Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

New Year, New Babes - January 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@oliviaoblivia: Same here! I try to take her everywhere with me since she's so easy to travel. So glad you guys are getting out so big sister can avoid cabin fever. You're amazing getting that all done with a real winter!

@HappyBaker: Hope your oldest feels better soon!

@Espion: OMG so glad you're ok!

@MapleMoose: I know! I can't turn doorknobs and it's super frustrating. I tried to wear the brace last night but even with it loose, the swelling was awful so I just gave in and took a Motrin so I could deal with A overnight. I think all outings count in my book

@SleepyMonkey: That totally counts! I hope the power doesn't go out. This storm just needs to pass. Thinking of all the NE bees!

2. pmrlady

apricot / 316 posts

@HappyBaker: Hope she feels better quickly!

@Espion: So sorry you had to deal with that! I would definitely freak out if that was me.

@namaste: that sucks, I hope the pain gets better with the motrin. My back starts to hurt when I have to carry J for a long time during her crying fits. I have to really try to change positions and put her down once in a while so it doesn't get worse.

3. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@Pumuckl: @Espion: @oliviaoblivia: Thanks! The appointment went well, and A is gaining weight. Biggest issue with latch is that she's not getting enough breast in her mouth. She's also a lazy nurser and fed for 45 minutes and took in just an ounce. At least I have a better idea of what's going on and hopefully will be able to correct it.

@namaste: good luck going out to eat! We've just been to the lactation consultant and doctor so far. Not sure how soon we'll be comfortable going out in public!

@Espion: Glad you got out of there!!

@SleepyMonkey: Hope you guys don't get hit too bad with the snow storm!

4. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@charmed: it seems almost like they are going to choke with how much breast they have to have in their mouths to get a good latch, isnt it? Hope that you can fix the issues soon!

@pmrlady: my back is hurting already too. I have always had problems but it is alarming how soon my back started hurting after i delivered.

5. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

Joining! Just got released from the hospital today.

6. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Raindrop: so glad to o have you! Hope all is well?

@charmed: FX she will get the hang of BF soon

Good luck to all dealing with the snow storm. It's snowing here too but only minimally compared to what you guys go through.

7. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Espion: oh I hate getting stuck in elevators. we were stuck for 3h once. Glad you got out quickly.

8. sorrycharlie

hostess / watermelon / 14932 posts

@SleepyMonkey: ugh I'm worried about power too. I've had the heat turned up just in case!!

9. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@Pumuckl: 3 hours?! I'm so glad it didn't take them that long. It was scary because the alarm button didn't work and our cellphones had spotty service. We had to bang on the elevator door.

10. mfa_lady

pomegranate / 3921 posts

@Raindrop: Welcome!! How are you guys doing?

11. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Espion: oh that sounds really uncool. We were stuck in a cave. I was just glad I was BF my little guy because that would have been a really long time if he wouldn't have been able to eat. And that the phone in the elevator worked.

12. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Raindrop: glad you're home!
    @charmed: my first was a lazy nurser. I hope you figure things out quickly, it does get better.

C has been crazy cluster feeding this morning. She slept well last night and yesterday so I'm hoping it's just a growth spurt , my nips can't do too much of this.

We've been getting tons of smiles lately, so amazing!

13. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@oliviaoblivia: envious that your getting smiles already. The only person J will smile for is her big brother - which is kind of the cutest. Whenever he gives her a kiss she has that big grin in her face.

14. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Pumuckl: we've had them for a week or so but I kept blaming them on gas because I didn't think she could be smiling so early. We had an appointment on Friday and the nurse caught her smiling at me and was surprised she was smiling all ready. Baby smiles are the best. I love that J is smiling for her brother! C has learned to wince when L comes around. Haha.

15. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@oliviaoblivia: baby smiles are the best! We only have gas smiles so far but they are still the best. I am dreading the cluster feeding. I was expecting a growth spurt sometime around now (7-10 days) but it hasnt happened yet.

16. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Pumuckl: @mfa_lady: @oliviaoblivia: Thanks ladies! LO has jundice and so we had to go back to the hospital today and I had to go back to get my staples removed.

It was actually a pretty terrible day... I think everything just hit me... my husband dropped me and the baby off at the enterence and I was suppose to walk to the newborn center (he was going to meet us there since we were running late) and it was about 30 feet away from the enterance and I had a total melt down because I was in so much pain. My feet/legs are pretty much doubled in size and it just hurts to walk. It's from them pumping fluids while they did the second surgery. Fun fact I was 180 going in to my scheduled csection ... I was 230 out of second surgery and now I'm 210 ... the doctors said it will take a few weeks to get back to a normal weight because the fluids are making it through my body... but boy it was tough today!! Some really nice nurses saw I was stuggling and got me a wheel chair ASAP and wheeled me around to all the appointments. Nurses are so nice!! I feel a lot better now and my swelling is better... of course it will get better with each passing day.

LO's junduice is a bit better, we do have to go back on Saturday to get it reviewed again. The staple removal was not painful at all... in fact I didn't even notice she was removing other than hearing a clipping noise. So that's good.

My heart goes out to people dealing with the storm. Looks like it's not as bad as they thought it would be though. I hope being stuck at home was okay for everyone!

17. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Pumuckl: @oliviaoblivia: @SleepyMonkey: Baby smiles are the best! My LOs are grumps! I didn't a smile out of LO 1 till he was at least 4 months old.

18. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Raindrop: Wow that really does sound like a terrible day. But you're such a trooper!!! Hope you really will feel better every day.

And YES teethless baby smiles are simply the best. Really looking forward to that milestone.

19. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@Pumuckl: Thanks! Woohoo just weighed myself only 200 lbs now. So the fluids are getting out slowly but surely.

20. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@oliviaoblivia: Lots of baby smiles here too! It's definitely not gas since A is a champion at expelling gas lol They're the best.

@Raindrop: Oh my word, I can't imagine having so much fluid. Since my IV was in for 30+ hours, my feet were so swollen when I came home and it took almost a week for them to go down. I was super upset so you are a champ momma!

21. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@oliviaoblivia: I love baby smiles! I get sleepy milk-drunk smiles from time to time.

Crossing all fingers and toes, H is actually napping in his bassinet. For the past two nights we've been make-shifting it with him sleeping in my arms 24-7. (And he wailed for the two hours DH forced me to take a nap yesterday. )

Going to see the LC today. H has been doing okay, but his latch seems to have only gotten worse. (My nips aren't cracked, but they are kind of burning sore and he comes off with the tell-tale white line across.) I basically feel like he is chomping on them with his gums. Hopefully we get some good tips today.

22. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@namaste: Haha I totally remember being swollen with my first but not *this* swollen. Definitely better today.

@Espion: Good luck with LC today! We saw like 3 for our last LO and nothing seemed to work for us. This time we meet with one and with my bad experience with my last one I decided to just pump as much as I can.

23. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Raindrop: big hugs! I missed your update last night. At least you lost ten pounds in ten hours....that's pretty good. You really have been through so much, take time to be gentle with yourself. You just had a baby. And you just had a very traumatic experience.

@Espion: C had a great latch in the hospital and the got awful at latching at home. I hope your LC can turn it around. It's amazing how a little change in latch can make things so painful or painless. How is E doing with baby brother?

@namaste: how was your dinner out the other day?

24. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@oliviaoblivia: Thanks! Yeah I peed a lot yesterday! Haha. Today I'm going to work on elevating my legs above my heart, the nurse that removed my staples says that would be the fastest way to reduce the swelling in my legs.

25. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Raindrop: aw im sorry to hear about your bad day. That does sound really horrible. So glad that nurses were able to help you. And hope your swelling and the babys jaundice starts to go away soon too.

@Espion: good luck at the lc today!

26. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Espion: good luck at the LC. hope she can help.

27. MapleMoose

grapefruit / 4213 posts

@Raindrop: Cut yourself some slack mama! You've been through a traumatic experience and have every right to need some TLC right now.

@Espion: Good luck at the LC today!

Apologies for not responding to everyone. I am on my phone and it's so difficult to respond from here. But I'm reading everyone's posts to keep updated.

At this point I am pumping every few hours. DD2 is getting all of her day bottles filled with BM but we are supplementing with formula at night because she stays full a little longer. DH is back to work after digging out from 2.5 feet of snow. We are doing split shifts at night. DH stays up with DD2 until midnight while I get 3-4 solid hours of sleep and then I take over the rest of the night. She's so fussy at night and her days/nights are still a little mixed up. At least I get a few hours of sleep! I can't nap during the day because DD1 is an energetic toddler running around all day.

28. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@SleepyMonkey: Thank you!

@MapleMoose: Thank you! That's such a good idea to give her formula for sleeping to keep her full longer!

29. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@MapleMoose: @Pumuckl: @SleepyMonkey: @Raindrop: Thank you ladies! He's gnawing right now. I'm looking forward to this appointment!!

@oliviaoblivia: E is still fairly oblivious, but he tries to pat the baby and give him toys. Thank goodness noisy toddler antics do not phase this baby one bit!!

30. HappyBaker

nectarine / 2242 posts

Ugh the past two days were awful, you guys that stay home with a toddler and baby are seriously superheros in my book!

I brought DD1 to the DR Monday night because of the puking and turns out she had a bad double ear infection. The past 2 nights she's been waking up every 30min-1 hour crying / needing us to help her get to sleep. Yesterday we were all home because we got about 30" of snow and she was losing her mind with being stuck inside. Luckily she seemed better today and daycare is open so its just me and the baby again! I've now realized how easy I have it when its just us two!

I think next week I'm going to start trying to get L to nap in his crib, hoping it works!

I've been following along with everyone's updates but its too hard to reply on my phone, hang in there everyone!

31. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

@Raindrop: my swelling was terrible too It's mostly gone now at 12 days pp, but my legs and hips were so swollen the first week that I could barely wear my yoga pants. And I had to wear my husband's slippers home from the hospital b/c none of my shoes would fit.

@Espion: good luck with the lactation consultant!

@HappyBaker: hope your daughter feels better! And 30" of snow- yikes!!

Newborn photos were a bust today A would not go back to sleep once we got her out of the carseat at the photographers, and was just a fussy mess the whole 2 hours. Thankfully the photographer is absolutely amazing, and we rescheduled for tomorrow and she's going to come to my house. Fingers crossed it goes better this time.

32. Raindrop

grapefruit / 4731 posts

@HappyBaker: You are a super mom!! I have mom helping out with LO#1

@charmed: Thanks! Haha I had to wear the hospital socks home. Luckily my hospital wheel chairs new moms to the curb where dads pick up bany and mommy. :). Good luck tomorrow!! We had newborn photos done at the hospital.

33. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

H has fairly good latch (he just needs to have his lower lip adjusted out), but I still have poor supply. He got about an ounce from the left (which is good), but only a third of an ounce on the right. I know that is just one feeding, but I can't help but be discouraged. Every single LC I have ever seen (in two different states) have all told me, "I can't figure out why you have poor supply, everything looks good!" They even ask in depth about my medical history, and still nothing.

I tried pumping the other day and got half an ounce.

My best bet is to restart domperidone (which I was on nearly the entire 7 months I breastfed E) but it is unobtainium. I probably have to apply for Canadian citizenship before I could get a script filled.

It's one thing to have a super poor latch (which H doesn't really have) and another thing to just not work. Kind of makes me feel broken.

34. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Espion: I'm sorry hun, that just plain sucks. I'm in Canada, I can mail you drugs If you want me to.

35. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@oliviaoblivia: Oh wow, really?? Domperidone was the only thing that worked at all with E.

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@HappyBaker: I was thinking the same thing the other day, kuddos to everyone who handles a newborn and toddler all day by themselves.

@charmed: so nice of your photog to reschedule and come to your house.

@Raindrop: moms are best

@Espion: Oh I am sorry about your supply issues. Is H acting all hungry or is he content after a feed? Asking because my puming output never matched what LO1 got directly at the source. I did a couple of weighted feeds with him. I am still contemplating doing some with J. It'd be easy because I have a baby scale but I don't want myself worrying even more about her weight.

37. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@HappyBaker: totally agree. I just said to dh that it would be so hard to be home alone with a toddler and newborn. You are doing a great job! My toddler has a cold and im paranoid about the baby catching it. I know its going to happen eventually but im washing my hands raw right now!

@charmed: sorry about the newborn session today! Hopefully tomorrow youll get some really good shots.

@Espion: sorry you had some bad news from the lc. Big hugs.

I have started bringing her into bed to sleep with me...not because she needs it but because i like it. She is so snuggly and i am just enamored with her. I think i'm creating bad habits.

38. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@Espion: I'm new to the drug exporting business but if you find a source online or whatever I'll be an address and then forward them to you. I'll talk with our pedi about how to get some on Friday when I see him. He's an IBLCL and would likely help.

39. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

@SleepyMonkey: @Pumuckl: @HappyBaker: it's really not that bad. L has gotten a bit more screen time than I'd like but we've figured out a routine fairly quickly. I like being home with both girls. I'd actually been looking forward to my mat leave so I can spend more time with #1, she's really fun right now.

40. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@oliviaoblivia: We're going on Friday but I'm looking forward to it!

@HappyBaker: So sorry about your little one's ear infection! I hope she feels better soon.

@charmed: Sorry about your photos today! Hope your LO is photo ready tomorrow. I can imagine it would be hard to travel for photos so I'm glad your photographer can come to your house.

@Espion: What a bummer! I hope things work out

We got A's birth announcements back from the printers. Fun story about how my brain is scrambled. I designed the first set with her birthdate as 1/29/14 and not 12/29/14 and didn't notice until they got here.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee