Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Entering Kindergarten Sept 2016: Moms Chat

1. looch

wonderful pear / 26210 posts

@Baby Boy Mom: I would speak to the principal, not the teacher, and if needed I would speak to the superintendent. It's possible that they don't know the details at every level and maybe they need to.

@Mrs. Yoyo: I talked to the principal of my son's school and at one point he had 40 out of 240 kids out sick! Not to mention teachers. It doesn't surprise me, though, because there's only so many subs available.

2. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: woah! What's going around? I know there is chickenpox going around the preschool at our school and a few kids have been out with a tummy virus, but nothing like shutting down the school!

On another note, my son's teacher is on strike tomorrow. Luckily, I can still take him to school and they will watch him and he'll have lunch. Also, his German teacher isn't on strike so he will have German class as usual (it's most of the afternoon). I don't mind if the teachers are on strike as long as they offer backup care.

3. Mrs. Yoyo

blogger / pomelo / 5400 posts

@Mamaof2: yes, a large public district. Several of the other area districts have done the same. I guess the subs were dropping like flies, too.

I just hope winter doesn't try to make a comeback -- they will cancel class here for an inch of snow, too. Right now we have a PT nanny so we're covered on childcare, but that might not be the case next year. No family to pick up the slack either. Ugh.

4. Mrs. Yoyo

@lamariniere: I've heard flu, norovirus, and strep

5. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: Ugh, those are all going around here, too. They Clorox-bombed a nearby elementary school this past weekend after a nasty Norovirus outbreak. And flu and strep have hit DD2's preschool this week. DD1 was home sick yesterday, thankfully just with a bad cold. I hope your son's school reopens soon!

6. FLnative12

olive / 57 posts

A little late to the party, but here we are.

1. DS - 7/11/12
    2. Public - but have applied for magnet
    3. Depends on where he ends up. Daycare does wrap around with pickup/drop off and we might do that at least for K since DD is there is would mean 1 drop off and pick up.

So today was the day to get the results of the lottery for magnet programs in our county. We did not get in to any of the 5 programs requested, but we are #60 on the waiting list for my first choice and #31 on the waiting list for another good program.

I am a little disappointed, but have heard from other parents/teachers that a waitlist number of 50 or lower is a decently safe bet that you will get in. So now I wait for the acceptance period to end and the waitlist numbers to update on 2/20. Fingers crossed!

7. 808love

pomelo / 5866 posts

@FLnative12: Just checking, I think you meant to post this to entering K 2017 board.

8. Mrs. Yoyo

@FLnative12: I think you want to be in the new thread? Our kids are already in K.

http://boards.hellobee.com/topic/entering-kindergarten-september-2017-parents-chat#post-2692515

9. Mrs. Yoyo

Holy moly. They just called off for the rest of the week! I mean, I guess I'm glad they are taking this seriously, but wow. I feel bad for everyone who is scrambling for child care right now.

10. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo:

11. looch

@Mrs. Yoyo: That sounds like a crisis situation! I would be annoyed, that's for sure, because a lot of working parents are going to be scrambling!

We're home for the day, expecting 10 inches of snow!

Last night we went to a math event at the school, sponsored by Mathnasium and the PTO. They had 4 sets of tables per grade with activities for the kids. I was really impressed with it, not because of the activities but just getting the kids and parents out there. They had record turn out.

12. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: Wow! I hope everyone is safe. Our issue around here with public schools is the buses. If the roads aren't safe (or winds too high) the buses can't operate and school is closed.

13. T.H.O.U.

I was actually home with DD yesterday because on Tuesday she was sent home sick for the first time. She had diarrhea twice poor thing. She turned out fine but she has trouble holding it if she has an upset belly.

But on the bright side, baby sister stayed home with us too and she took a good 2 hour morning nap (which she needs because she doesn't do that at daycare). In that time I got to sit and do some of the Reading Comprehension passages that were recommended to me on the other thread. She really impressed me! I downloaded a bunch from Teachers Pay Teachers that were free and will totally invest in some more later on. I may also contact her teacher about seeing if she can send any more home that she may have. The quick 3 sentences were super easy. We also got to practice her spelling/sight words for her test this week.

14. FLnative12

olive / 57 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: Haha, oops! That's what I get for multi-tasking on my phone while at work. Thank you for the link!

15. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

@T.H.O.U.: Wow, spelling tests already?? DD's class has an envelope of sight words they keep in their binder and they are supposed to practice reading, writing, and spelling them at home but they are not tested on them. That's a lot of pressure, for kindergarten, I think.

For everyone else, do your kids have spelling tests?

16. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@Pancakes: Yes my DD is expected to know how to spell her sight words.

They also have a spelling test for new words that is mainly used to see if they can guess how to spell the word based on letter sounds.

For example DD spelled sorry: srre - which was great even though it was wrong.

17. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@looch: snow day here too

18. T.H.O.U.

@Pancakes: Yup. They've had them all week. I think the words are pretty easy. Usually they are aligned with the letter/sound they are working on that week. They have a few spelling words and a few sight words.

pen
    pet
    hen
    ten
    are

you
    can
    to
    we

19. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

I never thought to work on spelling. I'll need to do that with our sight words. When LO wants to write, I encourage her to try without having me spell every word. I'll correct her after.

20. T.H.O.U.

@MamaG: I am very much a visual person. So I do think it has helped a lot expand her sight word list by having to actually remember and write how the word is spelled!

21. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Pancakes: they have "dictation" where the teacher reads the words and they spell them. They just started doing it a week or two ago. So far it has only been 4-5 words at a time. I think that's a big part of learning French grammar and as kids get older they do a lot of dictation for whole sentences and longer texts.

It's interesting to hear about site words. I don't think my kid really learns site words, in any case, there is no site word list, but he is definitely learning phonics. But I guess that's a huge difference between French and English. Once you know the rules in French, you can be pretty sure about most pronunciations whereas there are a lot more exceptions in English.

22. looch

Sight words are expected to be spelled correctly. As are the words that stem from them. If a sight word is can, you can change the front letter or add a silent E and those are expected to be correctly spelled.

Longer words they do the "spell it like you say it" approach. I don't correct that.

@T.H.O.U.: so those are the sight words that they're working on? We get a list of say 25 of them every marking period and they're assessed every quarter.

23. Baby Boy Mom

pomegranate / 3983 posts

Snow day here too! 😢😬😜 3 kids home.

We also have sight word lists and they have spelling tests on them. Every list has 25 words and as soon as they master one they are given the next one.

24. T.H.O.U.

@looch: The first set was her "spelling" words for the week and the next few were the sight words for the week. She's tested on a set each friday.

25. looch

@T.H.O.U.: I read in one of your earlier posts that you guys had good results with the reading comprehension worksheets! I am glad to hear that.

Have you considered a sight word game, either with flashcards or something else? I had good success with Pop for Sight Words by Learning Resources, in case you are looking for something. My son sees those free printable flash cards and kind of recoils. Give him a shaped card and a box and it's a whole different deal for him.

26. T.H.O.U.

@looch: Thanks! She does really well with sight words. We use a lot of post-it notes at home to help reinforce them and she likes to move them around the house. Its more the actual reading/sounding out/blending of harder words that she needs practice on. Unfortunately the stuff that just takes time to sit down and practice.

27. looch

@T.H.O.U.: They have word blend cards too! I have a deck of them somewhere.

I agree, it's the time that is hard to come by. I find my son unable to do a lot after school. By the time he gets home, he's just done and by making him work, he acts out and then it's behavior issues.

28. Mrs. Yoyo

@looch: Yes! Just trying to get my son to read one short book on school evenings is often so, so frustrating. Glad I'm not alone.

29. Mrs. Yoyo

Checking back in. Kiddo is now exceeding expectations in reading, which is great. And doing fine with math and writing, though I still think his handwriting has a long way to go.

Unsurprisingly, he needs to work on the maturity-related things (listening, managing his stuff, etc.) Ah, the plight of the summer-birthday kindergarten boy.

30. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: Great news!

We just got our mid-year reading assessment back. LO achieved her goal she set for herself at the beginning of the year. She's set a new goal for end of year reading and it should be achievable. Our "task" for this week is to work on writing a sentence with a capital letter to start, word spacing and a period at the end.

31. Mrs. Yoyo

@MamaG: Spacing can be so tricky. I think he's finally getting it but for awhile it was like he was starting words either miles apart or right on top of each other -- no happy medium.

Our challenge is numbers right now. He keeps writing a few of them backward like half the time. Not sure what the mental block is there, especially since he often does it on worksheets where he has examples to look at.

32. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: writing numbers backwards is normal up to 3rd grade (DD does this and her teacher is not concerned)

DD had a great progress report but like many others she is lacking in her listening and managing skills

33. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: Oh goodness, penmanship skills are so painful to me. LO has lots of issues in this area and I'm very impatient. She has become very sloppy in her letter formation and it makes me batty. We have backwards numbers too.

We were working on a daily exercise of just writing the alphabet upper case and lower case. We'd note the ones that were incorrect at the end. Write them for her correctly and ask her to practice them a few times. We should probably do the same with numbers.

34. Pancakes

nectarine / 2180 posts

If you emailed your child's teacher, how soon would you expect a reply? I emailed DD's teacher Monday morning and haven't heard anything yet.

35. Mamaof2

squash / 13208 posts

@Pancakes: I expect a reply within 24 hours but usually its the same day

36. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@Pancakes: within 24 hours. Our teacher seems to do most of her emailing after 10 pm.

37. looch

She usually answers within the day, after 3:30pm.

38. KayKay

pear / 1961 posts

@looch: just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread! my DD1 will be starting K in the fall, and it's nice to read what y'all have gone through (good and bad!) to prepare myself

39. MamaG

pomelo / 5298 posts

We seem to be going through a sleep transition. She is having a harder time getting to sleep at night and waking on her own in the morning. What hours are your kids sleeping during the week?

40. lamariniere

pineapple / 12566 posts

@MamaG: it's variable, but in general my son sleeps 11-12 hours.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee