Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. mamabolt

nectarine / 2797 posts

@Cherrybee: I'm so sorry things are going poorly for you and you feel like you have to give up BF. It is so much harder having a NB with an older LO running around! I hope you recover from your mastitis quickly, it is the worst!

@jh524: My LO has been a terror lately too. I swear she just blatantly ignores everything DH or I say to her. She's always been a spirited child but lately, yikes. We are trying to get some additional discipline strategies in place, but I can't wait to ship her off to daycare tomorrow.

We are ok but still fighting the swapped days and nights here. Baby was up from about 3-6am last night. It's beautiful weather here today so we spent several hours in the yard this AM so hoping all the sunlight helps reset his rhythms. I guess we went through some of this with DD four years ago, but since she was our only we were able to sleep in rather than get an enthusiastic 7 am wakeup from a preschooler. And DH is awful (a) in the morning and (b) on reduced sleep, so he's been kind of a whiny mess and napping more than I am which doesn't really seem fair since I'm the one with a kid attached to me every wakeup. At least all the wakeups and nursing are productive, he was back up well over his birthweight at his appointment Friday, gained 13 oz in a week! DH goes back to work tomorrow so I'll be on my own with baby and trying to handle DDs drop offs/pick ups for daycare and other activities, we'll see how this goes...

Hope everyone else is doing OK.

2. auggiefrog

kiwi / 631 posts

@Cherrybee: I'm sorry hon. I'm having a similar experience BFing. I'm going to try and give it another week, or at least until I can get an appointment with a lactation counciler. But every time I pump, and every time Liam rejects my breast, it tears me up. I hate watching him spit up the formula, and the fact that I am failing at this, but being glued to a pump and a pumping schedule is killing me as well. I feel like unless he can latch the pumping is going to effect my relationship with him too much for BFing to be worth it. I'm sorry about all the other stuff. I can't imagine keeping up BFing and dealing with all of that as well. I really hope things turn around for you.

3. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@mamabolt: @auggiefrog: Thank you. I'm feeling much better about it all now. I guess I was grieving this morning.... but DH handled both kids this afternoon while I cleaned the house top to bottom, had a shower and emerged a confident formula feeding mummy.

4. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

Umm.... girls..... shit just got more confusing today. I pumped on a reduced schedule yesterday, hoping to gradually reduce mu milk supply. Only my body had other ideas. I woke at 8am (after pumping at 10.30pm, 2am and 6am) to my right breast super engorged and throbbing as though it was trying to pump itself. When I took off my bra & breast pad, milk started pouring out of me. I pumped and it was not the creamy transitional milk any more, my mature milk had come in big time. I tried S on the breast, with shield, and she nursed for half an hour - but then cried for a bottle, boshing 80ml in a few minutes, so I'm not sure how much she actually got. Later, I tried her on the right with shield, she sucked for 15mins but kept losing the nipple and struggling to latch on again, even when it was in her mouth. She did get some out, because it was pouring down her face, but she needed another 80ml bottle after to calm down. She screamed and screamed.

I dont know what to do now..... because there is a midwife in my city who is trained to diagnose and divide tongue ties. She isn't allowed to perform divisions in my area (she was trained elsewhere, and then moved here. Our Primary Care Trust (NHS "area") doesn't do tongue tie division). But she can diagnose and I can go and see her on Weds. If she finds a tongue tie, she can refer me to the nearest tongue tie clinic 40 miles away that does do division (a different Primary Care Trust). I'm not sure how long the wait will be.

Given our limited success today, now I have milk that actually comes out easily, I think it would be daft not to find out if tongue tie is the cause of our problems. But Dh doesn't agree. He's exhausted and so over seeing me so unwell (fever and chills) every time I'm engorged. He's worried about me as he says he can feel the anxiety pouring out of me every time I try to nurse and she freaks out. He is scared that I wont cope alone when he's back at work next week, and he's worried I'm going to get PPD again. He's really disappointed that I want to start trying again, when he thought we had put this madness to bed yesterday.

I dont know what to do now.

Oh and I need to add that there isn't an IBCLC that services my area. There is a charity called the National Childbirth Trust who have a breastfeeding counsellor working in my area. She has been a great support to me via text and has visited me at home. She gave me some help with my positioning but couldnt get S to feed. She was the person who suggested tongue tie because all the symptoms are there, but neither of us can actually see one.

5. mamabolt

nectarine / 2797 posts

@Cherrybee: it seems not too much work to at least get the local midwife to look at S for TT, especially since you do have a strong desire to nurse. Maybe remind your DH that even though nursing is stressful now if you get kinks worked out it will become easier as you go on. But I see his side too looking out for your emotional well-being. Good luck mama.

6. MaisyMay

GOLD / cantaloupe / 6703 posts

@Cherrybee: fixing little man's tongue tie made a big difference for us. I think it withe be worth the time investment for you to look into it. I only nurse him about once a day, choosing to pump and supplement the rest, but before his tongue was fixed I was starting to hate the idea of nursing him. It hurt just way too much.

7. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@MaisyMay: Its the horrific symptoms I cant handle. I hurt constantly, my right boob is so painful. I cant even hug my DD1 or hold baby on my chest. I alternate between violent chills and boiling sweats, getting small windows of relief by taking paracetamol (Tylenol) and ibuprofen combined - and the ibuprofen sets off my asthma. Seriously, I'm soaked right now. I would obviously love to breastfeed but close second is to formula feed without having to deal with all this.

8. MaisyMay

@Cherrybee: that sounds absolutely miserable. The nice thing about formula is that DH can take some of the feeds and give you a break. My Dh takes one weekend night and any wakes after 5:30 since he normally gets up around 545.

9. Canoli

persimmon / 1458 posts

@Cherrybee: goodness, that just sounds awful! I don't even know what to say. Whatever you decide know that you are doing the best for your LO and family. Both of my kids were initially breastfed and formula fed before I changed over to 100% formula. They are both happy, healthy growing little boys. Whatever you decide it will be okay. Although, I know it is easy for me to say this and I know how much you wanted to nurse her. Hang in there!

10. akcoffeebean

cherry / 204 posts

@Cherrybee: I'm so sorry that it's so hard right now. I think whatever you do, whether it's to pursue bf or ff you should feel proud of yourself for taking care of your family. There are so many different needs to juggle right now with two kids and taking care of yourself. Getting everyone fed, however you do it and whatever way works best for all of you is an accomplishment. Neither decision makes you a better or worse mom. You're a wonderful mom because you love your family and you are exactly the person they need.

11. akcoffeebean

cherry / 204 posts

The post partum hormone crash is real and in full swing over here. I'm overwhelmed, tearful and the only person who I don't find annoying right now is my toddler.

I keep telling myself that it's hormones and will even out soon but this is a serious mind f$&-

I had terrible PPA and PPD with DS and I Stayed on meds to try and make it easier this time around. But the four day hormone crash is a little scary.

12. MrsLilybugg

pear / 1650 posts

@akcoffeebean: @MaisyMay: I finally started a baby blues thread - I hope we can all find support! http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/baby-blues-ppd-ppa-support-thread?replies=2#post-2528285

13. MaisyMay

@akcoffeebean: it is seriously intense, like I think I scared my DH intense.

Part of me is appalled to admit this, but there have been times lately where I really don't like my toddler because of her behavior. I get so tired of repeating myself and explaining why she can't do something, or why she needs to do something. Dh tries to help redirect her, but when she is arguing with me about why I am pumping for not the first time, I am over it, or ignoring my directions for the nth time. I try to remember her little world had been totally rocked latent with so many changes, but it is hard.

14. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@MaisyMay: oh my goodness. I've had those same feelings about my toddler. He rough houses next me and then accidentally kicks me the next. I've been irritated easily lately.

15. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@MaisyMay: That's exactly how I've been feeling. My toddler has struggled with the transition and I alternate between feeling deeply hurt for her and angry with her for making this harder than it needs to be. The day I decided i had to quit trying to BF (because the constant trying, then pumping was giving me no time to dedicate to her), I had REALLY negative feelings towards her (like - she ruined my life and now she's taking this away from me too type feelings). I hated myself for the way I was feeling. It was rough.

Things here have taken a turn for the better. My mastitis got worse and so I saw my doctor yesterday. He was appalled by what he saw and said that if it didn't show signs of improvement in 24 hours with the antibiotics he gave me I would need to be admitted to hospital. I turned to DH and said "see, I told you I was ill!" The antibiotics have kicked in now, I think, and I am feeling a little better. I decided to stop pumping (which I know goes against all the advice) but I think I just need to leave my poor boobs alone! They're feeling much better for it.

In other news.... I'm back in pre pregnancy jeans today!

16. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

OMG you guys, last night was brutal!! We fed and burped S, then went up to bed with her at 11. Immediately, she woke and started crying and rooting for another feed. She glugged another bottle, threw it back up and then screamed some more. At 1am, DH took her back downstairs and I went to sleep. At 3am, my toddler woke and I checked in on DH after dealing with her and S still hadn't been to sleep. He was at his wits end so I took over. More screaming, rooting for food, pulling her legs up, general windy/colicky behaviour. A warm bath helped a bit and she eventually fell asleep on me at 5am, but every time I tried to move her, up came the legs and the crying started. At 7am, she wanted another feed and finally fell into a fitful sleep in her crib afterwards.... but, of course, E woke up. We are soooooo tired! We've bought colic drops, Dr Browns bottles and partially hydrolysed formula today (the winning combo with E) so we will see how we get on. *yawn*

17. MaisyMay

@Cherrybee: hugs about the toddler drama and yay on the jeans! I got mine out this week too, felt so good to have zipping pants instead of pull on.

18. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

My goodness you guys, I don't know how you all do it taking care of your newborns and taking care if a toddler too! Super mommas!

So, Piper wouldn't latch, so I am pumping. I really need to get a hands free pumping bra, I think that will make a huge difference. I don't mind the pumping, but I can't do anything except sit here holding the damn attachments and that's annoying as hell. We supplemented with formula for a few days but now my supply is keeping up with her needs, so I think we will be exclusive pumping from here on out. We have the formula if needed though.
    We came home from the hospital on Wednesday. Yesterday was her first pediatrician appointment and she was back up to 7.6 (she was 7.3 last check at the hospital) so doing good. Her jaundice test came back great too and she passed her hearing test on both sides.

AFM, I am still sore (OMG getting out of bed is hell! I might sleep on the recliner till I heal). And I had my first bowel movement this morning, that was horrible! Lol

OK I think that is all for now. Cute baby pic (coming home outfit)for reading my long ass update lol

19. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@JennyLayneAZ: she's so cute! Good to hear she's doing great! Omg the first bowel movent is like birthing another baby! Horrid!!!! I thought I was going to pass out. Was holding onto the towel rack trying to survive. Lol

20. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@jh524: lol I shed a few tears. And contemplated calling 911 lmao I really don't feel like the colace did much to help me, but hopefully the next will be easier.

21. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@JennyLayneAZ: lol. Yes drink tons of water! I think that helped me and maybe some coffee if your into that

22. autumnleaves

pear / 1622 posts

@JennyLayneAZ: Look at that outfit - Piper is so adorable!

I ended up supplementing the second night in the hospital because the colostrum did not seem to be enough for E and cluster feeding was not working either. We are home now and my milk is starting to come in and I am hoping that will satisfy him. We have a weight check tomorrow and I am hoping he has not lost too much weight. We're struggling with keeping him awake for some feedings and then him not sleeping after other feedings. Hopefully we'll figure this all out soon.

23. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@autumnleaves: I was struggling with the same thing last week. It's amazing how much a week makes. My lo has awake time a few times a day and is so much more alert this week. You'll get it figured out

Unfortunately my lo is showing signs of reflux. He grunts a lot and acts like he's uncomfortable. It seems more so after 9pm and he struggles most the night. He's also waking multiple times a night now. I elevated his bassinet mattress and lay him so his head is turned to the side. I actually somewhat terrified that something will happen like when my first son was two weeks old. He was on his back and spit up all his milk then choked on it and couldn't recover. I had to call 911 and we were life lighted to our nearest nicu and stayed there for a week. It was the worst experience ever but thankfully he was ok. So needless to say, I'm Scared of laying this lil guy on his back and him choke especially since he's showing signs of reflux. Any advice?
    Has anyone else's lo had reflux and if so what did you do to help them?

Also, how do you lay your lo to sleep?

24. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@jh524: We are having the same issues (and had them with E, too) only we are calling it colic. We've just changed her to a new formula, assuming milk protein intolerance like her sister, and it has really helped. Are you breastfeeding or FF?

@JennyLayneAZ: Aaaaw! So adorable!!

25. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@autumnleaves: @Cherrybee: thank you! 😍
    @jh524: OMG that is absolutely terrifying. I wouldn't be able to sleep or leave Piper alone ever again if that happened to us!!

26. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@Cherrybee: yes, I'm breastfeeding.
    @JennyLayneAZ: it was terrifying. I'm losing sleep because I'm watching this guy like a hawk.

27. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

Alright other c-section mommas, how long until your swelling went away? Am I just not drinking enough water? I'm so over it!

28. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@JennyLayneAZ: mine took about a week plus some. Drinking water and walking really helped me
    @Cherrybee: how are things going for you?

So my lo and the reflux has improved by raising the mattress a bit in his bassinet and swaddling him arms in. My doctor suggested it and so far it's really helped him get some sleep. At his two week appt. yesterday he's already up to 8lb 11oz. Umbilical stump fell off a few days ago and his circ looks great.

How's everyone doing??

29. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@jh524: Much, much better, thanks. The mastitis has gone and formula feeding is going great - she is now a whole pound over her birth weight. E is slowly warming up to being a big sister... and I'm actually enjoying being a mummy this time around.

How are things with you now?

30. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@Cherrybee: adorable!! Glad things are going well for you this time

You guys, I got 2 hours sleep last night. Piper was up from 11-sometime after 2 and again at 4. She went back down around 5vand I passed out so hard that I didn't even hear DH leave for work. I am exhausted.😪

31. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

wonderful pea / 17279 posts

Post partum has been interesting...

Just now I had to get mama bear on something that flew into the house on Sunday. I lost sight of it in the back bedrooms. Then, it reappeared in the kitchen. I smooshed it against cabinets and then chased it hopping and flailing on the floor. It made a desperate attempt to keep moving, but I was not going to let it sting my baby!

Here's a pic of the blue eyed flying bug next to my thumb for scale.

32. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: ack! That thing would totally freak me out too!

33. auggiefrog

kiwi / 631 posts

@jh524: Sounds good!

@Cherrybee: Too cute! I'm glad you are in a better place now.

Liam had his 2 week appointment yesterday. We got a referral to see an ENT about his tongue tie. He also has some thrush, so we have meds for that. But we are a pound over our birth weight. So despite the feeding issues he's still getting enough food.

I saw a lactation consultant on Monday and I got some insight as well as some things to try. I figure I can give pumping/ trying to latch another week or so. But now that my supply is good, I feel guilty for considering going to formula.

34. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@JennyLayneAZ: girrrrl you're not alone. I'm exhausted as well except I've got no nap because my toddler needs me as soon as he wakes up and this morning he got out of bed at 5 am.
    @Mrs. Lemon-Lime: omg I'd die!!!!! That thing had a stinger??!! Good thing it's dead

Enjoying my new big boobies! The ladies are out but holy hell is it normal for your let down to be painful?!

35. akcoffeebean

cherry / 204 posts

@jh524: @JennyLayneAZ: that sounds awful. I hope you two get some sleep soon! Jh524- I had a painful letdown with my first and it got better about six weeks in I really liked the medela and lanisoh gel soothers for sore nips until it got better.

@auggiefrog: good luck with the ENT!

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: that is terrifying. Completely terrible. Eww

@Cherrybee: they are so so cute!

I'm annoyed that it's taking so long to recover this time around. With my son I felt better quickly and was back to my normal activity level about a week after he was born.

This time I'm two weeks out and less active than ever because every time I move more than a little bit I start having bright red lochia again. I had the on call OB check me out and he said to just rest more. Ugh. And I still have a lot of joint pain in my hips, legs and feet.

But, little one is an easy baby. I am so so thankful that she's been a calm baby so far. If she was a high needs like my DS is I think I'd lose my mind.

36. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

Today, baby and I had our first doctor appointments. Mine was to get the staples removed. The doctor showed me my incision area. Her incision is beautiful looks like a single strand of hair just across my belly. But, the staples above and below the incision line formed a nasty keloid. Yep, I have two!

I told DH those will be my identifying marks if he ever has to identify me at the morgue.

ETA: baby was almost at his birth weight, just one ounce off. The pediatrician orders are to feed the baby!

37. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: glad your appt went well. I wonder if there things that can prevent keloids from developing. I had one after my first cesarean and the doctor removed it during last c section. I'm hoping to not get another but have been doing things I'm not suppose to, like picking up my 40 lb toddler for example yikes

Ive noticed a little bit of oozing and redness today at my incision. I removed the tape strips last night because they were gross and itchy. I'll watch it over the weekend and hopefully it's nothing. Still taking pain meds because my tummy still hurts

38. MaisyMay

@JennyLayneAZ: Ouch on the sleep. I had a night like that two nights ago, and it was rough. DH took LO last night so I could sleep and it's amazing how much better the world looks today!

39. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

@jh524: during the procedure my doctor injected steroids and used a particular scaple to minimize keloids. My bff just today asked what kind of staples were used because Im sensitive to metals. Totally forgot to mention that.

After your doctor removed them what was the treatment after to make sure they didn't grow back? Please be careful, no need to completely be out of commission!

40. akcoffeebean

cherry / 204 posts

@jh524: @Mrs. Lemon-Lime: there are special sheet bandages, I think Mederma and J&J make them that can help with that. They work best soon after the injury, but can be used to fade older ones as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002VK977O/ref=mp_s_a_1_6_a_it?qid=1461861735&sr=8-6&keywords=scar+treatment+silicone

I haven't used them for a C section but I did for a large appendectomy scar (about 5" long) and it helped a great deal.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee