Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. blackbird

wonderful grape / 20453 posts

@Smurfette: HELLS NO! I'm jealous as all get out

2. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Maybe you can quickly hide a few eggs when you first arrive?

@Smurfette: Sounds like a great time for you and for Reagan!

@ALV91711: We haven't done extra toddler proofing but we will soon. Right now, we just have childproof outlets and the furniture is anchored. We'll probably need to move the glider out of his room this weekend and put window guards in the windows.

I started buying 2% milk this week. He's been drinking it at daycare since the fall. Since he's in the 75th percentile for weight, and eats like a horse, I figured that we could cut back on the whole milk.

3. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: I hope sleep gets better really soon for you.

@Adira: I agree that you should do a little hunt at home just for Xander so he can enjoy the treats you got him. You could even do it on Saturday, he won't know the difference.

@Smurfette: I'm so jealous that you get to go away again in November.

@QueensBee: Sounds like a pretty safe room so far.

Tonight Isaac was putting his buddies away for the night and he gave them all a drink of milk and put them to bed. It was so adorable.

4. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

So both R's teachers have commented how much more she is talking. They think too she wants to talk more but doesn't know how to say things, but I feel better that she is starting to talk more and more and not just when we ask her things.

She climbs up into her car seat on her own now and yells I did it! I think that is her new favorite thing to say I did it!

5. blackbird

@Smurfette: Ah that's adorable! We get a lot of "i did it!" and "yay!" with her arms in the air. so stinking cute. But i think E's in the same boat--wants to talk, babbles and says things, and gets really, really upset that we don't understand her. We had a 10 minute ordeal last night that ultimately turned out that she wanted to sit on the table. But she couldn't tell us. What a mess. I hope one day, they just wake up and can suddenly say all the things they want to!

@QueensBee: is it weird that I don't want to go to 2% because I like whole milk so much more?!?!? It's SO GOOD in my coffee!

6. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@blackbird: DH had a similar reaction when I told him we could switch. He likes drinking whole milk.

@Smurfette: Good to hear she is talking more.

Tonight Isaac told me he had an owie on his bum and wanted me to kiss it better. He is always having owies that need kisses, DH thought it was hysterical that he wanted his butt kissed.

7. Smurfette

I picked up R from day care and she had 101.7 fever. I got a picture from another Mom at 330 and she looked like she was having a blast at the party. Her teacher said she got hot like 30 mins before I got there. She wasn't herself at all, just lying on the couch. I finally got Motrin in her and then she was up and running around, stalling bedtime like normal. Was up at 300 with a fever again, then up at 345 and 6. I was up coughing between it all. Day care is closed today but now she can't go play next door this morning like she was supposed too. So DH is just trying to work with her till noon and I am taking over.

I am praying it isn't HFM again.

8. blackbird

@Smurfette: Oh NOOOOO i hope it's not HFM!!!

@ALV91711: haha bum kissies!

9. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: I hope it's not HFM either!!! How is she feeling today?

@blackbird: ha is it weird that I can't tell the difference between whole and 2%?

@ALV91711: Pete always wants us to kiss owies too. But he's never had one on his butt! Too funny!

Sooooooo we are driving to DC for the weekend. We left at 9:30am and are still 30 minutes away as I type this at 4:07pm! Traffic is so miserable, want to pull my hair out. Lots of Elmo on the iPhone to keep Pete from flipping out. Almost there...

10. Smurfette

@QueensBee: she had 103 around 10 DH said. But once the Motrin kicked in the fever goes away and she is acting totally normal this afternoon. I called the pedi's phone advice line and they think teething. Seems high to be teething. Said to come in tomorrow if we want. But they aren't worried till it is 72 hours and really if the med wasn't bringing the fever done. She is starting to get clingy so I think the meds are wearing off.
    Not going to lie that sounds miserable! Do you have an iPad? We hang it from the back of the seat so she can watch movies on long trips. Why DC?

11. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: 103 does seem high for teething but at least it comes down quickly. I hope these molars come in quickly for you. And that you all got some sleep last night!

We are visiting some friends who live down here for the long weekend. They come through NY a lot and we were due a trip to visit them. There's so much to see and do, and the weather is so lovely at this time of year. But man, the car ride was just brutal!

12. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: That is a long car ride, hope you all survived. Have a fun weekend.

I am dreading our 2 hour each way car ride today but that is nothing compared to what you just did.

@Smurfette: Hope R is feeling better today.

So we decided that Easter Bunny is going to come during nap time tomorrow. Since DH has to work a few hours in the morning, I can still get a bit of a sleep in and then it will be a fun afternoon.

13. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Smurfette: I hope R is feeling better. LO had a 102.2F fever briefly last weekend. She is teething and we never saw any other infection or cold-type symptoms. Not sure what it was.

@QueensBee: Congrats on surviving the drive down. Enjoy your trip!

14. Smurfette

@QueensBee: @ALV91711: @Corduroy: no fever this morning! The other bottom molar cut through last night. She had a BLAST at the egg hunt this morning. So I think she is feeling better!

15. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: So glad to hear R is starting to talk more!! Glad to hear the fever sounded teething related and not anything worse!

@blackbird: Why don't you stick with whole milk then??

@ALV91711: Xander always wants his boo-boos kissed too! Though sometimes he'll kiss them himself! And if he thinks I have a boo-boo, he kisses mine!

@QueensBee: That drive to DC sounds intense. You are a brave person for doing that with a toddler!

16. blackbird

@Adira: oh we are! I don't see the need to switch and E isn't in a high weight bracket so it doesn't hurt her at all

17. Adira

@blackbird: We currently drink 2%, but if Logan isn't allergic to milk, I suspect we'll all switch to whole with him and then not want to switch back!

18. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

We had so much fun in D.C. today! Pete likes to run around and shout, "Washington D.C.!" We visited friends and went to the zoo. Makes the drive feel totally worth it! I just hope tomorrow's ride home is a little bit quicker...

@Smurfette: Your egg hunt photos were super cute! Glad she is feeling better and the tooth broke through.

19. Adira

@QueensBee: Sounds like such a fun day! Bummer it's such a short trip though. Good luck on the drive home.

20. Adira

Well this is disappointing. We put Xander 's Easter basket in front of his crib while he was sleeping and I can see him awake on the video monitor and he hasn't even noticed it!

21. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Did he finally notice it?

I just put out Isaac's easter basket and plastic eggs around the house while he is napping. I hope he is excited when he wakes up.

@Smurfette: Your pics are so cute. Glad she had fun.

@Adira: So cute that he kisses your boo-boo's.

@QueensBee: Sounds like so much fun.

Isaac had so much fun with his big cousins yesterday and they just loved him. He coloured eggs for the first time and loved it. Today he has pink eye. Poor dude.

22. Adira

@ALV91711: We had to point it out to him! And then once he saw the Bob the Builder books he didn't care about anything else. Hope Isaac is excited about his basket and the eggs!

23. Adira

Ugh, post nap has been rough. Xander only slept for about 30 minutes and woke up screaming and miserable. Being around dogs finally was getting to him (he's allergic I think). His face was all red and swollen. So we gave him Benadryl and decided to leave. He fell asleep in the car but has been screaming since we got home. We wanted to give him a bath to wash off the dog dander, but he didn't want one and just screamed through the whole thing.

24. Smurfette

So this morning, I woke up and was looking at my phone, heard R talking to herself, so I look at the monitor. Girlfriend full on climbing out. I yell oh shit at DH, and run in there. I got there right before she dropped down. DH flies out tomorrow so we are going to wait till Friday to convert to the toddler bed cause I don't want to have to deal with it myself. I think it will be ok since I am up before her in the morning.

We are still at my parents for Easter. But she is having a blast with her cousins! Although way too much sugar.

25. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: We love Bob the Builder too!
    It does sound like he might be allergic to the dog. How did the rest of the night go after the Benadryl?

@Smurfette: Jail break! Sounds like next weekend will be it. Hope the transition is a smooth one!

Pete has been taking a lot of time and attention to fall asleep in his new bed. Last night, my husband spent about 50 minutes putting him to sleep (7-8pm) and the he woke up 5 hours later and we had to do the whole thing over again (12-1am). He was also up for the day at 6am. We decided we're going to re-sleep train so that he can (hopefully) become a bit more independent with sleep again. It worked pretty well for his afternoon nap today. I'm home from work so I read books and tucked him in. I sang and rubbed his back, but then I left and closed the door. He jumped up and cried for about ten minutes but then fell asleep on his own. Fingers crossed!

26. Smurfette

@QueensBee: do you have any tips for me? I am scared. She takes forever to fall asleep as it in. Like 30-60 mins pretty much every night. I just have a feeling that it is going to be a battle every night to keep her in bed.

Also did you have P watch you put the bed together? Talk up the big girl bed?

27. Adira

@Smurfette: Ahhhhh!!!! I can't believe she figured it out!!!! Brave girl, haha! Glad you caught it in time!

@QueensBee: Once he was out of the bath and changed into his truck pjs, he was totally fine! And we gave him a bit of chocolate, so then he was hyper the rest of the night, haha.

Sorry to hear that Pete's had a rough time getting to sleep in the new bed. I'm so scared about doing the transition... I hear it can be really bad with some kids.

28. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: I feel like a hypocrite giving advice since our transition hasn't really been a success! But I'll tell you what we've tried...
    1. He watched us put the bed together and we really talked it up. He also got some new bedding that has trucks and helicopters on it (his fav).
    2. We checked out books from the library and read all about big boy beds.
    3. We asked our parents to send little videos of themselves telling him how proud they are of him and his new bed.
    4. Last week, I tried keeping him up later than usual, hoping that he'd be more tired. That didn't really help.
    5. We need to put up a study gate at the door or else he'd come charging out every time. (He cries when he sees us put the gate up.)

When we were in D.C., we visited with friends who have two kids (28 months and 9 months old), and they both fall asleep SO easily. The kids share a room and sleep 7pm-7am every night. I saw the mom put the 9 month old to bed on Friday night, around 7pm. She literally placed the baby in the crib and closed the door. Girl didn't even have pajamas on! She was out like a light. It gave me hope that children can fall asleep without it taking over the entire evening!

I'll let you know how we do with the modified CIO this week and if we see any improvement.

29. Smurfette

@Adira: DH put her in the crib last night and she started to get one leg up and he told her no. I am going to stay glued to the monitor all week.
    @QueensBee: I told DH that we need to switch it to the toddler bed when we get home Friday so she can see it. We have some cheap gates in the basement that my brother gave us that we can use if we need too. We usually put her in the crib and walk out and close the door. Then she rolls/talks to herself around for 30-60 mins before going to sleep. But we have to tell her through the monitor all the time that she needs to roll over and go asleep. So frustrating. I wish someone would let me get 12 hours of sleep!
    Thanks for the advice! Maybe I will order a book from amazon.

30. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Good luck!!!!

31. Adira

@Smurfette: We don't intend to switch yet, but I just ordered the Big Enough for a Bed book (the Sesame Street one) to prepare Xander. I'm scared!!

32. Adira

@Smurfette: No idea if any of these tips are good are not, but here it is: http://www.ahaparenting.com/ages-stages/toddlers/crib-to-toddler-bed

33. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: I think those are some great tips! Thanks for sharing!
    And happy that the bath and benadryl seemed to solve the issue for Xander.

34. Smurfette

@Adira: thanks!

35. Adira

@Smurfette: Good luck! And tell me how it goes and what worked and what didn't!!

36. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Good thing you saw her climbing out. I hope that it will be a smooth transition for you this weekend.

@QueensBee: Those sound like some good tips. Hopefully with some re-training he will start sleeping good in his bed.

@Adira: I think that article had some really good tips.

37. Smurfette

So turns out we don't have toddler rails. We bought the conversion kit, and the toddler guard rail is separate. Urg! Of course the toddler rail is discontinued online. So I ran to Babies R Us and got a mesh rail. It goes the while length of the crib. She likes it so far. Well till we left the room. She climbed out over the rail, got her baby, and then couldn't get back in. So I am going to order a smaller one so she can get in and out. She still isn't asleep.

38. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: I was thinking of you guys tonight! Bummer about the guard rail! We ordered this one and it works pretty well:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051069TA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    He can climb in and out but it keeps him in the bed. And you can take it off the bed easily to change sheets or take it with you on vacation.

And on that note, I have to go upstairs again because I hear him crying at the door. I hope your bedtime is going better than ours!

39. Smurfette

@QueensBee: she fell asleep around 840/845. It was better then I thought. Those look neat. It fits in a crib? I don't get how it works.

40. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: That's great!!! Was she excited for the new bed?

The bumper I linked about is about 3 feet long and 8 inches wide that you buckle into place over the mattress.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee