Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. Mrs. Yoyo

blogger / pomelo / 5400 posts

@MamaG: @Mamaof2: They have two letters that they focus on each week. For the month, there are about 10 sight words, a few word families (-am -at -ap) and some sentences that incorporate both to master. And similar cutting and pasting. None of that seems out of line with what you're getting. The things that have raised my eyebrows are the in-class worksheets that require them to write several complete words (whose letters may not have already been practiced) in what seems like not that much time.

2. Mrs. Yoyo

@Baby Boy Mom: 30 mins of homework every night? That's insane.

3. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: Yup! I agree! I haven't been making him do it, but last week we got a post-it note that we need to send it back completed, and a letter from the guidance counselor on the importance of homework. And then today LO tells me he needs to do his homework otherwise the teacher will send it back again. So yeah...we are going to have to chat about that because um he's 5 and there are more important things for him to be doing in the little time he has after school.

4. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

LO is journal writing a few times a week in class. They draw a picture and then have questions: What did you do? What did you see? How did you feel? etc. They added a couple more questions after a few weeks. (We started early August.) The ones that don't write too much yet put down letters of sounds they know. Then tell the teacher. Inventive spelling is good enough and the teacher corrects approximately 1-3 words (the words that are way off) a day. I have no idea if these are high or reasonable standards but LO improved greatly in just a few weeks of practice. We didn't do anything extra at home. Only homework is one letter a day (we are on letter v) and name writing practice.

I think the part that concerns me most about @mrs.yoyo's situation is that they didn't give any formal letter practice HW. We received a letter stroke order picture at kindergarten orientation and were told several times up front to practice.

5. Mrs. Yoyo

@808love: yeah, I'm not sure how much stroke order and all that is emphasized. When I was working with him yesterday, it seemed like he was still in "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" mode.

In the process of setting up a conference now...

6. Maysprout

grapefruit / 4800 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: are they saying negative things to your son too? Seems like such a bad way to go about things for them to actively discourage a kid who's trying.

So far things are going fine for us, she mainly seems to enjoy it, but my one concern is recess. It's at the very end of the day and they don't always have it if they run out of time. Gym class is only once a week. And she's starting to say I wish we didn't just have to work all day. So she comes home super tired but also needing to get energy out, it's a hard combo. I really don't get it, everything I read has emphasized how much regular physical activity breaks help kids learn, it just seems so unhealthy to not have that.

7. Mrs. Yoyo

@Maysprout: God I hope not? But he clearly knew he hadn't done well when I took it out of his backpack, and he has also previously talked about making his teacher "sad" ...

One of the things I will be emphasizing in this conference is that I feel like I'm not seeing/hearing about much positive reinforcement. Which is huge for him. If he feels like he did some little thing well, it makes him try harder on the big things. If he feels like he failed, well, the opposite happens and he doesn't want to even try anymore.

8. yin

honeydew / 7917 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: So sad to hear what your son is going through. At my LO's school they realize that people are coming from a big range of backgrounds. Some kids are advance and others are still learning the basics. In kindergarten they try to have a fair representation of a mixed range of abilities. They often work with partners so that the kids can help each other out. It sounds like the expectation from your LO's school is really high, and a teacher conference is necessary to get a better understanding of what is going on.

9. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: I really hope you can get some answers from the conference with the teacher. It sounds to me like your DS is just going to get frustrated and turned off of learning/dislike school unless a better approach is implemented. Everything you have described sounds more advanced than what I'm seeing, and school starts almost a year later here (most kids are already 6 with some older 5s).

@Maysprout: that seems strange that they don't always have recess. How long is your school day? Our school has a 15 min recess in the morning, 55 min after lunch and another 20 min in the afternoon. They also have PE twice a week for an hour.

10. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: I would definitely schedule a conference with the teacher - in our school the 1st 6 weeks are just about learning where the kids are at and after that they are put in groups based on ability.

DD had to draw pictures of fruit after sorting them - she cant do that, she scribbled and the teacher gave her a big smiley face - kids need to praised for efforts at this age, not blasted for going slow or not knowing how to do something

11. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@Maysprout: From what I gather, my son only has recess for a short period each day, it's about 25 minutes. Also has gym only once a week.

@Mrs. Yoyo: I hope you get some answers out of the conference.

12. Maysprout

grapefruit / 4800 posts

@lamariniere: yeah, I think at least 20 min a day are required by law in our state for elementary kids bc so many schools were cutting it out. Some days she'll come home and say they had two recesses, sometimes none, but mostly it just seems to be whatever few minutes are left at the end of the day by which point she's a tired lil zombie anyways.

13. Mrs. Yoyo

@Mamaof2: Yeah, I've seen a couple of smileys in the wild but only when he absolutely nails something. I think I have even seen a couple of frowns, which seems completely unnecessary.

@Maysprout: That's rough. I think ours get 30 mins plus they always have some sort of mandatory 15 or 20 minute movement break on days they don't have PE. I still feel a little bad for him though because he's out there at like 1 pm, there's no shade and it is still so hot here.

14. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

OH The frowns would really bother me when I first saw them! But then I would probably adapt or offer suggestions (like another mark).

Kids need specific formative correction but not disapproval from their teachers.

15. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: the frowns seem harsh. I've seen "need to work on", which seems more gentle and productive and our teacher does a ton of positive comments too.

16. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@Maysprout: FYI check your law. Our law only requires a certain number of minutes of physical education. That can be PE class which may even be indoors. 😬 Our state tried to pass a law requiring additional outdoor free play but it didn't pass.

17. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

On the physical activity topic - our girl has PE 2-3 times/week. She's on a rotating schedule of T/TH one week and M/W/F the other. They also get a 30 minute recess immediately following lunch each day. They haven't been able to go outside very often because it's still so hot here. And I don't think the gym is available for an indoor recess either They tend to go back to the classroom, and I think the teacher tries to do something physical, but their space is limited.

18. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

We are on fall break and LO said she is "getting a little kinda but I don't want to say it, bored" staying home with me. I asked her if she misses her teacher and she said, "I do, I do." I guess she has made the transition! Are any of you on fall break? Any plans?

19. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@808love: haha that's cute!

We don't have fall break - 1st break is Thanksgiving!

20. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: No fall break here either. We just had two days (not consecutive) off though in the past week. Conference day for the end of our first 6 week reporting period and Columbus Day.

Anyone gearing up for Red Ribbon Week? Do your schools do anything? What about school costumes for Halloween?

21. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@808love: how long is your break for? Ours is coming up soon and it's for 2 weeks! We have lots of visitors coming during that time though, including grandparents, so I think we'll manage to stay busy.

22. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@lamariniere: I walled you! We have had some down time but also 2 birthday parties, half day sports camp, art class, family nights, library visits, just ended visit from a grandparent...what else does this kid want from me?! LOL! Boredom is good sometimes, I'm told.. ...@MamaG: I think Red Ribbon is late Oct or early Nov. They didn't say anything yet but the school used to do Dress Up/Spirit Week at the same time in the past. We do have a Halloween Parade. Last year, they made it into a Storybook Parade to be more inclusive but that's out this year and Halloween is back. I ordered LO's costume a little while back and just noticed they jacked up the price 40% so glad I did it while I could. Just hope she didn't grow out of it because parts of the costume just fit.
    ETA: just found out Red Ribbon starts Oct 23 http://redribbon.org/theme/

23. looch

No fall break, we just began school in September, so with this calendar, the first break is the week between Christmas and New Years Day. We have had a lot of time off though for Jewish holidays, plus Columbus day. My son is in off today, as a matter of fact. I think there are only something like 17 school days in the month of October for us.

For Halloween, they're doing a short parade in the afternoon. Kids can bring their costume to change into, and then after the parade, there might be a small party, but the school is big into not providing food at parties, so I need to figure out what to do instead. Then it will be time to go home.

Red Ribbon, no idea what that even is.

24. Maysprout

grapefruit / 4800 posts

Their first multi day break is Thanksgiving (they started after Labor Day. They did have Columbus Day and some random half day.

I don't know red ribbon day either. I think they do stuff with pumpkins, haven't heard anything about costumes yet

25. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@808love: yes, YOLO theme. I didn't realize it was the overall campaign theme. We are doing a whole spirit week and got the handout yesterday. Does this planners heart good to get notice. 😍 I'm assuming sine our final day is movie or book character day that we won't be in costume on Halloween.

26. Mrs. Yoyo

DS is on fall break this week. So glad he's getting a chance to relax and sleep in a bit. But I'm also dreading the transition back to school mode.

Anyone else already have fundraiser fatigue? I feel like there's something every week. We had a big coupon book campaign but I didn't anticipate all the little stuff, like trying to get us to buy his art on mugs and crap, spirit days at restaurants, bring-in-coin drives, the book fairs ... It goes on and on. At least I don't mind the book fairs.

27. sunnyday

kiwi / 573 posts

@tinyperson: how is your DD making out?

My DD is actually doing really well, socially "behind" for sure, but loves going and has been a sponge in terms of learning and her teacher is so amazing to her. She has a really good team (ECE, parent volunteers, etc.) in the class, which is great too! Went with class on first field trip (orchard!) yesterday. I saw the social stuff, she doesn't really seem to latch on to any friend/kid in the class, definitely prefers teacher, ECE and definitely says nothing in a group setting where they are being asked simple questions, just stands back very reserved and totally muted. I hope that will eventually come.

"Homework" has been pretty light, one book comes home each night she reads, it's insane within a month she is reading....and like....she's still three! Obviously very simple sequences and lots of work on sight words, but something I didn't expect already. Parents got the attend an evening reading session a few weeks ago so we learned how they are learning to read in the class so we are teaching them and assisting them at home the same way, it was soooo helpful. Her printing has really tidied too, same size on something resembling a straight line! She is only 1 of 3 JK girls in the class, so all her friends at this point are boys.....and it's really just the two who live on our street! She is four next week, and a set of twins in the class are also four the same day. She had been coming home (to daycare) for lunches but was struggling with the lunch transition and we learned was the only kid going home, so she is staying for lunch now and seems to be doing okay. Seems to do better with the same things in lunch versus having to get creative each day for her.....which I am not complaining about!

28. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: We have some of the fund raising overload as well. So far we've had hat day (for the 6th graders fund), afterschool treats (for the 6th graders fund), this week is crazy socks (again for those 6th graders!). We've also been hit with a district wide food drive and also donations toward our fall festival. We also had the book fair and scholastic monthly flyer.

I'm just dreading the cookie dough or candle sales, or whatever they come up with. These ones haven't been horrible so far, but it's constantly something.

29. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@MamaG: I have never heard of Red Ribbon week! I guess that's not a "thing" here.

We haven't had any days off yet. We have an early dismissal next week and our first real day off isn't until Election Day.

Fundraising isn't horrible, though there are a lot of "spirit days" between LO1 and LO2's school. LO1's big fundraiser is coming up and it's a Walkathon. Honestly, I think my mom was happier to just write a check than to have to buy wrapping paper or some other thing she doesn't really want/need. I'm not really into fundraising at all, even though I know it's important. I just hate asking people (or teaching my daughter to ask) for money!

On a different note, I can't tell if LO's teacher has figured out how well she can read, because she keeps sending these emergent reading level books home. I think my daughter my be nervous to read in front of her reading group, and so maybe her teacher isn't really seeing her true skill? I am tempted to email but I don't want to come across as criticizing her teaching ability...I just want my girl to be challenged! We don't have parent conferences for another month.

30. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

We had two big fundraisers of the year in the first quarter. The book fair and a family carnival. They asked for cash donations to create the carnival and then we attended and spent more money there. We also had the Scholastic flyer. Second quarter I anticipate spending money on fieldtrips and teacher's Christmas gift.
    @Pancakes: I had a similar concern but didn't say anything to the teacher. LO also told me that they just put their head down on their desk when they finish work. To stimulate her brain, I had her pack a book from home she hadn't read on her own yet to keep in her backpack and ask her teacher if she could read it in her free time instead of put her head down. Well, message got lost in translation (to Lo's angst and my embarrassment-for taking away instructional time) and she ended up being allowed to read the whole book out loud to the class! It took two separate sessions because it was a longish book. Wish she practiced it!! Anyway, the teacher and I have never discussed it but guess they all know she is reading now.

31. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Pancakes: We just had conferences and I think they leveled my daughter too low on her reading. She's been leveled as "C instructional". The books she's bringing home are laughable compared to what she's capable of. I've received some pointers from the teacher and here they are:

1) Comprehension - make sure she understands what she's read, ask Who, What, Where, When, How questions after the reading. And ask her to relate the text to herself or her experiences.
    2) Word endings - make sure she's getting all the "s" and "ed" and "ing" on words.

All that being said, they use STRIPE (I need to figure out what that stands for). Apparently they have assessed all 100+ Kinder kids at her school, compared their levels and grouped them accordingly to below average, average and above average for reading groups. LO now sees a different teacher for reading and she's with a different set of peers to work on reading development based on her current skills.

We also had to set an agreed goal for mid year reading level. The teacher recommended to increase by two levels. I don't know what "E" level books look like, but I'm hopeful we will get there.

We are really focusing on comprehension at home now, it's not something we focused on previously.

32. looch

Our school is using DIBELS for reading levels. I have yet to see the assessment, but I know when I sent my son, he could not read. I tried to do sight words with him over the summer, but everytime he would say "I can't read" and I didn't want to create a negative association, so I pulled back. Now, he's mastering sight words and seems like he can read some words, but as far as comprehension goes, I don't think he could answer simple questions, but I am okay with that. I was an early reader and I have to be honest, it didn't really make a difference in my overall education, so I have pulled back my expectations.

We have options to use RAZ kids, Headsprout, Dreambox and Everyday Math computer programs, and I am kind of conflicted. The principal said that about 20 minutes per night is about the right amount of time for kids to be spending on an app as above. Now that school is officially underway, homework is coming home on Monday, with the expectation that it's due on Friday. As it is my son gets home at 4 pm and nighttime routine begins at 6:30 so I just don't know how I am going to cram that in....I am wondering if I talk to the teacher and basically tell her that we will complete the homework, but it will be handed in on Monday? Is that entitled of me? I am sure other families are having similar issues and I do believe that while my son doesn't need to do the work now, I want to set the precedent for him when he can complete it without frustration.

Thoughts?

33. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: not being snarky but what do you have to do for those 2.5 hours - homework shouldn't take more than 5 mins - can you just do it as soon as you get home?

I wouldn't do any apps in K - just homework and nightly reading at bedtime

34. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@looch: is the app part of the homework? And is the app mandatory? If it isn't part of the homework or mandatory, I would probably find a way to carve out time one evening per week to tackle the homework. We have homework every night but it's only 5-10 min. I've been vigilant about doing it right away every night except Friday, but the expectation is that it is done sometime over the weekend. We don't have any app or computer things to deal with.

35. looch

@Mamaof2: It's okay, I don't take your question with any snark at all!

I want him to have some downtime, to play outside and have him do some light chores around the house, like setting the table for dinner, much like what I do when I get home. I don't leave work and then immediately come home and do more work, you know? I don't want to spend what little time we have during the week battling over a worksheet.

@lamarinere: the app is completely optional, BUT it has a teacher component where the teacher can view the progress and assign work. I get the feeling that it's not really optional but highly encouraged, considering the district pays for the licenses.

36. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: is it 5 worksheets a week?

I would probably do outside time, then come in a get dinner ready and do the worksheet, then set the table ,eat, etc.

It cant hurt to ask if you could get them early (the Friday before) or send them in late (the following Monday). How do you think your DS would do sitting down and doing all the work at once though?

37. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

This is what I would try: After LO has eaten either snack or dinner, I would give LO ten mins for homework. See what time is best for productivity or LO's choice. The earlier the better, in general. Do whatever you can in those ten mins. and leave the rest undone and report to school as is. If LO does finish early though, you "get" to do your school app for the rest of the time. Like it is a privilege. On weekends, you can do more app time as desired since it is optional but encouraged. I think I remember math is your LO's strong suit so that should be ok to wait until the weekend for a longer app session. I think they are at the age where they have to see schoolwork time as part of their regular fun time and make daily learning as fun as possible.

38. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@looch: We don't have 20 mins of homework every night, but we are in a similar situation. We get home at 4:30, I need to start dinner around 5, we start getting ready for bed around 6:30. What I'll do some nights is let her "stay up," so that she works on whatever homework she has or I want her to do between 7-7:30. I just usually pick one thing, reading, math, or writing (we always read, but sometimes I want her to spend a little more time reading to me). I'm okay with pushing back bedtime a little because it's just too hectic to work on homework before then. I would probably save any apps like you're describing for the weekend.

39. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

How long do you think it would take each night to do one piece of the homework? LO gets home at about 5:45 and goes to bed at 8:00. We make sure we get in her 15 minutes of reading nightly and address any homework that might come home. Her homework usually will take 5-10 minutes at the most. She will sometimes do it before dinner while we are finishing getting it ready or right after dinner as we are clearing the table. Reading is always done after she has on PJ's and before she brushes her teeth.

40. looch

It's a packet, I wish I had grabbed it to bring with me today, but it's work for Monday through Thursday and this week it was 4 worksheets.

If my son is in the mood and not tired, he can do a sheet in 3 minutes, it's just that if he is tired and he makes a mistake, he has a complete meltdown. For example, last night he didn't finish some classwork, so he took out his papers and went and got the stamps out (the exercise was to read, write and stamp a 3 letter word) and he quietly finished it without any fuss at all. But, 5 minutes before, he had tried to make a heart on a piece of paper and it came out lopsided, and he completely lost it (throwing stuff and himself on the floor). It can go either way and I have a short fuse after work to begin with!

This has been an interesting read, I think I am going to try several things as mentioned...at 5 pm, do homework for 10 minutes...I think this is the way to approach it and if it's not done after that, send it as is.

I would love it if they gave us the packet to complete over the weekend, because i would simply break it into two parts and do one part on Saturday morning and one part on Sunday morning. Right now, those are the quiet times for us, he's had something to eat, he's not tired and he would be totally fine doing that work.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee