Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

May 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

Last night I got one hour of sleep before the baby woke up at midnight and then was full on AWAKE and refused to go back down until 5am and that was only in my arms, laying in our bed, with my boob right next to his face. And then I had to wake him for the day at 730am. This is like my 3rd or 4th night of this. WHAT THE HELL.

2. Autumnmama79

pear / 1703 posts

@gingerbebe: that doesn't sound like fun. Does baby sleep much during the day?

3. sslm

cantaloupe / 6397 posts

@gingerbebe: that sounds awful

4. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@gingerbebe: that's rough. Hope things improve for you soon.

Had our 1 month appt today and she's up to 8lbs 3oz - up from 6-2 on May 31 and 5-15 at birth

5. My Only Sunshine

persimmon / 1129 posts

@tinyperson: She gained two pounds in 3 weeks?? That's impressive!

6. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@My Only Sunshine: I know - DH and I were floored!

7. Autumnmama79

pear / 1703 posts

@tinyperson: that means you're doing a great job mama! Keep up the good work

8. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

I've been wanting to respond for like two weeks now but man I forgot how time consuming this baby thing is. At our appt last week she was 11 lbs, so awesome. She's six weeks and about to outgrow our NB diapers. Sleep wise we had a few crazy days- not sure if it was a growth spurt or wonder week. Now the daytime is a crapshoot because we can't put her down really but at night we've gotten a few longer stretches here and there so that's all I really care about. Oh and the best is that I'm getting baby smiles!

@Autumnmama79: I loved your gushy post! So sweet. I felt the same about my second one. This time it's different like I have moments where I feel so lucky but then other times I'm so busy with just keeping us all fed and clothed that I have no extra space in my mind.

@tinyperson: That's amazing!

@gingerbebe: Hope yesterday was a little better!

9. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@gingerbebe: I hope things get better for you soon!

@Baby Boy Mom: baby smiles are the best! And great weight gain! Glad to hear things are going well

As for us, we're still in the throes of Wonder Week 8 but things are getting a little better. We've actually been able to put DD down for naps yesterday and today (instead of in our arms or the Ergo) though she started sleeping a little less at night... We were getting a good 5 hour stretch at the beginning of the night and now it's about 3 hours. I'm hoping that we'll be back to normal when this week is over! I can't complain too much though because it's so amazing to see her smile and coo at us!!!

10. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

Last night was more of the same but we booted him out to the PNP in the guest room (he had been sleeping in a bassinet in my walk in closet). That way I at least got to doze for 15-20 minutes between putting him down and actual crying instead of listening to him fuss and escalate.

Had my PP appointment today. Csection scar has healed nicely, I'm cleared for everything, no concern about PPD/PPA yet and I'm down all of my pregnancy weight plus an extra 5 pounds. (But I was 10-15 pounds overweight when I got pregnant so not a net win yet).

I got a nap in this morning, the housecleaners came, and I got to spend some time with my toddler tonight so overall not a terrible Monday although it would be marvelous if we could go back to our regular newborn sleep patterns. Two feedings a night I can totally do, but these 7 hour MOTN parties have got to stop.

Here's at least some fun photos from today:

11. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

@gingerbebe: they say sleep deprivation is a form of torture and I think we can all attest to that... So sorry to hear you're getting the worst if it, but glad to hear you had a better day today. What a beautiful family, I love those photos!

@csross217: your posts always sound so familiar! Baby J had a few nights of 5-6 hour stretches but just woke me up after only 3. Yawn. He is also hard to get to nap during the day unless in the carrier or car seat (in the stroller for a walk or riding in the car) but yesterday I had some success swaddling, swaying and sushing then putting him in the rnp with white noise. My brother was in town and tried his patented "bouncy ice skating" move that had DS out in seconds!

12. gingerbebe

cantaloupe / 6131 posts

Well, we're going on a week of this nighttime nonsense. DS sleeps well during the day (especially in the morning when I can hardly get him to nurse efficiently because he's so sleepy) because he's up screaming all night long. I *HOPE* this is just a Wonder Week issue and that we're nearing the end because I'm beyond exhausted. The glimmer of hope I have is that the last 2 nights, instead of being awake and fussy from midnight to 5am, its been more like 130am to 430am? And one night instead of having one long fussy block, he wanted to feed every 2 hours - so still only 1 hour stretches of sleep in between for mama, but at least not holding a fussy baby for hours on end?

Another annoying part of this fussy phase is that he's nursing for shorter periods and so my boobs don't feel like they're fully emptied after feedings. That worries me since we're due for the 6 week growth spurt next week, but I'm so tired its hard to motivate myself to pump after every feeding.

Currently covered in spit up. Must shower.

13. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@YogiRunner: My DD absolutely hates the car seat! From the minute we strap her in until we take her out, she screams. It's awful that she won't nap in the car! Still struggling with barely 30 min naps during the day here too...

@gingerbebe: growth spurts and wonder weeks are a special kind of hell.... i so hope you get some relief soon! Still going through wonder week 8 here and DD barely naps for 30 min at a time and fusses constantly while she's awake. It's really wearing on me

14. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

@csross217: oh that sounds rough! Does she eventually fall asleep in the car? We've mostly relied on wearing him for daytime naps. He hates it for 5 min then is out like a light for usually 45 min.

Question for the group: if your baby had a temporal temp of 99 and felt a little warm, would you be concerned? he was really fussy in the car after a long day visiting family but calmed down when I held him and doesn't seem dehydrated...

15. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

DD had her 2 month checkup today! She's gained almost 5 pounds and 2.5 inches. The immunizations were so bad though. I think I cried more than she did She's fussy this afternoon and just wants wants to nap and snuggle. She felt a little warm and her legs seem sore so I gave her some infant Tylenol which seems to have helped.

Other than that we seem to be coming out of the Wonder Week and are getting back to normal. We're still struggling to put her down for naps though. She'll nap for 2 hours if we're holding her, but wakes up within 15 minutes if we try to put her down. I've tried swaddling, swing, white noise, blackout curtains, etc. and nothing seems to be working!

How is everyone doing?

16. Autumnmama79

pear / 1703 posts

@csross217: we're doing good! Not looking forward to the shots next week that's for sure. Baby is doing great, also prefers to be held for naps but he'll sometimes take a good one in his basinette too. Also in the car or in the stroller we get some pretty epic naps.

Really doing lots of cooing now which I love

17. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

This board has been quiet lately! How is everyone doing?

@autumnmama79: I am obsessed with this baby's smiling and cooing! Soooo cute.

18. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@YogiRunner: we're doing well - this girl is a fussy mess from 4-10 and will not sleep more than few minutes. Then she conks out and sleeps amazingly the rest of the night. She slept a just over 5 hr stretch last night. But man the evenings are hard.

19. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@YogiRunner: Doing pretty good! Baby Girl interacts with us so much more and is so smiley and happy most of the time. We're still struggling with short naps during the day unless she's on one of us, but we try to put her down in her swing for 1 nap a day. It only lasts about 20-30 min though and then she's a cranky, overtired mess...

@tinyperson: Evenings are rough! Our fussy time is about 5-8 or 9 when she falls asleep. Some night she'll be out for almost 6 hours, and other nights it's only 3. But she's a very good night sleeper overall and is rarely awake longer than it takes her to eat.

I can't believe my maternity leave is almost over back to work in less than 2 weeks.... what is everyone doing for childcare? DH works 12's and has 2 or 3 days off during the week so he'll be doing most of the baby watching with my mom filling in for the rest. I can also work from home occasionally so I'll be doing that as well.

20. rockinghorse

cherry / 215 posts

@csross217: We aren't needing daycare either between my hubby and the 2 grandmas. It is such a relief!

Next week is my last part time week before I start back full time, and it will by crazy! I think I will definitely need to start meal prepping or all we will be eating is cereal.

Also, sleep is still kinda a joke. The longest stretch I get at night is 3 hours, and half the time I'm too tired to put her back in her bassinet so we co-sleep, which lately wakes me up from her kicking and squirming all the time. Ahhh well, this too shall pass.

21. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

@csross217: we have pretty much the same sleep sitch: mostly crappy naps unless he's in the carrier, fussy in the evening (right when DH gets home, poor guy), and usually a good sleeper at night. The smiles and coos absolutely melt my heart! His new thing is when I'm holding him and we look in the mirror, he gives a giant smile and happily burrows his head in my chest. I can't even

ETA: daycare starts in a few weeks when I'll go back to work part time. I'm nervous...

22. My Only Sunshine

persimmon / 1129 posts

@csross217: I start back in 4 weeks. I feel like the time has flown by! I work 3 days a week. DS will be with my in laws two days and at a daycare center one day. I'm a little worried one day a week is so infrequent that he'll never get used to going to daycare.

DS is a bruiser. At 7 weeks he's in 6 month clothes!

Naps are good but night sleep is making me crazy. He's starting to move toward early bedtime, like 6:30 or 7. He goes down fine and sleeps like 4 or 5 hours. When he wakes up to eat during the night, he's up forever! Sometimes he'll fall asleep eating and stay asleep, but if he doesn't or he wakes back up we have the worst time getting him to fall back asleep! We just last night started putting him down and letting him try to fall asleep on his own with limited success (worked one time, he ended up crying the other two times). Still, I think that's what we'll have to end up doing because he is not soothed by us walking him around, bouncing, etc.

23. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

Baby E slept in the PnP last night for the first time! She has been in the swing (not turned on) since we brought her home and sleeping so well that I was worried to try anything else. We made a little nest with a beach towels under the PnP sheet and propped up one side a bit and she slept for 5.5 hours!

@YogiRunner: So sweet!

@rockinghorse: OMG yes to meal planning.... we still have a few freezer meals that I made before baby came but I definitely need to restock everything. I'd be happy eating cereal every night but I don't think DH would like that very much lol.

@My Only Sunshine: Good luck with drowsy but awake! We try to do it for naps and it works sometimes (even though she wakes up 30 min later) but I still nurse DD to sleep every night and after wakeups....

24. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

We are the same as a lot of you- crappy naps during the day unless we hold her...so we hold her a lot. We've also gotten some decent stroller naps. The car, however, is a recipe for a screaming baby. She's ok on the highway but as soon as we stop it's all over, and living in the city we stop a lot. At night we've been getting a decent stretch from 9 or 10 until 2 or 3. Then back to every couple hours.
    Our biggest struggle is that I've been tinkering with my diet because something is making her break out- I was already doing the MSPI diet but there's something else so I decided to be a crazy person and try to go back on the whole 30 diet for at least a week or two to see if it helps. I'm on day 4 and she does seem a little better so we'll see how it goes.

@csross217: awesome on the PnP sleep! We keep trying and no dice so we're cosleeping..

25. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: same with the car fussiness. If we hit traffic or red lights it's all over. Makes me hate traffic jams 10x more than I ever did!

@csross217: that's great! Good job Baby E!

I'm slightly worried about his naps at daycare since he is relying on the carrier to sleep, or the boob plus the rnp. I feel a little scared to try naps in the crib, not sure where to start. But last night he went to bed drowsy but awake and fell asleep on his own! Took him about 20 min but I was so proud!

ETA: when I asked the pediatrician at his 2 month appointment about eventually getting into a sleep "schedule" (notice the quotes!) she basically said not to expect a real schedule for another few months, but that alphamom.com is a good resource. Thought I'd pass it along!

26. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

I'm "solo" parenting this week at my parents...DH is coming back to get us next weekend. My mom has fibromyalgia so takes a lot of naps and needs to rest and dad has a project over the next 3-4 weeks (he's a contractor on railway projects). So I have help, but not all the time or exactly when I need it. At least DD1 is going to sleep in mom and dads room so they can get her going with breakfast in the morning while I deal with baby! Should be interesting!

27. ModernDayJibarita

apricot / 259 posts

We have the opposite problem with Enzo. He's an awesome napper (normally takes 2 or 3 2.5-3 hr naps) but his night sleep sucks. We transitioned him to his crib/room at 6 weeks when I discovered he sleeps so much better there (the room is warmer and small enough for the humidifier to be effective)

He's 7 weeks, around 13 lbs and starting to use 3-6 month clothes. He's cooing, babbling and making tons of noise.

28. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: @YogiRunner: I'm glad I'm not the only one with a car-hating baby! She doesn't mind just sitting in her carseat, but the minute we put the straps on she starts screaming. About 25% of the time she'll only fuss for 5-10 minutes and then fall asleep, but the rest of the time she screams at the top of her lungs until we get to wherever we're going. And heaven forbid we have to stop at a stoplight....

@tinyperson: Good luck! I struggle with DH working 12 hour shifts... I couldn't imagine having him gone for a week!

@ModernDayJibarita: What a cutie!!! The look on his face totally matches his onesie

So today I'm going to try "wake to sleep." I read about it in the Baby Whisperer book. During her nap, I'm going to go in about 5 minutes before her normal wake up time (usually 30 min) and jostle her just a bit. It's supposed to wake her up just enough that she transitions to her next sleep cycle without her waking fully, which is what I think is happening.... we'll see how it goes! I figure worst case scenario her nap will be 5 minutes shorter than normal lol.

29. rockinghorse

cherry / 215 posts

@csross217: how do you like that book? i'm getting to my wits end with her sleeping hardly anything, and i'm looking at ft work next week. about to have an anxiety attack over here!

30. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@rockinghorse: I really liked it! It has some good tips for naps and nighttime sleep.

Speaking of naps, this is the second day in a row that Baby E has taken a really good nap without being held! Yesterday it was 1.25 hours and today it's been 2 hours and she's just stirring now. The only thing we've done differently is wait in the room through her normal 15 minute wake time and shush/pat if she starts wiggling. Fingers crossed that this is the new normal and not just a fluke!

31. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

@tinyperson: How was your week?

@ModernDayJibarita: Love that pic!

@csross217: That's great! Hopefully she keeps it up!

So...DH convinced me to stop the whole 30, and that was good because my supply was suffering but literally within one day of eating normally it was back up. Also, it wasn't making a difference with baby's rash...so back to the drawing board.

32. My Only Sunshine

persimmon / 1129 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: I'm glad your supply recovered so quickly! What kind of rash is your LO getting? My daughter has eczema and gets a rash from some kinds of soap and from scented laundry detergent. Hope you get it figured out! A couple times a year something random will make it flare up and it makes me crazy trying to narrow down the cause.

DS is 9 weeks! Hard to believe. He had two awesome nights of sleep in a row. For the longest time he's been waking every 2-3 hours at night but he did a 5 hour stretch the last two nights. It felt amazing! He has his 2 month checkup tomorrow. I'm pretty sure we're going to end up getting referred for PT because he has mild torticollis that isn't really improving with our home attempts at treatment.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

33. HazelEyes

clementine / 811 posts

So we are having a lot of the same as you all-- decent night sleeps and napping only when held or in the moby. She is getting better with the carseat, and will sleep most of the time we're driving, but also wakes as soon as we stop.

Her smiles are getting more frequent, and she is "talking" more with me. I love having whole conversations with her in oohs and aahs

We had our two month last Friday, M is long and lean- 64th percentile in weight but 94th in height. I was thinking that her 3 month clothes were getting small already!

Crazy how different my kids are, J was 10lbs 1oz at his 2 month and she's 11lbs 13oz!

M still vehemently refuses the paci. Spits it out and gags. The ped said that can be common at first in kids with some reflux. Interesting. I can hear her spit up and swallow it, so maybe there is some truth to that. (Thank goodness she doesn't spit it out like my son did. We were covered in spit up for a good 4 months.)

34. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: the week went pretty well! We had lots of excursions planned with friends so we were kept on the go. I was glad to see DH for bedtime Friday night!

Just had 2 month shots today. So sad (but happy she's protected!) She's been sleeping most of the afternoon since and DD1 has been watching tv. She's up another 2 lbs since her last appt. 22nd percentile or so for both height and weight.

35. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

@My Only Sunshine: It looks like baby acne, tiny little raised bumps, but I know it's a food reaction because my other LOs had food sensitivities that presented the same way. The good news is that I got it to clear up (eliminated all nuts/seeds/legumes for a few days). So now I'm just going to trial one thing at a time. It's slow, but totally worth it to figure out issues before they start solids. My son that gets eczema gets it from dairy and wheat, and that took for.ev.er. to figure out because it's a cumulative thing and then takes even longer to clear up. I know he's also sensitive to environmental stuff like soaps, disposable diapers etc, but at this point our household is all "natural" products so we haven't had issues in a long time.

@tinyperson: awesome!

36. rockinghorse

cherry / 215 posts

OK ladies, how old is your LO now, how is sleeping going, and what is their bedtime?

37. My Only Sunshine

persimmon / 1129 posts

@rockinghorse: DS is 10.5 weeks. Bedtime goes fine most of the time. I take him up to his room between 6 and 6:30, change him into PJs, nurse him, and put him down. He's some kind of unicorn baby who can put himself to sleep if I put him in his crib awake (my first baby never did that until we sleep trained her at like 6 months). He makes up for going down easily by still waking up 3 times in the night to eat.

My kids are definite morning people so bedtime is crazy early but I like a little grown-up time in the evening so I just go with it.

How's it going for you?

38. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

LO is 12 weeks, and sleep at night is going well! His bed time is 9-9:30. We also have our routine of bath or diaper change, pj's, books and bed. He falls asleep on his own then sleeps for 6 hours which is great. During the day is a different story... He still only sleeps well while in the stroller, car or on me. But we are trying the crib 1x/day. He falls asleep easily enough, he's just up 20-30 min later.

I'm also trying to get him to sleep overnight in his own room next week. He'll be fine, but not sure about his mama. I love having him next to me!

39. rockinghorse

cherry / 215 posts

@YogiRunner: it was hard for me to transition dd into her crib too, but there was no way it would work with me going back to work

Dd is 13 weeks now, and we aim for bed time between 7 and 8 for bed time. She falls asleep pretty well, but wakes up a few times because she can't get her paci back in, and usually needs to eat 2-3 times. I'm hoping she can start getting her wubanub back in on her own soon so at least those wake ups will go away.

40. csross217

kiwi / 554 posts

@rockinghorse: DD will be 14 weeks tomorrow and sleep isn't so great right now... we started trying to do an earlier bedtime because she always seems to want to "nap" at 7:30, but if we try to put her upstairs she's suddenly wide awake! We've given up for now so she usually naps on DH on the couch until 8:30ish and we take her up to bed around 9. She's still in our room and our routine is pretty short - change diaper, pj's, nurse while singing a song, then DH rocks her a bit before putting her down in her PnP. Usually sleeps until 8:30am or so.

"Drowsy but awake" is working well at naptime but in the last week or so she's had a much harder time falling asleep at night and is up every 2.5-3 hours to eat (instead of a 5-6 hour stretch like before). I think we might be hitting the 4 month sleep regression a little early?? Anyway, it's making for an exhausted mama. We've started some gentle sleep training techniques so hopefully we can get that long stretch back...

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee