Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker and I'm so thankful for all of the helpful info I've found on this site.

I've been very concerned about my son's speech since he was about 9 months old. He's now 16.5 months and may have lost some words he's said before.

At his 9 month appt, I expressed my concern to his pedi that he didn't babble much with consonants, just cooing. She said not to worry unless I don't hear any consonants by 12 months. At 10 months he finally started babbling babababa mamama.

I should also add that he always met his milestones on the latter end of what would be considered the average time for it - rolling over, crawling, etc.

At 13 months, still no words. I had him evaluated for EI for various reasons - speech, lack of sustained eye contact, doesn't always respond to name, toe curling, hand flapping. He tested with flying colors and she said he was absolutely normal. Problem solving, fine motor, cognitive all close to 24 month. Gross motor, social, and communication were all on track. She said not to worry about speech because he grows up in a bilingual household, the toe curling they have until 3 to lose the reflex, the hand flapping is ok when they are excited as long as they stop when you tell them to stop. And she said his eye contact was very good. He warmed up to the OT right away and was playing with her and engaging with her.

At 16.5 months, these are the words he can say, mama is no longer one of them is this considered a regression or a delay?
let me add that he never came up to me and said mama, the only times i heard mama was when he i would come home from work and he popped up from his nap and said mama or mom. or maybe calling me mama just isn't important because i'm now around 24/7 (i'm a teacher on summer break)

is this normal? should i get him evaluated for EI again? i don't think he's going to qualify for EI because he's not delayed in any other areas.

his pedi wants to wait until 18 months to make a speech referral through insurance.

the first 9 words on the list are the only words i hear on a daily basis.

pls help. thanks for reading this far.

1. aht (sp?) = chinese for duck
2. row row = chinese for dog
3. bu = bus, truck
4. bao = chinese for bread
5. ba = banana
6. ball = ball
7. fiss = fish
8. chay = highchair tray
9. chain = train

10. cah = car (very rarely)
11. ss = keys (sometimes)
12. gai/guys = grass (very rarely)
13. bah boh = bubble (sometimes)
14. ss = yes
15. ah-bo/pole = apple (very rarely)
16. pad = ipad
17. trash = gras? (haven't heard this for awhile)
18. clean = clean (tries to repeat this)
19. pop = pop (tries to repeat this)
20. owl = owl (not sure if he really knows this or just coincident)
21. jew = juice (havent heard this one for awhile tho)
22. zip = zip (tried to repeat this, but hasn't for awhile)
23. Our = flower (hasn't said this for awhile)
24. Go = go (hasn't said this for awhile)
25. Ba/bom = box