Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Fall 2020

1. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

There are no official announcements yet. Our district has a committee that is working on details of all possible plans - all in person, all online, and various hybrid options. The minutes from their meetings have been public so far but I'm not sure if reading them made me feel better or worse about the fall. I know all of the superintendents in our county are also having meetings, but those aren't public.

I can't imagine DD starting kindergarten online but I also can't imagine her wearing a mask 6+ hours a day. I'm honestly not sure what I am hoping for the plan to be...

2. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

Our district sent out a letter stating they were evaluating different scenarios. Splitting either Morning/Afternoon (our K is typically 8-1:45) or splitting into Mon/Tues and Thurs/Friday with the teachers getting Wed as a day to do online or prep. There was also a scenario where we close every other week but I really don't understand what that achieves unless they meant students attend week on/week off.

We're in CA and the day our Governor mused schools might open in July our Superintendent emphatically stated we will not open early. That's the only definitive statement we've gotten.

3. JCCovi

kiwi / 705 posts

@Corduroy: We’re also CA and all the Bay Area counties have said no opening early. It’s the one thing everyone’s clear on! I think the week on week off is with kids alternating, that’s what our county will be doing.

4. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

No official announcement here, but I do know they’re going to do a “ramp up” for the month of August with kids who they’re worried might have fallen behind, so everyone else won’t start early. The leading idea here, if numbers stay low, is alternating days, with an option to “opt in” to a fully on-line district- or school-wide on-line program if you don’t want to send your kid to school. I’ve also heard it may be different for K/1 (which sounds like a logistical nightmare). But what I mostly know is that they don’t know yet. Our numbers have been and remain fairly low, and summer camps are running (with modifications) in most cases. I have a second grader who I would probably send to school no matter what school looks like, but for my K-er (with asthma), if school is all in desks/not interacting/wearing a mask, I might choose to go on-line (I’m home with baby anyway). I would just pull him and homeschool, but so far distance learning has been very relaxed in my district, and I don’t want the district to lose the money for him/risk not being able to re-enroll in our neighborhood school next year.

5. krispi

clementine / 911 posts

All our district has said so far is that right now, they do plan to start school on time and they are evaluating different models of attendance.

I hope there's at least some in-person attendance for my daughter's sake. I think that would make it a better start to the year for her. If there's distance learning, she's fine with videos, worksheets, activities on the tablet, etc. We may have to hire someone to help with that because we're both working full-time. If her teacher wants to do any Zoom-type sessions, we'll have to have a chat because any time we tried to meet with her previous class on Zoom, it led to an epic meltdown. She gets upset that the teachers can't give her any one-on-one attention in that format.

6. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

We haven't heard anything yet, although surrounding schools are starting school 2 weeks early so I would assume we would as well. I pray that they do not go virtual as it's near impossible with DH and I both working. Our school is small and rural so hopefully that gives us a bit more leeway.

7. caitcat

apricot / 410 posts

We're in the DC suburbs, and haven't heard anything definitive yet. I'm hoping that there's a plan put forward soon, but have no idea when to expect it. I used to teach in our district and reached out to a few teacher friends, who said that at the school level, they've been preparing for an online start (either all online, or blended). I don't envy anyone is a decision-making position with schools right now. So many moving pieces, and so many things to consider.

On our end, I think we're going to un-enroll my daughter and homeschool next year...but I have such conflicting feelings about this, and am waiting to see what the plans from our district look like before really making the call.

8. codeitall

clementine / 874 posts

No announcements from our schools yet here in Utah. We get speech therapy through the school and it is less successful over zoom, so I'm definitely going to push for in-person attendance. He'd be much happier at home I think, but I also want to get him evaluated for anxiety and I think keeping him home for a year would just enable worse anxiety when he does finally go.
    Of course, our kindergarten is only 2.5 hours a day anyway, so who knows what they'll do schedule-wise.

9. Mrs. Toad

persimmon / 1095 posts

We are attending a small private school for PK3-7. DS is entering K and DD is entering PK3. We received notice late last week for an A and B plan.

A is in school, masks optional at this time, more room for social distancing. B is virtual with some live instruction (Zoom, etc.) and some on your own learning time. A is planned unless the student/parents need B. If student/parents need B, then they will have to show medical/social need. B will occur if the state shuts down schools again.

I haven't heard anything from our local public school district. In our case, school starts in early/mid August, on time for our southern school district.

We are good with A as both of us are essential workers. If B occurs, luckily we can partially work at home. We work at the same office and can split days in vs days at home.

10. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

I just realized this thread applies to me - sorry, second baby, sometimes I forget about you!

1) Child's name: Weston
    2) Birth month: March
    3) Type of school: public, private, charter, whatever: public
    4) What method of transportation? It depends - usually, even though the school is super close, we’d drive, because he (and big brother) would be getting dropped off to before-care on the way to work. With COVID, though, both my husband and I anticipate working from home probably at least until 2021, so we may not need before care and can just walk them over.

11. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

Just thought I would bump this up! How is everyone doing? Do you know what the start of school will look like? Certainly an interesting year for LOs starting kindergarten...

12. Dahlia

clementine / 935 posts

@catgirl: We're starting hybrid - 2 days in person, 3 online. I'm anxious about COVID, but also glad my kid will get to go to school some. I have no idea how we're going to teach/watch her the 3 online days as we both work full time.

13. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

We start Monday. We’re at a private school pk-8 school and will be going 100% in person.

We just had our parent orientation yesterday and while they have made changes so we can go to school, it’s a little heartbreaking to hear them out loud.

They’ll require all students to wear masks while inside the class. They’ll only allow one (maybe 2) classes to use the playground a day, which basically means once a week. They aren’t allowing any parents on site which means there’s no big send off ceremony for the first day. They’ll allow them to do group work or centers, but not longer than 15 minutes at a time.

It’s definitely going to be an interesting year....

14. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

We start Thursday. School is distant, likely until January. We picked up Chromebooks today and will get teacher assignments the day before school starts.

DS is enrolled in on campus care but they told us today that they won't open until 8/24 and that's pending construction completion. I'm trying to focus on the positives. I can take vacation time and get the kids started out on the right foot. I think it will be beneficial for my Kindergartener to not be exposed to the online format the same day he starts all day care at a new school. But enough with the unknown and constantly changing plans universe.

15. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@Miss Ariel: wow, that playground rule is awful. Is there any space available on the school grounds for them to have some outside time without using the playground? I assume they want to disinfect between uses?

The SC in our town just voted to do hybrid (they had to backtrack on starting full in person) which will either be mon/tues or thurs/fri. I’m a teacher as well and thankfully I appear to be going back full remote which makes logistics much simpler. I think her class is going to end up tiny - they already were only like 17 but cut in half plus any child can choose a full remote option and obs it’s easier to pull from K entirely too. I actually think it’s a little misguided to do hybrid in this case because it’s just going to make more exposure to whoever is watching the kids on their days not in school.

They’ll have to wear masks but have mask breaks during day. I think kids will be more resilient about wearing masks than most adults are once they get used to it and see their classmates all wearing them too. But I am concerned about the first few weeks of school which can be hot with no ac. Though they did push back the start date two weeks as well to mid September.

We got a new backpack and lunch bag and are just trying to be positive about it! The one good thing about our kindergarteners is that they don’t know what school is “supposed” to look like.

16. Aria

persimmon / 1121 posts

We don’t start until the second week of September. They just finalized the decision to start the year with distance learning and then move to a hybrid model if cases ever get low enough. I think we will choose to be remote the whole year regardless though because I am high risk.

My kid hates Zoom with all of her being so I’m very curious to see what the expectations will be for synchronous learning.

17. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

@petitenoisette: her teacher was basically like we’re going to spend as much time outside as possible, especially since they won’t have to wear masks outside. But we’re in Louisiana where it’s crazy hot, which also makes that difficult.

But yes, I’m assuming they’re looking to clean the playground between usage. To be honest, I’m not actually sure if the kindergarten playground is separate from the other grades. I’m assuming it is, but if not, then their use of it would go down even more.

18. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

We start Sept 8. They announced the plans last week - fully in-person, no caps on class sizes, grade 4 and up have mandatory masks, under that masks are encouraged, teachers will have masks and face shields. I’m furious that they didn’t cap class sizes! Our premier is awful, and he said yesterday that kindergartens would be in cohorts of no more than 15 - what he didn’t mention is that he’s conflating cohorts with student teacher ratios, so that’s two cohorts to a classroom, one with a teacher and one with an ECE. We have the option to pull them out and do virtual but we have to decide for the full year right away and I just can’t keep up learning from home plus working.

We’re still waiting to hear on the schedule - they’re staggering start/recess/lunch times, so I have my fingers crossed that my JK and my grade 1 kids will have similar start times....

19. petitenoisette

pear / 1521 posts

@Miss Ariel: that’s not as bad then despite the heat issue! Kids don’t need a playground but they do need to be outside, especially for mask breaks!

20. LadyDi

persimmon / 1380 posts

@erinbaderin: That's kind of crazy to me that they aren't capping class size. Are rates pretty low in your area?

We are doing a hybrid model, 2 days in school and 3 remote. Kinder in our district is only half day, so he won't be eating lunch there and they are allowed to take their masks off in their seats because desks will be 6 feet apart. Not sure what's happening with recess. They are also offering full remote, but I really want him to start in person so that when school's are shut down in our state (which I think is inevitable) he kind of has an idea of what's going on.

I know it's good that he doesn't have any expectations but I am still so sad that this is how his kindergarten year is going to be. He got a new backpack and he is SO EXCITED to go to school, he wore it for two straight days and kept taking out his school supplies and rearranging them and putting them back in. It's so sweet and innocent and just breaks my heart that this is still going on.

21. bhbee

cantaloupe / 6086 posts

We start 8/19. Texas hasn’t made it easy to fund hybrid options, so after a transition period it’s either 100% virtual or 100% in person (no reduced class sizes unless enough people choose virtual), we had to choose this week. You can switch every 9 weeks but aren’t guaranteed a seat in your local school due to teacher allocation issues (interesting to see if this actually comes up - they say unlikely). We’re doing 100% virtual for both my older kids to start. I’m hopeful it’ll be ok. Up to third grade is asynchronous which really means a bit of both - language arts has to be taught synchronously, the rest will be more mixed, but they’re saying that if kids don’t make it through the zoom they can still be counted present if they turn in work and connect with the teacher. So I’m hopeful about that flexibility. Someone started a fb group for our virtual families and having an older kid, I know a lot of them, which helps.

I don’t know how likely we are to switch to in person before next year (hoping for last 9 weeks at least). Cases have been going down in the county which is good, but I think we’re pretty likely to go back up the rollercoaster as schools and activities restart and they lift other restrictions again which is already happening. Complicating things, my kinder boy has viral-triggered asthma with a tendency to pneumonia. Our local children’s hospital published a guide and it recommends virtual for his situation, given the amount of spread we still have. I’m cautious about covid itself because he and I both have asthma, but I’m also nervous about all the other things he might get that would require dr visits and testing and such. Last year he was sick so much just from 3-day preschool and it was hard - he was pretty close to being admitted for his pneumonia from flu. Masks are only mandated in common areas up to 2nd grade and so it will definitely be interesting to see how much it happens in class (recommended, but what does that mean in practice?). Unknowns drive me crazy so trying to just focus on a good start and not think too far ahead.

22. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

Our district finally sent out the proposed plan today - but the school board doesn’t vote on it until the 17th. The plan is different for the elementary, middle, and high schools. For elementary they are proposing to split the grades in half, with each group having 4 half days a week. So either 8:30-11:10 or 12:30-3:10 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Kids will be expected to do asynchronous work at home for the shift they aren’t at school. Wednesday will be remote for everyone with a synchronous morning and asynchronous afternoon. At school masks are required for all kids and staff. Adults have to stay 6 feet away from kids. Kids can be 3 feet away from other kids. Desks will have plexiglass shields. They are updating the HVAC systems. The half days mean no lunch at school. It doesn’t sound like the playground will be open but they haven’t said for sure.

There is also an option for 100% online but we don’t know much about it. They said at least half of the day would be synchronous and the rest would be asynchronous. And if you sign up it is for the entire first semester. No real details though.

I’m not sure what we are going to pick but we have to decide by Thursday the 13th. I worry about them having time to properly sanitize between the two groups. I worry that as much as my kid wants, and needs, socialization that having to wear a mask and stay away from each other will be harder. I worry that many of the teachers in our district have said they aren’t comfortable with the plan.

23. Mrs. Toad

persimmon / 1095 posts

We start Monday at a PK3-7 private school. Masks required for grade 3 and above. Interestingly enough, the parish isn't starting for another month. One playground, but there is only one class per grade level. Last year, he had 24 in his class, but I suspect that it will be smaller this year as public is free.

100% virtual is an option, but we both should be in the office. Worst case scenario, we can both stay home every other day. Virtual is a mix of synchronous and asynchronous learning. I suspect we will be remote learning during the school year.

24. charm55

apricot / 286 posts

We start after Labour Day with my youngest starting Kindergarten. I am actually teaching Kindergarten myself this year (but told admin I’d prefer not to have Dd2 in my class!)

We are going back full time but with class caps of 15 (normally 21). We will become a bubble family and will not interact with other bubbles. Within our class though, things should be pretty normal. We won’t need to social distance or wear masks. For me, it is best case scenario. There are still some kinks to be worked out but our provincial government has been very proactive throughout this whole thing so I’m feeling good about the year. Daycares have been operating under this same plan for the past 3 months with no cases and a lot has been learned from that.

I should note we have very very low rates of COVID - I read last week my province has had the lowest Covid rate per capita of any province or state to date. If I lived in the US I would feel much much differently about going back to the classroom or sending my children to school. I totally emphasize with the stress a lot of you are facing

25. josina

pomegranate / 3973 posts

We start K on August 24th, which is our normal start date, normal times/days. Masks highly recommended on the bus but not required in class. They will use separate entrances for grades so everyone is not using the same doors. Increased cleaning/hand washing, decreased interactions. No visitors. Other than that we haven't seen much details yet.

They do offer an all-virtual option. The school is less than 200 students and classes probably around 15-20 normally.

Statewide our schools have to be open unless we our district hits a 15% positivity rate. Our counties are around 7-8% now and hopefully going down.

26. Mrs. Pajamas

kiwi / 702 posts

First day of kindergarten is today!!! I'm in CA so 100% virtual and I'm so disappointed that DD1's start to public school is not how I imagined it to be for her. She'll have 30 min zoom with her teacher/class M-F for the first three weeks, then on week 4 they'll supposedly launch more frequent class meetings and small groups--likely 3, 30 min zooms/say plus some asynchronous material. Part of me just wants to opt out of the K year altogether as it just seems impossible she'll get much out of virtual school. Sigh...will report back in a few days how it's going.

27. bhbee

cantaloupe / 6086 posts

@Mrs. Pajamas: good luck, definitely interested to hear your report!

28. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

We started our first day of in person school today. I didn’t think to say anything to dd about how she wouldn’t be able to hug her teachers. Of course, she saw one of her teachers from pre-k last year in the carpool line who she hadn’t seen since March. Dd went up to her to say hi and she instead stepped back and gave a big wave, and dd just kind of stared at her not sure what was going on. It was a little heartbreaking and I definitely had tears in my eyes as I drove off.

29. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

@LadyDi: Rates are pretty low, yes - I'm in Ontario and for the province we had 115 cases yesterday, the whole previous week had been under 100. My town in particular has only had 200 cases total, but on the other hand we're kind of a commuter suburb to Toronto, which was pretty bad at the peak. I also think it's nuts that they aren't capping class sizes - I had hopes that some parents wouldn't send their kids back so class sizes would be artificially low because of that, but my friend who's a teacher told me yesterday that they needed to have something like 24 kids in a class to fund it so I guess instead of having smaller classes they'd just maybe have fewer classes? Not sure. The school board is being pretty good about sending updates, and there's still a month to go, so I'm just crossing my fingers.

I totally agree with your sadness that this is how they're going to start. My son was so excited to get a lunchbag, he insisted on eating all his meals out of his Yumbox for a couple of days. I hate that he's going into it like this, with masks and face shields and general weirdness.

30. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@erinbaderin: In our district families were allowed to choose an all year virtual option even though nobody is expected to go back in person until Jan. The result is that enrollment is down for the ones that didn't opt out. Most of the classes will be blended to make full classes (K/1, 2/3, etc). The parents that chose the fully virtual track are frustrated to discover that their classes are K-5 but they'll really only be online together for a 20 min homeroom session.

31. MenagerieMama

pear / 1547 posts

Jumping in late to the game - but our district is going full remote, and actually the recommendation for the whole state is to go full remote. Originally our district had voted to do a hybrid model, with the option to do full remote, and possibly more days in the class for K/1, but our cases as a state have gone up so they locked everything down. Our positivity rate has hovered around 6% for a long time, but the counts/100k had gone up.

DH and I are both essential workers, and we have 3 kids total, so it's been a hot mess. School starts in a month, and so I'm having to make plans for childcare and change my work schedule to accomodate, but yet school hasn't released anything about how their distance learning will work. I currently work 3 days/week, and DH works every other Saturday with every other Monday off. So we'll have LO1 in AM daycare at the same place as her siblings (who will continue to go 3 full days/wk) and then 2 d/wk I will work remote from home in the afternoon (which is doing virtual visits with patients, so not ideal for multitasking) and the other afternoon DH will pick up and we'll alternate care with LO1's best friend for the days he works. This is taking a lot of work, and with my luck the synchronous work for school will only be in the mornings. But I can't wait on the district when I need to save a spot in childcare and change my work schedule!

Kids have all been in daycare other than 6 wks during the peak when I was able to keep them home, but daycare has stayed open. They're a partial outdoor program and right now LO1 wears a mask all day - same for any kids 5 and up. Our state has a mask mandate in place.

I'm so so sad about this milestone not happening the way I had imagined it. Especially when I can't imagine an end anytime soon.

32. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

So we have, tentatively, agreed to try the hybrid model our district is doing. Part of me is still thinking about switching to the 100% online option but I feel pretty confident that our district is handling things well. We are also in a state that is doing very well. Though I am fully prepared to request a switch to online if things don't go well, or even to pull her and homeschool (I have all the paperwork filled out, would just need to drop it off).

We got our cohort and teacher assignment yesterday. DD was placed in the afternoon group. The kindergartners are all doing a one hour one-on-one meet and greet with their teachers next week, before school starts. So we'll walk her up to the building, the teacher will come get her, give her a quick tour of the school and classroom, and then conduct the kindergarten screening that usually happens in the spring. I'm so happy they are doing something to help with the transition! Our start date was pushed out yet again though.

We also found out that the school is providing all school supplies this year. So we only need to provide a backpack, water bottle, and her masks. They are requesting 2-4 masks be sent per day. Our school normally gives devices to grades 3-5 but this year they are giving each k-2 student an ipad as well.

For those of you who have started - how is it going?

33. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

@catgirl: we started and it’s been going pretty well! They’re spending a ton of time outdoors, even eating lunch outside. To keep kids further apart, half of them sit at tables while the others have floor desks, alternating each day. And surprisingly based on some of the photos her teacher has shared, the kids are doing fairly good wearing masks in the classroom. So far, so good!

34. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

@Miss Ariel: glad to hear it's going well! Do you live somewhere that will have good weather for awhile? I know our district is trying to make lots of outdoor "classrooms" available, but not sure how helpful they will be by the end of this month or early next month. I think they have 60ish so far, but that's for our whole campus - elementary, middle, and high school.

35. JCCovi

kiwi / 705 posts

Just saw this thread was active again!

We agonized over the decision but ultimately pulled my kids out of our private school and are homeschooling. At least until January. We’re Ca so everyone is starting virtually and we just couldn’t go through that again (especially while paying tuition for it). Our private school has submitted a waiver but who knows how long that will be. They had developed a very thoughtful reopening plan which is probably the least risk possible. Stable cohorts or max 12, outdoor classrooms weather permitting, no visitors on campus, additional restrictions on the counties quarantine rules, etc. We were really excited to go back before the governor standardized everyone.

Homeschool is off to a good start though! My little kinder guy seems really happy, although he takes forever to complete simple tasks. I’m choosing to really focus on a strong foundation in handwriting and am trying to find good creative ways to help him improve in that area. We’ve already found that worksheets aren’t a great fit for him so I’m working the worksheet problems on the white board with him and treating them more as a game. We’re doing Singapore Math.

My 2nd grader already understands what school should be like so it’s super easy to work with her and she can do a lot independently. I’m struggling a bit to match her level with our math curriculum and have decided we’re just going to move quickly (testing multiple times a week) until we catch up with new material. I’m nervous about choosing where I think she should be and missing something. I figure most classes start with a month of math review anyway right?

Good luck everyone! I’m jealous of those who have physical school but we’re making the best of what we have.

36. Miss Ariel

nectarine / 2210 posts

@catgirl: we’re in Louisiana, so right now is almost the worst weather we’ll have. (It’s basically 100 degrees outside!) It does still get colder and will occasionally drop in to the 30s, but that’s pretty rare.

37. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

Today was our first day! My little guy was super excited in the morning, he insisted on wearing his backpack on the walk over to school despite it covering him from shoulders to knees and being wider than him. Once his brother headed off into the big yard, though, he started to get nervous and clingy. When we took him to the kindergarten area he just hugged me and kept saying he wanted me to go in with him, I felt so bad! You could tell that he was trying to be brave but his little face was so sad. We finally got him to go into the "kindergarten pen" and promised to wait until he went into his class, which happened about one minute later, but he was wiping tears away and I felt so bad for him. There were only 5 kids today (they're doing a staggered start) and as he went in his teacher put her hand on his head, which made me feel better - I'd been worried that they'd be really strict about the social distancing, but I should have known that they really care about the kids.

38. catgirl

nectarine / 2018 posts

@erinbaderin: that must have been hard! I hope he has a good first day!

Today is DD’s first day but since she was assigned the afternoon cohort we don’t drop off until 12:30. She woke up so excited but has been getting more nervous as the morning goes on.

39. Littlebit7

nectarine / 2243 posts

we have to quarantine for 2 weeks because we travelled out of state so we are missing the "first day". I just haven't told my daughter that. So we are holding on to 2 weeks more of "summer" before we head back to school. She is full time in person.

40. erinbaderin

pomelo / 5573 posts

First day down! As per W, he had a “great day” although when I ask what he did the only concrete thing he can point to is he made a paper bag raccoon puppet. We took a sneaky walk past the school at lunchtime to see if we could spot him and he seemed happy enough in the play yard, so that helped my stress. Wearing a mask all day didn’t seem to phase him.

@catgirl: how was your first day?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee