Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Smurfette: How'd you get her interested in band-aids?? Xander's got a scab on his thumb that he keeps picking and it will not heal, but when I try to put a band-aid on it, he FREAKS out!!

2. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@Adira: I put one on her one day cause she was picking/scratching her bug bite scabs. Now she wants one like every single day even though she doesn't need one. We had Princess ones and last weekend I let her pick out new ones, she picked Frozen.

3. Adira

@Smurfette: Maybe I need to get character ones. I tried just using the regular plain bandaids and Xander had a fit and ripped it off as soon as I got it on him. Bleh!

4. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Can I ask everyone for an update on toddler sleep?

Pete only naps in the car or at daycare. I cannot get the kid to nap at home and it's exhausting to get through the day with him. He's up at 6:30am, naps for 45 minutes in the car (if we are lucky!), and then falls asleep around 9:15pm. It's a long day! Bedtime requires brushing teeth, reading three books, singing lullabies, and then sitting in his room until he is in a deep sleep. If I start at 8pm, I'm not out until 9:15pm. If I start at 8:45pm, I'm not done until 9:35pm. I really need for him to learn to fall asleep without me sitting in the room. If I try to sneak out before he's totally asleep, he jumps out of bed and runs to the door crying. And then we begin the process over again.

I should also mention that he wakes up around 2am and crawls into bed with us, where he kicks and flails and keeps me up until his 6:30am wakeup. Bedtime feels like a lot of work for only a few hours of independent sleep!

I need to find a way to help him fall asleep without me sitting in the room before #2 comes, or before I lose my mind. Any tips would be appreciated!

I'm considering this type of projector night light but I also hate to spend $25 on a gimmick that won't work... http://www.amazon.com/Petit-Prince-Twilight-Constellation-Projector/dp/B00HZBVFE2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435800110&sr=8-2&keywords=star+night+light

5. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@QueensBee: oh man. We're doing ok now, although he still comes in our room in the middle of the night about 50% of the time, but we were right there where you were a few months ago. We had to wean him off that staying until he fell asleep thing. We moved gradually further away from him. Then sat outside the door and let him call to us but he couldn't see us. Eventually he stopped needing that. We just put him down now and he's generally ok.

6. Smurfette

@QueensBee: she is only napping 1.5 hrs at most on average. Usually one nap a weekend she fights it bad and sometimes doesn't nap. Or we have to drive around so she gets at least 20-30 mins. We never know we are going to get. We started just putting her down at 8, then it still is 8:30/8:45 before she falls asleep. If we put her down at 7:30 she would stay awake till 8:30/845. So it is nice to have more time with her during the week. Routine is bath(every other night), jammie's, teeth, books, songs(only with me), and bed. She has to climb in herself or meltdown. Tonight I had to rock her for awhile cause she wasn't happy about bedtime. She has books, dolls, and other stuffed toys in bed with her. She is up between 625-830(only happens when she is up later then normal). Average is 7:00.
    I have heard a lot of people swear by the toddler clocks. I would try what @travellingbee: did, slowly move further away each day. As for the middle of the night maybe the clock will work. Or I would just pick him up and put him back in his bed when he crawls in with you. heck even try bribery, is there a toy he would love? Tell him he gets it for staying in his bed every night for a week. Or do something little each night he does it and then after a week do the big prize.

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@QueensBee: Vacation sleep has been great. 3 hour naps and close to 10 hours at night with no waking up. But this is not the norm. At home it is max 2 hour nap and just got back to waking up at 5:30 instead of 4:30. It should be interesting when we go back home.

At my IL's we are all 3 sleeping in the living room, so I have to put him to bed in the IL's room and move him when we go to bed. Since he is going to sleep in a bed I have to lay with him or he'll just try and get up and this is taking about an hour each night. I look forward to being at my mom's tomorrow were we will have a room and he can just go to bed.

Success today, we got him swimming and he loved it. I held him floating on his belly forever and he was just so happy.

@Smurfette: I've heard the toddler clocks are good and when we get home I want to go and buy one.

@QueensBee: I think for $25 it is worth a try. And if he doesn't like it maybe the new baby will. Do you ever try putting him back to bed when he comes and crawls in with you?

8. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Oh yes, I think potty training is upon us. My FIL does woodwork and yesterday made Isaac a really cool potty seat with a magazine rack, toilet paper holder and his name on it. When I was putting Isaac to bed last night he very seriously said "Grandpa made me a potty but I'm not potty trained." So I told him that when we got home we would potty train him so he can use his new potty.

9. Adira

@QueensBee: I'm so sorry to hear about your rough bedtime and sleep! I'm afraid I have no advice. Xander is still in a crib, so even if he cries when we leave him, he can't go anyway and eventually settles. He's still on one nap at daycare and at home, but my niece dropped her last nap around 2, so maybe Pete just doesn't need one anymore? Our bedtime routine is: brush teeth, diaper change, pjs, inhaler, playing, stories (2-3), songs (3-5), hug, and then we leave. But again, he's still in a crib, so can't go anywhere...

@ALV91711: Glad you finally got him into the water!!

10. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Thank you all for taking the time to describe your routines and offer any advice or commiseration!

@travellingbee: We will try your plan of moving a little farther away each night. Once you made it out the door, did you close the door or put up a gate to keep him in? Or, did you keep the door open and somehow encourage him to stay inside the room?

@Smurfette: I feel a little better hearing that R gets a similar amount of sleep. I do wish he could stay in his bed the whole night too! We have the yellow/green toddler clock and that hasn't seemed to help. We've tried bribery too (he can have a cookie for breakfast and a sticker if he stays in his bed until the sun is up! so unhealthy, lol!) but that has only been moderately successful. Maybe I have to up the bribery? But what's better than a cookie for breakfast?

@ALV91711: Good point about the new baby liking the projector, even if it doesn't help Pete! I wonder if the heat is helping Isaac sleep through the night? I'm always more exhausted after a day in the sun.

That potty sounds awesome! I love that it has a magazine rack! What a great way to encourage potty training!

@Adira: Jealous of the crib! I feel like Xander's always been a pretty good sleeper. I hope Baby #2 is mellow like Xander!

11. Smurfette

@QueensBee: yeah we found quickly the M&Ms for potty training didn't interest her. But the little butter cookies did. We showed her a Molly (Bubble Guppies) stuffed doll and told her she can have it when she poops in the potty. She is trying so hard and keeps asking for it. Just have to find what works and doesn't for it.
    What happens if you toddler proof the room and just leave him in there?

12. travellingbee

@QueensBee: we didn't really have a problem with him getting out. He would just cry in his bed. But my friends did and they just kept putting him back. They said one night they put him back in like 100 times but eventually he stopped. We kept the door open and talked to him, saying he could call to us, when ever he wanted. So he'd randomly yell out, "Momma!" And I'd talk to him again and reassure him I was there.

13. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: I only saw your post now. Bedtime here is also quite the battle. Although it happens earlier and B still naps. He sleeps 45min-3h during the day. At night we usually all go upstairs at around 7-7:30pm. Sometimes J goes to bed too sometimes she'll already be asleep if she's still up she goes down first. Which basically means I nurse her while DH does potty, PJs, teeth etc. with B. Then we all cuddle do a story and B goes to his bed. Next to which we then sit until he's asleep (30-60'). He then sleeps until 5-6 am.

So not much fun either.

14. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: His room is mostly toddler proof so we sometimes lock him in there for a few minutes (like tonight!). He pretty much loses his mind in a crying fit. I'm sure he'd get himself to bed eventually but it would take a lot of crying to get there. That might be our next step but I'm hoping we can find a more moderate way to get him into bed first.

@travellingbee: I tried sitting in the doorway tonight, instead of inside the room. He got out of bed over and over and over again. Eventually, I had to close the door to his room and say that I would only open it when he was in his bed. At that point, he was tired enough to stay in bed and it worked! We'll see how tomorrow goes.

@Pumuckl: That does sound like a battle! Although you give me hope that it's possible to get two kids to sleep on my own!

15. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: yeah, you find a way to make it work. For us it helps immensely that J falls asleep on her own with no issues (and has done so since she's 6 weeks or so).

16. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Update: Pete fell asleep with DH sitting outside his room last night. Way less crying than the first night! He was up and in our bed by 2am, but at least we seem to be making progress at bedtime! Baby steps...

17. Smurfette

@QueensBee: That's great! fingers crossed it keeps up.

Still potty training over here. I feel like we take one step forward and then take one step back. She doesn't seem to care about peeing in the pull or panties. She usually is dry most of the day, but we have to take her. She knows when she has to go but doesn't want to stop playing. And poops are a whole other story. Again she knows when she needs to go but just goes in the panties or pull ups.

18. Adira

@QueensBee: Progress is progress!! Good job, Pete!

@Smurfette: I wonder if she's actually not really ready to fully potty train? Sounds like she's not super interested in it and doesn't mind being wet?? Must be so frustrating for you.

19. Smurfette

@Adira: Oh she wants to be changed as soon as she goes, even pee. DH and I both said that we can't stop at this point. She likes to go but just doesn't want to stop doing what she is doing to go potty.

20. Adira

@Smurfette: Oh, I gotcha. I think that might be normal? I remember my friend's daughter being the exact same way, to the point where she'd throw a tantrum and refuse to go even if my friend sat her on the potty because she didn't want to stop doing whatever she was doing. And then immediately have an accident. I don't know how they got past that though...

21. Smurfette

@Adira: yeah her teachers keep telling me she is doing great. So we are going to just keep going with it. I am just frustrated. I don't see how some kids get it in 3 days.

22. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Oh man, I am not looking forward to the mess of potty training! Our neighbors are currently in the process and they keep LO in a dress with no underwear on during the day (eta when at home). They carry her little potty with them everywhere, and ask her every ten minutes, "Do you have to go potty?" If it's right there and very accessible, she's more willing to stop playing, lift her dress, and go on the potty. Obviously this wouldn't help in a daycare setting but maybe over the weekend?

Other than that, I have no idea because we're not even close to where you are with it! We're hoping to get started once bedtime is under control. Could be college at this point!

23. Smurfette

@QueensBee: well she uses the regular toilet. I don't want to clean a little one plus they use a regular one at day care, so we wanted them to be the same. She will go all day if we just tell her to go, but if we don't 90% of the time she doesn't go on her own even though I know she knows when she needs to go.
    I told her no more panties till she keeps her pull-ups dry and she wasn't happy about that. I also told her this morning, no TV tonight if she doesn't keep dry all day. We will see what happens. It will be a tough nite if she doesn't stay dry.

24. Adira

Have any of your LOs needed stitches before? Just got the call from daycare that Xander fell and has a cut that probably needs stitches. Wondering what to expect.

25. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: No, we haven't needed stitches yet. I hope Xander's okay and it's not too terrible for you!

26. Adira

@QueensBee: Thanks!

He ended up NOT needing stitches! Just glued it shut or something. He has to keep it dry for a week, so no baths and no swimming. We'll miss our first swimming lessons, but hopefully we can get back into it next week.

27. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Adira: Glad it went well! I LOVE the glue, compared to stitches. So much easier for me to stomach!

Bedtime was a breeze tonight! Pete skipped his nap so he was pretty tired by the end of the day. I put him in bed, sat outside his door for 5 minutes, and left. I was done by 8:05pm. Maybe he is ready to totally skip nap? Now I hope we don't ruin our bedtime progress when we leave for the lake house tomorrow!

28. Smurfette

@Adira: poor guy! That he didn't need stitches.
    @QueensBee: yay!

So DH and I talked and since R is showing no interest the last couple days, we are potty training drop outs. (Singing it like Beauty School Drop Out from Grease). They will take her every couple hours at school with the rest of the kids. But I think we were forcing it too much. Frustrating cause she was so into it at first and was getting in. I know she knows when she has to go but she is ignoring it. Some days she would do better at school and the some home. Like she would just do it when she was in the mood. Guess we will try in a couple months.

29. travellingbee

@QueensBee: glad his bedtime is getting better! The sounds really similar to how it went for us.

30. Adira

@QueensBee: @Smurfette: Thanks ladies! When I got home last night, he was excited to show me his wound. He ran up to me and said "See my boo-boo, Mama? See??" and turned his face so I could see it. Silly kid.

@QueensBee: Woohoo for an easy bedtime!!! Hope it continues and your trip doesn't mess it up.

@Smurfette: I don't blame you one bit! If it's getting too frustrating for everyone involved, it's probably best to just stop for now so you don't make it a bad experience for her. Hopefully she'll be ready in a few months.

31. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

And we are back from holidays. It was a great two weeks away. Isaac and his little cousin had so much fun together. The love and friendship between them already is just amazing! Isaac has overcome some fears in the last couple weeks and it was wonderful to watch. He was a trooper spending 12 hours in the car yesterday. One thing we learned is that he does not easily fall asleep in the car.

I'm going to miss the epic 3 hour naps, I'm sure he won't keep those up once we are back into routine.

@QueensBee: Hope that bedtime is continuing to go well while you are away.

@Smurfette: Hopefully in a couple months when you start again she will just get it and do it. It must suck to have to stop though.

@Adira: Glad he didn't have to get stitches. I saw your post on IG, sorry that you have to go through another allergy. Was this the first time he had nuts?

32. Adira

@ALV91711: Welcome home! Glad you had a fun vacation.

Yes, this was the first time he's had any nuts. Now I'm nervous about tree nuts. But at least now we know!

33. Smurfette

@ALV91711: 3 hour naps would still be awesome if they were only for a short time.

Of course R stayed dry all day at school on Friday, except nap, and has been telling us this weekend when we she needs to go. But are just going to follow her lead and not push it. She still is rarely pooping in the potty.

34. Adira

@Smurfette: I think following her lead for now is probably a good way to go. Maybe she'll essentially potty train herself!

35. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I hope he grows out of the allergy.

@Smurfette: That is good that she is still interested. Maybe just going casually will get her trained.

Isaac said after dinner tonight "I need supper for dinner"

36. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: It sounds common among the boards for for potty training to be a step forward and a step backward. Good for you guys for taking a break from it before it became miserable! And I love the potty training dropout song. She'll get there soon, at least you can laugh about it in the meantime!

@ALV91711: Great to hear that you had a fantastic trip! I just love watching the kids interact at this age and I bet Isaac was adorable with his cousin. How is the sleep and nap situation now that you're back? Supper for dinner- cutie!

@Adira: You had a wild week of hospital visits! How is Xander's cut healing? Hope you're doing okay with the peanut allergy.

Sleep continues to be much much better! Bedtime is way more pleasant and he has been sleeping in his own bed for the whole night. It feels so good to be rested again!!

37. Smurfette

@QueensBee: Go P!!

38. Adira

@QueensBee: Xander's cut is healing nicely. We had to go check it out on Saturday to make sure it wasn't infected, and it looks good. We can wash off the glue tomorrow! And YAY for sleep!!!

@ALV91711: hahaha, too cute!

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Yay, that means you can go to swimming lessons this weekend!

@QueensBee: Woohoo! I really hope he continues sleeping in his own bed.

Night sleep is good here but Isaac is adjusting back into his regular routine and been a bit grumpy. He only gets about a 2 hour nap at daycare and for two weeks it was 3 hours. He isn't sleeping longer/shorter at night though.

40. Adira

@ALV91711: Yes! Xander and I are both excited about swimming lessons on Saturday!

Glad sleep is going okay for you guys. Hopefully he adjusts back into his regular routine soon.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee