Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: That is so cute! They are just so sweet right now!

2. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: It is funny if he realizes that since he rarely gets candy and when he does it is a few pieces at the most! But maybe he saw it on a cartoon, you never know.

@Pumuckl: I'm really loving this age. It is truly enjoyable, well except when he is being horrible!

3. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

So Isaac has decided getting out of bed multiple times after we tuck him in is great. He keeps telling us that he doesn't have the energy to sleep.

He never did this when he moved into this bed months ago. Hopefully it ends soon.

4. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Ugh, I'm sorry! This is my biggest fear about moving to a toddler bed! I hope he stops soon.

5. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@ALV91711: Yeah R started that not to long ago. She pretty much comes out right after we leave to go potty. Half the time she doesn't go. It is so frustrating.
    @Adira: he is still in a crib?

6. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yes! We're planning on converting him soon though...

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That is actually awesome that he is still in the crib. No late night shenanigans. We still have to get a twin mattress for his bed, he's still using the crib one.

@Smurfette: crazy kids. He is always asking for warm milk, which he has before bed. So we've been giving him water. It had been hot and muggy so I can see him being thirsty.

8. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

How's everyone's summer? Ours has been pretty good. Took Isaac fishing for the first time this weekend, he seemed to enjoy it.

Other than that we haven't done too much. Just parks and gardening, playing with the neighbourhood kids.

9. Adira

@ALV91711: Our summer is going well. We haven't done anything too exciting though. Swimming lessons with both boys is fun. And lots of playing in the kiddy pool at home and going for walks. We're visiting MIL in a couple weeks though, which will be fun. She lives on a lake, so we'll get to go boating. I'm excited!

10. Smurfette

@ALV91711: ours has been good. Busy, busy but that is normal. She had a blast at the beach. Likes the pool more then the ocean. She loves to jump in over and over and over again. She is super excited about baby sister and says all the time but I want my baby to come now! After Christmas kid, you got awhile. We are getting ready for our basement finishing to start on Wed. Things in our house are a mess but I can't wait till it is done, 90 days!, then get started on the nursery. Already ordering stuff and stacking the boxes. This fall is going to fly by I have a feeling. She started preschool officially today. Baby is growing up. I asked her last week if she could stop growing. No Mommy I need to grow so I can be a big kid.

11. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Smurfette: DD and I have a game we play where she says she's growing and I pout. Then she squats down and I smile. Over and Over. She knows she's not allowed to grow

We've been swimming almost every day for 3 weeks. DD has two weeks of swim lessons and finally got comfortable on the last day. Now she can swim about 5 ft with face in the water to me or to the wall. Incredible improvement.

Yesterday we had an incident where DD left our house while we were having company (so 6 adults and 4 kids running in and around the house). At a point everyone was inside, DD went out the side door, next door, and fought with the 5 year old neighbor. He closed his garage door with her DD on the inside and him inside the house. My dad watched the whole thing happen. He retrieved LO from the neighbor's and brought her home. Scary that that all happened while I was playing with LO2 in the living room. If my dad wasn't watching it would have taken me forever to find LO in the neighbor's garage. I feel horrible. On the other hand, WTF dad for watching DD leave the house. I think 3 is going to be hard.

12. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Corduroy: Yikes! That is scary. I'm glad your dad saw where she went. These kids are sneaky and fast.

@Smurfette: busy, busy. That will be nice to have the basement finished. R is going to be a great big sister. How are you feeling?

@Adira: Boating is going to be fun! We haven't gone swimming this summer, but there is still time.

We are having bedtime struggled lately. He was wandering out of bed frequently. A few days ago we started to put him to bed at 8 to see if that helps. Some nights it has but tonight again after 9 he was out of bed. The only plus is that he is sleeping longer.

13. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: Hope bedtime has gotten better again. Over here bedtime has been a breeze since he now doesn't nap at all. He's in bed and asleep within 10' at 7pm. We got our evening back!!! 😃

So B keeps telling us that he is getting a brother and a sister and at the NT scan this week we found out he is probably right. Of course it's still early and the doc wouldn't commit but he said it very much looks like it's boy/girl twins. I have no idea how kids know things like this.
    B is switching to Kindergarten (so I guess in us terms that's preschool) this week and is having a hard time with the new teacher. Hopefully it'll get better soon.

14. Smurfette

@Pumuckl: So exciting! A friend's son told her she was going to have a baby sister before she was even pregnant. She got pregnant that cycle and just found out it is a girl. Kids do seem to know things.
    Sorry he is having a rough time with the new room/teacher. Hope it gets better soon.

15. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Tonight I took him on a trike ride to the park after dinner and that seemed to tire him out and he went right to sleep. Hopefully he adjusts to the new teacher soon. How crazy that he knows what the babies are. That will be fun to have 2 of each.

@Smurfette: That is crazy that he said that before she was even pregnant.

16. Adira

@Pumuckl: OMG, I totally forgot you were pregnant with twins!!! You are going to have a FULL HOUSE!!! Ahhh!!! What an exciting time!! As for school - I think that's normal for the first couple weeks to be rough. When Xander first started in his preschool class, he hated it, but after a couple weeks, he was loving it! Hoping things start improving for B soon!

17. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Just curious what kiddos are doing pre-school? Do they all start kindergarten in Sept 2018?

We aren't doing actual pre-school. He is in the pre-school class at daycare. He will go to school when kindergarten starts in 2018.

Where we live the cut offs are different than where I grew up, it doesn't go by calendar year. You have to be 4 on March 1 to register for kindergarten that September.

18. Smurfette

@ALV91711: she is in the preschool class at day care. I don't understand why that isn't actual preschool though? Next Aug she will be in the pre-k class. Then Aug 18 will be kindergarten. I can't believe it is only two years away. slow down baby!

19. Adira

@ALV91711: @Smurfette: Xander's also in preschool through daycare. I totally count that as "real" preschool! It's just even more convenient since it's daycare hours, rather than just a couple hours a day. And yep, Xander starts kindergarten in the fall of 2018!!!! I'm not sure when he transitions to pre-k (although through the daycare). I'm guessing sometime after he turns 4.

20. Smurfette

@Adira: I think most pre-k programs go by the school year. So R will be almost 4.5 by the time she moves into that room.

21. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, I'm not actually sure how ours work. Xander didn't move into the preschool class based on the school year, so I don't know if the pre-k class follows the school year or not.

22. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

B just moved now, will be in Kindergarten for 2 years, move to preschool in the summer of 2018 and start 1. grade in the summer of 2019.

He's still having a hard time at the new place 😫 I hate seeing him suffer like this. Hopefully it will be better soon.

23. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Pumuckl: Boy/girl twins! Yay! I'm half terrified and half excited for you! Just kidding, I think it's going to be such a blast to have a big family and twins will have such a special bond. Congratulations!

Sorry B is still having a hard time in his new classroom. Hopefully he will adjust soon. It's so hard watching them struggle at drop off.

@Smurfette: I am not ready to think about kindergarden! I feel like the elementary school years just fly by once they get going and then... it's middle school! Ahhh, slow down is right!

@ALV91711: Pete is starting the 3s class mid-september at a new nursery school. Assuming all goes well, he'll join the 4s class next year and then our public school kindergarden the year after that.

Pete had his last day at his old daycare/montessori school last Friday. He starts at a new 9am-1pm nursery school program in early September. It's a long three week stretch with him home! He spent two weeks of camp at his new school this summer and he is all jazzed to start there soon. I'm hoping the transition will be a smooth once since he's already spent some time there.

24. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@QueensBee: sounds like P will have a blast! It's a good thing he's all excited and knows the place.

25. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: 2 years will go by fast. I guess by actual, I meant other than daycare. I think pre-school class in daycare is awesome and the whole days will have them ready for elementary.

@Adira: We don't have pre-k here, so I know nothing about that. He will move to the kindergarten room at 4.5, they go by age. That will be next year September. Then he will be there until he starts grade 1. Then he moves to the out of school program.

@Pumuckl: I hope the new place gets better for him soon. It is hard to leave them in the morning when they aren't happy. I'm curious, are you going to go back to work after you have the twins?

@QueensBee: I hope it goes great for him at his new school. When does your school year start? I was surprised to find out kids here go back Sept 1.

I can't believe we are coming up on 3.5, these kids are getting big too fast.

26. Smurfette

@QueensBee: @ALV91711: That is so late to me. School started here the first week of August.
    @ALV91711: You have to be 5 here to be in kindergarten. Basically pre-k is pre-school and most programs are longer, like a kindergarten day. A lot of pre-school is like 9-12 and pre-k will be 8-2, or something like that.

27. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: If school starts in August do they start summer break earlier? Or do they have more breaks throughout the year? Summer break here doesn't start until the end of June.

28. Smurfette

@ALV91711: They are usually done around Memorial Day. Some districts are going more towards the year round school. Which I think is harder to parents. Finding coverage every other month for a week has to be hard.

29. Adira

@Smurfette: Oh wow, you guys are a whole month off from us. Our schools are like @ALV91711:'s. We start September 6th this year and go to the end of June. Actually, kindergarten starts a week later: September 14th!

ETA: Just checked - June 13th is our scheduled end-date, though it might move depending on snow days.

30. Smurfette

@Adira: someone told me at some point, most schools up north start later cause the schools don't have AC, so they wait till it is cooler. Is that true?

31. Adira

@Smurfette: Oh! Probably! I should ask my friend who teaches at one of our schools. Certainly when I was going to school, we didn't have A/C. I don't know about schools these days. My guess is they probably don't have A/C though since most of these buildings are pretty old.

32. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: I like the year round schooling from a learning point of view but agree, having to find care so frequently for long stretches could be a struggle.

33. Adira

@Smurfette: What is the year round school model? We don't have that here.

34. Smurfette

@Adira: basically shorter summer breaks and then 4-5 breaks over the year (fall, thanksgiving, Christmas, winter, and spring).

35. Adira

@Smurfette: Hmm... I'm not sure if I'd like that or not. I don't get 5 weeks of vacation myself, so that would be hard. But having the whole summer off is hard too. I'm guessing that our YMCA, which offers summer camp and care during our school vacations would just offer care during those weeks off to accommodate the change.

36. Smurfette

@Adira: it really is 6 weeks, cause most get two weeks for Christmas break. Yeah you have to find camps/day cares to watch the kids. Sounds much harder.

37. Adira

@Smurfette: Is your district making the switch??

38. Smurfette

@Adira: I don't think so. Who knows a lot can change in two years. We aren't going to do the free pre-k program, cause we haven't heard great things. The elementary school is great but the pre-k program isn't.

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: 6 weeks over the year course of the year just sounds like too much planning for care.

Tonight I took Isaac for a trike ride and I was telling him to turn around to go home and he said to me I'm doing it, chill out. WTF kid!

40. Adira

@ALV91711: hahahaha!!!! I could totally see Xander saying something like that because I'm always going "Chill!" to him. LOL!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee