Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

January 2016 Postpartum Chat

1. travellingbee

hostess / papaya / 10219 posts

@JoyfulKiwi: I'd call that one wake up, if the second is at 5 or 6! Colds are the worst. Sorry

2. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

LOs Age: 8 weeks today
    Weight: 12 lb at 6 weeks, another appt on Friday
    Recent Milestones: Sleeps 9:30-6:30 with usually one 3am feeding; lots of smiling and cooing, NOT freaking out during tummy time

Current Struggles: I go back to work in 2.5 weeks and I have some anxiety about getting everything done, childcare logistics, etc. Also, two weeks ago the ped asked me to cut out dairy, nuts, and eggs bc of two days of green mucusy diapers. I've cut out eggs and nuts, and reduced dairy. It's been a fair amount of improvement but still some yellow mucus. Going completely dairy-free is not an option, but the possibility of giving up breastfeeding was sad to me (and formula is expensive!). So far we are EBF still.

Random Tidbit: We just finished 10 days with Grandpa staying with us, and on Sunday, my ILs are coming for a week for the first time to meet DS. Grandpa was great thought it took him a little time to get used to the idea of swaddling, babies crying sometimes, awake time / nap time, etc. But it's worked out well.

3. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@travellingbee: ooh that makes me feel a lot better!)

@DesertDreams88: did you stop nursing? I am so surprised by the no nuts recommendation. It seems like an out-dated request & cuts out so many heathy food options when giving up dairy. I'm struggling and I can't imagine no nuts! Peanut butter & almond milk are saving my life right now.

4. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@JoyfulKiwi: I edited my post to clarify no, I didn't give up nursing yet he has no other symptoms and I actually enjoy nursing so I'd like to do it as long as it suits us. The nuts recommendation was bc DH and BIL have nut allergies. I agree, cutting out both would be so hard! I'm actually thinking it's the nuts and not the dairy, based on his improvement. But I have 2 boxes of Tagalongs tempting me...

5. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@JoyfulKiwi: glad to hear the colic has lessened! Sounds like it is related to the dietary changes.

@mdf106: fingers crossed that those longer stretches soon turn into STTN.

@oliviaoblivia: @travellingbee: I was given SO MANY CLOTHES. Seriously I could theoretically never do laundry and he'd still have clean clothes to wear.... by the time he wore everything in a "stage," he'd be on the next stage. I think we're all set for years 0-3 for life regardless of how many kids we have. And in regards to the season of clothes, it's surprising how many people buy "out of season" clothes gifts.... for example, I have a lot of winter-y 6 mo clothes, but also a ton of summery NB & 0-3mo clothes. WTF? But due to the plethora, we make it work. The only think I've had to buy is shorts, since we've been hitting 85+ regularly and that car seat gets hot.

6. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Hi everyone! How's it going?

Curious what time is bedtime for your LOs at this age? Ours is all over the place! Sometimes 7, sometimes 11pm. I can't figure it out!

7. travellingbee

@QueensBee: this one amazingly has a very consistent bedtime of 745. Lukas never did.

8. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@QueensBee: somewhere between 8 and 9, we have to wake him up at 530 for childcare. I'm trying to push it a bit earlier bc this represents only a 9hr stretch (he wakes once in there to feed)

9. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@QueensBee: little miss has been kind to us - she's regularly asleep by 7:30/8:00 now that she's in daycare. She doesn't nap great there and is usually tired by 7pm. We wake her at 6:30am for the day, so I like her asleep by 8pm to get a 10-hr block (she wakes 1-3 times to eat, but goes back down pretty easy).

Anyone hitting any milestones yet? We're *this* close to laughing. I can't wait to hear it!!

10. mrs.shinerbock

pomegranate / 3779 posts

@QueensBee: since about 11 weeks, he's usually asleep by 7:15/7:30 depending on when his last nap is.

11. travellingbee

@JoyfulKiwi: Aw baby laughs are the best! This one was a super early laugher- he started at about 6 weeks (!) which was waaaay earlier than brother. He is now reaching for things and grabbing them, and has rolled over from his tummy a number of times. Hasn't really gone from back to tummy though.

12. oliviaoblivia

pineapple / 12793 posts

A is rolling both ways and yesterday scooted across the living room on her back. Crazy baby. She started laughing last week but only a few times. I love baby laughs so much!

Bedtime here is 7:30 and she wakes up around 8:30. Sometimes she'll nurse around 5:30/6:00 but sometimes not.

13. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@travellingbee: @oliviaoblivia: rolling?! That's awesome. I'm so looking forward to C being able to roll - then she can sleep on her tummy! It's good to hear your babies are laughing, it means she really is close.

14. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Well he definitely smiles, and laughs here and there... usually an open-mouth grin with some giggles, I love it He also rolled over tummy to back for the first time today! I'll admit, I teared up a bit. He's got great head control when upright in a carrier or someone's arms, but during tummy time he lays his head down and sucks on his hand.

How's work going, for you all that are back? This was my first week back. Luckily my students keep me very busy and thus distracted from missing LO too much during the day. Pumping is going well- he's doing 5oz bottles at the babysitters and I usually have some milk to freeze at the end of the day.... my freezer is getting a bit too full at this point. Some of the milk is coming up on the 3-month guideline, so DH is using it for 2-3 bottles on the weekend so that I can sleep in a bit. All of you that have multiple kids, I am amazed on how you balance it all!

15. mdf106

clementine / 828 posts

@QueensBee: Our bedtime is between 9:30 and 10:30. I prefer closer to 9:30. DS2 usually wakes up one time during the night, and wakes up for the day around 7 am. Lately the wake-up is around half an hour. I am not sure how I will manage an earlier bedtime on weeknights.

@JoyfulKiwi: We are also very close to laughing. DS2 does a big smile with extra facial movements. He is coo-ing, and will have a "conversation." DS2 has found his thumb, and can self soothe with his thumb. He can whack dangling toys, but no grabbing yet. No rolling yet, but he is getting better at baby push-ups during tummy time and holding his head up.

@DesertDreams88: I have never heard of the three month rule. I think breastmilk is good frozen for at least 6 months. DS2 only takes three 3-ounce bottles when I am at work, and I am pumping a lot more than this, even just pumping twice a day. I am about to buy a chest freezer, because my milk has taken over the freezer.

Work is going better as I get used to being back. DS2 is nursing much faster, which helps. It is hard to be as productive as I would like. Things would improve if DS2 would STTN, but I realize that this is an unreasonable expectation at this age (although DS1 did). DH is back to SAH full time, which helps everything go smoother.

16. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@mdf106: oh, I know that a lot of guidelines say 6 months, but some of the more conservative guidelines I have seen say 3-4 months, and we use our freezer SO much that I am leaning toward the shorter end of the spectrum.

17. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

It sounds like everyone is doing really well! Thanks for letting me know about your LOs' current bedtimes. She been going to sleep by 9pm more consistently this week (tonight it was 7:30pm!) so I feel like we're moving in the right direction.

I'm going back to work in three weeks and of course, G refuses to take a bottle. When she was first born, I gave her a bottle right away and she drank one every 3 days or so. I thought we were all set. Around 6 weeks, however, she started snubbing them and she has refused them ever since. I have tried so many different bottles and techniques! I'm so worried she's going to cry all day for the first week when I'm back. I'm dreading it. Any tips or success stories?

18. mrs.shinerbock

pomegranate / 3779 posts

@mdf106: @DesertDreams88: I think it depends on the type of freezer - 3 months in a normal freezer that is part of a refrigerator, 6 months in a deep freeze.

19. travellingbee

@QueensBee: we had the exact same thing happen and the first week he wouldn't take very much. An ounce here and there, but he didn't cry the whole time or anything. Now he's up to 6 ounce bottles at a feeding so he got over it pretty quick. We spent a small fortune on bottles and nipples.

20. Ari123

coffee bean / 25 posts

@QueensBee: my baby eats at 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, midnight, 2am, 5am etc. basically every other hour most nights. The longest he goes without waking to eat is 3 hours. I am exclusively bf and pump, he eats 5oz at a time. He is almost 3 months old and weighs just under 17lbs, 26.5 inches long. He was 22.5 inches 9lb1oz at birth .

21. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@DesertDreams88: it's great to hear you had a good first week back. How is your pumping schedule working out? I've been back at work for about 6 weeks and it's going really well. I work in the same building that C's infant room is in, so I get to nurse her on-demand. It's been great so far! As for expired milk, do you cycle it from the freezer or just use the fresh stuff? I had 60+ oz stashed away, but because I wasn't dairy free then I can't use any of it right now! I'm going with the 6-month rule in the hopes that I can use the milk someday!
    @QueensBee: do you give him the bottle? Maybe if it's another person he will accept it better? That's stressful, but infant caregivers know tricks to get a baby to drink!
    @mdf106: C blows spit bubbles and has this very deep gurgle when she "talks" to us! It's so funny! She's also good at whacking things and has been staring a lot at her hand. I think she's trying to figure out how to make it move.

22. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@Ari123: oh man! My first child was like that! He ate constantly! It's so tiring; I hope he settles down for you soon.

23. travellingbee

@JoyfulKiwi: yes I have the same issue with my milk. I'm off dairy, soy and egg now so that milk is no good. Hoping he outgrows this at 6 months so I can use some of it! Grrrr!

24. Worrywart

apricot / 394 posts

@QueensBee: Try the Lansinoh mOmma bottle. That was the only one that worked for H when he started daycare about a month ago. Now we are using Dr Browns and he's taking bottles just fine.

Has anyone done any sort of sleep training yet? Harrison is a horrible sleeper! He goes down awake at night just fine but is still waking up every 2-3 hrs! I know he's not hungry at all of the wake ups. I'm planning on talking to our pediatrician at his 4 month appt next week about sleep training and letting him CIO a bit. Mama is exhausted!!

25. Kimberlybee

grapefruit / 4997 posts

Hi mommies! I have enjoyed reading all of your updates and have been silently following along. Some days I am like a walking zombie so reading is easier than posting. It's not anything to do with the baby's schedule. Even though she is a night owl, she is such a good sleeper and does sleep for long stretches. It's because my postpartum insomnia is back again. I currently stay at home and do translation work on the weekends so it's still manageable for now. If I return to the workforce full time which I do plan to in the fall, this broken sleep would not be ideal at all. Hopefully, I will have found a good solution by then.

I am loving these milestones and can't believe our babies are almost 4 months old soon! K is rolling back to belly, likes to sleep on her belly, giving hearty belly laughs and is still so sweet and easy going. Big sister is so inlove with her still. My main concern is how much she is spitting up her formula. It's not at every feed but it's pretty often. She doesn't cry and does not look uncomfortable but I will bring it up at the 4 month check up.

26. gracecat

clementine / 878 posts

@worrywart: yes we already sleep trained a bit for nights. She was sleeping horribly and DH was going on a biz trip for a week soon and I have toddler to care for so we felt like it was the right time. We did CIO to get DD to sleep in her own crib, swaddled, and established a bedtime routine including a bath and white noise. Now she falls asleep on her own (sometimes she does cry right away or after the first sleep cycle) but not too long. Then she gets a dream feed before DH goes to sleep around midnight, then generally wakes up around 5 am when I give her another bottle and then she falls asleep until 6:30 am and cries out, but she falls back asleep again until 7 or 8 am or whenever toddler makes too much noise in the morning. That this is good is a testament to how bad she was sleeping before. I'm glad we did it. DD is now 8.5 kg but seems to have some eczema on her arms and a bit on her chest. :(. Steroid cream works but I don't want to have to keep using it. Aveeno eczema lotion doesn't seem to make a big difference either. Wondering if I should get her allergy tested... How are the other bubs?

27. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

Ok, I'm so out of the loop here. I have been lurking and reading but not really able to comment much lately. Ainsley is growing like a weed - at her 2 month appointment she was 25" and 14.5lbs, and is already in size 3 diapers! I know you're not supposed to compare kids, but Daxon wasn't 25" till 6 months, and didn't graduate to size 3s until 8 months! Girlfriend is gonna be bigger than her brother, for sure. Poor kid.

She is still nursing very frequently - like every 1-2 hours during the day. She sleeps through the night (10-11 hours!), but then she's making up for all that not eating during the day. And she's not napping. And she has reflux. We just started Zantac today because, unless she's eating or sleeping, she's pretty much screaming at me. The days are really hard, and I am struggling. I go back to work on Monday, and I'm kind of looking forward to it.

28. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

How long are all your babies going between feedings now? My baby seems to be going longer, but I don't know if that's because of my babysitter's schedule or truly his needs?

At 10 to 11 weeks, he was at 2.5-3 hours nursing at home with me, but now at 3 mo / 14ish weeks; he seems to be doing 3-3.5 hours between 5oz bottles.

29. travellingbee

@DesertDreams88: L nurses at 5 and 7am before I leave work. He then eats 7 ounce bottles every 3-4 hours at daycare and nurses at home at 430 and 630pm, before bed.

30. travellingbee

We are in the thick of a sleep regression and I am DYING. He woke up like a MILLION times last night. So. Tired.

31. JoyfulKiwi

nectarine / 2667 posts

@littlebug: your poor babe! I'm sorry to hear the days are so rough. How was going back to work? Did A do well with her caregiver? C was also very fussy and I looked forward to going back to work. She turned a corner around 3 months (but I also cut out all dairy at that time, so maybe that was it?)

@DesertDreams88: she's doing 2-4 hours. I don't know how much she's eating because it's all nursing, but she eats closer in the am/pm and goes longer during mid-day and overnight. I think it all hinges on her nap schedule and the schedule I've been trying to get her into (it's easier for me to nurse at 9, 11:30/12, 2, & 5). She seems happy though and is gaining so I'm trying not to worry about it.

@travellingbee: noooooo, not the sleep regression. I keep looking at the calendar and as the day she will hit 4 months gets closer I get more and more in denial. I keep hoping my son's regression was a bad dream. Her sleep has been so kind to us & I'm terrified for when it changes!

32. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

@JoyfulKiwi: I start work on Monday, so I'll check back in with that transition then. We went to visit and meet her teachers, and they were just lovely. I'm feeling good about it.

The Zantac seems to be helping already. She's screaming less and she's also nursing for shorter time periods and stretching out time between feedings. She'll be 12 weeks on Tuesday, and she's just coming out of the 3rd wonder week, so I'm kind of thinking the combination of those 3 things is working on our favor. She's much more pleasant to be around!

33. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

@littlebug: sounds like a confluence of good changes!! I think my LO is getting more efficient with nursing too... one can only hope!

@JoyfulKiwi: You are sooo lucky to be able to nurse at work. I once worked at a daycare and it was my most favorite job ever. Glad to hear you are still having good sleep!

@travellingbee: ohhhh no, the 4th month regression?? Purely dreading it over here. So sorry to hear Is you older toddler doing well with his sleep at least? I remember you posting about that being an issue, too. and wow, 7oz bottles! Such a big boy

@gracecat: Tons of eczema over here, too. It's improving with oatmeal baths EOD, no soap or scrubbing, patting dry, baby eczema lotion right away after bath, and lotion day and night. Experimenting with different lotions. Hope you find what works for you! We've heard great things about Eucerin & vanicream, if Aveeno's not working.

@gracecat: & @Worrywart: we hope / plan to sleep train either the beginning of June or during July. We have a 2-week vacation planned for June 21-July 4th..... ugh. Worried that he's not going to sleep at all, with new people, new places, new time zone, etc.

34. DesertDreams88

grapefruit / 4361 posts

Btw I just have to whine somewhere about my work / pumping schedule.

Due to the babysitter's location, DH's workplace & schedule, and mine, this is our day:
    Wake & nurse at 5:30, baby leaves me at 6:10. Pump at 7:20, 10:20, 12:20, and 3:20. Get home around 4 but baby almost always napping until 5. Nurse at 5 and at 7, bedtime. Nurse 1x btwn 7pm-5am, usually.

Total pump sessions: 4
    Total nursing sessions: 4, one of them MOTN (ugh).
    Total awake time with baby: 2.5 hours

Thank God it's only for 4 more weeks, then DH & I are both on summer break until LO is 6mo, and then childcare will only be 7:30-4.

35. littlebug

honeydew / 7504 posts

@travellingbee: Was your oldest's 4m sleep regression bad? D's wasn't too terrible - just a couple rough nights - so I'm hoping A will follow suit.

36. travellingbee

@littlebug: yeah it was horrific too and I was hoping this one would be better, but so far...

@DesertDreams88: older one is ok but not great and there are definitely nights when DH is with DS1, and I'm with DS2. Ugh this is a rough phase. Yeah 7 ounces. Crazy right? My older one never took more than 5 and usually took 4--this guy would eat 8 if I could keep up with it pumping.

37. Ari123

coffee bean / 25 posts

Going back to work tomorrow LO is 15 weeks old tomorrow. I'll miss him so much!

38. travellingbee

@Ari123:

39. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

Hi everyone,

We are having in a very rough patch right now. I'm due to go back to work on Monday so I've already feeling been emotional. Then, our pediatrician referred us to a pediatric neurosurgeon for a possible craniocynostosis this week. The fear of my little peanut having to undergo major surgery is really causing me to be a mess. We meet with one surgeon on Tuesday and then get a second opinion on Wednesday. I'm just trying to keep busy and pass the time until then. And also brace myself for a diagnosis.

I'll report back after we meet with the doctors next week.

40. QueensBee

pear / 1718 posts

@Ari123: It's so hard. How are you doing this week?

@travellingbee: Oh no, I remember the 4 month sleep regression with Pete and Lucas. I can't believe this is worse! Hoping you get some rest soon!

@DesertDreams88: That is an exhausting schedule and not nearly enough baby time. I hope the next few weeks fly by so you can be home on summer break soon!

@littlebug: Glad she's starting to feel better!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee