Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2016 Postpartum

1. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Amorini: I'm so sorry you had such a rough labor and delivery experience! I hope you are healing okay, both physically and emotionally.

2. whiskers

kiwi / 657 posts

@Amorini: he is so cute!! I'm sorry you are having trouble with your birth experience. There are a lot of ladies on the boards who have had similar experiences and may be able to give you some support.

3. Shantuck

pear / 1767 posts

@thepicklemonster: People are the worst! I had that happen twice after my son was born (once at the children's hospital while I was holding him in his car seat and the other time at a baby store while I was buying preemie sized clothing right after I'd gotten home from the hospital).

4. Shantuck

pear / 1767 posts

@Amorini: He's adorable! Sorry to hear that the labor and delivery story was so dramatic. I was talking to my doctor about how I had some unanswered questions from the birth of my son (different practice because I wasn't pleased with how some things were handled last time) and she mentioned that delivery PTSD was a real thing and that I should have addressed the concerns with my doctor when I came back for my 6 week appointment. I responded that I didn't want to be confrontational and at the end of the day both DS and I were fine but she told me that she hoped if I had similar concerns this time that I would raise them and have a dialogue about it. Anyways, I am sorry things were so difficult but if it is the sort of thing where you have lingering unanswered questions, maybe it would make sense to raise them. I kind of wish I would have now (4 years later).

5. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@thepicklemonster: I'm so sorry. That happened to me when H was six months old and I cried. I threatened to burn all my clothes too (I was a wee bit dramatic), but that was the day I stopped wearing anything that I wore while pregnant and I also went out and bought a few new shirts to make me feel better.

6. whiskers

kiwi / 657 posts

We are home and settling in now. M wants to nurse around the clock right now and it's wearing me out. B is going to make it hard on me since all she wants to do is hold and play with her in a very rough manner. Swing and pacifier are my saviors atm.

7. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

@thepicklemonster: Oh hun. I feel just as chunky as I did while in second trimester, so I'm expecting similar comments anyday now.

8. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

@Amorini: Sending you so many hugs. x

9. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

I'm so frigging tired. I forgot how tiring this part is. Claire is three weeks old (!) tomorrow and I feel like I'm going to blink and miss it.

10. Kitkat

apricot / 325 posts

I think I'm losing my mind. I'm so sleep deprived and pretty sure I have the baby blues. B eats and then goes right to sleep during the day, but at night he eats and then fusses and makes weird grunting sounds and just seems uncomfortable. Pairing this with diaper changes, which he hates and gets hysterical during, makes for terrible nights and I get so anxious leading up to bedtime. I'm trying to nap more today, so we'll see if that helps. Any advice/commiseration? When does this get better?

11. TFrances

apricot / 286 posts

Somehow I never made the transition over to this board...

Baby's name/sex: Quentin Deckard / boy
    Birthday: September 26th
    Feeding: We attempted to breastfeed but it just didn't happen. Between excruciating stabby pain whenever he breastfed and no supply, I made the decision to stop. No regrets.
    Sleep: Up until about three days ago we were dealing with day/night confusion. Q would sleep all day and want to be awake and "playing" all night. Thankfully, we are getting on track and he's starting to sleep longer stretches at night. We even got a 5 hour stretch two nights ago! DH and I have been trading off on getting up at night. While I would love the division to be 50/50, it's more like 70/30 with me getting up more.
    Recovery: I had my 3rd (and final) c-section and it was the easiest recovery of all. The hospital has a new post-surgery pain management system that cuts out all narcotics. Instead you get a IV of tylenol. I'm convinced the new system has helped me heal faster and in general feel better, no foggy head from the narcotics! We're 3 1/2 weeks out and I've already off all pain meds, restarted driving, and been out with both littles by myself. I still get tired quickly, but overall I'm feeling good.
    Struggles: The toddler. While overall, he's really great with his little brother, the 3-ness has gotten to me since being home. The tantrums have ramped up. The arguments have started. And in general, he's very demanding right now (and always when I'm actively caring for Q).
    Victories: I'm getting more sleep than last time. Woohoo! I've taken both boys to the library and grocery (small trips) by myself a few times. Tomorrow we're driving to our parent group Halloween party. From our current house, it's a 45 minute drive. I'm super excited and hoping all goes well.

12. TFrances

apricot / 286 posts

@Kitkat: We had the same thing over here. Q's now 3 1/2 weeks old and I feel like we're getting better at going to sleep quicker after eating at night and staying awake longer during the day.

13. whiskers

kiwi / 657 posts

@Kitkat: I'm not sure what your feeding/night situation is, but I personally would pump enough milk and have my husband take over the 8 pm - midnight shift for a few nights so that you can catch up on sleep. Sleep is so important in combating PPD. Hopefully the "witching hour" period isn't too long for you.

14. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Kitkat: Is your husband helping with any of the night duties? If not,Inwould suggest having him do some of the diapers and if you are pumping yet, pump some milk and let him handle the feedings from 8:00-midnight. This is one reason we cosleep at the beginning, but I know it's not for everyone. Also, I only change diapers in the night if she has pooped.

15. Kitkat

apricot / 325 posts

@TFrances: thank you for giving me hope!

@whiskers: @avivoca: I was hesitant to star pumping because my lactation consultant told me not to before 4 weeks, but I think I need to put my sanity first. How do you know how much to pump?

16. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Kitkat: When i started with h, I would pump one boob while she nursed off the other. I wanted my boobs to get used to producing at the same time, plus you get a better letdown if baby is nursing too. This time I have pumped to ease engorgement and gotten about 3 oz. per breast (I just pumped the super full one). I'd try giving an ounce at a time to see how he takes to the bottle too. You don't want to waste milk.

Where do you nurse at night? I do some side-lying nursing and I can doze while she feeds. But I don't do it often because it hurts my hips/pelvis. I also sleep with her on my chest so i just guide her to my boob and doze. I also try not to look at my phone while nursing so I stay sleepy.

17. Kitkat

apricot / 325 posts

@avivoca: it varies...I try to do it in bed, but if he's screaming or needs a diaper change I move to either the nursery where the glider is or the couch.

18. whiskers

kiwi / 657 posts

@Kitkat: I just pumped 2 oz today and she sucked it down. It's a delicate balance because you don't want an over supply (been there), but you need enough that someone else can handle the feeds now and then.

19. charmed

persimmon / 1177 posts

Baby's name/sex: Alexander
    Birthday: 10/20
    Feeding: loves the boob, but we need to work on his latch
    Sleep: only day 3, so he is sleeping if he's not nursing (it feels like he is nursing more than sleeping though )
    Recovery: 3rd degree tear, so OUCH! but I feel a million times better than after my csection with dd
    Struggles: terrified to attempt my first postpartum poop
    Victories: I had a successful Unmedicated VBAC, and I'' still riding that high.

Hi ladies! We got home last night and are trying to settle in at home before dd comes home from Grandma's. She was here for a bit last night and it was a trainwreck. She is 21 months old and the terrible twos are starting so lots of attitude. The adjustment for big sister is going to be rough- any tips on manging life with a toddler and newborn would be appreciated!

20. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

Ugh, I'm 11 days postpartum and running a low-grade fever (99). The midwife wants me to keep an eye on my breasts, rest, hydrate, nurse, and alternate tylenol/Motrin and call them if I start to feel worse or my bleeding increases.

21. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

@charmed: Ouch indeed! xx

@avivoca: Any other symptoms or target areas hun? Boobs - or ladybits?

22. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

Did I ever link to Claire's birth story?

I wrote it up on the blog - not sure if I'm allowed to post links here or not, but it's in my profile here. (In 4 parts, or I'd just copy & paste it right here.)

23. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@jaguar: boobs are sore from nursing, and lady parts are just sore in general. Nothing really out of the ordinary I think. I'll keep an eye on it all. I think they are worried I might be getting mastitis.

24. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

Baby's name/sex: AJ (Anthony Joseph)

Birthday: 10/19

Feeding: Breast feeding, he needs a shield and is getting the hang of it more and more each day. LOVES a bottle!!!

Sleep: Not too bad! Do I dare say that.....lol

Recovery: Great I had no rips and I feel pretty good!

Struggles: Nursing, DD was a fantastic nurser and it comforted her. He gets mad I think he has to work at it, but each day is getting better and better!

Victories: With DH off I have made time for BIG sister just me and her since being home and that makes me very happy! She is so in love with him too!

25. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@avivoca: Aww I am sorry! I had a slight fever with DD and they told me it was a milk fever. Hopefully that is all it is for you too!

26. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@charmed: DD is 22 months, so we might be in the same boat! DH is off for 5 weeks and she goes to her sitters still so that is definitely helping so far!

We came home Sat and the weekend went pretty good!
    We just try to keep her busy busy
    Paints, chalk, coloring, play doh, walks around block, DH takes her when he goes anywhere!

The real test for us will be when he goes back to work!!!! That SCARES ME!

27. whiskers

kiwi / 657 posts

@FaithFertility: M's sleep had been going really well and I'm totally afraid to jinx it!

28. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@whiskers: So has A's. But she is starting to have a fussy period at night, conveniently when I want to go to bed.

29. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

My baby is nearly a month old. A MONTH OLD. Someone hold me.

30. delight

pomelo / 5326 posts

@jaguar: she is so beautiful! Look at her hair!! Can't believe she has been with you a month already!!

31. PinkElephant

grapefruit / 4584 posts

@jaguar: eeeek she is SO CUTE. I love your weekly photo setup! Where is her sleepsuit from? I'm currently obsessed with pink and gold.

32. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

@delight: I know! It's INSANE. Time has vanished.

@PinkElephant: It's a little Bonds zippy Wondersuit! I actually bought it a few years ago when I was pregnant with #2 but we never got to use it then - so it's kinda bittersweet seeing it on her now.

33. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@jaguar: beautiful

Aj had his first ped visit
    8.15 lbs only lost 5oz
    Looking great, has a yeast infection on bottom most likely from being on all the antibiotics in NICU!
    He is a piggy can't eat enough, my milk pours and he still wants more

34. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

My little two week old with the monster feet! Seriously, they are SO BIG. We had to switch to 0-3 month sleepers because her feet are too big for the newborn ones.

35. TFrances

apricot / 286 posts

Happy 1 month to my baby Q! He's officially in 3 month clothing (too tall!), doesn't like to be swaddled, eats 4 ounces of formula in a sitting, loves watching his big brother, prefers the baby carrier, and is starting to "talk."

36. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

@avivoca: Awwww Aj has huge hands

@TFrances: So big already!!!

37. whiskers

kiwi / 657 posts

@avivoca: @TFrances: Time is already flying.

38. jaguar

pomegranate / 3764 posts

@TFrances: Happy 1-month! I can't believe it's ours in a few days too. Where did this month go? :o

39. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

Finally making me way over to this thread posting updates!

Baby's name/sex: Baby boy J

Birthdate: 10/22

Feeding: if the amount he's pooping is any indication, then pretty good. He only lost 1.5 ounces in the hospital. His one week appointment is tomorrow, so hopefully he's back above birth weight.

Sleep: overall pretty good. He went about 3.5 hours and then 3 hours between feelings last night, which I think at his point is almost as good as it can get.

Recovery: overall pretty good. Although my stitches feel less than amazing. I'm definitely ready for things to get back to normal down there.

Victories: yesterday I survived a few hours on my own with both babies while Dh ran out to do some errands. Dd did have a few meltdowns, but we made it through.

Struggles: tomorrow morning I'll be on my own getting dd to daycare and Ds to his doctor's appointment. I'm really not looking forward to it all, but hopefully everyone gets where they need to be on time!

40. FaithFertility

eggplant / 11861 posts

All these babies are beautiful!
    Aj is doing well, still struggling to nurse so I am trying but pumping a lot too
    I get 2-3oz but he can down 3oz easy so I have supplemented when I needed!
    He seems to be way more satisfied with the formula
    Anyone else combo feeding?
    This is new to me?!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee