Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2016- Gear, Registries, and Nurseries

1. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: The window in that room is incredible!! Can you share more pictures of the room in general? Will that be baby's room? Lucky baby!!

Is anyone else having a hard time picking sheets and art?? I honestly am going to pull my hair out. And my sister and mom keep asking me when I'm going to register. Basically everything I want comes from like 1,000 different stores.

2. mrschickpea

clementine / 928 posts

Lol, now we're throwing everything back into the closet!

3. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Thank you This is baby's room. I'll share more once the room is more done. That's the only window in the room. Room is only about 10' x 10'. In fact, I think I have to return a long cubed storage unit because I think it will be too cramped in there!

It was fairly straightforward for us to pick sheets and art for my son's room the first time around. We didn't know what we were having, so we tried to go fairly neutral. It all started based on an ABC book by Charley Harper. Then we pulled colors from the book and went from there. Didn't obsess over sheets for him. I knew we weren't doing a blanket or bumper or crib skirt. This time for our daughter, I somehow immediately pictured the color palette I wanted. I stumbled across the $$ sheets I ended up buying -- they go perfectly with the colors I had in mind. I found some free printable art right here on HB. Not too bad. It's all coming together.

4. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@mrschickpea: Wow!! That looks amazing!

5. dcw6411

apricot / 382 posts

@pregnantbee: I have that same Ikea dresser in my daughter's room and I love it.

6. dcw6411

apricot / 382 posts

@mrschickpea: Beautiful!

7. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@dcw6411: Yay! I thought it would work well for us.

8. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@agold: I've had a couple friends register at baby list,and it seemed to work out!

9. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@mrschickpea: You are just killing me with that closet!! It looks perfect!!

@pregnantbee: Do you mind telling me how expensive the sheets were? I found some recently that I like and I'm thinking they are just so expensive. But we have some generous family and friends who have been buying us big items. So if I pick a few random, small expensive items here and there then I can somehow justify it in my mind.

I like this crib sheet set up from Anthropologie. Maybe because I see it pictured with the actual crib I'm getting.
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-plushtoys/37647344.jsp#/

Or a crib sheet like this, or anything else by this etsy shop.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/249800376/crib-sheet-happy-floral-fitted-crib?ref=shop_home_active_1

@Silva: That is interesting! Thanks for telling me about it that registry option.

10. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: I totally went overboard on some expensive stuff for DS. We practically bought out the entire PBK . It's part of the FTM fun. And now for this baby I'm all like, "Bring on the $8 Target sheets!" LOL.

11. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@agold: Enjoy the splurges with baby #1, but I think prioritize were you want to splurge. We knew we wanted a really nice stroller but went cheap on the crib.

12. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Yep, great advise. I am really cutting back on all the things I have been thinking that I needed to have. (i.e., stokke steps system.) I think we may get an expensive car seat that we will have to pay for ourselves because of where its bought, but otherwise I'm trying to put reasonable items on my registry and hoping it all gets bought! But I'm keeping very real expectations and bracing myself for receiving tons of ballerina pink onsies. So my husband and I have been graciously accepting hand me downs. I think sheets and car seat will be the pricey things that we need to buy. I also need to look into breast pump situation.

13. T.H.O.U.

@agold: Also try to figure out what you can buy used! Things like the Bumbo seat are used for a really short period of time. They wash beautifully and are great to buy second hand. Around here they sell for like $35 new and $15 used. I would go ahead and buy it used and then mark complete on your registry. I would rather someone spend $35 on nice crib sheets (or hooded towels or whatever) versus something I can get much cheaper.

14. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: You can always exchange those onesies for store credit :). Most people around here tend to buy stuff just from Babies R Us. We returned a ton of things from our shower that either weren't our style or were the wrong size/season.

15. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@T.H.O.U.: So true on wanting people to spend more wisely off the registry. husband is funny about second-hand things so he will only take it from someone we know. its really down to sheets and car seat that I think we will need to purchase ourselves. Unless someone doesn't buy us the stroller. And of course, I could be just totally completely naive about what we will end up needing.

@ShootingStar: So true on returns. My sister actually returned enough unnecessary clothes to enable her to get her car seat!

16. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

PSA: We just got his Hemnes dresser to use as a changing table for DD. Just found out it's on sale if you're an IKEA Family member, which is free to get.

Normally $249. On sale until May 24 for $211.69.

WOOT!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40239274/#/10239280

17. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: Good deal !

18. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Thanks! Should add that we bought it right before it went on sale when we went the other day to buy the cubed storage, too. Realized the cubed unit would ultimately be WAY too big for her room with the long dresser and the crib, so I went back today to exchange that for 2 4-cube pieces instead. And then I noticed that the dresser was on sale, and they do price adjustments for 90 days. Was so happy!

19. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: Nice! Were you looking at the long 4cube Kallax?

20. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Yup. We had purchased the 4x2 Kallax and planned to put it the long way along the floor because that's what we had done for DS. However, DS also had a shorter dresser, and I wanted a long one this time for more room to put the soiled diaper, new diaper, and change of clothes. Their rooms are similar sizes, so I should have realized that having 2 long pieces just wouldn't work. So I bought 2 of the just 4-cube ones and will put one out in the room and probably the other at the bottom of the closet.

21. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: Perfect! Do you know if anywhere else sells the larger cube bins to fit in there? I have smaller bins but I would like larger ones but Ikea is far away.

22. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: I love that dresser! I've seen so much done with it, like different paint colors and different knobs. But it seems great as is! I am really going to have to go look at my local ikea. And thanks for telling us about "family member"!

23. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I just bought some bins at Target that I'm hoping will fit. Uh, since we have 2 other sets of the same cubes elsewhere in the house, maybe I should try them when I'm home later?? Hah!

This is exactly the one that I'm planning to use in baby girl's room -- it better fit!

http://www.target.com/p/fabric-cube-storage-bin-coral-dots-pillowfort/-/A-50273228?lnk=rec|pdp|related_prods_vv|pdpv1

24. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Me, too! I saw a mini-hack where the owner changed out the standard knobs for "crystal" ones, so that's what we're doing. Looks amazing. You can see 4 knobs in the bottom drawers in the pic I had posted. The only prob. is that the screws are too long so there was too much room and the knobs slide around. I found a better length online, so will be switching the screw out again.

25. T.H.O.U.

@pregnantbee: Let me know! I was looking those too in store and they have a "slight" angle to the sides so I'm not sure they are exactly 13x13 cube. The other regular fabric bins are only 11x11 I think so you loose a lot of storage space!

26. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Hmmm. I'll see if I can try them later tonight or tomorrow morning and will report back.

27. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I tested one of those bins in a different Kallax unit we already have, and it fits perfectly. No room to spare on the sides or top

(The coral one is the one from Target. The blue ones are from IKEA.)

28. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

I have a double pump I got last time and used probably less than twenty times. I think I'm just going to order membranes and such for it, although I would be eligible to get a new one through insurance. That just seems wasteful though.
    Anything I'm not thinking about here?

29. T.H.O.U.

@Silva: I would go ahead and get the new pump as a back up or in case your first breaks (and is probably not within warrantee anymore)

30. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@stratosphere: I've been MIA but wanted to tell you I love your nursery! it looks so relaxing. I really like nurseries that aren't crazy overkill on cutesy; yours hits such a nice note. Glad to hear this about the Graham glider (esp since I will take all the tall-people advice you want to give) I actually had ordered one and then cancelled it to get the Monte Luca glider instead, which is smaller and doesn't have that high back with wings for resting your head. I liked that the Luca wouldn't take up as much space in our bedroom, but it really wasn't as comfortable as the Graham--the seat felt too shallow. Think I'm going to bite the bullet and re-order the Graham after reading about how much you liked it. @pregnantbee: I think I'm going to get an ikea dresser, too (although a 3-drawer one for my teensy space). they're really reasonable and not badly made.
    @agold: ohhhhh god, I didn't realize anthropologie sold baby stuff, I am going to go broke, dude. is that crib that you're getting the one from babyletto? I was thinking about getting that or the hudson babyletto. seems like both of them are just half-price ripoffs of oeuf cribs, which I am totally on board with I was doing some lite shopping with a girlfriend last weekend and got some Auggie crib sheets on mega-sale with little dogs on them.

31. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@LCTBQE: Seriously, anthropologie selling baby items has just about destroyed me! Yes, the crib that anthro features is the crib that I purchased. I had liked that crib long before I got pregnant and when I saw that Anthro was using it, I couldn't resist it. I think that babyletto cribs are a good deal. I originally loved loved loved the oeuf cribs but couldn't justify the price. The oeuf classic crib is the specific one I wanted. I like the toddler bed that it changes into. I was considering getting a used one on craigslist, but even still, the price is high. And I haven't ever heard of Auggie before but I just looked it up and I love it! Thanks for giving me one more idea of a place to shop!! And, lastly, so nice to see you pop back in here! I hope all is well with you and baby!

32. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: You have excellent taste. I love Anthropologie and can't wait to shop there post-baby.

33. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: Thank you!! I'd love to do a registry there, but I think its a bit presumptuous. I might do a secret one and if anyone finds it, then just maybe.....

Just maybe someone will get this for my girl:
    http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-plushtoys/36873032.jsp#/

I die.. I want it but um... I'm sure I can find something else a tad more practical that needs $100 thrown at it right now. Like, a car seat. Blah!

34. pregnantbee

grapefruit / 4717 posts

@agold: Um. That's gorgeous. Too bad we all have to be adults!

35. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@pregnantbee: Seriously! If I already wasn't fitting into my adult size clothes, I would try to buy that fancy cape and figure out a way for me to wear it myself!

36. LCTBQE

nectarine / 2461 posts

@agold: you know, even though babyletto should be ashamed of themselves for being ripoff artists and all that, I actually think the one you got is more appealing than the oeuf classic crib. I love the legs on it! a word to the wise, though: my friend got a babyletto crib and dresser. the crib is perfectly nice, the dresser was a TOTALLY flimsy piece of particle board shit--they literally couldn't put it together because it was such a mess and so badly done, and they ended up sending it back to overstock or wherever they got it as a broken stack of boards.
    and thanks, my work life is exploding right now and I haven't even been stalking HB--hoping it settles down soon. glad to see everyone is doing so well

37. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@LCTBQE: I'm not surprised to hear that about this crib set. I didn't expect any item named "babyletto" to last beyond the baby stage. I would have loved to purchase an "heirloom" quality crib and dresser, but I just didn't want to spend on that at this time. So cheap it is. At least I bought it from a brick and mortar store so if i have any problems like you described, I will return it there. What crib/changer did you end up going with?

38. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@agold: If it makes you feel better, we purchased a really nice set nursery set for DS, meant last his entire childhood. And I kind of regret it. Yeah, it's beautiful and all, but we want to make a long distance move and it's a bit of an albatross. It was so expensive I don't feel like we should get rid of it. And I like it a lot less as a bed than I did as a crib. So for DD we decided Ikea all the way, lol.

39. T.H.O.U.

@ShootingStar: @agold: Agree, we have been really happy with how our Graco crib has held up (going on the 3rd kid). I can return to walmart if needed!

Same thing with furniture, so many toys get rammed into furniture they get knicks and scratches.

40. agold

grapefruit / 4045 posts

@ShootingStar: That's in interesting point you made. Also, my current home is not my forever home, and its hopefully smaller than my next home. So anything i would have picked for current home might not have been an appropriate scale for next home. And maybe getting better furniture for the set that comes after the crib is a good idea.

@T.H.O.U.: That's exactly what I'm hoping for! That this crib will hold up a few years to get me through my first and hopefully next (and maybe next after that ) children.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee