Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016- Gear, Registries, and Nurseries

1. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Thank you so much for this!! I drive a full size SUV (gotta be able to tow the boat), so I think we're safe on space but I still want to go to a store and see how it fits. The handle position makes me a little nervous as I can see it being something that could be forgotten easily if it's not a function of the seat clicking into the base.

2. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@MrsKerch: Yea the other problem we found was that to get the car seat out, you'd want to adjust the handle back to the upright position. Well most handles have two buttons you have to press on either side. Its VERY hard to reach around a car seat (esp. in a high SUV) so that you can get a hand on the far side to press the button to release the handle.

3. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@mrschickpea: If you have two kids and they're opposite genders, you'll appreciate all the gender neutral stuff! Somehow I managed to buy a lot of 6 month gender neutral sleepers, which is now awesome because I'll use those as pajamas and not care that she's not in a super cute gender specific outfit during the day. There's also others things that don't need to be gendered like plain white onesies, jeans, diapers, wipes, etc.

4. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Recaro products.

The painters are coming today! Bye bye yellow room. Hello beautiful tan nursery. At least I hope it will be beautiful when done

5. T.H.O.U.

@mrschickpea: Agree There is a lot of neutral stuff you can buy! Stuff like pacifiers, bottles, soaps/shampoos, towels washcloths, etc.

6. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

@ShootingStar: @T.H.O.U.: thanks ladies! I did get a set of bottles, some teethers, swaddles, socks, a bouncer, play mat, and quite a bit of clothing already! My shower planners told me to calm it down before I buy everything off my registry before the shower in June 😂

7. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

@ShootingStar: I have a few pairs of baby jeans and overalls from Gap! They're so adorable, these tiny people clothes!!

8. T.H.O.U.

9. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Thank you sooooo much!!

10. T.H.O.U.

In case anyone needs a crib and mattress. This looks like an awesome deal!

http://dealnews.com/Storkcraft-Venetian-4-in-1-Crib-w-Mattress-for-121-free-shipping/1657700.html

11. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

We just bought he entirety of IKEA today for baby girl's room. Ok, an exaggeration, but we did go in with a good list and came out with everything on it and more. Now need to finish clearing out the room and get building and decorating!

12. MrsKerch

apricot / 256 posts

@T.H.O.U.: are you a mind reader?!? I was just looking at this crib last night and didn't notice that the mattress was included. Score! Purchasing now.

13. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

Have any of you girls ever used a mini pack and play? I'm wondering if I need a pack and play at all for my downstairs. If so, I would need to get a mini. Probably the mini Nuna Sena with bassinet. Just wondering if it's worth it.

14. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: we used a regular sized PnP, I didn't even know there were mini ones. I'm not sure how they compare size-wise, but depending on what you want to do with it, it'll probably be fine.

We used ours as our bassinet the first few months. Then for a while I used it as a baby holder while I got ready in the morning. I'd give DS a bottle and go take a shower and get dressed.

We never used it for travel - everywhere we went had a PnP or crib already. If we did travel with it, I could see needing a full sized one.

15. T.H.O.U.

@agold: I wasn't aware there were mini pack and plays either. We have a mini crib but thats about the size of a normal PNP. Why not consider a RNP or bassinet for downstairs? Personally I wouldn't think that its worth it. You'll have a swing and bouncer down stairs right? And then a crib upstairs for night time?

16. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: @ShootingStar: Thanks for your thoughts on this. My place is pretty tiny. Baby will have a full room though, with a crib and whatnot. I plan to use a moses basket on a rocking jolly jumper stand next to my bed for baby to sleep in at night.

I'm wondering about for when I'm downstairs with the baby. Someone gave me a swing-type thing that is basically, if not exactly, like this:

http://www.target.com/p/ingenuity-convertme-swing-2-seat-convertible-swing-brighton/-/A-16343376

I don't really want it but I suppose i will use it because its free. I plan to have this downstairs. Its a little heavy so I don't imagine bringing it back and forth upstairs and downstairs.

So what else do I need? A light bouncer for upstairs when I want to shower?

And then I was thinking of the mini pack and play for downstairs for the baby to sleep in and, a little later, play in. This is the one:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nuna-sena-mini-cot/3590563

I have a $180 store credit to a nice baby store so I'm trying to figure out what to buy with it and everyone keeps saying "you need a pack and play!" but my house is tiny.

17. T.H.O.U.

@agold: I just know that my kids (big babies) grew out of the PNP really early. So I would imagine the life of a mini-PNP would be REALLY short. More than likely the baby will be doing short naps down stairs. So you'll have the swing and then the moses basket if you needed to bring that down.

I would consider getting a small bouncy seat. I LOVE my Bjorn.

18. T.H.O.U.

@agold: Also, because that doesn't have a newborn napper, its very hard to bend that far over to the ground to lower a sleeping baby. Nearly impossible for my kids. Babies have a startle reflex that wake them when they feel like their being dropped. Very hard to prevent in a PNP that low. Never mind, I just saw it does have a mid setting.

19. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: Honestly, I'd say just wait and see what you need before buying anything more. Sometimes you need multiples of things (we had 2 bouncy seats) and there's lots of stuff you don't need at all. I bought a RnP and DS hated it. We ended up using it a little, but not as the bassinet like I expected.

20. T.H.O.U.

@agold: And FYI we never really "needed" a PNP unless we were traveling.

21. T.H.O.U.

@ShootingStar: Agree, also a lot of these items can be bought used really easily. Ive never head a RNP but wanted to try it and found one for $20.

22. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Thanks. I was thinking about it for when the baby gets mobile and wants to play. I could put her in it so I can get some stuff done. (Hi.. im going to be a working mom.) But so glad to hear you say you didn't "need" it.

Is this the bouncer you have?

http://www.target.com/p/babybjorn-balance-soft-cotton-bouncer/-/A-15034842?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Baby_Top+Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031528&gclid=CjwKEAjwgPe4BRCB66GG8PO69QkSJAC4EhHhwype-1KeGsaZJ_8i87c__pVwuPcYcMgrfpFVc3MFkxoCY8fw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was also thinking of getting one of those for the upstairs.

@ShootingStar: Thanks. This is making feel a lot better. I feel a little pressure to register for a bunch of stuff. But I can't imagine storing all this stuff if I'm not actually even needing it or using it.

23. T.H.O.U.

@agold: Yes! Its amazing. Just a little kick of the legs from the baby and the thing really gets to rocking. So portable that I could carry the baby and also carry that into the bathroom. He would sit and play while I showered.

My kids never liked being confined to the PNP for play time. So I wouldn't count on that. When they are mobile they want room to explore. We did get this for trips to the beach, picnics etc that they tolerated a bit more. Packs up super easily. http://www.target.com/p/summer-infant-pop-n-play-portable-playard/-/A-16440885#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=summer+infant+play+yard

24. stratosphere

apricot / 329 posts

@LCTBQE: I'm 6'0" and the City Mini and B-Agile, etc. didn't work at all for me. I couldn't take a normal stride without kicking the back wheel or support bar thingy. I ended up with an UB Vista which I have loved. We also have an umbrella stroller for when we know we'll be going into our tiny neighborhood grocery store, but honestly I haven't really struggled with the width of the Vista as some folks complained in reviews, despite living in very urban quarters.

LOVE our Ergo 360, still use it with LO (20 months) and will def be using it with the infant insert with this baby.

25. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Pretty much agree with the PNP comments and also to try a wait-and-see approach so you don't get stuff that won't work for you. We had a full-size PNP with a napper. Never used it for naps. I thought DS would sleep in the PNP in our room for the first months, but instead it ended up being a clean laundry holder He slept in his crib from day 1. We used a really inexpensive vibrating bouncy seat like this, and it was a lifesaver. Couldn't have lived without it. He took some of his best naps in it!

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/products/Animal-Party-Bouncer

We did, however use the PNP without the napper once he was mobile and I needed a safe place to put him in the living room while I was cooking. That was helpful. We hardly, if ever, actually traveled with it, as our Graco was so big and bulky. We would always call ahead and try to reserve a crib or PNP in hotels.

26. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

Just wanted to share that I made this girl barrette and headband holder today! I got some help with a friend, and DH ended up helping, too, by drilling pilot holes for the hooks at the bottom. Was fairly easy to do. Unfortunately, some of the wood split where we drilled the holes, but hopefully it's all light enough that it will all stay together. The picture shows it on the same color wall as the nursery, but we didn't actually hang it anywhere yet. Also, I realize it looks a bit sparse, but we only have 5 headbands so far (the clips fit on the bands or can be used separately). Ahem, new girl mom, @ShootingStar:

27. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@stratosphere: this is great to know, thank you! I'm a couple inches shorter than you but I walk super fast and take very long strides, so I was a bit wary of the city mini. our neighbors have one and I'm going to ask them to borrow it to see how I do, but definitely keeping the UB Vista in top of mind now. and I tried on the Ergo 360 and liked it, definitely getting it. thanks again

28. T.H.O.U.

@LCTBQE: Agree to definitely trying it out and watching your posture while you're pushing. With the smaller strollers I walk very hunched. With my B-Ready (similar to the Vista) I (and DH) can actually walk up right and take a full stride. I've even speed walked with the stroller before and been fine.

29. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: That looks great! Now with 2 girls in the house I may have to devise a system for organization. For regular hard headbands when they get older, I use a recycled decorated Oatmeal container! Plus extra storage insdie!

30. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

@pregnantbee: so cute!

Any recommendations for a carrier for my DH? I would like to be able to use the same carrier for both of us and he is a taller, bigger guy. Think linebacker with a tummy lol. I have a Boba 4g and regular Boba wrap on the registry but I'm kinda clueless

31. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@pregnantbee: That's so adorable! I bought a little accessory thing at target and I have one lonely bow on it, lol.

32. pwnstar

pear / 1718 posts

@pregnantbee: That's so cute! We have hooks with ribbons attached on the back of our pantry (I do her hair in the morning when she's eating) for all of LO's bows and hair accessories . . . It covers the entire pantry door (mostly because I get them in twos because I usually do two of everything, i.e., two braids, two pig tails, etc.

@mrschickpea: I bet a SSC like a Beco Gemini (that's what we have) or an Ergo would fit both you and your DH.

33. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@pregnantbee: Where did you get the bows? I've been hesitating to order any because I don't want giant ones. I bought one really pretty bow/headband from Nordstrom, but I don't really want to spend $15 on every single one, lol.

34. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

@pwnstar: thanks! I'll look into those!

35. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@ShootingStar: I got them at this Etsy shop bard on someone on HB's recommendation. Can't remember who, though! Also, they look good, but obviously won't know if I really like them until baby girl is here

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cutebows4girls

36. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: Thanks for your thoughts on the PNP. I will just wait and see then regarding my need for it, but what you used it for is mostly what I am hoping to use it for.

As for the vibrating bouncer you have, that looks great and reminds me a bit of the baby bjorn bouncer that @T.H.O.U.: said she has.

So I have a $180 credit to fancy store and now a $97 credit to babies r us and both credits are burning a hole in my pocket!

And OMG your headband holder is adorable!! I hope my little girl will have lots of cute bows and headbands but haven't even started to think about doing something as cute as you have done!! Good job, lady!

@stratosphere: Can you tell me when you use the stroller vs. the baby wearing holder? I don't know anyone who wore their baby but I'm interested in doing it just not sure when or where its done.

37. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@agold: fwiw, with my first, she never would have enjoyed being in a PnP, especially when she was starting to become mobile. we had a small living space, and she slept in the bassinet in our room (on the jolly jumper thing) the first few months, and played in her bouncer (similar to the one pregnantbee linked - i got one that was super on sale) or on her little play mat like this http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Rainforest-Melodies-Lights-Deluxe/dp/B000FFL58Q/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1461696108&sr=1-2&keywords=baby+play+mat. when she was trying to roll over or practice crawling or whatever, she played on the mat forever. if i couldn't leave her on her mat, she played in her bouncer. maybe once or twice i threw her in her crib with toys, but I think that was mostly to get her used to the crib. i had a very active baby. she always wanted to be on a play mat and we didn't really need much else!

we got a PnP from a friend when LO was like 9 months, and she never really used it. We used it for a month when we were moving, because we were back and forth between 2 places and had only 1 crib. but she has never played in it and i can't imagine the second baby would either.

every baby is different, so i may find myself running out to get things we never needed with my first. but for now, we're planning on rolling with the bouncer and playmat again. I may buy a second bouncer now that we have 2 floors.

38. T.H.O.U.

@agold: I desperately ran out and got an Ergo when she was just past that 10-12 week mark. She wanted to be close to me and held and knew how to cry for attention. I was still on leave and had things I needed to get done. I would put her in the ergo and be able to eat dinner, help with dishes, prepare for work. If I had to run to the grocery store after work, she would often refuse to ride in her infant bucket seat and would scream through the store. But if I wore her in the ergo, she was close and was being held so she was happy.

39. Pirouette

pomegranate / 3331 posts

@T.H.O.U.: the grocery store is the primary reason i want to wear this baby! i feel like grocery shopping with 2 kids is way easier if i can wear one. I just don't know how long i'll have to wait before I can wear this baby (post c section). LO1 never wanted to be worn and was far too small to be worn for a long enough time that we never got into the babywearing groove.

40. stratosphere

apricot / 329 posts

@agold: The UB Vista has a fantastic bassinet that our LO actually napped and slept overnight in (sitting in a Jolly Jumper base next to our bed) for her first 4 months, so if she was already napping (during the day) in that bassinet, I'd just pop it into the stroller base and take her on a stroll to allow me to get out of the house. I'd almost always throw the Ergo in the stroller's (HUGE) underbasket, though, because often when she woke up she wanted to be held, so then I'd scoop her up, put her in the Ergo and continue our walk or head home. She had normal levels of colic for her first three/four months and one thing that helped enormously during her "witching hours" (5-9pm every night) was to put her in the Ergo and take a walk up and down our block. The change of air (it was usually crisp outside after her first month) seemed to help. The other thing that was miraculous for that newborn stage was putting her in the Ergo and bouncing rythymically on a yoga ball. That would finally make her stop crying. She wouldn't sleep, but she'd not cry. For those months if we weren't either walking outside or bouncing her on the yoga ball she'd scream solid from 5-9pm. Needless to say my DH and I took turns, and he watched like 5 seasons of the Walking Dead (with headphones on) while bouncing her in front of our TV during those months. Our arms would have fallen off without the Ergo!

Our LO didn't like the Moby for some reason (I loved it, so comfy!) and would struggle and cry almost every time I put her in it. She also HATED the $$ ring sling I got (which I also loved...sigh). Hoping this baby might like either of those so I can get some use out of them. I lent them both to my best friend in the meantime, and her baby hated them both too.

After the super infant stage (like around 4-5 months) I used the stroller more, as she got generally happier/easier. And after 6 months we used the stroller for almost every neighborhood outing (to the playground, to the grocery store, to the kids' bookstore - all walkable from our place), and the Ergo became mostly used for hikes, airplane travel, and museums, but also as stroller backup for when she just didn't want to ride in the stroller anymore.

We went to London/Paris for two weeks when she was 11 months old and brought our UB G-Luxe (umbrella stroller) and the Ergo 360 and used them both probably equally (and usually had both with us at all times so we could switch her back and forth throughout long days out and about). She would often nap in the stroller thanks to the bumpy cobbled streets in the Marais in Paris (where we were staying) but in London where the sidewalks were smoother she would only nap in the Ergo. Then the Ergo was also INVALUABLE in museums, where she could face out and still see stuff and interact while awake but then I could flip her around and face her in when she got tired/cranky around nap time. One museum prohibited strollers, so Ergo was KEY there. I even learned to nurse while wearing her in the Ergo on that trip, which was AWESOME! Allowed us to see some great museum shows that she never would have tolerated otherwise (being too long in one place--she typically needed breaks to stretch and play in a park every few hours), as she nursed to sleep in the Ergo under the nursing cover as I strolled around the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the V&A, or at the Jean Paul Gaultier retrospective at the Grand Palais.

Every baby is different though, so I'm curious what this baby boy likes. I love having multiple modes of transit/comforting in my arsenal, though!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee