Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2014 - NAMES!

1. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@CastleGirl: congratulations on your boy! What a great name

@PEAPIE: I really like Rowan. I like Owen, too, but Rowan is a great name.

So...I THINK we have our names picked out, but I'm reserving the right to change my mind For now, though, I think we're going with Imogen Agnes for a girl (we'd call her Ginny), and Cyrus Matthew for a boy (we'd call him Cy). Both names are classic but still unique, which is exactly what I'm going for. I'm not telling anyone in real life the names, but I'm excited to have them picked out. It makes it feel so real!!!

2. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@LovelyPlum: love the name choices!

3. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@jhd: thanks! I was really nervous about it at first-naming another human is a HUGE responsibility. But I'm feeling good now

4. luckypenny

grapefruit / 4582 posts

@LovelyPlum: oh man I love your names! Agnes is one of my all time fave girl names

5. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@luckypenny: thanks! Mine too, though I wasn't quite brave enough to put it as a first name (not a huge fan of Aggie as a nn). And I am head-over-heels for Cyrus. It just makes me really, really happy.

6. MrsKoala

cantaloupe / 6869 posts

@LovelyPlum: I seriously your names. Cyrus has always been on my list but DH doesn't like it.

7. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@MrsKoala: thanks It came up one day when I was at a coffee shop, and the little boy behind me with his dad was Silas. We decided we liked Cyrus better, but both are so fun. Are you sharing yours?

8. MrsKoala

cantaloupe / 6869 posts

@LovelyPlum: No, we're not sharing with anyone until baby is born. I'm weirdly paranoid about someone seeing one of our names and commenting to me about it (basically, trying to avoid criticism). But I just love name posts and it's so hard not to just tell people!

9. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@MrsKoala: lol, I hear you! I'm a little paranoid, too, and I don't want to have to deal with criticism. I really don't want to tell anyone in real life, but I was *bursting*, so I took the plunge and posted on here I can't wait to hear yours!

10. luckypenny

grapefruit / 4582 posts

Anyone making any progress with names? We still can't think of a boys name for the life of us lol

11. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

We aren't sure. And even when we are I have decided I don't want to share with people IRL until he is born. I currently have 115 nosy teenagers at work asking me not to mention coworkers and I really just don't want to deal with all those opinions!

12. Dandelion

watermelon / 14206 posts

@luckypenny: Yep, we're set on Matthew. I'm pretty sure we're set on William as a middle name, too. My dad will be happy.

13. luckypenny

grapefruit / 4582 posts

@jhd: I wouldn't want all those opinions either! Lol

@Dandelion: love it

14. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@Dandelion: love both those names. i would use William but Will rhymes with my nickname!

15. PEAPIE

apricot / 344 posts

I'm pretty sure we'll be going with Owen Samuël.

I hesitate to declare it official before baby boy is here, but we honestly can't find a name we like better than Owen. So I'm pretty sure... ?

16. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@PEAPIE: i love the name! we still haven't decided 100%.

17. gilmoregirl

persimmon / 1273 posts

@PEAPIE: love it! Samuel is still one of our top choices for a first name.

We've got a list of favorites (Henry, Samuel, Nathaniel, Benjamin) and Patrick will probably be the middle name. But we'll decide for certain when he gets here.

18. PEAPIE

apricot / 344 posts

@gilmoregirl: I like it as a first name too! But we wanted it to be the same as DH. And all of your names sound good with Patrick as a middle! So all if them are great!

19. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@PEAPIE: I love it! I hear you on being hesitant to declare it, because our minds could always change. But it's great that you think you have a decision!

20. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

@PEAPIE: aww I really like that!!

@gilmoregirl: I like all of those options! Benjamin (nn Benje after my great uncle) would totally be on our short list for boy names if we didn't have a close friend with that name. And DH's middle name is Samuel-- very good name!

21. gilmoregirl

persimmon / 1273 posts

@PEAPIE: That's really cool! That's where we got Patrick -- it's my husband's middle name. He and his dad share a first name and have different middles, but it's been a total pain for them. So we're thinking we'll give the baby his middle name instead.

@nana87: We were hoping to pick a family name for our little guy, but we have limited choices b/c of other names. Plus our families have some recent immigrants and the names were a little TOO Italian/Irish for us But my husband's grandfather was Padraig, so Patrick's a happy medium haha.

Our girl's name has been settled since before we were married -- Nora Margaret, for both of our grandmothers -- and I just love seeing so many little Nora's being born. I hope we'll get to use it someday

22. MrsSpadusa

olive / 70 posts

I love all the name choices on here- a lot of them are very unique!
    We decided to name our little girl Emma Grace. Probably will just call her Emma but DH and I figure that she can use her full name later on in her life if she wants to be more "sophisticated", lol.
    I am so excited for everyone!!

23. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

@MrsSpadusa: what a sweet name!!

24. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@MrsSpadusa: two of my favorite girl names!

25. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@MrsSpadusa: I love that name!

@gilmoregirl: and I know that you can't use it, but I do love Nora

So remember how I said our boy's name was set? Yeah...not so much anymore. DH decided he wasn't comfortable with it, so it's back to the drawing board we go. Which probably means we're having a boy

26. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@LovelyPlum: LOL well my parents were all set on a girls name and had NO boys names at all. they told me it was a good thing I was a girl! seriously I know you will find a great name.

27. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@jhd: fair And I come from a long line of indecisive namers, so I really shouldn't be surprised. I just have *no* ideas now, so we're sorta stuck. I know we'll come up with something, just not sure what!

28. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

SOOOO.....just found out that my good friend (lived next door to each other in college for the first 2 years, bridesmaid in my wedding, etc) named her daughter who was born in late Dec Rose....pretty dang similar to Rosalie! We hadn't shared our name ideas with each other and we aren't going to change ours, but I hope she doesn't think it's too weird? We actually live really close to each other now (less than 2 miles) but rarely see each other (few times a year), though I am hoping that changes since we'll have little girls the same age, and our social circles don't really overlap at all...Hmmmmm!

29. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@nana87: that's not too close, in my opinion! I love the name you picked!

30. luckypenny

grapefruit / 4582 posts

@nana87: aww man! I think they're different enough that it doesn't matter but I can see it would be a little bummer. But I love love LOVE Rosalie and don't think it will be an issue for you guys

31. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

@LovelyPlum: @luckypenny: thanks ladies!! we aren't going to change her name, we love it too much and even though she hasn't been born yet it feels like it's too late, she already is our little Rosalie! I already wrote my friend back (we were emailing all this) and she hasn't responded yet, but I'm sure it'll be fine. It's not really the same thing, but sort of similar in terms of what could be considered stepping on toes; we're still friends after she planned her bridal shower on the same day as mine (she got engaged after my wedding and shower dates were set). Neither of us is very dramatic so I don't think she'll be upset. And I also don't think we'll use Rose as a nickname anyway, I gravitate more towards Lee or Lee-lee, or just using her full name

32. preggomeggo82

apricot / 355 posts

Our little guy's name is Calvin Charles. Named for each of our grandfathers.

But it's a secret so shhhhhh!

33. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@preggomeggo82: LOVE those names!

34. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@nana87: i wouldn't worry about it. i love the name you chose! and like you said you don't see each other super often.

35. luckypenny

grapefruit / 4582 posts

@preggomeggo82: awww I love those names!

36. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

so, phew!! I just heard back from my friend with the baby named Rose, and she was just like "oh how funny that their names are so similar!" so, all is good! haha, I knew it would be, but I'm glad anyways

37. jhd

coconut / 8079 posts

@nana87: yay! i'm glad that all worked out ok.

38. jill_a55

apricot / 448 posts

What do you girls think about a nickname being the actual full name?? My DH doesn't like nicknames when the baby has a full name... but I do we are in the biggest name debate ever and am pretty sure our baby will not have a name when he comes. haha

39. nana87

cantaloupe / 6171 posts

@jill_a55: It depends on the name, but in general, I'm with you, I prefer a full name that has a nickname. Like, calling a Katherine by the nickname Katie rather than just naming the baby Katie; I'd rather officially name Katherine in case she wants to use a full name later on professionally or whatever (not that Katie by itself is unprofessional, my bff is actually a straight up Katie with no "full" name and she has a great, professional career ). Or Dan/Daniel, Ben/Benjamin, etc; there's nothing unprofessional about a Dan or a Ben but I'd still use the full name...But on the other hand, neither my name nor dh's really has a nickname associated with it--we go by our full names all the time (I'm an Anna; my parents call me nana, hence my username, but no one else does. my grandma called me Ann but she's the only one! no one ever called me Annie...) and I think that works too! dh is an Evan, and goes by no nickname at all (he doesn't like Ev). Are there any names without set nicknames that you guys both like?

40. jill_a55

apricot / 448 posts

@nana87: My name is a nickname w/o a full name (Jill.. obviously ) My mom wanted to do Jillian but my dad wouldn't do it... I kinda wish it was so that I had the option, which is why I am kind of stuck on doing a full name/nickname option... My brother and sister both have full names but have gone by the nicknames their whole lives...

I love the name Theo, and my husband likes it.. currently it's the highest name on our very short, terrible list of names lol. However, I would like it to be Theodore and just always call him Theo. I think part of my attachment is because Theodore is a family name but my DH doesn't agree at all! I can't think of any names we like that don't have set nicknames... most of the names we've thrown around have gotten shot down because I didn't like the possible nickname.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee