Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

How was everyone's holidays??

Xander and Logan had a blast! Xander was so into it this year. Christmas Eve as he's getting ready for bed, he was pretending to be Santa and going "Ho ho ho! I only deliver presents while you're asleep, so go to bed now!" hahaha, so friggin' cute! And then they were so excited Christmas morning. This year they actually opened all their gifts on Christmas day (instead of saving some to open throughout the week like the last couple years). One of their favorite gifts was a PJ Masks bed set and these GUND Dinosaurs. They also loved all their PJ Masks toys (headquarters and figurines from Santa) and some new games. Going Fishing and Hoot Owl Hoot are BIG hits here! And they also got a huge Hot Wheels race track that they love!

2. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Our holidays were great! Christmas was so fun and magical. Isaac got a lot of lego which kept us busy over the cold days. A sled fell off of santas sleigh into our yard which was exciting to find.

Isaac & I were off for 10 days (DH had to work a few) and we only left the house three times it was so cold. The highs ranged from -30 to -40 Celsius (-22F and colder).

3. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@Adira: We had a great Christmas too. Z asked for a teeter totter but was happy with the teeter popper Santa substituted. She was relieved to get her rainbow mermaid Barbie but didn’t really play with it (as expected). DS got train tracks and cars. He’s been lining them up and racing them all over. He also loved his collapsible school bus tent.

Daycare and preschool were closed DH and I took the week off. We visited friends from college with similar aged kids. The weather was good so we got to hang out at the beach.

4. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Adira: we had a nice Christmas and the boys had a blast. They got bunkbeds a month ago so we didn’t do a big gift from us. Several smaller things they liked. Dress up stuff, a toy grill, lots and lots of trucks... I had a lot of time off with them and I actually enjoyed it (when they weren’t fighting!!) we went to the zoo and did some local Christmasy stuff before the cold weather hit. It was really nice.

5. Adira

@ALV91711: Oh my gosh, the sled falling off Santa's sleigh and landing in your yard is such a cute idea!!

@Corduroy: Trains and cars are always a big hit with my kids too! And hanging out at the beach around Christmas just seems so wrong, haha. We've got a blizzard going on here!

@travellingbee: Oooh, bunk beds! Were your boys sharing a room before? I was thinking of putting our two together now that the youngest is potty trained. How is it going having them share?

6. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That was 100% DH's idea. He remembers when that happened when he was a kid. Santa also put some small action figures in the tree.

@Corduroy: The beach would be awesome! Sounds like a good week.

@travellingbee: Bunk beds are awesome. How do they do sharing a room?

7. travellingbee

@Adira: @ALV91711: well they haven’t started sharing yet. Big L is sleeping on the top and Little L will sleep on the bottom after we transition him out of the toddler bed. So for now he is still in his own room. But I can’t wait to get a guest room back!!

8. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

Our Christmas was good. R loved all her stuff, but we had a couple moments were she made comments just to us, that she didn't get very presents this year. Um, 4 days of gifts kid, that is a lot. So we are cutting back on the Mommy can I get this (and I think sure it is $3). Baby turned 1 yesterday and it really is amazing how well R has been this year. She loves her baby sister so much, and it is so sweet with her. I can't wait to see how they play together more this year.

9. Adira

@Smurfette: haha, yeah, my kids were like "Aww, no more presents?" And I'm thinking "Are you serious??? You got more presents this year than the past four years combined!" (Probably not accurate, but it felt like it) I think I need to do another culling and get rid of all their old toys!

Happy Birthday to P! How mobile is she? I found that once Logan was more mobile, they started to really be able to play together. Of course, they ALSO started fighting more... so good luck!

10. Smurfette

@Adira: I want to get rid of so much but then I think well P could play with this. So I think we have to keep everything till P outgrows it. We just got all our stuff back in the house from the floors getting refinished. So this weekend, I need to bring all the new toys from the basement up and find room for them all in the play room. R got a Vampirina and My Little Pony play houses, so I have no clue where they are going to go. Her doll house is already in her room!

P is walking so she is all over the place. Early walker just like her big sister.

11. Adira

@Smurfette: Yeah, I struggled with getting rid of toys when Logan was younger too. Now that he's 3, they are both mainly playing with all the same things, so I think I can get rid of a bunch (I already did, but now that they have new toys, I want to get rid of even more old toys).

It's going to be so fun to watch P grow and see how her and R interact more and more!

12. Smurfette

@Adira: I still need to email you on dairy free alternatives and tips!

13. Adira

@Smurfette: What is she drinking for milk currently? Xander drinks Hemp milk, but I've also heard that Ripple milk is really good and nutritious!

14. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

I am a little late with our update but our daycare was closed for the 2 weeks after Christmas and having all 4 at home is - ummmm - interesting and very loud. The babies are crawling all over the place and the older two are getting annoyed that their legos have to stay in the boxes when the twins aren't napping or that they knock their constructions down. But it was also a lot of fun having them all around. B was really excited before Christmas and really starting to understand the (religious) concept behind it, so that was fun to see.

So the bunk bed has arrived and DH and I were pretty sure that we would just store it for another couple of months until J1 stops napping which will be when she starts preschool in August, since she is the last to go to sleep at night these days. BUT the older two are really, really excited about the prospect of sharing a room so we'll probably set the bed up but keep all the cribs (we have 3 currently) up as well and then just see how it works.

@Smurfette: Oh my god, so many toys here too. I am not sure how to handle it since some of them are not baby proof and for now all our toys are still in our (huge) living room. B doesn't like playing on his own so putting them in his room isn't really an option either. I just hope the twins will stop putting EVERYTHING in their mouth soon.

@Adira: @Smurfette: Can I join in on the dairy free conversation My DD2 (or F) doesn't tolerate dairy (and a lot of other things) well so for now I am dairy free and she is too. She doesn't seem allergic though. She just spits up and has a belly ache...

@travellingbee: When will you transition L to the bunk bed? He is two now right? J1 will be three on Wednesday and she will be so small (she is just a little over 3' tall) in that big bed. But I am sure she will be just fine.

@ALV91711: Love the sleigh idea! We have had a very weird winter so far with a day of snow and then the next or two it would be gone again. So except for once we haven't been able to go play in the snow yet.

@Corduroy: The beach sounds heavenly right now! It's been grey here for weeks on end with very limited sunshine...

15. Adira

@Pumuckl: I can't even imagine what it's like having four mobile children! I can barely keep up with two!!! You are a saint!

Sorry to hear that F is having issues with dairy! Is she okay with soy? For some milk options, we use Hemp milk at home, but I've also heard good things about Ripple milk!

16. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

Isaac got his first stitches today, poor guy. We took him to a small hill to sled for the first time. We tell him one last slide and he gained some good speed, curved the wrong way and hit a pole. He didn't even get near that area on any other slide.

A couple hours in the ER and 6 stitches later and he was as good as new. He was so brave, no screaming or anything. All he had was numbing gel on his head.

He says he will go try sledding again but not at that hill.

Have any of the other kiddos had stitches?

17. Adira

@ALV91711: Awww, poor kid!!! Xander has had liquid stitches before. He banged heads with another kid at daycare and split the skin around his eye. He was only 2 at the time I think. There's a small scar, but it's hardly noticeable now. Feel better, Isaac!!

18. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@ALV91711: Oh no, poor Isaac! B had to nearly get stiches on his lip about a year ago when he fell on a bench at daycare. His pediatrician actually has her kid in the same daycare and she looked at it and said to get it checked out in the ER by the children's surgeon. So we did just that and they said that they could stich it up but that since it wasn't bleeding too heavily that we could just leave it and that the scar from the stiches would probably be about the same or even bigger than when we would just leave it to heal naturally. So no stiches it was...

19. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: He's doing great! If he didn't have a bandage you wouldn't know he was hurt. Liquid stitches would be nice. I'm kind of worried about his stitches not dissolving and having to get them removed.

@Pumuckl: That is awesome to be able to get an opinion before going anywhere. Awesome that he didn't have to get stitches though. Does he have much of a scar?

Anyone thinking birthday parties yet? My mom just booked her flight here for his bday, so I know what day. We are not going to do it at home this year so I've got to start looking into options. I'm leaning toward indoor playground.

20. Adira

@ALV91711: We're doing an indoor inflatable playground for Xander's birthday! This will be the first real birthday party he has, inviting his friends from school. It's his last year at daycare with all these kids, so we wanted to do something special. His party is on March 4th! We've already booked the place and ordered invites.

21. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That is going to be a fun party!! I love the invites.

22. travellingbee

@ALV91711: we’re doing it on the 4th at a indoor play place. His birthday isn’t until the 14th but that’s over spring break so we always have to do before or after. @Adira: super cute invitation!

23. Adira

@ALV91711: @travellingbee: Thanks! Etsy, of course.

24. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@travellingbee: That will be fun.

How many kids are you guys inviting?

25. Adira

@ALV91711: So the thing we booked allows for up to 25 kids. I'm planning on inviting his whole class, which I think is ~15 people. I doubt they will all come, so then I might extend the invite to siblings as well.

26. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That will be a lot even if half come! I really need to look into places and book something.

27. Adira

@ALV91711: Yeah, definitely! But that's why we're holding it somewhere. There's no way I could accommodate that many kids and their parents at our house!

28. travellingbee

@ALV91711: ugh we’re inviting about 30 because there are 24 in his class and several family friends

29. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: Last year we did his party at home. There were 5 kids plus parents and it was crazy! That is why this year we are doing it somewhere else. This morning Isaac said he wanted a bowling party.

@travellingbee: Yikes! That is a lot of kids.

30. travellingbee

@ALV91711: yeah hopefully they won’t all be able to come!!

31. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

We went to an open house for kindergarten last night. All three of us loved the school. The classroom was awesome. It is a Catholic French immersion school. DH took the registration papers in today and Isaac is on the wait list for the afternoon class. They said we'd know next month. Crossing my fingers and toes as I don't know what our back up will be.

32. Adira

@ALV91711: That's so exciting!!! Good luck!!!!

33. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

We went to another kindergarten open house at the end of last week. We liked this school a lot and it is across the road from his daycare. We aren't in the catchment area, so we have to wait until after Easter to know if he will get in. Talking to the admin lady it sounds like he will as they had low enrolment this year.

34. Adira

We had Xander's big birthday party this weekend! We had his friends-party at an indoor inflatable playground. There were around 16 kids and it was a BLAST! I think all the kids had such a fun time! Xander helped me make up favors the night before and he seemed to get a kick out of making them and handing them to all his friends (they were PJ Masks themed, so some coloring pages and markers, stamps, masks, and bracelets). We served pizza and had cupcakes and I think everyone had fun! Doing the private party also allowed all our guests to use the open gym after the party ended for free and a bunch of them did that, which was awesome.

After that, we came home to our family party where we had more pizza and a blueberry cake (Xander's request). Xander also got to open his presents (from family and a few from friends who didn't follow my "no gifts" request, haha). It was a long day, but really fun! I think Xander really enjoyed it!

35. Pumuckl

pomegranate / 3601 posts

@Adira: I cannot believe our babies are turning 5 (or have turned 5!). Sounds like a super fun day. B is still unsure of what kind of party he wants and he is asking for all kinds of things that I have no clue of. I think he hears his friends talk about cartoon characters but then basically doesn't know anything about them because he doesn't watch TV... So we shall see we still have some time though as his party won't be until mid April...

36. Adira

@Pumuckl: haha, I hear that! Xander first heard of PJ Masks from his best friend at school and I had nooooo idea what he was talking about or what he was even trying to say! Finally I was able to decipher "PJ Masks" out of him and was like "Is that a show??" and then looked it up, lol. But NOW he's into something called "Beyblades???" I gather it's a toy/cartoon maybe?? Haven't figured that one out yet and I only know the name because another parent told me!

37. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: That sounds like a really fun day!

@Pumuckl: I'm still in disbelief that they are turning 5! Time is flying.

Isaac kept talking about cat boy and I was so confused. Then we had to get him socks a couple weeks ago and he picked cat boy socks, so I knew he meant pj masks. He watched it for the first time this weekend and is now obsessed.

38. Adira

@ALV91711: PJ Masks is definitely an obsession!! Season 2 is airing now, just so you know.

39. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Adira: lol! We don't get the disney channel so we've been watching episodes on youtube.

40. Adira

@ALV91711: The first season is on Netflix if you have that.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee