Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

I posted a different thread, orientation is tomorrow!

http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/questions-to-ask-at-kindergarten-orientation

2. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@looch: That sounds like you are off to a good start!

3. Boogs

hostess / papaya / 10540 posts

@Mrs. Tiger: Adorable! Ours doesn't do any pics.

@T.H.O.U.: We have no say at all regarding teachers, which I hate. The principal, which I don't love said the day before school they "post the names up and run away..."

4. T.H.O.U.

@Boogs: Wow! A friend of mine said all the K teachers follow the exact same curriculum, so from an education stand point it shouldn't matter who we get. But from a classroom management/teaching style I'm glad we get a preference.

5. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

I just realized last week that one of our potential teachers lives right across the street. Rumor has it she tends to take the neighborhood kids. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I know she's an amazing teacher as she was recently recognized.

6. yin

honeydew / 7917 posts

We have an assessment in June, and they will group the kids accordingly. For Kindergarten students, they prefer a mix range of abilities. We do not have a choice for picking a teacher, and I don't mind.

7. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

I don't think we have any say at all when it comes to picking a teacher...I am not even sure they're all hired at this point anyway.

I really struggle with giving the options to parents, epecially when it's probably not possible to give everyone their first choice. Eta: and not to mention, what if I were to pick wrong, the GUILT!

8. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

We cant pick the teacher either - but it doesn't even matter for K since there are only 2 classes this year (AM and PM) so just 1 teacher

9. chopsuey

hostess / wonderful honeydew / 32460 posts

We only have 2 Kinder teachers and I don't think we have a say either. We get our teacher and class list this month!

10. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@chopsuey: I wish we would find out so quickly. Official registration isn't until summer. I think we find out our teacher at "Meet the Teacher" which is about a week before school

11. Boogs

hostess / papaya / 10540 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Exactly, different kids respond better to different types of teachers, in my opinion.

12. Mrs. High Heels

blogger / eggplant / 11551 posts

We don't get a pick either! We actually won't even know exactly what the schedule will look like or how many teachers there will be until August, when they're done with enrollment. They kept emphasizing "enroll early" so they can get a better idea of counts sooner rather than later.

13. T.H.O.U.

For Pre-K graduation, they will be dressed up in cap and gown, did anyone give their kids a gift? Should we bring flowers?

14. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Just caps for us

I will bring a small bouquet for the 2 teachers and my DD - no gifts

15. regberadaisy

GOLD / wonderful pomegranate / 28905 posts

@T.H.O.U.: m is graduating preschool and I'm bringing her a small bouquet. I know she will love it and probably out to ice cream afterwards to celebrate. Hehe

16. looch

No cap and gown, it's a moving up ceremony. We'll bring the teachers their end of year gifts, but then my son goes to school for the rest of the day, lol.

17. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: Ours is at 6pm

18. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

@tinyperson: Ontario?

1. Child's name (or identifier), date of birth
    C. October 2012

2. Type of program (public, private, charter, magnet, etc)
    Public, JK/SK split class.

3. How is your kid getting to school?
    Walk. We are walking distance, her before/after school provider backs on to the school as well.

4. Special things about the program you want to share
    We had an orientation night two weeks ago. I have been really nervous about sending her (full day, every day here) and this info night was fantastic. We have a request in for a few teachers we liked, but overall really don't mind who she ends up with (6 classes total, big school, yikes!) We will know mid-summer who her teacher will be.

I am nervous for her going as a 3 year old. Have considered waiting to send her for a year (not required here until Grade 1). She still naps 2 to 3 hours a day, every day and I am not sure how the classroom setting will go for her, she is definitely smart enough, but a very sensitive little soul.

19. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@regberadaisy: great idea - DD would love to go to Rita's afterwards!

20. looch

@Mamaof2: Ours is at 9 am.

21. T.H.O.U.

OOh Thats a good idea to do teacher gifts too. I had planned to do end of the year gifts but she has another month with them over summer (well 2-3 weeks). Probably more meaningful for graduation.

Another mom suggested bringing her a helium balloon so I probably will do that!

22. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

Our preschool graduation is at 11. I hadn't really thought about it, but we will probably do a balloon and maybe flowers when we get home. We are going out to lunch after. We're in a little bit of a different situation because we had to move a month ago, so we'll be traveling back for the program, and I'm not sure that the flowers will travel well! I would like to bring flowers for the teachers and preschool director.

23. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

I have a ribbon lei made in LOs favorite colors. Also we are making candy leis for her bffs. Still haven't figured out anything for the teachers. Probably a gift card. We are doing a ceremony with cap/gown/potluck and leave midday.

24. T.H.O.U.

@808love: Ooh do you have a picture or a link?

25. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

Here it is!!

26. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

Today was our last day of school! Pre-K program is over. There wasn't any sort of a ceremony, which bums me out just a bit. DD had a half day and we are currently sitting at home sipping milkshakes and watching tangled. She'd like to go to the park, but it's looking like rain. She gets virtually zero screen time at home, so I think it's a nice "reward".

27. tinyperson

pomegranate / 3858 posts

@sunnyday: yep, Ontario!

28. T.H.O.U.

@808love: Im not even sure I want to know how long that took! Its gorgeous!

29. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@T.H.O.U.: You know I didn't make that, right? I paid someone $5. She sells it as a fundraiser and gave me BFF price because it was a smaller preschool lei. I should mail out as a side business- hehe! Anyway, we are making the candy leis. Was awesome because LO just learned to tie a knot so she is helping. Plus her hand is small enough for her hand to stick up the netting.

30. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

PBK loaded up their new backpacks and they are having 20% off plus free shipping. The code is FRIENDS.

Lands End also has their new backpacks out. That's what we used last year and it held up great.

I'm on the fence about which direction to go this year.

31. regberadaisy

GOLD / wonderful pomegranate / 28905 posts

@MamaG: why do they need a new backpack? Did it not hold up in PreK?

32. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@regberadaisy: Yes, it did hold up fine and is still being used this summer for summer camp. The corners are showing some wear and the bottom is dirty (not to mention the collection of glitter in every seam).

Much like my girl will get new shoes to start the school year and some new clothes, a new backpack will be in play for her too. I choose to have some shiny new things for the first day of school.

33. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

@tinyperson: Awesome

Our schools "draft day" as we have jokingly called it was yesterday where classes were picked/assigned. I don't think we know officially until mid-summer who her teacher will be, but we have a pretty solid idea and are super pumped!

34. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

Pre-K graduation is tonight!!!!

35. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@MamaG: Thanks for the sale info. I ordered my first ever PB item. @Mamaof2: Yay!!

36. looch

Does it need to be a backpack? We haven't gotten a supplies list (brand new school), but this year for his last year of preschool, my son used a tote bag. It worked really well for him. and it's still in fine condition for another year....I didn't have a backpack until I was in college, lol.

37. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@looch: good question. I've only seen backpacks when we were in pre K. And I know we've been told no backpacks with wheels as they don't fit in the lockers. Does the tote close in the top?

38. looch

@MamaG: It doesn't, which is perfect for him since he can have stuff sticking out of the top and not have to pack it so perfectly.

He's going to be a car drop off kid, if that makes a difference, so it's not like he has to keep his stuff orderly for the bus ride or walk home.

39. yin

honeydew / 7917 posts

We had an assessment last week at LO's school for placement, and he did really well. So well that we didn't get any feedback other than he is ready for Kindergarten. Other parents were given tips on areas to work on for the summer to prepare their kids.

40. yin

honeydew / 7917 posts

@looch: The supply list for LO's school listed a backpack with no wheels. We went to parent orientation where they gave examples of acceptable backpacks. It has to fit a folder and notebook. While totes were not mentioned, I don't think it would work for my LO's school based on what they said and showed us.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee