Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Winter 2015 Fitness/Weight Challenge

1. Smurfette

GOLD / wonderful coconut / 33402 posts

@lizzywiz: I think 4 days is good. I don't drink during the week now. Some nights it really sucks!
    @sandy: 1/2 is great!

2. Adira

wonderful pomelo / 30692 posts

@lizzywiz: I'm doing the same thing, except with soda. No soda Monday - Thursday!

3. lizzywiz

persimmon / 1178 posts

thanks for the props, ladies- habits are so hard to break!

feeling kinda proud: last night and tonight I REALLY wanted nachos. Knowing it is not my style to do moderation (read: eat less than a family of 4), I knew it was best to avoid it all togther. For the first time in a looooooong time, I practiced some self discipline (exercise isn't hard for me, diet is) and had a broth based veggie soup with just a sprinkle of cheese both nights.
    Tomorrow night I might indulge because it is our only shared evening off, and we are going out, but who knows? Maybe I'll order salad. Either way, two days of not over indulging myself is such a win!

4. Smurfette

We had Rs party tonight. I did not have a cupcake, potato salad, or beer. Who am I??

5. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

@Smurfette: great job resisting - it's so hard to make good food choices when treats are all around you, but you did it!!!

6. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

This week wasn't great food wise, but I went for 4 walks. I hope to keep it up! And hopefully start having more will power with food.

7. Adira

@lizzywiz: Totally impressed you avoided the nachos! I'm the same way with moderation - I can't just have a regular "serving" of something! Good for you!

@Smurfette: Yay!! Good for you avoiding the temptation at R's party!

@Peasinapod: That's great that you went for a few walks. Exercise has been hard for me, so I'm trying to focus on food instead, but that's hard too!!

I'm down a pound this week though, so I'm relieved that my healthy eating during the week is paying off, even if the weekends haven't been so stellar.

8. lizzywiz

persimmon / 1178 posts

@Smurfette: 'Who am I??' Made me giggle, because this is a really feeling for me.
    Sometimes it is a weird feeling. Like what do I do with myself if I am not going to be eating?

@Peasinapod: I went off the wagon with purpose last night and back on today. Here we go!

@Adira: I know tons of week day only dieters who have a lot of success! a pound a week is great so it is clearly working for you, too

9. Smurfette

@Peasinapod: @Adira: Good job to both of you!

10. sarac

pomelo / 5093 posts

Well I was feeling very proud of myself for riding 16 miles on Friday - and then I felt lousy all weekend. Just sore and crummy and way less energy to do fun stuff. I guess I just need to accept that that's way beyond my current capacity, and reel it back in.

11. hilary

apricot / 364 posts

All 3 kids are at the sitter's this morning to work out any kinks before I go back to work so I got to go on a run (and take a long shower!). 2 miles at an epically slow pace but felt good. Cardio is the only thing that works to help me lose weight so I need to find time to fit this in more regularly.

Also going to cut out desserts. How is it March and I'm still blaming the holidays for my non stop sweet cravings? Any one else cut sugar?

12. lizzywiz

persimmon / 1178 posts

@sarac: I know what you mean. For me it was so different before baby- being very sore was a badge of a 'good' workout- but now I hate running after a toddler if I pushed it too hard and my body aches. 0 satisfied + grumpy. Yuck.

@hilary: well, I cut out alcohol Sunday- Thursday, which has epically increased my post dinner sweet cravings and I am trying to keep those under wraps. Does that count?

13. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@hilary: I did cut out sugars all of January and February. It was torture as I have such a sweet tooth. But it definitely helped me lose!

Well, I met my goal and I went to Mexico and wore a bikini. I actually felt very confident! I ate and drank a ton there and really enjoyed myself, but gained 5 lbs back. So time to get back on the wagon. I think some of it must have been water weight because 2lbs came back off this morning. Anyway, back to being good!

14. hilary

apricot / 364 posts

@travellingbee: 2 months! I'm trying to cut it out for one month and just hoping that's enough to not crave it as much. So glad you felt confident on your vacation. Nice work.

@lizzywiz: I'm pretty sure cutting out 'Mama juice' as we call it at my house would make no one happy. That's will power.

15. Smurfette

@travellingbee: Yay to wearing a bikini!
    I was good on Sat during her party but then ate a ton of M&M's on Sun and Mon. I am up 3lbs. Drinking water like crazy today, so it will go away!

16. Mrs. Taco

pear / 1639 posts

@travellingbee: Yay! Hope you had a wonderful vacation!

@Smurfette: Love me some M&Ms! They were BOGO at publix the other week and even though I resisted buying, my friends bought 4 bags and we went to town that weekend. Worth it.

Been awhile since I've updated but things have been going pretty well over here. I've managed to keep up the working out but my snacking at night is a little excessive so the scale isn't moving. Oh well. My focus right now is my 10k this Saturday--it is my first race and I am SUPER nervous. I've been raising money for the family of a fallen officer so I know my "time" will be out there when I share the results with everyone who donated. I know no one really cares but I want to have a good time! The weather is going to be really hot and humid (high of 87 that day!) so hopefully I'll be able to handle it.

Any advice from those bees who have done anything from a 5k to a marathon?!

17. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@Mrs. Taco: I did my first 10k race a few months before I got pregnant it was my Favorite race ever! (I've done a few 5ks they didn't feel as good) my advice would be start out at a pace you feel good at. Your average training pace. As you get further gauge how much steam you've got left and up your pace based on that. It's a great feeling to have the energy for a strong finish rather than gassing out early on. Even if your time would end up being the same. Morning of I'd eat oatmeal or something that won't be bouncing around in your tummy but will also sustain you. Good luck

18. Peasinapod

clementine / 770 posts

@Smurfette: @Adira: @lizzywiz: thanks for the encouragement guys! Pre baby healthy eating and fitness came so easy to me. 6 months of sleep deprivation and I have lost all will power. Starting to feel more like myself.

19. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Mrs. Taco: Relax and have fun! 10k is my favorite distance. One of the things I do, especially when it's hot, is to walk through the water stops. Also, carry your own water with you just in case. From what I've seen on IG, you are pretty fast, but I've been the caboose in a few small races and water stops shut down before I got to them.

20. Mrs. Pen

blogger / wonderful cherry / 21616 posts

Sorry for the hiatus - I've missed so much! you are all doing great - nachos is my weakness too haha!

@sarac: since I haven't biked since October, I'll probably have to start with the six mile trail first before going back to the 12 mile. I know the feeling!

So I've been SO good this week and I'm so proud. I really hope it starts to show soon. I'm having a really hard time with body image and just want to fit into my clothes again.
    I've been measuring out all of my food, staying within serving sizes, and have managed to stay below 1500 calories a day this entire week. In addition, I've worked out every day this week - all of them have been about 400 calorie workouts.

My first goal is just getting back to the weight I was in August. I have no idea how I gained so much weight so fast, but last semester was pretty rough for me. I still have 18 lbs to go, but I've lost 5 lbs in the last month.

21. lizzywiz

persimmon / 1178 posts

@Mrs. Pen: I also have no idea how I gained the amount when I did. I have been on this weight loss roller coaster before. There were periods of time I lived on corn and fiber one and kept it under 1,000 (totally unhealthy, I know, but I was 19 and weird, what can I say?) I KNOW portion size and calories and whatnot. But when I gained this weight? 7 pounds in one month. No idea how. and then it kept creeping up. I knew I needed to exercise more/ eat less, but I guar-an-damn-tee you, I wasn't eating an extra 3,500 calories a week.
    Age + hormones + stress...it's for the birds, I tell ya!

The good news- lost another 1/4 inch on my tummy! cutting down booze was totally worth it!

The bad news- epically bad day (truly, angry tears were involved), so having a beer on my no-beer day, yay!

22. Mrs. Pen

@lizzywiz: I feel for you but thank god I'm not the only one. I was 170 in August and 193 in February - WHAAT! I haven't been this heavy since I was pregnant. It's crazy to me. And I'm only 25 - it shouldn't be this hard for me yet but I think that unless I exercise consistently, it's not going to stay off. And same here - I wasn't eating super bad, but I wasn't really working out either. It was a really bad semester though.

And don't ever feel bad about needing an alcoholic pick-me-up! Cheers! And hope tomorrow is looking up

23. Mrs. Taco

pear / 1639 posts

@lizzywiz: Beer is always warranted with bad news! I hope the past few days have been better!

Hi ladies! How is everyone doing?

Just wanted to give a brief update and see where everyone else is at. (Sorry for those on IG who already read this!) I finished my 10k race on Saturday and it went even better than expected. I ran it in 52:44 an 8:29 pace! I placed 21st out of 281 in my age division and 114 out of 2007 woman, that's the top 5%. I'm really happy with my results and the amount I was about to raise for my cause. Now see why people get addicted to races!

As for after the race, I am totally unmotivated. I am ready for Mexico next week and would be happy to maintain this week without working out haha! Mexico and then hopefully a BFP (I got AF the morning of the race--I was bummed because running with AF sucks but then I realized that the timing worked out perfect for TTC on our trip )

24. Adira

@Mrs. Taco: Wow!!! That sounds like a really fast time, especially for a 10k! Good for you!! And totally jealous you're going to Mexico soon. Hope you have good luck with TTC while on vacation and get a BFP soon!

I ate like crap last week because I was sick. Luckily I didn't gain, but I didn't lose either. Trying to get back on track this week.

25. Smurfette

@Mrs. Taco: That is awesome! Have a wonderful trip and good luck TTC!

I ate some candy/pasta/beer on Sunday and I gained 3lbs. Damn water weight. Not going to weight myself for a couple days. We leave in 10 days and I am over my 15lbs goal but I was really hoping to be down 20. But I hit 17lbs over a week ago, but now am up again and I can't lose it. I am buckeling down this next upcoming week.

26. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@Smurfette: wow, that's a lot of weight lost!
    I've been so bad about exercise because I can't find my stupid fit bit charger.

27. Smurfette

@travellingbee: Thanks! on the plus side one of honeymoon bikini's fit. I feel like I still have a little muffin top, where it is tight on my hips but DH told me I look great. My favorite I still can't wear but I think I will be able to by November if I stick with it.

28. Adira

@Smurfette: Ugh, sorry that that one splurge bit you. But totally agree, it's just water weight!

29. Crystal

grapefruit / 4028 posts

Sorry for the hiatus- I have been having trouble actually starting lately. I have every intention, but laziness wins every time. Stupid lack of motivation. I started working out with some friends from work this week, and have planned decently healthy meals, so I'm feeling good. I need to quit dragging my feet and get on with it!

@Smurfette: 17lbs is great!!! And hopefully the water weight will leave soon.

30. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

@Smurfette: that's so amazing you fit into your honeymoon bikini!

31. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

I never thought I'd be in this place where it's so hard to lose weight. I can't believe March is more than half over! I don't think in going to meet my goal of losing 10 lbs but I'm not giving up.

I definitely indulged this weekend bc it was my birthday weekend and I wanted to enjoy it. And now I'm up 2 lbs. So now it's time to get back on track!

32. Smurfette

@sandy: now if I only looked as good in the suit!

And so annoying how the weight comes back so easily. So frustrating.

33. namaste

persimmon / 1313 posts

@sandy: Good luck!

@Smurfette: Way to go!

My biggest goal is to survive Bikram! I want to do it the day before my birthday (April 3) but I have injuries from a fall last week that are hindering my practice.

I'm proud of myself for adding weights into my workout routine and to try running again. Once I'm healed up, I hope to do more. I've also eliminated most processed foods now and am cooking almost every day so I'm in a much better place than when I started this challenge.

So glad to read all of your updates!

34. Mrs. Pen

@Mrs. Taco: that's an amazing accomplishment!! Go you!!!
    I am not a runner at all - I equate it to torture, so I am in awe of people who can run!

@Smurfette: you are so such an inspiration! I remember posting with you last summer on the weight loss thread and it's amazing to see how far you've come!

I had a really great week last week - I was on "spring break" and hit a 6-day workout streak. Several of the days I did workouts that burned 800+ calories. I also ate like a champ - I stayed under 1400 calories for everyday except Saturday when I went out to lunch with a friend.

I'm still not down any more weight though. I dropped 5 lbs so fast, and now I'm stuck again. I know if I keep at it though it will drop.

35. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

@Mrs. Pen: 800+ calories burned is amazing!!! And staying within your calories while working so hard is awesome!!!

36. Mrs. Pen

@sandy: Thank you!!!! One of the days I did 800 calories I was so proud because it meant I only took in about 400 calories total for the day - and I still hit my protein and nutrient goals. I use MFP to track and it makes it so easier to make sure I'm getting everything I need, but staying within goal too. I do think it's weird how MFP counts calories burned as calories you earn back to eat - doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I try to avoid eating them back - but I do notice on high-intensity exercise days I tend to be a little hungrier so often I'll eat back a little bit of it. I just try to make sure it's healthy.

37. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

Now that the weather is nice, I've been trying to add in a 1-mile walk on my lunch break. It's been so great because I've been sick and I haven't been able to run as much. Our eating went to crap because all three of us were sick at once last week, so we're getting back on the healthy eating train this week and already I feel so much better.

38. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

When i'm feeling in a slump I look at my progress on MyFitnessPal to try and refocus. From the end of November have lost a total of 15 lbs. I have 15 left to go to get to my first weight loss goal. I only lost 3 lbs since the beginning of February. I hope I can lose 2 more lbs by the end of March. That will mean I only lost 5 lbs for this winter weight loss challenge (my goal was 10) but that's better than nothing!

LO and I are tagging along and joining DH for a business trip. We're going to Vegas and I am a little sad that none of my summer clothes fit bc it's hot there (80s) and that I'm still in maternity jeans. we're going in mid April so that's my motivation to try and lose a few more pounds!

39. sandy

cantaloupe / 6687 posts

@Mrs. Pen: I think that's weird too how it will add back your calories!

40. Mrs. Pen

@sandy: I am in the same boat. My summer clothes from last summer don't fit, I gained a lot this winter! I've basically lived in leggings the past few months because it's all that fits. I just feel gross about it! I like MFP for that reason too- I've been using it since 2010 so it's been interesting to see the fluctuations. I have noticed a trend that if I don't exercise - it only takes a few months for my weight to skyrocket. I really need to stay consistent.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee