Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

March 2016 - Post Partum

1. Lilbear

apricot / 451 posts

Does anyone know how long it takes for your stitches to dissolve? I had my baby on Monday, and I had 2 super minor tears - they each required ONE stitch. I am having pain & pulling sensations at times due to the stitches and I just want to know when that is going to stop. I feel like the tears were so minor that I probably don't even need the stitches anymore, especially when their presence alone is causing discomfort. 😟

2. Alivoo01

wonderful olive / 19353 posts

@momtimes3: I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. ❤❤❤

3. Alivoo01

@mrsrain: eek on the blood pressure scare but glad it's back under control again!

4. Alivoo01

@erinbaderin: sibling love is so freaking awesome! DS loves on DD like crazy but sometimes forgets to be gentle... Lol

The newborn pic looks great!! I'm so jelly your photographer posted a sneak peak already! I'm still waiting on ours but she's also been busy with Easter mini sessions so hopefully soon!!

5. Alivoo01

@Lilbear: ouch on the pulling sensation. Maybe give your OB a call to inquire?

6. Alivoo01

DD had her 2 week appt earlier this week and has gained 10oz and 1 inch since birth so we're happy about that.

My bleeding comes and goes. I won't have anything for a couple days and get excited it's finally gone then the next day, bam! Sigh. Hopefully soon though.

7. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Lilbear: Ouch, that sucks! I still have my stitches from my c section and it's been 10 days, but not sure if they're the same kind of stitches?

@Alivoo01: Yeah, Bennett swings between gentle and exuberant too. Sometimes he carefully pets his head and holds his hand, other times he just flings himself on us. He's also in a phase where he likes to stand behind me on the couch while I nurse with his arms around my neck, which is sweet but uncomfortable.

8. mrsrain

nectarine / 2115 posts

@Lilbear: I'm not sure! I had 3 little stitches, too, and they're still there 2 weeks later I use a numbing spray when they bother me.

@Alivoo01: that's great growth! I have the same issue with bleeding. Mine was GONE for several days, then came back after my little hospitAl visit and has come and gone ever since. They said it likely started up again because I was overdoing it (I guess a stressful hospital visit without my baby for six hours qualifies as overdoing it).

At his 2 week visit yesterday Josh has officially surpassed his birth weight! We are officially able to let him sleep for up to 5 hours in a stretch overnight, so of course he has started cluster-feeding instead.

DH starts back to work on Monday and I'm not feeling ready to take on my toddler and newborn together full-time!

9. Lilbear

apricot / 451 posts

So today my stitches didn't bother me in the slightest. I hope that means I'm healing well and that the worst is over. I also am having a similar experience to some of you where my postpartum bleeding is super light. I had zero bleeding all day today, it wasn't until 8 pm that I had one spot of blood. My baby is only 5 days old and I am breastfeeding all day every day. The bleeding lasted almost 7 weeks with my DD and it was pretty heavy for most of that! It's so crazy how different this pregnancy and recovery has been!

One more question for you ladies - does anyone else feel like their firstborn child suddenly seems ginormous now that the baby is here? My Dd will be 3 next month, and I swear to god she must have gained 10 pounds and grown 6 inches while I was in the hospital having the baby! It's insane! DH and I both can't get over how she looks like such a big girl to us now!

10. Alivoo01

@mrsrain: woohoo for longer stretches of sleep!! DD is cluster feeding also and sleeps awesome during the day (4+ hours) but is up every 3 hours at night. Hope she flips her schedule soon!!

My hubby starts back at work on Monday too! I'm still planning on taking my son to daycare so I can focus on DD till I go back to work. But just thinking of getting both kids dressed and loaded up by myself sounds daunting. Since DS is currently in the "no pants" team and thinks running away while getting him dressed is a hilarious game. Oof.

11. Alivoo01

@Lilbear: OMG!!!! Yes on first born seeming to have gained 10 pounds and a foot over night!! DH and I probably mention this daily since bringing DD home. And my lil boy is considered small for his age group so yea... Lol

12. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@mrsrain: My bleeding has been weird too - it was getting really light but in the last few days has gone back to bright red. Still not much of it, though. Plus I've been getting these occasional crippling cramps that I'm blaming on my uterus contracting down. The human body is so weird.

@Lilbear: I don't really feel like he's gotten bigger when I look at him, but I definitely do when I pull him into my lap - he feels so heavy! He also suddenly seems more grown up to me.

@Alivoo01: I'm trying to figure out the daycare thing too. Our pre-baby schedule was to get B up at 6, and my husband would take him to daycare on his way to work. Since the baby came, though, he's been sleeping until 7 and I feel guilty about going back to waking him up an hour earlier, but I'm kind of terrified of the idea of trying to get him up, dressed, fed, and to daycare by myself with a newborn....

Weston is doing pretty well at night, except that he's sleeping on us in a recliner - we just take shifts with one person in the nursery and one in the bed. We tried him in the bassinet one night but it didn't go well - I'd nurse him, swaddle him, put him in the bassinet, and 5 minutes later he'd be crying. Not sure what to do - he doesn't seem to like having his arms swaddled. Maybe I need to hold him for longer after nursing him to make sure he's good and asleep before wrapping him up? Anybody have success getting their baby to sleep in their own space?

13. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

Hi ladies! I haven't posted because it's been so craZy getting used to life with a newborn AND a toddler. I swear the toddler is the hardest part of the equation! She loves her new sister so much , but it's constant fielding of "I want to hold her , I want to hold her" demands. And LO1 and I have bed shared her whole life (she's 2 years 8 months), so on the nights that she's woken up and found just DH in bed (with me downstairs with new baby) she has flipped the eff out. DH and I have taken turns on couch cause it's easier but with this intense attachment (it got worse after I went away a couple of nights to the hospital to have the baby) it has been rough. Last night DH brought the baby up to me at 3 am, she cluster fed until like 5 am, and I was finally able to set her down in basinette. (During h The day she sleeps like a champ in basinette. At night, she demands to be held. Gah!) anyway I went to pee downstairs at 6 and of course toddler woke up and flipped out when I wasn't there and woke up the baby. FML! That all settled down and we were all able to sleep more but this sucks !
    Oh and YES I agree - when I got home LO seemed like a 5 year old !!!

14. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@erinbaderin: one thing that's "worked" (kinda) is making sure she settles down for a good while after nursing before I try setting her back down. But sometimes I have to try like 2-3 times. I also make sure room is warm because to go from being held on a nice warm chest to being placed alone on a hard cold surface is pretty jarring. And sleep sheep white noise! But again I'm still also struggling with night sleep. Day time she sleeps all day through toddler screams etc!!

15. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

P.p.s.
    Sorry am on phone so it's hard to reply to each thread but my stitches are still kinda bothering me. And I feel like bleeding has gotten worse but then again I'm doing a lot around the house too - kinda impossible not to even with all the help with DH. Parenting a toddler is no joke !!

16. Lilbear

apricot / 451 posts

@MrsLilybugg: we are having a similar issue with the baby wanting to be held at night but swaddling him and putting him in the rock n play help a lot. We also have a flat bassinet which he sleeps in for half the night. Once the demanding to be held wee hours of the morning hit, he is back in the rock n play.

17. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@Lilbear: good idea! I'm
    Going to bring the snugabunny swing up to the bedroom tonight maybe that will help (the slight incline and swaying maybe )

18. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

Hey Ladies...I have posted a few times from my phone in the middle of the night and had my post eaten! So here goes again!

We are doing pretty good over here...Emmy is 3 weeks today! She had dropped to 6lbs 10oz (from 7lbs 5oz birth weight) on day 4 and was a bit jaundice. At here two week appointment (last Friday) she was 7lbs 14oz (YAY!) and all signs of jaundice gone...SCORE. I was so happy.

With K her weight gain was slow so Dr put me on a strict 2 hour cycle for feeding during the day which was stressful...I'm so thrilled to not have to be tied down to that schedule - though E seems to be eating every two hours strict now anyways!

She definitely is seeming chunkier these days. My mom commented yesterday she was bigger. Sleep is going ok for us...she does good during the day with some good alert times during the morning. Nights I seem to get one 3-4 hour stretch and then two 2.5 hour stretched between starts. So I feel pretty good.

K has done pretty well with the transition but its so hard for me. I hate not being able to give her more of my time. I see her from about 5:15-7pm each night and I usually end up having to feed E once in there. So its just such limited time. DH is exhausted (for realz?) from having to do morning drop offs each day...so I am hoping next week I will be able to do a few and help him out...

I'll post a few pics from my phone...lets see some more of those march babies!!!

19. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

Some pics of E!

20. Mrs. Cookie

blogger / persimmon / 1225 posts

@erinbaderin: beautiful newborn photo! I'm dying to see ours!

@Lilbear: I heard stitches dissolve after two weeks. My bleeding has been weird too this time. Lots of off and on bright red.

And yes my older son looks huge to me, lol!

21. Mrs. Cookie

@Mrs D: Aww so cute!!

22. Mrs. Cookie

I'm doing ok. Been struggling with having two kiddos and zero time for myself. Ds2 gives us one 3-4 hour chunk as well and the another two hour stint and then an hour after that feed it's usually time for my older son to wake up!

Trying not to wish away the newborn days even though it's tough. Can't believe my little guy will be 4 weeks on Thursday!

Oh and both boys have a running nose/small cold. Such a bummer for ds2 but I guess that's second child problems. Lol

23. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@MrsLilybugg: Bennett has asked to hold his baby brother twice but then every time we get him positioned and the baby touches him he freaks out and demands we take him away. And that's what I'm thinking, I'm going to have to hold him for a while after he falls asleep to make sure he's out before I try putting him down. Are you swaddling? Do you wait until they're really asleep before you wrap them up?

@Mrs D: Wow, that's a great weight gain! Weston is up to 7lb11oz as of today (15 days) and we were pretty happy about that. I'm with you about wishing you could spend more time with the toddler! Yesterday my husband brought B home and then said he was going to take him to the park and I was like "no, I never get to see him!" Let me know how your morning drop offs go! I'm going to start doing afternoon pickups next week when Jay goes back to work but I'm trying to figure out if it's feasible to also do mornings, because otherwise we have to wake B up at 6.

Things are going ok here - Weston had been giving us a 4-5 hour stretch at night (he was going from about 10-3, and then sleeping until 6) and it was great but for the last few days he's been waking up at 1:30 and 4, which is not as great. We got through the long weekend and I think balanced it pretty well, but we were lucky that the weather was nice and we could go outside. I'm trying to not beat myself up about how much tv we let him watch on the weekends, knowing that it will get better once it gets warmer and we can do more stuff. I'm also trying to not best myself up over the fact that I can't fit into any of my pants yet, it's only been 2 weeks!

Some pictures:

24. Alivoo01

@erinbaderin: I normally take DS to daycare around 6:30am also, but have been letting him sleep in till he wakes to take him. That's been going on for 4 months now since I was on modified bed rest and will be home for another 2 months. Should be interesting to see how things go when I do return to work.

In the meantime, getting out of the house with both kiddos is taking some time since I have to pump first and I never know what time DS wakes up or if one or both kids poop. That delayed us quite a bit one day when they both woke up at the same time wanting milk and pooping simultaneously also. lol

As for sleep, amazingly and oddly, DD doesn't like to be swaddled! We tried the first day and she was fighting it like crazy all night long. Next day, she was napping just fine unswaddled so we just went with it. She's still sleeping well unswaddled. Hoping I didn't just jinx it. DS had to be swaddled to sleep. She's also sleeping in the bassinet next to our bed.

25. Alivoo01

@MrsLilybugg: Ditto on the toddler co-sleeping and wanting to hold the baby all the time! Although, mine complains his sister is "too heavy" after a couple minutes. lol!!! The co-sleeping is getting more difficult because he's getting longer and always sleeps side ways OR wants to cuddle up against me. He's recently taken to wanting to share my pillow and blanket as well. What the heck?! and he definitely doesn't want to share with daddy. Sigh.

26. Alivoo01

@Mrs D: R sleeps great during the day and has shorter sleep cycles at night too! She eats the most during the day so I figured she'd sleep longer at night, but nope. At least she's letting me sleep in 3 hour stretches right now. For awhile, she had this few hour stretches of fussiness and it appears at her will. Sometimes in the evening (which is great) and sometimes in the wee hours of the morning (like 2/3am - oof!). We didn't have that stretch yesterday so I'm thankful!

E is adorable!! I'll post pics in a bit!

27. Alivoo01

@erinbaderin: I can't fit into my pants either! When I look in the mirror, I think I can/should be able to, but when I try, yea... no. Not even close! I still have quite a bit of weight to drop so it goes without saying, but guess I was trying to optimistic. Sigh. I've been wearing leggings or maternity jeans. So tired of those two though.

DH has been letting DS watch quite a bit of TV also. He's currently into the movie Cars and watches is every single night. I wish it didn't happen, but it's DH's crutch when he's too tired and I have to feed/deal with DD. Sigh.

The cuddle pictures are to die for. Too freaking adorable!

28. Alivoo01

Here are pics of DS and DD. The last 2 are from our newborn shoot.

29. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@Mrs D: oh those photos are so
    Precious! I'm
    Glad you've been getting done night stretches of sleep. Nights she still decides to cluster feed and by the time I finally get her down, I'm such a ball of stress that I can't fall asleep.

30. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@princessandthebee: it's so much harder than I imagined , doing the newborn thing with a toddler! I also feel like
    Once baby is asleep , my toddler wakes up . Gah!!

31. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@erinbaderin: thsts great that you've been getting stretches of sleep! I am still struggling st night ! Right now she's in the middle of a cluster feed / demanding I be her pacifier . I wish she took a binky but she hates them all! I've tried like
    4 different brands . Also no she hates being swaddled - as soon as I tried a swaddle at home she screeched until I set her free. During the day she sleeps great without it so i don't think that would be the trick for me at night. Your photos are so so cute !

32. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@Alivoo01: OMG yes on the sideways sleeping and sharing pillow!! It makes nursing soooo much harder cause i can't really reposition myself cause I'll crush toddler's head - Augh! Although now I place baby down, shift toddler, and they both seem to be ok with that .
    Your photos are
    So cute too -
    Love them!

33. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Alivoo01: Do you find it difficult getting them all up and ready on your own? I think part of my problem is that I don't like B to sit at the table and eat alone so I feel like somebody should sit with him, but when W wants milk there's only one of me! And your pictures are beautiful! We didn't get any sibling photos at our shoot because I was more concerned with getting some nice family shots. It was a good idea because B got pretty uncooperative pretty quickly, but I'm a bit sad that we don't have any cute photos of them together.

@MrsLilybugg: Weston has also started with s cluster feed stretch, from about 7-10 he just nurses, pulls off, cries, and nurses. It's frustrating! He'll take a pacifier occasionally, but not reliably enough that it's helpful.

We tried to get Weston sleeping in the bassinet last night - I nursed him to sleep, held him for 20 minutes, swaddled him, held him for another 20 minutes, and set him down suuuuuper slowly in his bassinet. He lasted 10 minutes before he started to cry. I guess we'll give him a few days and then try again.

34. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

Loving the pictures ladies!!! I'm biased but we have some super cute LOs...and I love the interactions with their older siblings!

@MrsLilybugg: E cant really get the hang of her paci either...she likes it and wants it but it just pops out...kinda really annoying!!! We're using MAM newborn ones...

@Alivoo01: Our fussiness is starting to be 6-9pm...if she isnt laying on my or DH's chest she is just not a happy camper!!! And - I tried on my pants too - not sure wtf I was thinking! I lost only 10lbs in the hospital this time...I have dropped another 10 since being home but still a LONG way to go

@erinbaderin: So I did the morning drop off once...but I left E home with DH. I basically nursed E at like 6:30-7:15am...laid her back down in the basinett...she settled. I went and got K up and dressed. I checked on E - and moved her into the rnp in the guest bed where DH is sleeping. I drove K to school and dropped her. It worked ok. I could put E in the car seat and take her with but it was pouring and I didnt want her out in that!

Sorry you are struggling with the bassinet sleeping. E fusses when I lay her down but eventually settles. She is quite the spitter upper...so her fussiness is usually bc she needs to get gas or spit up out. Trying to figure if she has reflux or not...its hard to tell if it hurts her because she fusses a bit around the time she spits up but she usually spits up and farts at the same time...so is it the spit up or the gas that is bothering her? Cant quite tell yet.

She did a 4 hour sleep and 3 hour sleep last night...amazing!

Unfortunately my right boob hurts like crazy...I cant feel a clogged duct or anything but holy pain. Hoping it goes away soon...

She is also getting cradle cap already I think...UGH! I hate it!

35. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

So I pumped today for the first time...feeling like a bit of a fail...

I pumped after our 9am feed and our 4pm feed...got 1oz and .75oz total respectively... only went for 5 mins each bc it seemed output had stopped by then...

Going to try to do my earlier morning feed tomorrow...

36. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@Mrs D: Augh I hear you o the pumping fail.baby seems to be getting milk when she nurses , I can see the milk etc. and she doesn't seem to be struggling . But when I pump I get like 2 oz total. Womp
    Womp
    And it's not like it's because baby drank it all either. Because I'll try when she is on a day sleep
    Stretch and I feel engorged.
    Sigh

37. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@Mrs D: Weston has the same problem with his paci - he likes it if I hold it in his mouth but his default reaction is to spit it out. And I've actually never dropped B off at school, which I kind of like because I think it would be hard, especially lately when he's gone back to crying when his daddy leaves. But I felt so bad waking him up at 6 this morning, especially when he tried to climb back into his crib when I turned away to get him clothes. If I was going to let him sleep in I'd have to take W with me for drop-off, though, because my husband would have already left for work.

I always had that problem with pumping too, it took me like 8 sessions to get enough milk to bother freezing. Do you think it's just that the baby drank all your milk, or did you not get a letdown? I've read stuff about changing flange sizes?

My husband went back to work today so it's my first day of real home alone mat leave. My goal is to have a shower and go to the store - we'll see. Still no luck with the bassinet but he slept from 9-2, 2:30-5:30, and he's been asleep since 6 so I'm reluctant to mess with our system....

38. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

Also, does anybody else find themselves staring at their babies and thinking "you were inside me!" W is asleep on my chest and it blows my mind that 3 weeks ago he was in a similar position but inside my body.

39. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

@MrsLilybugg: I've been getting .75-1.25oz when I pump for 5 mins after nursing E. I am anxious to see what I get when its in place of a nursing session!

@erinbaderin: This will be my struggle with daycare when I go back to work. I used to just take K to daycare at like 7 (right after her first morning nursing session) and get a jump on my work day. Now that K is sleeping until 7/730...I guess I'll be home with E for a little bit after she wakes up before taking her in to daycare?

How is it going with DH back at work? D went back to work right away so I am alone all day - I'd say I get a real shower in every couple days...usually just a quicky with no hair cleaning! I am starting to try to add in working out now...fingers crossed!

And yes - I totally do the whole "crap you were inside me?!" thing!

Trying our first bottle feed today...fingers crossed!!!

40. Mrs D

grapefruit / 4545 posts

E took the 2.25 oz no problem! YAY! I used preemie Dr Browns nipples...I pumped right after and got 2.5oz...feeling better.

For now I am just going to swap one feed each day with a bottle. At 2 mos I may move up to swapping 2. So happy to only pump once a day now - I hated pumping 3 times yesterday to get the 2.25oz!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee