Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

How much to save monthly for college in a 529

1. banana

coconut / 8299 posts

@MrsMcD: Genius!!! I'm going to have to look into other under utilized college scholarships! We'll give piccolo a shot and that doesn't work. rowing it is!!! What about badminton? Or ping pong! Do they have ping pong scholarships?

2. deactivated_account

GOLD / pomegranate / 3938 posts

@banana: Yes, ping pong!!! That's a safe sport!

3. plantains

grapefruit / 4671 posts

The thing about athletic scholarships is that lots of them don't actually amount to very much money so even thoug it would be nice, I'll just have to ignore that option and treat it as a nice to have

4. banana

coconut / 8299 posts

@plantains: Really? There goes my ping pong idea. =\

5. psw27

pomelo / 5220 posts

Just adding my 2 cents here -- depending on the fund (look at your specific rules) you can transfer 529 accounts from one child to another. This is from Fidelity's website:

529 plans offer significant flexibility should the designated beneficiary (student) decide not to attend college. You can take out the money as a non-qualified withdrawal, but any earnings on non-qualified distributions are subject to federal income taxes at the recipient's rate as well as a 10% federal penalty. You can also change the beneficiary on your 529 plan account to eligible family members of the original beneficiary without incurring federal income taxes and the 10% federal penalty.

A family member is a person who has one of the following relationships with the original beneficiary: (1) son or daughter; (2) stepson or stepdaughter; (3) brother, sister, stepbrother, or stepsister; (4) father, mother, or an ancestor of either; (5) stepfather or stepmother; (6) son or daughter of a brother or sister; (7) brother or sister of a father or mother; (8) son or daughter-in-law, father or mother-in-law, brother or sister-in-law; (9) spouses of the individuals listed in (1)–(8) or the spouse of the beneficiary; and (10) any first cousin

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee