Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2015 Mamas!

1. Mrs. Sunshine

hostess / cantaloupe / 6486 posts

@ineebee: wow 2cm!!! So exciting!

2. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@SunshineMcC: your shower looks like it was amazing! Love the photos and those signs on the punch bowls.

@ineebee: 2cm! Keep us updated... makes it seem like our little group is almost there!

@NeekieRose: thanks for sharing your experience. It is still my hope that the baby will flip on his own too! I'm glad to know that your c-section was a good experience.

As I said, I've come round to the idea of a c-section, but my main reservation is that I did not respond well to a surgery I had a year and a half ago, so I am still a little concerned with my body's ability to cope with another surgery.

At any rate, I had my NST and OB appointment today - baby is still definitely breech and my OB, who is very pro-ECV, really encouraged me to book in for an ECV late next week, which will be 37.5 weeks. After discussing it with her at length, I booked in for the ECV for next Thursday, but I would say I am only 70% committed at this stage and may pull out - I want to talk to DH about it more and do some more research. And of course I am hoping he will flip on his own before then!

3. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

1cm dilated here. BP was great, baby B is still transverse and my provider did the GBS swab. I was really happy though because my OB who delivered ds stopped doing OB and so I switched to my new OB for the twins. Well she told me he specifically asked if he could assist on my c-section. I'm so excited to have them both at the birth. She had assisted on my first so it seems kind of special to have them as my team again. I can't believe they're here in 2.5 weeks!!

4. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@lulu22: Best of luck on your ECV! I really hope you have a better experience than I did. It seems pretty 50/50 with people on HB. And of course I hope baby flips first instead.

5. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@marionberry: so exciting! And great news about your drs! Wow, 2.5 weeks that's so soon!

6. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

I had my 37 week appt this morning, which also included my GBS test. My doc did it herself (one vaginal swab, one rectal), and it wasn't so bad. My doc also confirmed that the blood in my urine last week turned out to be nothing to worry about (i.e., not a UTI), and it wasn't present this morning. She said it could have been part of my mucus plug or from a small scratch. The other piece of news was that she was putting me on sick leave starting on Monday - so Friday is my last day of work! So surreal, but it means that I'll have a couple of weeks (maybe!) to relax at home and get ready for baby. At this point, it's just mental preparation, as we have mostly everything ready. Hospital bag is even packed! Perhaps I'll start in on some freezer meals.

@Lulu22, @Boopers, @Banana330: Speaking of which, thanks for those ideas! I've never planned freezer meals before. Is there a preferred way to package them so that they don't get freezer burnt? What works best? Glad freezer bags (double bagged or not), regular tupperware containers, foil packages, or something else entirely?

@Ineebee, @Marionberry: So exciting to hear that you've both started to dilate already. I asked my doc this morning about cervical checks, and her response was that she waits for the results of the Group B test, and if it's negative, then she will check my cervix if I request it. She limits the check to only 2-3 times in the last couple of weeks before labour, however.

@SunshineMcC: We aren't getting a meet and greet with our ped before the birth, either. It's their policy, as they feel it's not necessary. It's a very close, but also highly recommended practice. I figure if we don't like the ped we were assigned, we can ask for someone else.

@Lulu22: Good luck deciding on your ECV!

@Marionberry: I know I'm late on this but, your poor feet! I hope the swelling has gone down some.

@SunshineMcC: DH got home on Saturday, and on Saturday evening, I took my dad to the Neil Diamond concert. It was awesome, but I was so happy we had straight on seats (no awkward turning my head). Baby danced the whole concert long, which was funny bc Neil kept saying "everybody, dance with me!" My parents went back home on Sunday, and it's been so nice just relaxing with DH alone in the evenings.

7. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Astro Bee: How nice that you get to take that time off. I feel like I'm going to be working my butt off until I either have my c-section or go into labor at the office. I'm curious why your provider will only do a cervical check if you're GBS negative. It's very common to be GBS positive - I would feel bad for those mamas. Did she mention why? Thanks for the concern about my feet. They've been better most days - it really depends on how busy I am at work or if I can take more time to relax.

8. brownie

grapefruit / 4110 posts

36 week midwife appointment was interesting. It was time to nail down the babies position and it was tough. He head is lodged in my pelvis but it doesn't feel like a head from the outside. So I had to have a pelvic exam and that was conclusive that she is head down. If that didn't work, we would have had a position ultrasound.

GBS test is completed as well and uneventful. Otherwise everything else is tracking along beautifully.

I'm a little crazy but I have a job interview Thursday about 8 hours away. Me and LO will be going in case my hubs has to go into the hospital (chronic illness). It will be good for LO to spend some time with his cousins. Baby is very high still so no concerns of coming early.

9. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@Astro Bee: before I married DH I used to freeze meals in regular Tupperware containers. I like the ones from ikea because they are cheap and BPA free. However, DH is super paranoid about freezing and heating things in plastic (even BPA free) so now we only use glass containers. My favorites are the pyrex ones with the colored lids, they are cheaper than the "lock and lock' glass variety and easier to use too. The nice thing about glass is that it can be used in the oven (either at the inital baking stage or to reheat after being defrosted in the fridge.) I've never had any issues with cracking and unlike plastic they don't stain which is nice. That said, any BPA free container is probably fine!

10. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@lulu22: Good luck with your research and decision about the ECV - whatever you decide will be great! Keep us posted. Here's hoping he'll still flip on his own - he may just be playing hard to get!

@marionberry: Oh great news - so happy that your first OB will be there to assist - that must make you so happy and excited! 2.5 weeks - wow! Can't wait to see how cute they are!

@Astro Bee: So glad to hear your appointment went well, and hurrah for the sick leave - hoping it will give you some chill time before baby comes! Thanks for sharing about your meet & greet - I was curious if that was out of the ordinary, but does seem like many practices don't think it's necessary. Glad your DH is home! The concert sounds so fun - it seems as though LO already has a good taste in music!

@brownie: Glad to hear that she is head down! Good luck on the job interview - would that mean that you might be moving? Forgive if you already shared this - keep us posted and safe travels!

@lulu22: good idea about the glass - then it can go straight to oven. I love the idea of making more freezer meals but it will probably be the last thing I get to on my list, if time permits!

11. brownie

grapefruit / 4110 posts

@SunshineMcC: If I get the job, yes at least half of us (me and the kiddos) would be moving. But I have to get the job first and I never know how that will go. We are looking at moving by the end of next year (when LO #1 would go to kindergarten) to move closer to family.

12. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

So.. I just found out that my vacation that I carried over to this year (10days) I can't carry over to 2016. Meaning I would get a payout in Jan 2016, which would effect my government Mat leave payments (EI). So I need to use it before I go off! I wish I had known before I would have taken more rest days!

This means a 4 day week next week, and three day week the following and i'm done!

13. ineebee

pear / 1580 posts

@Banana330: Sooooo jealousss!! What a treat! A great way to transition into maternity leave. I would ask what you think you'll do with your time, but I think we're all thinking the same thing?

14. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@ineebee: i'm hoping nap! Sleep has been an issue lately..

I have a couple of friends on mat leave so maybe some mom dates during the day too... I don't know... it's going to be great! I just can't believe it's so soon!

15. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Banana330: that's so awesome! Very jealous over here. I would be using it for naps and mommy play dates too. What fun!!

16. NeekieRose

persimmon / 1386 posts

@Banana330: Pretty jealous. I wish I had vacation I *had* to use. Instead I'm hoarding days in order to take less unpaid time!

17. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

Hi ladies. Just wanted to check in and say hello. I hope you're all feeling wonderful. I can't believe it's almost April already. I haven't been on HB for a couple months but I think about you girls and hope all is well. We are doing ok. Still grieving the loss of Ava but will hopefully TTC later this spring. Best wishes to all of you in the upcoming weeks.

18. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@delight: I am so glad to see you pop in. I was thinking about you the other day and I hope that you and your family are doing well. I hope to hear and celebrate good news for your family soon.

19. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@delight: I echo what @Boopers: said. Good luck TTC in the spring!

20. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@delight: So happy to see you check in. I'll be looking for updates from you in the spring!

21. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Banana330: enjoy your extra time off!

@delight: I echo the other sentiments. So sweet of you to check in. Continued prayers for your family and sweet Ava, and best of luck TTC. XO

22. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

@Delight: So nice to hear from you. Looking forward to a BFP for you in the next few months!

@Marionberry: Not sure why, but maybe there's a small risk of disturbing the mucus plug and introducing bacteria into the uterus? I know she would do cervical checks at the beginning and throughout labour, anyway. I got the feeling that cervical checks earlier on aren't strictly necessary, but are helpful to the mom to know that we're getting close?

@SunshineMcC: It is really good to have DH home again. His boss asked him if he'd take a day trip to Toronto (from Ottawa) 7 days before my EDD. I said no way would I feel comfortable with him going anywhere that late. Thankfully, his boss understood.

@Banana330: Enjoy your time off! Sometimes it's nice being forced to relax! I know I plan on sleeping in for probably the last time ever, as well as finishing off my projects.

23. Astro Bee

pear / 1503 posts

I was looking for a better picture of the storied "boobs and belly" cake, but I haven't come across one that shows it off as well as the one on DH's aunt's old stove. So here it is! Yes, those are perky nipples, a popped belly button, and a tiny foot pushing out. My SIL is an artiste, and it tasted just as good as it looked. She's a chef/baker, and did everything from scratch.

Now imagine me trying to decide where to make the first cut! I opted for starting with the boobs because of the unfortunate C-section imagery that cutting anywhere else would evoke. The cute little foot went last!

24. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@delight: so lovely to hear from you... glad to hear you're well and excited for the spring keep in touch!

@Astro Bee: my husband is going to ottawa (from TO) for a bachelor party on march 22... i'm assuming i'll go late but i'm still a bit nervous about him going so far away. i told him if he's been drinking and i go into labour he has to leave his car and cab home! ha.
    also, that cake is incredible!

i have been feeling AWFUL lately. stayed home from work yesterday because i had a bruuuuutal migraine & ice pick headaches... then last night i had a horrible night and actually threw up. my acid reflux was out of control. and today i'm just feeling reeeeally off so i stayed home again. i feel guilty about it considering i don't have much time left at work but i'm just feeling terrible so... i figure i need to take care of myself. i also had to go buy new shoes the other day and i got two pairs of 8.5... i'm normally a 6-7 :\ so trust me i'm dying for this to be over. my husband said last night "i have never seen someone's body so clearly tell them they should not carry babies".

25. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@loki: @Astro Bee: My DH came home the other day saying he really should go out to Calgary for work in the next few weeks. I said after 37 weeks not such a great idea. He agreed so I don't think he'll go.

@loki: sounds awful. Did Tylenol help the headaches? I ended up at a walk in clinic on sunday for better/stronger hearburn meds cause I didn't sleep at all on fri or sat nights. The new stuff is working like a charm now.

@Astro Bee: Impressive cake!

26. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Banana330: nah tylenol doesn't touch my migraines but at least it makes me feel like i'm doing SOMETHING to try and help myself. my acid reflux has been okay for the most part but man, when it hits, it is BRUTAL

27. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@loki: ahhh the end is in sight! Baby will be here soon enough and hopefully all this discomfort will be a distant memory!

@Astro Bee: your SIL is really talented!

I have my 37 week appt today and she's doing a growth scan to check if he's head down. I've packed my hospital bag and I'm putting it in the car *just in case*, but I'm hoping I won't need it. If all goes well at my appointment I am going to treat myself to a pedicure, my feet are ROUGH.

28. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

I came across the most random thing yesterday: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21280989

Blog post on that study: http://everythingbirthblog.com/2013/01/eating-dates-while-nearing-your-due-date/

Anybody else know anything about the supposed benefits of eating dates in late pregnancy? Those results are seriously impressive, though the sample size is really small. Dates taste good so I'm inclined to give it a try.

@Astro Bee: That cake is very impressive! And hilarious.

@loki: You poor thing, you have had such a tough time all three trimesters. I had a rough night last night as well, with heartburn and nausea waking me up and I eventually threw up for the first time in months. But I have not had many nights like that at all.

@delight: Thanks so much for checking in. We are thinking of you too, and glad to hear you are doing okay. I really hope things go well for you when you and your DH are ready to begin TTC again.

29. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@PawPrints: that's interesting about the dates. How did you come across that info?

My weekly check went well. The growth sono was so fun and I felt like I got to see more than at my anatomy scan at 18 weeks. This sonographer was way more thorough! Thankfully he is head down. He is estimated about 6 pounds 15 oz and he is bald or has a tiny bit of peach fuzz. We couldn't get a good face shot because his little arm was covering his face, but he gave us good anatomy shots and he is definitely still a boy. I start cervical checks next week.

30. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@Boopers: One of the findings came up as an image on my Pinterest feed, and I was intrigued so I googled it and found the study.

31. Boopers

pear / 1548 posts

@PawPrints: are you going to try it?

32. PawPrints

pomegranate / 3658 posts

@Boopers: I don't know! Maybe. I do like dates. Why not, I suppose?

33. ineebee

pear / 1580 posts

@Boopers: Yay for a fun scan! You got a lot of good information! I didn't know they could tell about hair/peach fuzz with those scans! Pretty cool.

@loki: You poor, poor thing. I'm glad you're taking the time off work to take care of yourself. Sorry if you don't wanna hear any advice, but I've been hearing from a friend who recently discovered "essential oils" and it's really helped with her migraines. I myself don't know a lot about it, but I thought I'd mention it in case you were curious?

AFM, the weight of the baby on my pelvis has been a big change this week. I went to the mall for the first time in a while to look for a gift, and getting around was pretty difficult. I took a mid-mall break at a Pinkberry and had the most amazing cookies & cream shake to treat myself for the hard work I was doing! Carpal tunnel and swelling in my hands and feet continue to be a pain, but I know it could be worse.

34. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@loki: Thought I would share my heartburn story with you. I was just taking extra strength Tums for the longest time and it got to the point recently where I was needing to take them non-stop. I asked my OB this week if I could take something stronger and she said pretty much anything over the counter. Well my husband told me to take what he takes - omeprazole (Prilosec). You take it once daily and I was in heaven - absolutely NO heartburn whatsoever. Then I googled yesterday and it's Class C which made me nervous so I switched to taking famotidine (Pepcid) and thus far I've still been ok, but I plan to ask my OB if it stops working if I can go back on omeprazole. I've read a ton online and it seems ok, plus lots of women are prescribed it during pregnancy. So I say this because you should definitely be able to take things like Zantac and Pepcid with no issue, but if that's not working, I'd ask your doctor about omeprazole. It was AMAZING!
    @Boopers: I got a pedicure last weekend and it was wonderful! You'll love it on those pregnant worn out feet. Oh and my OB pointed out that Baby B had lots of hair when we were checking on them last week. It's awesome that they can tell. I'm just wondering now if Baby A does - I think she just didn't pay attention to that when we did him first.
    @ineebee: I've been feeling lots of pressure from Baby A down in my pelvis lately too! I find it's almost worse though when I get up from bed in the middle of the night than when I am just walking daily.

Funny story (at least to me). I love my OB - she's super sweet and we really get along well. Well she's short like me and we're always talking about how maternity pants are too long on us so we have to wear heels, etc. (she had her son at the same time as me last year). So I was complaining that at this stage in my pregnancy I was running out of clothes that fit and she says, "I have some dresses you could probably wear if you want" and I replied "ya but that means I'd have to shave my legs." We both chuckled but seriously, I need to shave my legs before this c-section and I am not looking forward to it. I can't bend down and can barely get my leg up in the tub. It's just a lose-lose.

35. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@marionberry: Thats what i got prescribed when zantac stopped working, omeprazole! It's been awesome so far. The doc said it was the one the on call OB recommended and prescribes frequently, plus with so little time left they weren't too concerned. I'd forgo the shaving for the c-section, it's not like the doctors will care!

36. marionberry

pomelo / 5041 posts

@Banana330: Well I'm glad to hear it's what they gave you. I loved it! The only thing I read was a concern about it being passed through breastmilk - but then I also read that they give it to babies for reflux so I was thoroughly confused. I'd love to go back on it. As far as shaving, you're right in that I could totally skip it for the c-section (although sitting there naked in front of multiple people on a table I feel a bit uneasy about being really hairy, lol) but we're getting toward summer and it will be hard to bend at the waist after surgery for awhile, so I probably should at least try an attempt for shaving from the knees down, if not more, haha so that I can wear a dress or skirt at some point.

37. Banana330

nectarine / 2317 posts

@marionberry: She did mention to stop taking it for breastfeeding but I didn't have to stop until the baby is born. There's a some information on it on motherrisk.org. I'm hoping my heartburn will be gone after the baby gets here and I won't have to worry about it.

38. loki

pear / 1787 posts

@Boopers: @PawPrints: @ineebee: thanks for all the sympathy guys... i feel like such a whiny baby. but i am just NOT a happy pregnant lady. everything hurts... my husband is trying to get me to go on short term disability but i just feel like i can't do that to work. so hoping to suffer through the next few weeks and make this all a distant memory soon! haha.

@marionberry: thank you! mine has been annoying but relatively minor so i haven't even been taking anything for it. but i'm making my husband pick me up a bunch of stuff tonight so hopefully it helps! if it gets worse i have no problems taking prilosec - i've heard it's often prescribed in pregnancy! last night i was desperate and had nothing in the house so i took a pepto tablet... and then read it was not safe and panicked. luckily i threw up everything in my stomach shortly after sooo i'm not worried.
    and yes i agree shaving is a feat and it must be even worse for you! i've been having warm baths and i find it easier to shave when i'm sitting in the tub... but then i struggle to get up haha. i can't believe how close to the end you are!!! can't wait to see your little guys!

39. lulu22

apricot / 306 posts

@PawPrints: so cool about the dates! I am totally going to try this (provided I don't end up doing a scheduled c-section). Pity I just used all my dates in the lamb and date tagine I made for the freezer... will have to buy more!! I also plan to drink raspberry leaf tea in the last week or so.

@loki: oh my gosh, I feel so bad for you, you really have had such a hard 9 months! It's not fair!! at least the end is in sight... stay strong!

@delight: So lovely to hear from you, and like all the others have said, I'll be thinking of you and your family and wishing you all the best for when you start TTC again.

I weighed myself today and for the first time all pregnancy I've lost a couple of pounds! Probably because I am really reigning in my dinner portions to avoid the awful evening bloating/discomfort. Of course I just celebrated this by eating TWO donuts after lunch

40. SunshineMcC

kiwi / 563 posts

@Astro Bee: such a cute cake! Thanks for sharing!

I need to vent... I had a big work meeting downtown in the city today so it's been 13 hours since I left the house, and have had several contractions today some painful as well as felt dizzy and lightheaded throughout the day. What really ticks me off is I can't get in touch with DH and I am really really annoyed. He's not always the best about checking his phone and I have been telling him that he needs to check it at least hourly until the baby comes which he's obviously not doing. He is out of town this weekend for his state tournament that he coaches and I'm just really nervous that he's not gonna stay on top of checking his phone. I know I'm only 36 weeks but I'm scared that I'm going to labor and can't reach him. Grrr.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee