I wrote this out a while ago for myself and tried to edit it down for HB because it's LONG (like REALLY LONG) but I am afraid that will never happen so here we go...

For a few weeks, I had been told I should be induced before my due date because my son was nearly 10 lbs when he was born on his due date. I also had a really long and rough birth with him that I didnt really want to repeat. I wrote about that here http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/insights-on-a-39w-induction-after-a-sucky-1st-induction. I had finally been given the induction date of 39w4d at 7am, but a bed wasn't available until 3pm and the induction didn't actually begin until 7pm.

After reading a lot of induction experiences on here and taking my first induction into account, the following was on my birth plan: no manual breaking of my water, one induction intervention at a time, OB preference (the same OB who8 delivered my son and not the one who breaks everyone's waters in the morning no matter where they are in the labor process,) and a fully functioning epidural unlike the one with my first.

I started off at 1.5 cm and 60% effaced. I was given cytotec which produced contractions right from the start, but they were right on top of each other and baby girl's hb rapidly decelerated, and within seconds I was being turned on my side, given oxygen, and a shot to calm my uterus. My husband had just stepped out to get dinner and I was FREAKED out. In the middle of the night, I was allowed to walk the halls of the hospital. I was given Stadol and Ambien for sleep *Cue the craziest dreams of my life* because they wanted cytotec to get out of my system. During one of my cervical checks, the nurses were shocked to find that even though I wasn't very far dilated, my cervix was very forward as though I was in active labor which made them think it would go fast once I was in labor. I had my doubts.

Around 7 am, I was at a 3-4 cm and they mentioned something about "bulgy waters," so before we started the pit, we went for another walk. They started it off very low, hoping it would kick start labor. It produced contractions, but they weren't very strong or consistent, so my nurse continued to increase the amount of pit. I was debating when to get the epidural because I wanted it to be the right time.

 At 12:30 pm, I stood up to walk the room and my husband and I heard a loud pop and my water broke. He called the nurse in and I was at 5-6 cm.  From there, the intensity of my contractions shot through the roof and I was eventually begging for an epidural. The L&D anesthesiologist was called into am emergency csection and they said it would be an hour. I was panicked because the contractions were awful and it wasn't how I wanted things to go. I asked if there was anything they could give me and they said the only option was more stadol so I said "yes" enthusiastically. Although I was out of my mind loopy, I realized the pain was just as bad and asked the nurse why it wasn't working. She said that Stadol does nothing for pain at this point in labor, but it makes you not care. I told her it was a dirty trick. She agreed. I started feeling like I needed to make a BM and thought the timing was really inconvenient.

The nurses finally tracked down the head anesthesiologist of the hospital  (who was not thrilled about doing an epidural.) As he and his intern were getting things ready, I started feeling like I needed to push, but thought it was ridiculous because I was only at a six. I told the nurse I felt like I needed to use the restroom and she checked me and I was at an 8. She said she was sorry that it took so long but at least I could have the epidural for the end. Once the anesthesiologist was ready, I felt like I needed to push but was holding it in because I wanted the epidural. The anesthesiologist had me move on the bed (I was NOT happy) and I felt like the baby was coming. I told the nurse this, she checked me, turned to the anesthesiologist and said, "sorry to waste your time doc, but she's complete."

According to my husband, the following happened in less than 10 minutes. My nurse quickly realized that the baby was crowning and asked the anesthesiologist if he was ready to deliver a baby, so he started getting ready. They tracked down the OB on duty who I had previously requested not deliver the baby and asked if he could do it and I yelled "ANY OB!!" I started pushing and my nurse told me to stop, but I couldn't help it.

My husband said that things got intense really fast as the NICU team wasn't ready and my bed hadn't been converted for delivery yet. I screamed like a banshee and was told to stop and make low sounds and that I could push. As the OB I didn't care for walked in, the OB I really wanted and (who delivered my son) walked in, excused the other OB,  and the nurses started draping stuff on her as she was walking over to me.

Before her bottom even hit the seat, Violet was out all in one push at 2:06 pm. It happened so fast that a wave of fluid came out. My husband said he can't "unhear" that sound.  She weighed 9lbs 3oz and measured at 19 inches and was born screaming after a total of 5 pushes total (vs 3 hours with my son.) They asked me if I wanted to hold her, but I was in so much shock by how fast everything happened (1.5 hours of true labor) that I needed a moment. I tore really badly because things happened so fast and it took quite a while to be sewn up. Apparently, I had the largest placenta the OB had ever seen. Just a funny aside, at one point, I felt like the OB was sewing a little too south and I told her "don't sew up my butt!" she laughed and said, "I am looking at your butt right now, and I am nowhere near your butt." Within minutes of being in the mom and baby wing, the shock had worn off, and I had fallen in love.