Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2013 feeding

1. birdofafeather

pineapple / 12053 posts

@edelweiss: did you end up doing anything in the weaning department? we're working on night weaning now, so i've added a nursing session in to make sure she's tanked up so there are no excuses for me to go in there and nurse (so currently: morning, before her one nap, after her one nap, before bedtime). after we do that, i'm going to try to slowly move to 3 times a day to hopefully just morning and night until she wants to stop.

2. edelweiss

grapefruit / 4923 posts

@birdofafeather: we've almost completely weaned. we're still doing one nursing session when LO wakes up too early at 5am (he then goes back to bed until about 6.30am). our approach was pretty haphazard. the first step was to nurse him after meals/snacks as opposed to before. then, after a few weeks of LO consistently not touching this 3rd bottle at daycare, i dropped the corresponding nursing session on the weekends.

besides his morning nursing session, the nursing sessions had gotten shorter, around 5-7 minutes.

then i dropped another daytime nursing session. unfortunately i got a clogged duct and thought i was getting mastitis, so i started taking antibiotics and stopped nursing cold turkey because i was worried about the antibiotic's effects on LO. i didn't offer a bottle as a replacement either, just to see how it would go. he seemed to be fine even with the abrupt halt--it really showed me how much of our nursing by that point had been habit/emotional rather than a physical need on his part. i was sad though. i did continue to pump to relieve pressure, and after the week's course of antibiotics was over, i went back to nursing him for the early wakeup because it's the easiest way to get him to go back to sleep.

i talked to my ped about the early morning wakeup session and she pretty much said at this point he's fine without it, that it's mostly habit, and that if we CIO he will be okay. i haven't worked up the courage though. we've done CIO before, but i'm just not at a breaking point yet.

how is the night weaning going? what is your strategy?

eta: geez that was long. sorry.

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee