Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Spring 2013 Mamas & Toddlers

1. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@Mrs. Blue: It's going to be so cool to watch them grow up together and see what different interests they have and stuff!!

2. twobee

grape / 75 posts

Have been crazy busy lately, but enjoying the updates!

LO's name: C & K

Weight: both girls were around 19.5 pounds at their 12-month appointment - 35th to 50th percentile.

Length: TALL - both in the high 90s by percentile. They have always been on the tall side even though neither of their parents are - I wonder how long this will last!

Number of Teeth: 8 or 9 each. C has molars coming in but it is hard to get a good look.

Clothing Size: mostly 12 months, but growing out of them lengthwise.

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: both walking! Only recently have learned to stand without pulling up on anything. They rarely wore shoes until recently when we realized as it warms up we will want them to be able to walk outside, so we did a weekend-long "shoe camp." C took to them right away but K was like Hank Azaria in The Birdcage (anyone get that reference?). She actually stood glued to the floor for 10 minutes on the first day - she didn't even think she could sit down.

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: probably around 18 to 20 ounces of whole milk from a sippy. another thing we had to do via a boot camp/cold turkey method just before their first birthday - they didn't know how to drink from a sippy on Wednesday but after three days of it being their only option, they were pros. No bottles in our house, no drying rack on our counter... we celebrated by getting a Keurig to fill our newfound counter space.

How many solid meals a day (and how much): 3 meals a day. How much they actually eat varies widely from day to day and meal to meal - as does whether they like certain foods. Bananas, string cheese, meat, and fish are always a big hit.

Any Words: only receptive. They babble constantly but no words. But if you ask them "where's your milk" or "where's your pacifier" or "where are your shoes" in English or Spanish, they clearly know what you are talking about and will point or retrieve the item.

Milestone you're most looking forward to: More words, and more interest in the playground equipment at the park near our house!

How's sleep going: pretty well still - we have been lucky with sleep and apart from a stint of wakeups after the first 45 minutes right around 12.5 months, that continues. They are sleeping later and later too - until 8 or 8:15 some days. They go to bed between 7:30 and 8:30.

Any plans for TTC: not anytime soon, if ever - our house is only sort of big enough for one kid, and we don't plan to move anytime soon!

3. twobee

grape / 75 posts

Curious what you guys do in terms of brushing teeth! We have baby toothbrushes and toothpaste that the girls are crazy over, but they won't let us brush any more - they grab the brushes and run all over their cribs. They move them around but I don't think they do a great job covering their teeth, but they will fight you if you try to take away their toothbrushes or even share their grips!

4. twobee

grape / 75 posts

also, is anyone else still in the world of 2 or 3 naps a day? Our schedule is more consistent now (finally), with a long nap around 10am and maybe an hour at 3pm. But they sometimes need a third nap and don't seem anywhere close to being ready to drop a nap!

5. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@twobee: R started fighting us hard on brushing teeth. So we started using a wash cloth again, and we ask Can Mommy brush your teeth? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This week, I started standing her in the sink after bath, she likes to look at herself in the mirror. She grabs a toothbrush and holds it. So I took the other and asked to brush and she would let me and then I say Your turn and she would chew on them. But progress. We are staying off toothpaste for a while, since that didn't go over well at ALL.
    R is on one nap during the week. But the weekends are still 2 naps.

6. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Hi everyone! I feel like it's been forever since I've been able to post. For those of you who follow me on IG, you know that we moved last Saturday. It's been super busy getting everything settled in our new house but today I'm finally starting to feel like I can doodle around on the internet for a few minutes here and there while P is napping. Of course my first stop is HB! Hello Bee, I've missed you!

Excited for the new Spring 2013 thread! Thanks for setting it up, @Adira!

Here's our update...
    LO's name: Peter
    Weight: Will update after ped appt next week
    Length:

Number of Teeth: 6

Clothing Size: 12 months

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: Walking like a champ. Nonstop, all day long. It's exhausting!

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: No idea! Some meals I give him formula and some meals I give him milk. I've been using a sippy cup a lot and it doesn't have ounces labeled so I'm not sure how much he's drinking but he has plenty of wet diapers and bms so I'm not too concerned.

How many solid meals a day (and how much): 3 full meals a day plus snack. This boy loves his solids and eats like a horse!

Any Words: Still waiting for first word! Sigh, I want him to talk so badly! He says, "Da!" a lot but not in reference to DH so I don't think we can count it. He has been babbling and shouting a lot though so the ped is not concerned at all. I just need more patience!

Milestone you're most looking forward to: Talking! "Mama!"

How's sleep going: Pretty great! He falls asleep between 6-7:30pm, depending on his naps and activity during the day, and wakes up around 6am each night. He usually sleeps for 1.5 hours in the morning and then again in the afternoon.

Any plans for TTC: Not immediate but thinking about this spring or summer. Gah, that seems so soon!

We finally found a daycare near our new house which is such a relief. It's a home-daycare which will be different than our last place. But, Pete (who is going through a clingy phase) was super comfortable as soon as we got there and he started exploring right away. Each baby gets to sleep in their own pack n'play in their own quiet "bedroom" which I think will be helpful for his naps, and she has a beautiful fenced in yard with a ton of toys which I think he will love this spring. We probably won't use this place forever and will try to find more of a traditional center the fall but this place is perfect for the ten weeks between now and my summer break. Oh, and it's $500 less a month than we are used to paying! Win, win.

7. dojo

persimmon / 1223 posts

Hi all! I feel way behind with everyone's updates. I've been crazy with work lately and working on spring cleaning (aka trying to clear all the clutter from my house!)

LO's name: Liam
    Weight: at his 12 mo appt. he was 20 lbs
    Length: 29.1 inches at his most recent appt

Number of Teeth: 6. I think he's been working on another though since the drool has been a little nuts.

Clothing Size: 12-18 months. A couple of 9 month things still too.

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: Just started walking! Still lots of crawling/cruising but he will take steps and daycare says he's been following after his little friend walking around

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: He drinks 2-3 servings of milk at daycare and then nurses in the morning and night.

How many solid meals a day (and how much): Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and 1-2 snacks. He is a great eater most of the time - we are having to start to really factor in how much he eats when cooking meals!

Any Words: Lots of 'talking' Not a whole lot of specific words but he will say 'dog' (as dah), 'ya', mama and dada but not consistently.

Milestone you're most looking forward to: More words and communication

How's sleep going: Meh. He sleeps well for the most part but we still have wake-ups (usually around 4 am) Often he will go back to sleep if we give him a pacifier and pat his back.

Any plans for TTC: no.time.soon.

I never updated after getting lab results from Liam's blood draw that we did due to his low hemoglobin results back at his 1 yr appt. It turned out that he has iron-deficiency anemia (apparently very common but still freaked me out of course -especially when they sent us to the ER!). We have been to see a hematologist and have our follow-up appointment the first week of April so as long as his counts are still going up we shouldn't have to worry about it again! We've been giving him iron supplements twice a day and trying to avoid too much dairy.

8. Adira

@twobee: We currently only have one of those finger brushes. Xander enjoys getting his teeth brushed, but he tends to bite us while we're doing it! And we currently aren't using toothpaste. And Xander's still on two naps a day!

@Smurfette: We always brush Xander's teeth in a way so he can look at himself in the mirror. I think he finds that amusing, which is the only reason it goes over well! I don't think he'd enjoy it if he couldn't watch!

@QueensBee: Wow, that new home daycare sounds great!!

9. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Adira: Yes please! April 9th.

@twobee: That image of K being glued to the floor is hilarious and adorable! For teeth brushing we do it in the bath and I do the best I can since she keeps pushing it out with her tongue and then I let her chew on it for awhile.

@QueensBee: Happy Birthday to P. $500 is a nice chunk of change to save! And it sounds like P will be happy there.

@dojo: Wow the ER sounds scary! Fingers crossed for his appt.

10. Adira

Birthdays
    Feb. 20? - L (@dojo)
    Feb. 22 - J (@Mrs. High Heels)
    Feb. 26 - Xander (@Adira)
    Mar. 6 - K (@shopaholic)
    Mar. 11 - R (@Smurfette), Baby Dudes (@Mrs. Blue)
    Mar. 14 - L (@travellingbee)
    Mar. 17 - J (@silver1)
    Mar. 18 - K (@sheskrafty)
    Mar. 21 - Isaac (@ALV91711), Peter (@QueensBee)
    Mar. 26 - Vi (@Arden)
    Mar. 28 - C (@jodyblair)
    Apr. 9 - H (@AprilFool)

11. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

Toddlers!!! Posting so I can come back later. My laptop power cord broke and needs to befixed, on my tablet gah !! Miss my keyboard.
    @sheskrafty: hope K had a great birthday!!!"

12. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@twobee: We brush teeth in the bath. If DH does it he uses the finger one and if I do it I use the one that is like a toothbrush with rubber ends. We have a baby toothpaste that we sometimes use. The odd night he won't let us do it, but he usually doesn't mind.

For naps I think we are on the transition to one. Usually he has a short morning nap and a longer lunchtime nap. The last couple weeks he has had a bunch of days with just one two hour nap. At daycare especially this week he has only taken one nap, so we will see what he does this weekend.

@QueensBee: Happy Birthday to Peter for tomorrow, just in case I don't get on here. Can you believe these boys are 1?! I hope you are getting all settled into your new place. Sounds like a good day home that you have found, I hope that it works out.

@dojo: Good to hear that his counts are going up. I hope that it continues.

9pm and Isaac is fighting sleep like there is no tomorrow. He had his bath at 5:45 and just won't settle down. He has fallen asleep numerous times but keeps waking up. Poor monkey is going to be so tired tomorrow.

13. shopaholic

bananas / 9973 posts

OMG Ladies! K went down for her nap at 6pm and it's 8pm and she's still asleep! Nap was a little late because we were out walking and then she took awhile to settle down. Proof that she likes to sleep in complete darkness! I decided not to purposely wake her up - maaayyybe she'll STTN? I just hope she doesn't get up at 6am for the day or something. Actually trying to enjoy some wine and TV for once!

14. Smurfette

@ALV91711: @QueensBee: Happy Birthday to I and P!!! Hope you all have a great day!!! Welcome to toddlerhood!!
    @ALV91711: Sounds like P and R had the same night. I put her in the crib at 7ish. And at 10 she finally went asleep. A little after 9 after rocking, patting, CIO, even tried a bottle, I let her play for a bit. She was so tired and just stood around. She was excited to see Daddy when he got home. She then pooped and then 20 mins later she finally lost the battle. Woke up at 645 though. Glad that there are 3 other kids today at day care, hopefully she takes a long nap.
    @shopaholic: How did it go last night?

15. ALV91711

pomelo / 5621 posts

@Smurfette: Thanks, I don't think I'm ready for a toddler!!

My kid had two naps at daycare today. The first for 30 min and then his afternoon nap was 2 hours and 40 min!! Why does he not sleep this well at home.

Tonight was a bit better of a night. He is still going through some separation anxiety and at home has to be right near me. He refused his bath again but went to bed easier.

And when I picked him up today he only cried a bit and then waved goodbye to his little friends, it was so cute. Yesterday when I picked him up he was sitting in a little chair at a little table and looked like such a kid instead of a baby. Broke my heart a little.

16. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Smurfette: Thanks so much!! The fact that he is a "toddler" makes me feel better when he throws a fit when he doesn't get his way. Although I still can't believe it!

How did R fall asleep tonight? Back to normal or still struggling?

@ALV91711: Happy Birthday to Isaac!! Wow, a 2 hr 40 minute nap at daycare- that's crazy! I wish Pete napped like that ever. All the excitement of daycare must tucker him out. I love that he waved goodbye to his little friends! I hope the separation anxiety improves. Pete has been a bit clingy these days too...

17. Smurfette

@ALV91711: I am sure he is having some separation axtiety. Missing his Mama!! Glad he napped good and hopefully keeps it up at home!! Don't the chairs and table kill you!
    @QueensBee: I worked really hard to keep her up in the car. So she was passed out 5 mins after DH read to her and put her in the crib. She napped 2 hours at day care so that was a great improvement!

Ladies, don't give sippy cups with milk in the car. My car smelled awful today. Her cup spilled Tues morning and I thought I cleaned it up. But it got to almost 70 today, and the smell made me realize it leaked all in the base and under neath the padding. We had to bring in the car seat and break out Qtips to get it clean.

18. Mrs. Blue

blogger / pomelo / 5361 posts

@ALV91711: @QueensBee: Happy birthday, Peter & Isaac! Big TODDLERS!

19. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

LO's name: J
    Weight: 22.5 pounds
    Length: 31" tall
    Number of Teeth: 6
    Clothing Size: 18 mo
    Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: J started cruising around early feb, he mostly still crawls and a fast one. He has recently started trying to stand without holding on to furniture.
    How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: around 12 ounces of whole milk from a sippy during the day and finishing up formula and frozenbm in am and night bottles. Don't have timeline yet to fully bottle wean, I love our cuddle time at night and not ready to give it up yet.
    How many solid meals a day (and how much):2- 3 meals a day with snack of bananas and strawberries. He is still getting over cough and eating is a hit or miss past few weeks.
    Any Words: mama, baba, bye, lala and babbles a lot.
    Milestone you're most looking forward to: Walking, more words, and can't wait for some warm weather to take him to the park and playground!!!
    How's sleep going: pretty well about 12 hrs 7:ish to 6:30ish. - he used to cry if I put him in crib awake but lately a switch seems to have gone on. He just talks to himself and falls asleep no crying!!!
    Any plans for TTC: not yet
    @ALV91711: @QueensBee: Happy birthday I & P!! Hope you had a wonderful day and lots of fun!!
    @ALV91711: I brought him to bed this morning to hang out he was lying next to me and Iwas thinking who is this little kid!!! DH has been on me to cut his hair that is the only thing still makes him look like a baby!!

20. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

Duplicate

21. keepcalmcarrie

persimmon / 1096 posts

Trying to post from my phone, hope this works!

LO's name: Jack
    Weight: Almost 26 lbs (my back is killing me)
    Length: 30.5 inches

Number of Teeth: 8

Clothing Size: Moving from 12-18 to 18-24 months, but his legs aren't as long as the rest of him so a lot of pants are rolled up, so funny!)

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: Crawling, cruising, and stomping around holding onto my fingers (again, my back... We probably all need deep tissue massages!)

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: 16 oz - one 8 oz bottle first thing in the morning and one 8 oz bottle at bedtime. He won't drink formula from a sippy and our experiment with lactaid was iffy at best (terrible blow outs diapers, but he was a little sick too, so we might try again soon). The dairy issues haven't cleared up yet, unfortunately.

How many solid meals a day (and how much): 3 solid meals. How much? A LOT. He's almost entirely on finger/table foods now, and he double fists his food, it's a little horrifying. Eggs or a waffle for breakfast, usually leftovers or hummus/bread/fruit for lunch, and whatever we're having for dinner. He had a big plate of taco meat tonight at our favorite Mexican place, which was both funny and gross. His face was plastered with ground meat

Any Words: I think Dada is the only one we can officially call a word. He says that on purpose, but still sporadically. Lots of "yayayaya" and other babbling. He does say mama sometimes (usually when I leave and he wants me back, actually) - but it's rare! We're working on that!!

Milestone you're most looking forward to: Talking

How's sleep going: He's a great sleeper, with the occasional stretch of night waking a (maybe 2-3 days each month?) he's usually asleep between 7-8 PM and sleeps 12 hours, then a 1 he nap in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon.

Any plans for TTC: actively trying for #2!!!

22. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Smurfette: Must be something in the water because we had a terrible night!! 2 and a half hours to get her down after full on hysteria. Put her down... screams, calm her and repeat. She finally fell asleep on my chest. Then woke at 12 for 2 hours and up for the day at 5:30. I am exhausted!!! 2hr nap at day care is awesome and thanks for the tip about the milk. Ew!!

@ALV91711: Happy birthday to I!!

@keepcalmcarrie: We have a portion problem over here too! I have to give her a few bits at a time otherwise she's grabbing a huge handful and shoving it in.

23. Adira

@ALV91711: @QueensBee: Gahhh, I'm the worst!!!! Happy Belated Birthday to both your boys!!!

24. Adira

@shopaholic: What time does she usually go down for bed for the night? I hope she ended up STTN for you!

@ALV91711: I'm thankful that the room Xander's in doesn't have a little table with chairs. I don't think I could handle seeing Xander sit at one of those!!

@Smurfette: Ugh, that totally sucks about the car seat mess! But thanks for the warning!! No milk in the car in a sippy - got it!

@keepcalmcarrie: I think carrying these kids, running around after them, crawling with them, and bending over so they can walk around holding us is why we were all SUPPOSED to have children in our late teens/early twenties! Being responsible and not having a baby until 30 was a bad idea on my part... at least in terms of my back pain!

Also, have you tried an alternative milk? I think lactaid still has dairy, doesn't it? You might have better luck with almond/coconut/hemp/soy milk. Not sure what your dairy issues have been though!

25. Adira

OMG, replying to everyone made me forget why I came on here in the first place, haha.

I wanted to ask how it's going for those of you who have eliminated bottles. Xander only drank 7.5 oz today (though I was able to give him 4 oz of yogurt, so he did get MORE "dairy" than the past few days). Just curious how it's going for everyone else!

26. Smurfette

@Adira: I am not measuring it. As long as she had wet diapers I am ok. I can't force her to drink. I just make sure to offer dairy at least twice a day with food as well.

27. NavyRN2012

persimmon / 1447 posts

LO's name: Finley
    Weight: We haven't been to our 1 year checkup yet, but I'm guessing 25 lbs.
    Length: Probably 28-29 in.

Number of Teeth: 5, working on our 6th.

Clothing Size: 24 months. She's got some thick thighs!

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: Running, everywhere!

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: She gets 2 sippy cups of milk/day. No more formula!

How many solid meals a day (and how much): 3, she eats whatever we are eating.

Any Words: Bubba, mama, and dada.

Milestone you're most looking forward to: more talking!

How's sleep going: Great! About 12 hours/night with 2 naps.

Any plans for TTC: Not quite yet.

28. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

H was completely uninterested in the whole milk I gave her. Even pretended to forget how to use a straw. Hmm silly baby!

29. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I got an electric breast pump when LO was maybe 8 months old. I pumped for a while then, but never got more than an ounce at a time, I figured my supply was just really well established, so I wasn't making any extra.
    I took a break from it, but am starting again because I'm trying to plan a spa day with friends which would mean 6 or 7 hours away from LO, and in June we are going away overnight, probably for about 14 hours total. She does eat a lot of food, but I hadn't really planned on introducing any other milk until I get sick of breastfeeding or she weans herself.
    So....anyway. I started trying to use the pump again and I'm getting absolutely NOTHING. Like, maybe one drop on the flange, nothing even makes it into the bottle. I pumped for 20 minutes 2 hours after a feed and got nothing. I've tried it for 15 minutes a few times as well...nothing.

I'm especially worried about the overnight, because I anticipate she will still be nursing before bed, and will want milk with us gone. What should I do? There must be a way to adjust my milk supply at this point to make a little extra- or am I screwed?
    I have 3 oz in there now, but we are going to use it this week because I am teaching a class that will run past her bedtime.

30. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Adira: I would say about 6-8oz during day plus am and night bottles around 8oz each.
    @Silva: maybe try a manual? sorry no clue hope it works out!!

We went to 1 yr appt and shots actually just the mmr, varicella will be at next appt. LO kept shaking his head no to the doc whenever she looked at him and he was on my lap. So funny!! Pedi. also checked weight and he is 22.9 pounds. Just a week back for sick visit he was 22.5 with clothes on. Looks like he is catching up on apetite. Pedi. wanted us to start on table food and iron rich foods. Unfortunately he has very strong gag and throws up so we have been feeding mostly purees so far. Lately he does seem to eat his mum mums and puffs ok so hopefullly its a good sign he is ready for some real food.

31. Adira

@Silva: What kind of pump are you using? Are you sure the flange is the correct fit? Can you try adjusting the speed and/or suction? I hope you're able to figure it out!

@silver1: Your LO is doing better with table foods than mine is! We're still just on purees as well and Xander won't even eat puffs at all! And if I give him any of the "3rd Foods" purees with chunks, he gags or just spits them out again!

So I forgot to mention - we did Xander's blood draw this weekend! He did NOT enjoy it! At this age, they had to get a vein, so we went on the weekend and Hubs held Xander and had to restrain him while another tech held Xander's arm and the main tech drew blood! I almost cried because Xander was so upset!!! And when they were finished and released him, he practically threw himself into my arms! And once I was holding him, he pretty much stopped crying immediately! Any one else have to do a blood test yet for their LOs??

32. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Adira: a pump in style. I turn the suction all the way up, but will check the flanges. I have no idea how to pump. It's amazing to me that people do this multiple times a day for months.

33. Smurfette

@Silva: I was going to say hope @Adira: chimes in! She is the pumping expert. I have no idea why you won't get anything. So weird! Could you try before LO eats? First thing in the am when they are full?
    @Adira: we haven't had to do that. Poor Xander! At 9 months, R got pricked and they tested her iron then. It was fine so they didn't have to redo at 12 months.

OMG! Toddler throws downs started today! Crying when she didn't get her way. Luckily she calmed down fast. DH felt her gums in the bath. The bottom molars are right there and it looks so painful! Top are swollen but don't look like they are breaking through.
    We did two naps this weekend but I think we have to go to one. She fought afternoon nap and bedtime HARD this weekend.

34. silver1

apricot / 338 posts

@Adira: Yup we did blood draw as well. I was hugging him and doc took free arm for blood. He was already crying for sitting him on exam table and it was not much different from shot just a few more seconds to keep him restrained. I get so upset everytime but its gotten better over the appts.

35. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Adira: @silver1: what is the blood draw for? I know we need to check her iron and lead levels- I guess they will have to do a full draw for that? Yikes

36. Smurfette

@Silva: mine just did a finger prick.

37. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Smurfette: oh, awesome. I wondered if that would work. I freak out about my own blood draws!

38. jodyblair

kiwi / 611 posts

Hi everyone! I haven't updated in here in so long, so I thought I'd join in

LO's name: Carter

Weight: We don't go for his 12 month visit until next week, but I'm guessing about 18 lbs

Length: Maybe 28-29 inches?

Number of Teeth: 8

Clothing Size: Mostly 6-12 months

Cruising, Crawling, or Walking: Crawling and starting to cruise a little with the right motivation (remote, phone, ipad)

How many ounces of formula/BM/milk per day: He's still nursing 3-5 times a day but he is quickly loosing interest. If I didn't offer, I don't think he would really miss it.

How many solid meals a day (and how much): 3 meals a day with the occasional afternoon snack thrown in. He eats what we eat for the most part and I love watching him try new foods.

Any Words: I don't think he means any of them, but he says Mama, Dada, and bye bye

Milestone you're most looking forward to: Walking and saying mama and dada intentionally

How's sleep going: He's a pretty good sleeper! He takes 2 naps for about an hour to an hour and a half. Usually sleeps from about 7pm-7am with a wake up around 5 to nurse.

Any plans for TTC: Not for at least another year...but the baby fever is definitely starting to hit.

39. AprilFool

nectarine / 2591 posts

@Silva: I haven't pumped in months and have the same problem. I went out the other week and missed a feed and tried to pump and it was pitiful. The only thing I can suggest is when you use the 3oz can you pump then?

40. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@AprilFool: probably when I get home. I guess I should have kept up with pumping regularly!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee