Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2014 Moms-- Cravings and Aversions!

1. MRSHONEYBEAR

grape / 99 posts

I just devoured some tuna salad and saltines that I just HAD to make. I know, canned tuna is not supposed to be the best due to mercury content, but I've read conflicting information online. Most sources say 2 6oz servings per month (some say per week) of chunk light tuna are perfectly acceptable. Has anyone's doctor said otherwise? Frankly, in the moment it did NOT matter. I just had to have tuna salad on crackers. I even had to go to the store to get the items to make it since I haven't had it in at least 5 years! I've mostly been nibbling at the plainest of items so I think my body was screaming for protein. And yes, it was everything I dreamed it would be.

2. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

I made my husband a tuna sandwich for lunch tomorrow, I deserve wife of the year at this point, lol.

I hate tuna, I am the least pickiest person in the world, but probably one thing I hate most is tuna! I am like gagging through it, now it's all I can smell! He's been away 5 days, flight is late tonight, so I am making sure he's set to head out for work (he is a university hockey coach and been away with team) but has his "real" job to go to tomorrow, so I felt bad for him.

Ew!!!

I had a big craving for McDonald's today, but I resisted!

3. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@MRSHONEYBEAR: glad you ate something that sounded good to you! I couldn't think of anything today I wanted to eat and it was a bummer. I ended up with egg sandwiches for both breakfast and dinner because protein + bland = happy stomach haha.

My main issue right now is water. I am usually really good at chugging it but the last day or so I just haven't wanted it. It tastes weird to me even though I know it tastes like nothing. I really want to drink something with FLAVOR. Maybe something carbonated. But all the things with flavor and/or carbonation that I like have loads o' sugar so I had about 1/3 glass of gatorade and now I'm forcing myself to drink the plain boring water

4. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Mae: try squeezing a lime into it for flavour.

5. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@Glitter: I'm one of those weird people who hates lemon and/or lime (and/or anything) in my water. I can't even do like, a single slice of lemon in a restaurant.

6. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

@Mae: I'm totally with you on not knowing what I want to eat, not knowing if I'm hungry or not, etc. And I'm having the same problem with finding anything I want to drink. Right now I'm having apple juice, which I NEVER drink, because it's the only thing that seemed appetizing. I'm a huge club soda/sparkling water fiend...and even the thought of that makes me gag.

@MRSHONEYBEAR: tuna sandwhiches is totally one of the only things I was craving this weekend. I caved and had half a sandwhich yesterday, and made one for my lunch today (just to finish the can). But I will try not to have any more for a while.

@Beebug: You are way stronger than I am...I totally had mcdonalds on friday night hahaha. It's so sad that the ONLY foods I want to eat are super unhealthy. It was like this last pregnancy too. Anything healthy just seems so gross to me. My poor DH is trying to eat really healthy because he just started running and has a race coming up. I'm not a good influence these days!

7. mrsog

apricot / 388 posts

I just had a fabulous lunch of a buttered bagel and ginger ale. Now if that doesn't say upset stomach I don't know what does! uuugh

8. skipra

pomegranate / 3350 posts

@Mae: I agree. I am usually really good about water but it just sits in my stomach like a rock. I NEVER drink soda but I've had 3 cokes in the past couple weeks. And I'm still working on those juice boxes from DS's birthday party.

@cookie_dough: I can only stomach unhealthy things too. I just keep telling myself that it will get better soon and I'll make up for it then and only eat super healthy stuff.

@MRSHONEYBEAR: @Beebug: I have no idea how you guys could stomach the smell of tuna.

9. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

So in theory I'm excited, but actually not sure how dinner is going to go tonight. DH flew from East Coast last night and brought fresh lobster home with him. I LOVE lobster, like kid on Christmas morning excited over lobster, but I just opened the fridge for something and smelled it....bleh!!!!!

Man I hope I can handle it!

As for the water stuff, what about changing how you drink it? DH called the cup I used my sippy cup, screw on lids with a straw and as long as I keep it out I drink water like craaazy. If in a cup/glass or even bottle I don't drink near as much! I neeeed to get better again, I was a crazy water drinker when breastfeeding, but usually am not a water drinker at all.

10. MRSHONEYBEAR

grape / 99 posts

@skipra @beebug: I don't know how I could stomach the smell of tuna either! I'm actually a little freaked that my food aversions have seemingly disappeared. And almost no m/s today. I'm only 8w1d. That's too early to be magically cured, right? I've been googling "when does ms end" all morning, sending myself down a dark rabbit hole. I have a dr appt Friday so hoping they'll say all is good and I'm just a lucky one.

@COOKIE_DOUGH: I'm glad I'm not the only one! It tasted soooo good, right?

11. MRSHONEYBEAR

grape / 99 posts

@mrsog: that sounds perfectly plain and amazing. Wish you could stomach more. Fingers crossed for soon!

12. MRSHONEYBEAR

grape / 99 posts

@Beebug: OMG, lobster & butter sound freaking delicious. You've got a sweet DH, depending on how you feel by this evening. I hope you're able to enjoy!

13. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

@MRSHONEYBEAR: Hahaha it did taste soooo good! but now the thought of it is grossing me out. Darn. There goes another food And I wouldn't worry about the nausea coming and going. With DD I would feel so sick and then have a day or two where I felt great (and I would get super worried and start googling too hahaha). It always came back though!

14. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

I'm planning on eating pancakes yet again for dinner. Getting pretty excited for my super nutritious meal

15. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@MRSHONEYBEAR: lol doesn't it! In my head it is delish and amazing, I just hope I think that way when it's in front of me!!

DH is from the east coast and I had never had lobster until I met him, oh man the love I have for seafood, just maybe not when pg.

16. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

I was craving a bowl of soup.. so I drove thirty minutes in traffic to get it. Got it. It was awesome. Then crazy nausea hit that left me lying flat on the bathroom floor at work waiting for it to go away.... woke up and realised that I had just slept for almost 30 minutes.

17. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@cookie_dough: i made waffles for lunch.... lol

18. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

@Glitter: Haha oh no!! No one found you in there? I've considered lying under my desk many times in the last few weeks and taking a nap. I really don't think anyone would see me if they walked by my office...

@Mae: sounds delicious Well...sort of...it would have yesterday. But now I'm down to a cereal diet. that's it. i really don't think there is anything else left I can eat. Not even pancakes

19. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@cookie_dough: aw I'm having a rough morning too. The last few mornings I've felt pretty good but this morning I was doing the "walk-walk-walk-stop so I can breath and not puke" thing. I ate a cliff bar and I'm hoping that will settle my stomach

20. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

Okay is anyone else finding they get the most RANDOM cravings for things they haven't had in years? Suddenly the idea of this particular pasta dish from a restaurant we haven't been to in probably 7-8 years just popped in my head and my mouth is seriously watering thinking about it. Like so much so that I would probably go get it for lunch right now if it wasn't allllll the way on the other side of town (like prob at least an hour+ round trip).

21. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

@Mae: Occasionally I will have something random pop into my head and think "hmmm...maybe I could eat that". Like I just had a toasted tomato and cheese sandwhich pop into my head. I think I will try having that for dinner. But I haven't had anything quite as obscure as a pasta dish from 7 years ago pop into my head hahaha. Although earlier I was thinking of cheese and cucumber sandwhiches, which I normally would not enjoy at all...I kind of want one!

22. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@cookie_dough: Is it a co-incidence that Monopoly is back now? Haha....oh what a tease! I was in my last month of pregnancy this time last year and went to McDonalds pretty much every morning (I was bored waiting for baby, off work already so would go read the paper and have my meal, LOL) and was convinced I was going to win Monopoly

I got a Happy Meal this aft, I couldn't resist!!

@Glitter: lol omg about on the floor and falling asleep! I'm sort of laughing, but more omg, ha! Glad the soup was good!!

For the record, lobster was UNREAL last night, I enjoyed every bit of it, yummmm!!!

23. tarabonno

cherry / 228 posts

You guys are cracking me up. I"m with you on all of these things! I've had two INTENSE waves of nausea hit in the past week and last about an hour. Hoping that it doesn't get worse than that. I'm eating fairly normal except only able to eat things that sound good in the moment, which is never anything healthy.

I am dying for poptarts. Is that weird?? I think I'm going to stop on my way home tonight and just give in. Eating poptarts has to be better than eating nothing, right??

24. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

@Beebug: mcdonalds monopoly time is a dangerous time in our household...pregnant or not hahaha

25. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@tarabonno: lol i think the rule right now is eat what you can! It's funny because I've really just been eating whatever sounds good to me, which is not always the healthiest thing (Um... I may have had 4 pieces of bread with olive oil as my dinner last night). And yet I'm still losing weight. Pregnancy is weird.

26. whodat

apricot / 365 posts

Y'all. Does anyone go on Pinterest? I just can't lately. I follow all these food pinners, Bon Appetit and the like, and my feed is full of pictures of all the foods that completely gross me out. Like, white bean and kale soup! Chicken sweet potato curry! Blerg. It used to be my little workday break where I could go learn new recipes, but now everything is so so gross to me.

Also, helpful hint. The past two nights instead of eating with the kids at like 6:00, I've been having a little snack and then after they go to bed, at 8:00, I'll have my dinner (ramen noodles ftw). Both mornings I've woken up nauseous but I have not vomited, and no horrendous dry-heaving first thing in the morning.

(and by "little snack" I mean a whole bag of M&Ms and some chips and salsa)

27. HabesBabe

grapefruit / 4400 posts

@Apex: how did I miss that you're having quads?! congrats!!

I had a huge craving for cinnamon rolls last night so I went to the market and got the Pillsbury canned ones... not bad, but they didn't hit the spot. Whomp whomp.

I am not feeling salads right now, either, and I think I might have pregnancy lactose intolerance...? I have bad tummy aches after eating any dairy.

28. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

I hate to admit that I have become that woman who sends her husband to the service station at 11:30 pm to get butter. Poor guy.

29. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

@Glitter: Haha, does that mean that he no longer thinks that pregnancy cravings are a myth?

I was sooooo bad yesterday. I ended up eating a foot long sub for lunch (roasted chicken, not cold cuts), and HALF of a large pizza for dinner. Terrible! I still don't have much of an appetite, and most food is revolting to me, but for some reason yesterday those two things were super appealing to me. And last night I dreamt of tacos...now I really want tacos!

30. Glitter

persimmon / 1281 posts

@cookie_dough: lol he's coming around. I had a horrible day dealing with nausea yesterday and he was home with me so I think he was desperate to do anything that would make me feel better.

I envy you. I wish I could eat anything that doesn't leave me feeling ill. It's another crackers and ginger ale day for me.

31. cookie_dough

kiwi / 619 posts

@Glitter: It's so weird how much it fluctuates for me. Right now I don't want anything and I feel really nauseous. But then other times I can pig out. I really can't think of what to have for lunch. I know I should eat something, but nothing sounds appetizing.

32. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

Latest obsession: Trader Joe's Blueberry Frozen Waffles.

Nom.

33. mrsog

apricot / 388 posts

this is a weird one.. last night I was laying in bed and I really wanted to suck on a lemon. I didn't have any lemons tho so DH recommended I squirt lemon juice from the bottle into my mouth lol I didn't do it but this morning I am having tea with lemon in it so hopefully that will do it.

34. HayleyJane

olive / 52 posts

New craving from the last few weeks: cucumbers. I could eat a cucumber a day.

35. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@HayleyJane: That sounds weirdly good. and healthy! Maybe I'll buy a cucumber this weekend when I hit the store.

My current obsessions: Pretzels (I'm on my second bag this week) and Mint Truffle Hershey's Kisses (luckily only about a half bag in for the week).

36. HabesBabe

grapefruit / 4400 posts

I want brussel sprouts like WHOA!

37. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

So my latest weird food thing: I have gotten SUPER picky about water. Water is basically all that I drink (I coke but I try not to drink it) and I've always been somewhat picky about it. I have my fav brands and I can't do filtered water at home because I can always taste something icky.

At restaurants though, since I was only really drinking with food, I could deal and almost always drink the water. Well the last 3 times we went to eat I couldn't handle the water. It had a weird smell or taste and I'm sure it is just me being more sensitive to tap water than usual. But it was so bad I literally couldn't stomach it. Which meant my only other option was coke. Which sucks because 1) missed opportunity to drink a glass or two of water and 2) all that damn sugar in the coke!

Boooooooo.

38. mrsog

apricot / 388 posts

@Mae: do you drink seltzer? whenever I am out I opt for seltzer or club soda with a lime bc its practically water but not as boring. I drink it a lot at home too.

39. Mae

papaya / 10343 posts

@mrsog: Nope don't like it. Any sort of sparkling water grosses me out because it tastes to me like it should be pop but isn't haha

40. mrsog

apricot / 388 posts

@Mae: a lot of people say that! I grew up drinking it so its easy for me. I was never a soda drinker.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee