Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That sounds kind of miserable! It will get better as they get older I'm sure. Last time we did a long road trip Isaac was 2 and it was miserable, makes me glad we opted out of driving back home this summer. DH flew and saw his family for a week and I plan to take Isaac this fall and fly to see my family for a week.

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@ALV91711: Yeah, the drive kind of sucked, and it wasn't worth the trip because we barely saw Hubs' dad and step-mom the entire time we were there, so it wasn't worth the drive! I think I'll be able to get away with not going back for a couple years.

3. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That's crummy. Did the 4 of you have fun anyway?

4. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, we had a decent time. We just would've had more fun at home since it would've been warmer and we could've gone swimming or to a nice park (we went to the park there, but it only had a few things and no slides).

5. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Isaac had his biggest spill tonight and is pretty banged up. It's taken a couple hours for him to get happy.

He went to the backyard with DH, I was inside, then he went to the front to see his friends. There were a couple parents out there. I guess his toy went into the road and he went after it and tripped and did a face plant. His forehead is bumped & scratched, his nose and under his nose are scratched and his knee is scratched up. He was pretty upset and at bath time every time he looked in the mirror he'd cry.

Has everyone been having a good summer? What exciting new things are your LO's learning/doing?

Our summer is good. I'm amazed by all the knowledge Isaac retains and can tell us. Like that the bees are pollinating. We are just enjoying summer around home/our neighbourhood. I've booked a week off and Isaac and I are going to go to my moms over Halloween. We'll get to see both my sisters and his two little cousins.

6. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@ALV91711: aww poor guy!!

Summer is good here. We aren't going anywhere since I started a new job. But we might try for a long weekend sometime this fall. I can't believe she starts pre-k in a week!

7. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Hard to believe school starts so soon! Is she pretty excited? Here school doesn't start until after labour day, not that it means anything this year.

8. Smurfette

@ALV91711: not really since it is just at her day care. The only change is some of her friends won't be there anymore and she has to wear uniforms. Which she is not excited about.

9. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@ALV91711: poor guy! Sounds like a good tumble!
    Like you, I'm amazed by how much four year olds know! Watching their little minds grow in leaps and bounds is one of my favorite thu he about this stage. I think it's crazy how much they remember, too.

10. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

Summer has been good (not from the "I'm 37 weeks pregnant angle"---that part has been awful! Summer babies are no joke, ladies.), but the boys have had fun and we've done a few shorter trips with them. I'm loooking forward to next summer when we can do a little more camping and long weekend trips. This summer we'be been tied down a lot because my work has been crazy and then not being able to go too far these last few weeks of pregnancy.

The boys start pre-k on Aug. 16 at their new school for the next three years! It's crazy that it feels so "real" with them leaving our daycare and starting at the new place. They start a week and a day after my c-section, so today we went and got all their school supplies, new shoes, haircuts, etc., so I won't have to worry about that while I'm in the hospital.

11. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Mrs. Blue: Their memories are amazing. Which can be great and terrible at the same time. You are going to be having a crazy/good few weeks coming up! Hope that they like their ore k

@Smurfette: Hopefully she doesn't fight you too hard on uniforms. It will make it easier for you during the week.

12. Adira

@ALV91711: Aww!! Sorry to hear about Isaac's spill! Hope he's doing better now!

@Smurfette: Oh wow! R has to wear a uniform for pre-k?? Is that normal for the schools where you are? Will she have to continue to wear a uniform throughout elementary school?

Summer is going well here. We're not doing a ton at the moment. In June we went to a little kids' amusement park with our friends, which was a blast. We've already agreed to do it again next year. And we've visited both of Hubs' parents (one trip was better than the other). We visited my parents over this weekend. But mostly we're just staying home. We are doing swimming lessons, which Xander is getting really into and Logan has no interest in.

I think school starts on September 5th, but Xander might transition to the pre-k class before that, but probably only a week before if anything.

13. Smurfette

@Adira: It is stupid. She goes to Primrose and for whatever reason uniforms are required for Pre-k. When she goes to Kinder she won't have to wear uniforms.
    She LOVES her swim lessons too. She gets so excited about them.

14. Adira

@Smurfette: Oh weird! Oh well, it's only for a year I guess. Hopefully she'll just get used to it and not mind too much.

15. Smurfette

@Adira: I am letting her pick out whatever she wants to wear this week since she has to wear uniforms starting Monday. She doesn't seem super bummed about them yet.........time will tell.

16. Adira

You guys would be so proud of me. I took Xander to TWO birthday parties yesterday! He was exhausted by bedtime, haha.

17. Smurfette

@Adira: Ha!! Good for you! We have one this weekend so after gymnastics, swim lessons, and then a party at a trampoline place, she is going to be exhausted.

18. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yeah, both our parties had bounce houses, so it was a very active day for Xander! He went to bed with no issues. Oh man, you guys do both gymnastics AND swim lessons together?? That's busy!

19. Smurfette

@Adira: Every Sat. She loves gymnastics and needs to learn to swim, so we just do it. If DH was home during the week we could switch gymnastics to a week night. But the class would be done at 6:10, and the baby goes to bed between 630-645. so it would be so rushed trying to get home, get R dinner, and the baby in bed.

I love it when we actually have no plans and can actually just stay home.

20. Adira

@Smurfette: We usually do one or the other (gymnastics or swimming). I'm really liking swimming lessons this time - Xander's finally really getting it! He spent all of our last lesson swimming around with one of those floatie dumbbells to keep him afloat and zero help from a parent. It was awesome! We might do gymnastics next session to mix things up.

21. Smurfette

@Adira: Our plan is to continue swim till next spring and then see where her skills are. We don't get in the water with her anymore. She loves it but we really need to work with her more on it but we don't have a pool.

22. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That sounds fun but exhausting! For now we are a one activity at a time family. We want time for our own things too and weeknights are rushed as they are.

@Smurfette: Swim lessons are so hard to get into at the pools near us so we haven't done those yet. How was getting her in uniform for the first day of pre-k?

23. Smurfette

@ALV91711: It was fine. Although half the class didn't have them on. I guess they didn't get there in time, but luckily she didn't ask about it. We will see how tomorrow goes cause she has worn the two dresses that twirl already.....

24. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Tonight is night 2 with no pull ups. Last night went great, I hope tonight does too. I'll be so happy to stop buying pull ups.

25. Adira

@ALV91711: Good luck!

26. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: another dry night!

27. Adira

@ALV91711: Nice! We haven't tried going without pull-ups at night yet, but Xander only wakes up dry about 50% of the time.

28. Smurfette

@ALV91711: That's awesome. She wakes up dry most of the time, but then some nights she doesn't wake up to pee, so we aren't dropping them anytime soon. I feel bad cause she wants to sleep in panties but nope.

29. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: I wouldn't have thought of trying if he wasn't dry most mornings. My worry is he won't want to go pee when he gets up. When he's in a pull up he refuses to use the toilet.

@Smurfette: I don't think I'd be too inclined to try if I had a baby at home. He's never gotten up in the night to pee, so that worries me. But I told DH we'd try for the week. If it continues this good we will keep going and if he has a bunch of accidents we will go back to pull ups.

30. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: yay for being dry at night, my no. 2 is also getting there. She sleeps without a pull-up most nights and just when she wants to come to our bed she has to put on a pull-up MOTN (I ain't putting plastic liners in my bed ). B has been dry at night for nearly 2 years now.

On another note B got his adenoids taken out today. He is currently sleeping his anesthesia off at home. Babies are sleeping too so some time for HB He'll have to stay home from school the rest of the week but Monday he's allowed to go back.

31. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: Isaac is not liking having to sleep in his bed, he usually sleeps in the spare room. But I'm not buying plastic sheets for all the beds. Hope B is feeling good and recovers quickly.

32. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Pumuckl: Ah I hope he recovers quickly.

Good luck to everybody working on getting rid of pull ups. What an expense to have to keep buying pull ups, man! I didn't realize how lucky we had it with L (he self night trained right away so we really didn't have to deal with it). I hope #2 does too, but realistically, it doesn't seem like that's the norm, so we'll probably be dealing with the night wetting at some point, I'm sure.

33. Adira

So this is random, but have any of you thought about doing allowances? I was thinking of starting an allowance when my son turns 5 or maybe when he starts kindergarten, but I obviously don't know what I'm doing, haha. Thoughts??

34. Smurfette

@Adira: We have talked about giving her money when she does extra stuff around the house. We don't want to give allowance for items she has to do daily (clean her dishes from meals, put her clothes in the hampers, shoes away, etc). But we haven't actually started it yet, cause we can't think of things to have her do.

35. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, I totally get that. When I was growing up, I had an allowance, but it wasn't chores-related. It was just a set amount a week (like a quarter when I was little and eventually $2/week, lol). I kind of want to do that and do the Save, Spend, Share concept. I just don't really know how to start or how much I should start with.

36. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

Thank you for the well wishes everyone. He has done really well and is back to his happy self.

I actually started giving B an allowance of 50 cent per week a while ago but I stopped again because he didn't understand yet. I think we'll start again with his 5th birthday or with the beginning of preschool/kindergarten next summer...

As to the amount of pocket money, there is a official recommendation by the German CPS as to how high the amount per week should be.
    It's 0.50€ for 4-5 years, 1.5-2€ for 6-7 years, 2-3€ for 8-9 and then at age 10 it changes to ~15€ per month and goes up to 35-45€ at age 16-17 and 70€ at age 18.

37. Adira

@Pumuckl: Yeah, I'm thinking of starting an allowance once they start school. Thanks for the official recommendations!

38. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

It has been two weeks with no night time accidents! And he doesn't wake up in the night to pee. Tonight he asked to sleep in the spare room again and I let him.

@Adira: We haven't thought/talked about an allowance. Right now it is everybody helps with household chores. Right now he has no concept of money. I think that maybe once he's in school and gets a grasp on money we will consider an allowance.

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Pumuckl: I really like that there are some guidelines and recommendations. That makes things helpful to figure out.

40. Adira

Summer's officially over! Xander's got his first cold of the fall season. We had to postpone his pizza challenge because of it.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee