Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

April 2016 Postpartum Thread

1. akcoffeebean

cherry / 204 posts

@MaisyMay: yay for sleep! I'm glad you feel better!

2. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@jh524: I hope your lo let you get some sleep last night. Piper had a much better night. I'm still tired, but not like yesterday. My steri-strips came off last night too. I got out of the shower and 3/4 of it detached, so I pulled the rest off. That was scary lol

I didn't get any staples. Just sutures (disolvable and under the skin) and the steri-strips.

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: sounds like a good appointment 😊 yay for baby being so close to his birth weight, that's awesome!

@akcoffeebean: sorry to hear recovery is going slow 😕 I am starting to feel a bit restless. So I am anxious for next week when I can drive again!

@MaisyMay: DH tries to help with MOTN wake ups, but he has to work, and he gets cranky in the middle of the night! It's much less stressful for me to just do it lol especially if she's fussy like the other night and I end up waking up anyway. He means well though lol

3. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@jh524: Ooh, that sounds uncomfortable. I hope it heals up quickly for you.

@JennyLayneAZ: Mine too! He's also completely useless in the MOTN, struggling to wake up, tripping over himself, no coordination, falls asleep holding the baby and massively overreacts. It winds me up!

4. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@Cherrybee: lol glad I'm not alone lol DH got pissed at our bottles the night she was fussy. I'm like ok let's talk about bottles tomorrow, go back to sleep! He wants to help, but while I'm not working and he is, and we're trying to figure everything out, just let me do night wakings lol

5. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

God, today has been awful . S is a little angel but, oh my word, my toddler has been a beast. DH had to work tho morning so I was solo for 5 hours with both children. Nightmare. Then DH and I had an argument because I apparently mentioned three times today that he slept through the entire night last night..... I'm not going to lie, I've been finding it hard to listen to him moan about how tired he is when I'm the one who is doing night feeds AND seeing to E in the night while he snores.

I think the tiredness is catching up with me.

6. auggiefrog

kiwi / 631 posts

@Cherrybee: I get you girl! I love my DH, and he's been very good about giving me credit for getting up all night to take care of the baby, but I don't want to hear how tired he might be, and I don't want to listen to his constant snores as I'm feeding our LO then pumping away.

7. mamabolt

nectarine / 2797 posts

@Cherrybee: @auggiefrog: I'm so tired of hearing DH complain about being tired/not feeling well. I just want to tell him to get back to me when he's doing all the BF and wakeups!

All OK here, I had a round of mastitis last weekend but got abx quickly so only had about 36 hours of misery. Henry still not sleeping great but he's at least getting more reliable about his first stretch of sleep being 3ish hours, usually 10 - 1.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

8. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

wonderful pea / 17279 posts

Nothing could have prepared me for this journey. I didn't have any expectations for my LO except I really thought when people said "sleep when the baby sleeps" that was sound advice I could depend on. LO likes to be held all the time. We ended up buying the Halo bassinet in hopes that if LO can see us eye level vs the Babyhome bassinet we already have we might be able to sleep as a family at night. Right now we take shifts so someone can safely stay up while he sleeps at night. Crossing my fingers this works!

I stored quite a bit of pumped BM that I am confident we wont need to use formula for quite some time. Just today, I let LO nurse twice for about 10 minutes. It's scary not knowing how much he's getting since pumped milk and formula can be measured. I didnt want him to lose his natural instinct to nurse, so I let him. I think he even comfort nursed based on the last time he had a bottle. We tried to size him correctly in his car seat and he was not pleased at all, but nursing him called him.

DH had a chance to work out twice this week. I'm happy he was able to do something he loves. I can't wait to drive again!

More power to all of you with multiple LOs. I can't imagine the energy drain you all must feel right now.

9. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: Big hugs. Its unbelievably hard when the baby will only settle when held. I hope he gets over that really quick and you all get some decent rest soon.

I'm feeling much better today. I had a hard night: Went to bed at 9.30pm, leaving DH up with S, but ten minutes after I fell asleep, E woke up. DH came up at 10.30pm. Then S was up at 1am, then 3am, then wouldn't settle.. E was up again at 4.30.... Finally, at 5am (S still hadn't settled), I woke DH up and said I was losing it. He got up and took S downstairs - and let me sleep in until 9am. Amazing!! I got 4 hours straight!!

10. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

@Cherrybee: Thanks. Isn't it lovely to have the sun wake you?

I have an internal job interview this week via Skype and am taking an Uber to the hair salon. DH doesnt like playing chauffer just as much as I hate not driving. I hope the stylist is running behind, so I can take a quick trip to Starbucks.

11. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: What's an Uber? I wish the sun did wake me - E shrieking that she didn't want to pee on the potty and DH chasing her because she had pee running down her leg woke me (credit to DH, he dealt with it brilliantly and it was all resolved before I actually made it downstairs).

12. Canoli

persimmon / 1458 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: it's so so hard but it gets better! With my middle son he would not sleep on his own for about the first month. I would just keep trying and trying and little by little he would do longer and longer stretches on his own. And that was only at night time. During the day I would just let him sleep on me but certainly couldn't sustain it being like that 24/7. I just always told myself they are so little and all they know is they feel safe and comforted by mom and dad and it won't last forever.

13. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

@Cherrybee: oh well at least you got 4 hours- that's a good stretch. Kudos to DH too! Uber is like a taxi service you "call" via a phone app. It's much cheaper & faster than calling a taxi.

@Canoli: yeah, it's one of those things that I have come to realize is just a tiny person thing. If we put him down to heat up a bottle his little body jerks around as if neurons are telling him your parents are gone forever. I asked the neonatologist at the hospital and baby's pediatrician if holding him all the time now would set us up for some hard to break habits. Both said babies this young aren't manipulative and to keep holding him. I love once he's picked up by us that he immediately calms down though.

14. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: It was amazing! I felt awesome today! Good luck with your job interview! Let us know how you get on.

15. Canoli

persimmon / 1458 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: aww little baby body jerks. It really is amazing how comforted they are by being snuggled by mom and dad. My LO will just not let me put him down either. He slept on me all night while in the hospital. Every time I would try to put him down he would wake up.

Here is a pic of coming home day!

16. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

@Canoli: R is a cutie!

I started baby wearing today using a boba wrap & omg clean, I mean picked up, house. @cherrybee: cheers to game changer.

17. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@Canoli: cutie

18. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@Canoli: so adorable!!

19. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

@Cherrybee: had the interview today. will know the outcome Wed! DH kept the baby all night and through the interview this morning. I missed him so much. going back to work is going to be rough!

20. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: When do you go back? I will keep my fingers crossed for you

21. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

So, lo has becoming seriously inconsolable the last few days. I think it's gas but I don't know. Just gave her some formula instead of breast milk and she downed 1.5 oz and gave me four good burps and passed out. Maybe it's my milk? I'm going to continue to pump but feed her formula for a few days and see how she does.

Also, my work asked me to work from home part time. Apparently things aren't going well with my temp. I don't know what to do. If lo keeps being fussy there is no way I can, but I feel bad. Even though there won't be any repercussions if I say no, I thought for sure they would be fine for a couple months. It's just not working out apparently and my boss is basically going to do my job in addition to his own if I say no. Ugh. What a horrible day it's been!!!

22. Mrs. Lemon-Lime

@JennyLayneAZ: that sounds rough! What did you decide for work? I had a hard enough time taking a few conf calls & intervieeing and DH is still here to help.

I hope your LO's fussiness is just a short phase. Are you keeping a log of what you're eating that may effect your breastmilk? There are formulas out there specific for gas & fussiness.

@Cherrybee: i have 9 more weeks to go...i know whoa is me. Lol

I didn't get the position and am 100% ok with that. The job requires 3 weeks OOT travel a month, which is just as much as DH's schedule. I didnt like our childcare options given the travel heavy schedules. I got some great feedback from the interview though.

Right now I have love hate relationship with BFing. Our doula took some newborn photos today at the house. I'm excited to see them as they document LO's first home. LO is still high needs in terms of wanting to be held all the time. The 3 am shift change is hairy between DH and I, but we both seem to get enough rest throughout the 24 hours a day.

23. rockinghorse

cherry / 215 posts

Hi ladies! I can't believe that DD is going to be 1 month old tomorrow!!! My photographer friend is going to be coming over to do a little photo session so I am busy pinning away on pinterest all the newborn shots I like (including one with DD on my wedding dress ).

So tell me, how old are you LOs now, and how much sleep are you getting? We are getting 1.5-3 hour stretches (3 is rare and exciting!). I got a 4 hour stretch this morning because DH fed her a bottle when he got up, and I feel like I got 10 hours of sleep! It is to the point where I am not sure what I have dreamed, what I have thought, and what I have done. It all blends together!

What are your tricks to getting more sleep?

24. Canoli

persimmon / 1458 posts

@rockinghorse: my LO is 3 weeks old today.

My trick to getting more sleep is letting him sleep on me! He did let me put him down last night and he slept by himself from 11pm-4am so we're making progress!

25. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@rockinghorse: S is 6 weeks old now. She is giving us 4-6.5 hour stretches at night (I totally earned this because E was and still is an awful sleeper! S slept 6.5 hours the other night and E was up twice in that time!). We are achieving this with:

1) Sheer luck. Some babies are just easier than others and, so far, we appear to be have lucked out this time.

2) Formula. I know my saying this out loud will be unpopular but formula is less easily digested than breastmilk and so keeps the fuller for longer. I haven't been able to breastfeed either of my children and I am really sad about that, but this is a happy side effect.

3) Swaddling. S sleeps much better and longer when she is swaddled.

4) White noise, blaring out all night.

@JennyLayneAZ: Sorry, I've only just seen this. How are things with LO now? What did you decide re work?

26. bloved

persimmon / 1114 posts

@rockinghorse: N is almost 5 weeks now. We are still struggling with sleep too. I usually get a 4 hour stretch in the beginning of the night, but after that he will go barely 2 hours between feeding and has a really hard time settling down between feelings. He does this weird grunting/clearing his throat type sound. And the really odd thing is he only does it at night after the first feeding so I am not quite sure why!! We had our 1 month check up yesterday and the doctor said there was no reason that he could tell, so I guess we are just hoping he will outgrow it!

My trick to getting more sleep (out of him- not for me!) is the car seat- if I do errands he can easily sleep for 3-4 hour stretches. It makes me so jealous for the nighttime!

27. Cherrybee

papaya / 10570 posts

@bloved: S does that grunty thing, too! I always put it down to wind but I don't really know what it is.

28. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@Mrs. Lemon-Lime: @Cherrybee: I can't work from home part time right now, there is just no way! Piper is colicky we switched completely to formula which helps her burp but she is still so gassy and just cries for hours in the evenings. And for a few hours during the day. I think we will try a soy formula and see if that helps. I'm also wondering if she has silent reflux.. Sometimes she will gulp out of nowhere and then start screaming

@rockinghorse: Piper will be 5 weeks tomorrow, and she normally sleeps in 2 hours stretches. She slept for 3 hours last night, it was glorious! The formula doesn't seem to stretch out her sleep at all yet. Hopefully she will start eating more at a time and stretching out her sleep before I go back to work.

In other news, my mom gave notice at her job and is going to stay home and watch piper for us instead if her going to daycare 😊

29. autumnleaves

pear / 1622 posts

@rockinghorse: LO2 is 4 weeks and he usually sleeps a 4-5 hour stretch at night followed by 3-4 hour stretches. I BF but pump a bottle to give him usually around 8:30PM of 4 ounces.
    He sleeps in his crib in the room across the hall from us.
    We swaddle him but his leave his arms out.
    He seems to have really bad acne on his face or a rash. I read there's nothing you can really do for the acne but I still worry about it.

@JennyLayneAZ: that is great news that your mom is going to watch Piper! DH put in his notice at work - it wasn't a good fit for him and he's going to stay home with both of our boys. LO1 will go to daycare 3 half days a week. DH will work on applying to nursing school and take a couple more pre-reqs in the fall to apply to more nursing schools. This is going to be stressful budget wise but hopefully he'll be happier in the long run.

30. JennyLayneAZ

nectarine / 2690 posts

@autumnleaves: Piper has either a rash or acne on her neck right now, I can't tell! It looks like the acne on her face, but she hasn't had it on her neck yet so that's why I think rash maybe. I'm keeping an eye on it. I hope you guys are happier with DH staying home! My DH isn't happy at work either...

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee