Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Moms!

1. kayakgirl73

clementine / 750 posts

@MrsADS: Hopefully he stays in a lot longer. I got put on Bedrest my last pregnancy because I supposedly had a shortened cervix but when I went back a week later to the OB they couldn't find anything. All turned out well. I hop your is a false alarm and if it's not I hope the bed rest helps. One thing that helped me was my husband bought me a laptop desk that was a little cart so I was able to work from home while laying on the couch. Not easy but my direct boss lobbed easy projects my way. I hope you have help for your toddlers. Hugs and prayers.

2. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: fingers crossed it fits!

3. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

I have my glucose test tomorrow. It's at 8am and is a 12 hour fasting test. Not excited. At all.
    Just wanted to complain to people who understand.

4. kayakgirl73

clementine / 750 posts

@OhCaptain: EEk. Fasting yuck. I didn't have to fast.

5. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@OhCaptain: You have my sympathies! Mine is Monday, but I don't have to fast. I did for the 3 hour last time, and I hated it!

6. kayakgirl73

clementine / 750 posts

Can somebody bump the due date list up again.

7. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@OhCaptain: yuck. Good luck! Mine is non fasting next week. Hope we all pass!

8. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@MrsADS: I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! Hope bedrest and the perinatologist (sp?) go well! Thinking of you! And what a GREAT pic!

9. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@kayakgirl73: @torchwood: @mrs.microscope
    I'm zero percent excited about it. I asked my midwife why it was 12 hours fasting (my last one wasn't) and she said she'd had less people fail the one hour and then have to take the three hour if she just cut to the chase and did a one hour fasting test from the start.

10. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@OhCaptain: It's amazing to me how little consensus there is on that in the medical community. There are a couple of threads on here about whether or not you had to fast before the 1-hour, and it seems like every doctor/midwife had a different policy.

11. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: right? My last one my doctor told me to eat as normal. My SIL got told to eat a high carb breakfast before Her morning test. She had oatmeal and OJ, and then failed. Uh, duh?

12. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

Well, now I don't know WHAT to think. Went to the perinatologist. Their ultrasound showed that my cervix was long and closed, no funneling. So the doctor was like "well, it's probably just a variation in the machines." ?? He also said he thinks the funneling is just happening when I'm contracting and that's normal (I have NEVER heard that before - funneling is always a sign of badness). He's not worried about all the cramping pain and pressure I'm having (I couldn't sleep last night from it, like really bad menstrual cramps).

My mom has a good friend who is a nurse practitioner for another perinatologist who basically said she thinks my doctor is blowing me off a little. But, I also think my mom is probably overly worried.

My peri actually said I could go back to work. But, I think since I already set everything up to work from home, I'm gonna work from home until next week. He wants to see me again next week, so I'll evaluate what to do next week based on that. He also said if I have more than 4 contractions an hour for 2 consecutive hours, call and I would probably need to go to the hospital for monitoring.

Edited to add: I also talked to my uncle who is a neonatologist (and takes care of really sick tiny babies)and he was very worried. It bothers me a little that I got such vastly different answers from the perinatologist (not worried) and my OB (strict bedrest, very worried). Hard to know what to think or do.

13. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@OhCaptain: No kidding. Surely not having a carb-heavy meal beforehand is self-evident? Weird.

@MrsADS: Well, that's... confusing. And frustrating. On the one hand, *everything* I've read/heard says that studies show bed rest is at best useless and at worst actively harmful. So I, personally, would be glad to have a second opinion saying I didn't need it, just to avoid fighting with the OB about it. On the other hand, it sounds like he's being really dismissive and treating this like "hysterical first time mom" stuff, which is crap. Cramps that keep you up at night are not normal, not along with everything else. And yeah, there's a margin of error on those machines, but for him to say there's *nothing* going on after they said so much before? Can you see another perinatologist for another opinion? I don't think I could trust that guy at ALL.

14. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Torchwood that's exactly how I feel. And I definitely have read some of those studies on bedrest, so I definitely don't think bedrest is always the answer. But, I think I'm so early (24 weeks) that if the baby came this early, I'd always think "was there anything else I could have done?". So I think what I'm gonna do for the next week is work from home, take it easy (no heavy lifting, dragging laundry up and down the stairs, tons of walking, etc) but not *bedrest*.

I think I will see what he says next week and maybe consider a 2nd opinion. There is another perinatologist in town, I know. I mean, I don't want to be running around looking for a problem if there isn't one. But I don't think tons of contractions/cramping pain/pressure is normal... sigh.

15. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@MrsADS: So many hugs. Glad you made it to 24 weeks thus far.... And counting! Stay in baby! See how it goes until next the appointment and then if the doctor is still making you uncomfortable, so see the other one for a second opinion. I think your 'take it easy' plan sounds good.

16. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@MrsADS: sorry things are so confusing. I hope you get a clear answer soon.

Today is my glucose test. I'm waiting at the doctor's office right now, which looks unusually busy today. Hopefully this appointment won't take all day.

17. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@MrsADS: Have you discussed what the perinatologist said with your OB? Can you get a second opinion? I would call my OB, and share their thoughts, my concerns, and ask for a referral for a second opinion. I hope you can get more solid answers!

18. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

Has anyone been talked to by their provider about getting a DTAP (or maybe in adults it's called tdap) booster in weeks 27-36 weeks of pregnancy? I didn't get it in my last pregnancy, but I have a friend whose older boy is showing osigns of pertussis, she is 19 weeks pregnant. She got told by the doctor at urgent care that all pregnant women should get a booster in their third tri. It was the first I've ever heard it!

19. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

I got a rash a few weeks ago, and was prescribed a steroid lotion. The rash is almost gone, but the itchiness has spread to all over. So now I got blood drawn today to check my liver function or something like that. But at least the OB told me at my appointment yesterday that my blood pressure is great, my weight gain is perfect, and that I'm measuring right on track! And of course today, I pigged out.

@OhCaptain: How was your glucose test? I had mine today, too. My drink was orange, and then I got to wait in the most comfortable leather recliner during the hour wait. I almost fell asleep

20. FliegepilzHut

pomegranate / 3533 posts

@OhCaptain: My OB mentioned it at my last appt. I guess you're supposed to get one with each pregnancy! They also strongly recommend it for all close contacts (grandparents, etc).

21. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Ms. RV: it was as good as a 12 hour fasting test can be! I definitely felt strange all day. I assume it was due to ingesting as many grams of sugar as I do on a daily basis first thing in the morning, and then eating a days worth of food.

22. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@FliegepilzHut: I swear I've never heard this before! Although, I suppose I may have forgotten....but I feel like I'd remember!

23. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@OhCaptain: My OB gives boosters during 3rd tri and recommends all family members get it too.

24. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: yep they mentioned it at my last sppt and that they'll be giving to to me soon.

25. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@OhCaptain: Yes got TDAP shot with my last pregnancy and will do it again this time.

26. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@OhCaptain: My midwives recommended it last time, so I expect to hear about it soon. I didn't do it last time, but I planned to research and might have if the pregnancy had continued. This time, I'll probably just do it. I don't feel like worrying about the risks either way, and I trust my midwives. DH will be getting it as well, and probably the grandparents.

27. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@OhCaptain: yup, it's on the to do list for this week's appointment, after the glucose test! I think DH will get one in the hospital if they recommend it, but he actually had a booster last July so he might not need another one!

28. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@OhCaptain: Yep, I got it around 30 weeks last time and I'll get it again sometime in the next couple of months. My OB said DH is good since he (and most of our parents) got it less than 2 years ago.

29. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

Ok, now I feel like I must have gotten it and don't recall! I did transfer care at 30 weeks last time, to a practice in a different state, so maybe it slipped through the cracks.

30. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Has anyone given thought to the legal guardian issue? I'm assuming the non-FTM's have. I had a thread about it a while ago, but we're in a hard position because we have literally no great choices, and only really one good one at this point. For a lot of reasons, almost all of our family members on both sides are terrible options, and same for friends. We had asked one friend back when I was pregnant the first time (two years ago), but she's since become less and less appealing. I'm not sure I even want to be friends any more, much less have her be responsible for my kid if something happens. I have a cousin who would be perfect (she's the one good choice, and we're actually the ones who will get her son if something happens to them), but her son is special needs, and now she's pregnant as well, just 4 months behind me. In the long run it's not a huge deal, but for the first few years, getting saddled with another kid just 4 months older than hers would be a lot to ask in addition to her son. I sent her a text asking her to talk to her husband about it though, so we could at least find out how they'd feel about it. I hate that this is so hard! Why can't my family not be so, SO far out of line with us on parenting issues?!

31. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Also, starting to feel a bit overwhelmed that this is all really happening! Last time by this far along I had serious doubts about whether we'd really be having a baby (and I was unfortunately right not to believe it), so being this far and realizing that this time it's real is kind of scary! I keep panicking about what we don't have done! But we tried out the car seat we're planning on today, and it fits in my car great, so that's a start!

32. kitty

apricot / 315 posts

@Torchwood: We have discussed the legal guardian issue in our house. We plan to make DH's brother the legal guardian if anything goes wrong with us, but not his wife. Is that common, to specify only one half of a partnership? It's not that we don't like her, but if they were to split at some point in the future we would want it to be clear cut. There would likely be money tied to the guardianship as well, so we wouldn't want that to be contested.

33. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@Torchwood: we made friends of ours the legal guardians, for our son. At the time, it was our best choice. Now, I actually think my SIL and BIL would be a good choice, too. At the time their marriage was really rocky, so we went another direction. It's a big choice.
    Also, I know this is easier said than done, but try not to be anxious about baby coming. It is, totally totally overwhelming and life changing, but when she arrives, you won't think about it, you'll just do it. You will be great!

34. krispi

clementine / 911 posts

@OhCaptain: My doctor said I'll get the shot at my next appointment, which is in a week. They'll also do my diabetes test then. My parents got their shots when my nephew was born 2.5 years ago. Since I'm having a summer baby, I was wondering if I need to be as vigilant about other family members as my SIL was. (My nephew was born in December.)

@Torchwood: I think we're just going to default to my parents. We don't have any super great options either. My brother and SIL are too different from us to feel comfortable. My MIL is a widow, and I fear it might be too much for her. My parents aren't a perfect option, but I like to think I turned out ok, and I know they'd take good care of her and make sure she still was able to see my husband's family as much as possible. My mom is also the youngest grandparent by several years.

35. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@kitty: We'll probably only specify my sister as a guardian, too. Her husband is a basically a hoarder, and if something happened to my sister at the same time as us, I don't want him to take care of our kid by himself. Grandparents are too medically unstable, and OH's sibling is too, too far away, and we don't have any friends that would be in the place to raise a kiddo.

36. cat620

pear / 1809 posts

@OhCaptain: I looked it up after you said that, and apparently that is the recommendation. I hadn't heard of it either. With my son, I got the shot after he was born at the hospital. I'm not sure if I'll get it again, since he was born just two years ago.

I hated that drink for the glucose test, so I'm glad that's over! The doctor said they would call me Monday if the results are bad and send a letter if they are good. Here's hoping I don't get a call!

37. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

I'm really glad I have a midwife appointment tomorrow. These BH's are getting somewhat concerning. When I'm sitting/standing they range from barely noticeable to pretty darn uncomfortable. But when I lay down they can get noticeably painful. And they were two minutes apart consistently for a long time today (at least an hour or two, maybe longer). And then at one point today when I stood up I saw very weird black spots (they moved and turned white and disappeared, rather like fireworks). It didn't last long, but all in all it's enough that I really want to ask if I should be worried. Fingers crossed it's nothing!

38. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Ugh. Literally the minute I laid down to go to sleep tonight, the BH's (I hope that's all they are) got painful and dropped to every two minutes. No way I'm sleeping through that. They're not painful enough to really keep me awake in and of themselves, but firstly, one minute long two minutes apart only gives me a minute of peace between them. And secondly, it freaks me out. I took a bath and drank a lot, and they're much, much better, so it seems like it's probably nothing. But why are they so bad when I lay down?! Just relaxing for a bit now while I wait for all that fluid to clear my system, since I'll just be up peeing every five minutes if I try to go to bed again. Arg.

39. raspberries

pear / 1955 posts

@OhCaptain: Haha, I was just going to ask about the TDaP!

Have any of you gotten the TDaP yet? My doctor gave it to me at the same appointment as my 1-hour glucose test this past Tuesday, and the lymph nodes on my neck have been swollen ever since. I talked to my doc, who said it's just a side effect of the vaccine, but it's driving me crazy because it hurts to lay my head down on a pillow to go to sleep. Anyone ever experience this? I've gotten it before and this hasn't happened, but the doctor said pregnancy can cause your body to react weirdly to routine things like this.

40. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Torchwood I would definitely call your midwife/OB asap. That doesn't sound normal. I would want a transvaginal ultrasound to check cervical length + contraction monitor for peace of mind! Also fetal fibronectin swab - predicts your chances of going into labor in the next 7-14 days (strong negative predictor value, also good for peace of mind).

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee