night. We got to see the baby moving around a lot which was pretty cool. Baby had a strong heartbeat of 175 bpm. I do have a question about measurements. Going by my ovulation date, I thought I was 9+3 yesterday. Going by my LMP, my doctor thought I was 10 weeks, but I know that I ovulated on CD 19 and not the typical CD 14. The doctor took several measurements and the biggest measurement she took, the baby measured 8+5. I asked if there was cause for concern that the baby was measuring 5 days behind per my calculation and she said that I shouldn't be concerned and that measures are estimates. She also said that there was interval growth (the baby measured 7+3 2 weeks ago), we could see it moving, and the heartbeat was strong. She did revise my due date from 5/31 to 6/4, which is the EDD that I'd been calculating all along.

I wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with measuring behind and then baby caught up later. I even asked if it's because my husband and I are both on the shorter side but she said that doesn't impact it at this stage. I do have another ultrasound in 2 weeks so I'll be able to get updated measurements again then.

8. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@sunflowerbee: I'm glad to hear that your u/s went well!

No experience to share as DD measured spot on my entire pregnancy, but LO2 is currently measuring a week behind. Granted, I wasn't really tracking so can't be quite sure when I ovulated. My OB said it's perfectly normal though and baby should catch up quickly. I'll be anxious until my next ultrasound though....

9. sunflowerbee

cherry / 132 posts

@csross217: Thanks for the reassurance! From what I've read online, it seems that +/- 5 days seems to be the norm especially when they're still so tiny. My DH and I compared the two print outs of the u/s pictures and to us, it looks like there was a lot of growth between our cute blob, haha. Yeah, I'm glad that I have another u/s scheduled soon to give me further peace of mind.

10. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

@sunflowerbee: congrats on the great ultrasound! we have our next one on monday and i am really counting down the minutes and hoping to see a little heartbeat!

if your doctor put your due date right where you were calculating based on ovulation, that seems like a great sign! i think it is an art not a science with this early stuff. my ovulation is always significantly later than the standard 14 (this time i think it was at least a full 21 days) and this was true with my first LO, but i was less aware of how to explain this to the doctor and advocate for myself than i am now, so the doctor concluded he was measuring behind at my first appointment and had me come in for a bunch of checks. when he seemed to be growing, they just set his due date based on their measurements, not when i knew he was actually conceived. and of course, he was born 4 days after his due date--on the day that i had calculated was his real due date based on ovulation! long story short, the measurements can definitely be off especially early on, and if you are on track for the due date you originally calculated, i think you are good!!

these early weeks when you have no growing bump and no moving baby (that you can feel) are hard, though. i'm definitely anxious for monday and glad that we're planning on an NIPT, so should be able to get another ultrasound about three weeks after that...

11. sunflowerbee

cherry / 132 posts

@nwm: Thank you for sharing your story! Through this forum, I've learned to advocate for myself and not everyone has the textbook cycle and ovulates on CD 14 (even if your cycle is 28 days long like mine is). That's pretty awesome that your LO was born on the exact EDD that you calculated!

I definitely agree that it's hard when you don't have any exterior signs of pregnancy yet and have to rely on the u/s to make sure everything is going ok in there. I'm also having the NIPT done and based on how baby is measuring at my appointment on 11/14, I will have it done then (when I'm supposed to be 11+1) or on 11/30 (when I'm 13+4) because my doctor likes to do it between 11-13 weeks.

I hope that everything goes well for you on Monday and that you're able to have a great u/s and see/hear the heartbeat!

12. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

@sunflowerbee: thank you!! totally agree--at least it's the silver lining of feeling crappy. i've been feeling on and off yucky the past few days but am actually pretty happy about it.

hope everyone has a nice weekend! if this past week is a guide, i'll be spending it inhaling significant amounts of food every 2 hours.

13. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

@sunflowerbee: Sorry to hear about your dating challenges, but if your doctor's not worried things should work out. Biology isn't exact.

Does anyone have any advice for easy ways to make people think you're not pregnant? I'm not quite ready to announce generally--first ultrasound is next week, and I want to see the heartbeat/make sure things are OK. but I'm going to my nephew's first birthday this weekend and my sister-in-law is like bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out pregnancies. I've thought about holding a beer, and swapping bottles with DH once his empty, but I've been so thirsty that I'd need to have a water, too, which would still look weird, and probably tip her off (she has three kids, so knows the drill). The other thought I had was to fill a flask with water and mix myself "gin and tonics" but that seems a little excessive and what if somebody else wants one.

14. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@karenbme: Could you say that you are the designated driver? That's how I got out of telling anyone at a party before I was ready during my first pregnancy. Or maybe fill up an empty beer bottle with water or soda to sip on?

15. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

@csross217: I hadn't thought about filling up an empty, that's a good idea, I'd just have to be sneaky about it... Unfortunately it's a far enough drive that we're staying the night, so DD, which has been my go to with friends is out.

I also thought about saying something along the lines of "I always get a little bit of a stomach thing after eating at the dining hall at the college where I work, and I had a lunch meeting there yesterday," as an excuse to bring/guzzle seltzer (it helps with my nausea SO much).

16. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

@karenbme: it can be really hard with experienced moms who are looking for a reason to suspect! we had some luck with basically just having my husband and i rotate drinks where he'd drink a little of mine at a time. i found that if you grab a drink and take a sip people will pretty much stop paying attention to you. another option is to say you're coming down with something or have been sick. i've also tried the seltzer with lime in it, but yeah, if you're with family that seems risky because if someone asks for a sip you are fully busted in a lie! designated driver could also be a good one!

17. NeonPink1234

cherry / 107 posts

@sunflowerbee: I have two kids, my first was measuring two weeks behind (3 days smaller than my calculations) so my Dr changed my due date. By the anatomy scan she was two weeks big! And my second was measuring a week behind (3 days behind my calculations) and the Dr didn't change my due date. She was over a week big at the anatomy scan and both were big babies. So between early scan and anatomy scan mine seem to grow about two weeks faster than the charts.

18. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

appointment went well today! heard a strong heartbeat and measuring on track with the last appointment. got an official due date of june 23, so looks like we are on track with my estimated ovulation date too! we go back 11/28 for another appointment/ultrasound, to meet with the genetic counselor, and get blood drawn for the NIPT.

19. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

@nwm: Congratulations!

20. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

@karenbme: thanks! how did it going keeping the news under wraps at the party?

21. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

@nwm: It was fine until the very end, when I was overheard vomiting and everyone was very concerned, so I told. Everyone was excited, and at a certain point if I do miscarry it's only DH's parents and siblings/spouses we have to explain to. I also told the adults not to tell their kids until after Thanksgiving just in case.

22. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

@karenbme: aw! well that's awesome that everyone was excited--my husband is very big on keeping the news under wraps, and i'm on board for work purposes, but honestly i think it's a pain to keep it a secret from close family (probably worse because my family is really big on drinking...my parents opened the nicest bottle of wine at dinner last night as an anniversary celebration, sigh). i'd probably rather just tell them, and it's nice when you can have people be excited for you and supporting you

23. sunflowerbee

cherry / 132 posts

@NeonPink1234: Thank you for sharing your story and for the reassurance! That's interesting that both of your children consistently grew bigger than the charts later on in your pregnancies.

@nwm: Congrats on a great appointment! It's always exciting to be able to hear the heartbeat!

@karenbme: Aw so sorry to hear you got sick but that's exciting that you were able to share your news! We told some of our family and close friends over the weekend. It was really fun to finally let them in on the secret!

24. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

@nwm: Yeah, keeping the secret is tough. Particularly from people you're close to. Honestly, I wouldn't be stressing about it except that our first appointment isn't until Friday. If we get the all clear from the doctor then, I'll feel better. Sorry you had to miss out on the nice wine. That's one of the things I'm kind of sad about for Thanksgiving. My Dad and I usually sit up talking with a bottle (or two) of wine until late at night, and between the no drinking and the passing out at ~8:30 every night, I'm pretty sure that's a tradition we're going to skip this year.

@sunflowerbee: Thanks. It does feel good to tell people, and between my three SILs and my MIL there are 11 total kids, so they were able to give some good advice for sure. Once we have our first appointment on Friday we're probably going to start telling close friends if everything looks OK. We both told one person within a week of finding out, but other than that we've kept it under wraps until this weekend.

25. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

hi ladies, how is everyone doing? hope you're feeling well! today was my first day wishing i could unbutton my pants while sitting at my desk. i've been eating a lot because i get nauseous when i'm hungry! i'm considering telling people at work that i'm stress eating to deal with nerves over an upcoming promotion decision because i'm worried five weeks from now it's going to be reeeeally obvious. DH kindly offered to publicly make fun of me for gaining weight to deflect suspicion, i told him he could shove that suggestion

26. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

Sad news. I might be out. At my appointment today, baby measured only 6 weeks (expected 8w3d-8w6d based on ovulation/lmp). Follow up on Thursday.

27. skinnycow

pear / 1728 posts

@karenbme: I'm sorry - I just went through this so feel free to reach out. Was there a heartbeat? Fingers crossed it's just a slow grower.

28. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

@karenbme: I'm very sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for Thursday.

29. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

@skinnycow: The first doctor couldn't find a heartbeat. The second thought she might see one, but couldn't be sure. Fingers crossed, but they gave me the option of talking about options today or rescanning, which makes me less hopeful.

30. karenbme

persimmon / 1419 posts

@nwm: Thanks.

31. sunflowerbee

cherry / 132 posts

@karenbme: I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe they will be able to pick something up on Thursday when they scan you again. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

32. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@karenbme: So sorry to hear this Fingers crossed for you!

33. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

I feel so bad posting about my appointment today because it seems there has been so much bad news on this thread

My appointment went well. Apparently my uterus feels a good size for being 10 weeks, and the doctor found a heartbeat with the doppler. It was 166. No ultrasound today, not until 20 weeks. That is fine by me, I ended up having 6 or 7 with DD due to complications, so this one is allowing me to relax for now.

34. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@Ms. RV: I'm glad that your appointment went well! You're lucky to have been able to hear the heartbeat on the doppler already!!

My next appointment isn't until December 5 - going in for nuchal translucency. At my appointment last week the OB said she could feel that my uterus is growing as it should but it was too early for the doppler. I'll be super nervous until I get to see/hear that heartbeat again.

35. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

i know, there has been a lot of sad news

@Ms. RV: @csross217: congrats on the good appointments! that's amazing to hear a heartbeat on the doppler at 10 weeks!

it's funny how into ultrasounds my OB practice seems to be--we've already had two and will have another one december 1, plus already have the referral for a 12 week NT at a testing place. since we're doing the NIPT, i may ask my doctor if she thinks doing the NT as well is really worth it. definitely agree that i'm feeling nerves til my next one--and frantically interpreting every dip up and down in nausea/exhaustion/boob soreness.

36. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@nwm: That is a lot of ultrasounds! Do they do them i the office? My practice outsources them, so maybe that is why I will hopefully only get two (anatomy and delivery) this pregnancy.

37. sunflowerbee

cherry / 132 posts

@Ms. RV: So glad to hear your appointment went well!

@csross217: Good luck at your NT appointment! I hope you'll be able to see/hear a nice, strong heartbeat!

@nwm: My OB practice is also really big on ultrasounds which is fine by me since I love being able to see the baby growing more frequently. My doctor also had the NT vs. NIPT conversation with me last night. Which one are you leaning toward? My practice recommends the NT over the NIPT if you're under 35 (which I am).

I had another ultrasound appointment last night. Baby was measuring 5 days behind at my appointment 1.5 weeks ago but must have had a serious growth spurt because now it's measuring 1 day ahead at 11+2! I was so relieved to see all that growth! My placenta is also really growing in and was unfortunately obstructing our view of baby a bit. We listened to the heartbeat and it measured 166 bpm.

I go for the integrated screen next Friday and will have the NT testing done. We're debating between the Panorama genetic testing or the genetic bloodwork that's part of the integrated screen. I think we're leaning toward the latter and if anything is found to be high risk, my practice then recommends having the Panorama test done since it's a NIPT test.

Has anyone else had their genetic testing done yet or know which one they're going to choose?

38. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

@Ms. RV: yeah, they have fulltime ultrasound techs and they have capability for vaginal and abdominal ultrasounds, so i can definitely see why an OB would just order one, and it's super convenient for me! plus they all seem to be covered by my insurance, which is great.

@sunflowerbee: awesome! congrats on the great appointment and all the growth! i am 35 on the nose, so i am definitely doing the NIPT (doctor's rec plus it's covered by insurance), so i am leaning against doing the NT scan. last time i wasn't 35 yet but i ended up doing both. i guess it being my first time i wanted as much reassurance as i could get (also, i wasn't 35 yet but i was 33 and my husband is a fair amount older...), and by some miracle my insurance still wound up covering both. now having seen both it feels like really only one is necessary (unless you have any high risk results or anything like that)--and i like the added benefit of getting to learn the gender early!

39. nwm

clementine / 830 posts

also now that i am 35 my ob has us meet with a genetic counselor in her office. we are going to meet with her december 1 and do all the tests then. i think it's great and responsible that the practice does this, but i'm nervous already and guessing it's going to be a painful conversation to have and we then have to wait a week to we see any test results.

40. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@nwm: Are you going to meet with the genetic counselor after you get the results too? Or just before?

@sunflowerbee: We aren't planning on any testing this pregnancy, but the last one we had NIPT after the anatomy scan. I loved all of the detail it provided. I would go with that if it is an option.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee