Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2013 Post-Partum Thread

1. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Revel: Using schedule quite loosely...

We wake and eat around 6:00am and then he falls back asleep or chills in the bathroom while I shower. Then if he is awake I feed him and then eat breakfast, but sometimes he sleeps and lets me eat and then I feed him.

If he stays awake, I'll take him for a walk, but if he falls asleep I wait till he wakes up and then feed him and go for a walk. This is all around 9:00am or 10:00am. He usually eats again after our walk and then takes a big nap (1 1/2 to 2 hours) until lunch time around 12:00pm.

Then he eats again and is usually kinda awake for a while in the afternoon so he'll eat around 2:00 and then 4:00 and maybe take another nap.

Dinnertime is our crazy time. He is on and off 3 or 4 times between 7:00 and 10:00. Usually before his closest feeding to 10:00 he gets swaddled and goes down in the Rock n Play until about 2:00. I usually have to wake him up to eat.

Then he sleeps until about 6:00am when we start it all over again!

2. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

How is everyone doing? I think many of have either passed or are approaching the two-week birthday! (Ours is tomorrow!) Is it getting easier? Harder? The same?

Breast feeding has finally (mostly) clicked with E so much that he won't surrender the boob. I never thought I'd do it, but I'm trying to get him to take a pacifier so that *I* don't become one! (So far, no success. He must have heard my refusals in the hospital.) We're gearing up for another sleepless night. At least he rewards us both with a nice nap in the morning!

3. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Espion: Our two week birthday is Saturday, but today is my birthday! We are doing well and figuring out somewhat of a routine, but other than nighttime I can't figure out much of a pattern to his eating other than he eats a lot!

We are still debating the pacifier, I can't decide. We are also debating the vitamins recommended by the pediatrician. Too many decisions!!

4. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@Espion: we are at 3w 2d. Doing alright. She is awake for long stretches (over 4 hrs this morning) which is ok if she isn't fussy! Also prefer this to not happen in the middle of the night lol. Have a dr. Appt today!

She still has her cord stump. She seems to see herself in the mirror in her activity center, spent a long time cooing at it this am. She can roll side to side. So, fun stuff! She gets up to eat once or twice a night which is manageable provided that she goes back to sleep fairly easily!

5. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@tlcbaby: Happy Birthday!! I hope you get to do something awesome and relaxing today!
    That reminds me, I bought Vitamin D...but I haven't given him any yet. We haven't been successful with the pacifier, and I'm still torn about it, but it has been hard getting anything done when he nurses 18 times a day! And I bought a baby scale to see how much he's getting, so I know home skillet isn't *that* hungry!

@LazyLightning: Is it bad that I wouldn't know what to do with E if he was awake for 4 hours? Talking to myself gets old, heh! E's stump finally fell off at the beginning of this week, but it is probably because the pediatrician put some silver nitrate on the stump. Good luck at the appointment!

6. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Espion: Thanks Well my lunch and dinner will be taken care of by various visiting family members so that is good enough for me.

DH had the sweetest gift idea, but didn't want me to take it the wrong way so he chose a different gift and told me about this one. He was going to get me some cute dresses in my pre pregnancy size because he knows I love pretty dresses, but he was afraid I would think it meant he wanted me to lose the weight. I wouldn't have thought that at all, I thought it was cute. I don't know what my real gift will be!

A's stump fell off so quickly I was worried something was wrong! It was, like, four or five days after birth. The plastibell from his circumcision came off recently and I am so glad - he looks like a real boy now. That thing made me sad for him.

I definitely think he is staying awake longer so yesterday we got down and had tummy time and I wore him in the K'Tan for a while and watered the garden. I even nursed him in there, but he eventually falls asleep when he is in there.

7. swedishfish

GOLD / coconut / 8266 posts

@tlcbaby: Happy Birthday!

8. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@swedishfish: Thanks I cried a bit this morning when I told A I already got my birthday present twelve days ago...and here I go crying again typing it. Aaaah hormones!

9. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@Espion: lol, I have no clue. Honestly she fusses a ton. If I put her down or try to do anything whole holding her. She will lay in her activity gym for a short while and be entertained tho.

10. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

We also do a lot of this.

11. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@Espion: we will hit 3 weeks on Saturday! It feels easier to me the last few days. I don't think she is any easier, rather I feel more used to caring for her.

I stopped tracking diapers, nursing times and intervals, and day sleep yesterday and I feel so much better! I think nursing is working OK for us. She nurses a ton during the day, but I'm trying to just be comfortable with that and not think it should be every 2 or 3 hours at this stage.

@tlcbaby: Happy Birthday! I feel you on being emotional, everything seems to do it to me!

@LazyLightning: I get some of those long awake stretches and am sometimes so stumped on what to do with LO. I'll have to get out her activity mat.

We also got the longest stretch of sleep out of her last night, 4.5 hours! I was up every hour for some reason though...

12. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@LazyLightning: I hate to see her cry, but your post made me laugh I haven't put A's gym together yet, just lying him down on a blanket. Maybe I'll get it out this weekend.

@Revel: 4.5 hours is awesome! I don't know how, but I wake up every night around 2:00am (around 4 or 4.5 hours after he goes down). It is like my body knows it is time for him to eat. Well, my breasts do anyway!

13. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

Did anyone read Mrs. Jacks' post about sleep yesterday? I'm already guilty of letting him nap on me and nurse to sleep among other things. I don't think I could manage to hear him cry in his co-sleeper for more than 10 seconds, though...

@tlcbaby: I tried the Ktan for the first time yesterday, but I think I made the mistake of doing it when he was probably still a little hungry and irritable. It would be a dream if I could get him in the sling and nurse him on the go!

@LazyLightning: Ha!! E would be right there with her. I've tried handing him off to my mother on occasion, but he'll be down with it for all of five minutes.

@Revel: I'm still tracking nursing because I'm still afraid about E's weight. I've stopped pumping for the time being though (primarily because its not like I can stockpile anything, we won't be in our rental until the middle of July). I hope that's not too late to start a stockpile for when I go back to work on September 1st...

But, it looks like he's *mostly* gotten the hang of this breast feeding thing!

14. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@tlcbaby: @Revel: yes get out your mat!! She will lay in it for up to a half hour batting at toys and examining the colors. It's been essential since she was about 2 weeks old.

15. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Espion: Cute photo
    I have only been successful with the K'Tan right after a feeding. But when my sister comes today I am going to try it on and ask her if I need a different size. I really think it feels to big.

16. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@LazyLightning: Yea, I am so glad you said this. I didn't think he would be interested in it for a while so it is just sitting in the box!

17. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@tlcbaby:

18. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@LazyLightning: Oh I love that one - so cute! She looks like she loves it! There was a Skip Hop forest theme one I really wanted but it was like $70!

19. swedishfish

@tlcbaby: Skip Hop Treetop Friends? That's the one we have but no baby to use it yet

20. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@swedishfish: Yes it is adorable! Soon enough

21. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

@tlcbaby: Happy Birthday! So awesome you can nurse with your LO in the K'tan. I have been using mine but I am not sure if I could do that yet! I know baby S is secure but I still find myself holding my arms around the wrap--new mommy paranoia??

@LazyLightning: Your LO is adorable! We have been using our playmat but not with the arches. I think you've inspired me to set that part up,

We are at 3 weeks and 4 days. I am feeling so much physically better than a week or so ago so it's been much easier to get out. I am not doing so hot on sleep though. I think I need to go back to trying to "sleep when baby sleeps." I go back to work at around 11 or 12 weeks, but I can't imagine how I will ever be well rested enough to be productive at this point! Anyone else feeling like that?

22. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@bisous: I still hold onto it a lot too

23. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

I'm starting to be convinced that E has a motion detector that recognizes when I'm horizontal with my eyes closed...

24. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Espion: Awww hopefully it'll keep getting better.

A has his first bad rash, a heat rash I think. So we dressed him just in a cloth diaper to sleep last night. It looks better today, but not all the way so I am still gonna call the pediatrician this morning to see if there is anything else we should do.

25. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@Espion: they really do! They also know if you're on the phone, or about to eat something that requires 2 hands. Crafty little buggers.

26. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@Espion: ugh, I feel the same, her sleep is really tanking the last few days. Every nap and night sleep/waking it is a battle to get her to actually sleep, and she has a tough time doing a good long stretch. I'm exhausted.

@tlcbaby: Sorry about the rash, poor baby. Hopefully it goes away very soon.

27. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@Revel: someone recommended a book to me called "The 90 minute baby sleep program" - it's 9 bucks on amazon. I bought it and my husband has been looking at it. Has some great tips apparently, explains newborn sleep and how often/when they need it, how to make them sleep better, etc. . I will be looking at it today also!

28. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@Revel: @LazyLightning: @tlcbaby: Yup! Remind me not to complain when he sleeps all the time when he's 15...

We caught an hour this morning by nursing on my side...something I've tried not to do, because having him in my bed flips me out (I'm afraid with the sleep deprivation that I'll sleep deeper than usual). But desperate times...

29. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

Gahhh OK I have been neglecting this thread long enough. I just went back and skimmed all the posts and am so happy to hear how everyone's LOs are doing. We've been more busy than I ever could have imagined--our LO just doesn't seem to like to sleep too much!

Jack with be 3 weeks tomorrow. He is so sweet, funny, and a chubber--I am BFing and supplementing with pumped milk and formula. My blood loss and transfusion from delivery had an early impact on my supply and establishing breastfeeding, but are working on it! I have been using a nipple shield while my nips recover, which works well, but we are eager to wean him off it. As for formula intake it varies between 3-15 oz depending on the day, and we hope to wean off that as well.

I am healing well from my 3rd degree tear, but unfortunately my sciatica which was a problem during pregnancy but went away around 37 weeks) has come back in full force Otherwise , I have finally been going out on walks (was not allowed to walk for two weeks beyond inside our apartment and at appointments!) and took Jack out for some errands in the stroller yesterday which was a lot of fun.

DH goes back to work after 2 weeks paid pat and one week working from home. We will miss him, but I am eager to find the groove of our little routine.

On Monday I start an 8 week new mommies new babies class for moms with new babies 2-10 weeks at start of class. I am really looking forward to having a scheduled outing every week!

Hope everyone is going great and enjoying this beautiful weekend.

Here is a pic of Jack from a week ago.

30. swedishfish

@maybebaby: Jack is adorable!

31. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@maybebaby: oh good to hear your recovering well and starting to feel better. Jack is the cutest lil guy ever!!! Hopefully someday @swedishfish and I will be here to share but until then....we wait.....

32. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@maybebaby: Holy cow, what a cutie!! A mom's group sounds fabulous. I should look into something like that when we move.

33. swedishfish

@jh524: haha, maybe our children will just live happily ever after inside our bodies.

34. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@swedishfish: it's quieter with them on the inside, I will tell ya that.

35. swedishfish

@LazyLightning: haha, true. My life is too quiet right now anyway though

36. tinypiglet

cherry / 184 posts

Hi all - Just re-posting from over on the June mamas-to-be board...we're home!

Cecelia Jane arrived at 9:57 am on Thursday, June 20th. 8 lbs, 1 oz, and that extra ounce is all hair! 20 1/2 inches long. She is stealing our hearts already. A couple of photos attached; one taken a few minutes after she was born and one from later that day.

Birth story to come, but the short of it is that I labored naturally from when my water broke around noon until just after midnight, when I had made it to 4 cm and chose to get an epidural. Had some issues with the epidural wearing off on my right side after a couple of hours, so had this weird combo of a natural + epidural labor for the rest of the night. Achieved 10 cm at 8 am, labored down for another hour, and started pushing just after 9 am. Never needed pitocin; the labor progressed just fine. Pushing was amazing (only about 30 minutes, and such a fascinating process) and the moment of birth itself was surreal and incredible. What a mind-blowing experience!

Can't wait to share more and catch up...but this mama needs a nap. Hugs to all of you on the June boards and good luck to @swedishfish and @jh524 with their impending arrivals!

37. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@tinypiglet: yay!!!!! Congrats. Love her name too.

38. jh524

pear / 1632 posts

@swedishfish: yes, they'll just live in our wombs forever.....hey, no diaper changes!!!

39. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

@Espion: Side lying nursing has been great for us some mornings, but I totally have the same fear of sleeping too deeply while DD is in bed with me. I have been setting an alarm for myself for 30 mins when I do that.

@maybebaby: Jack is a cutie! I hope your sciatica eases up soon.

@tinypiglet: Congrats on your baby girl! What a beautiful name!

40. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@maybebaby: Glad things are healing but sorry about the sciatica I had it for a while during pregnancy and it pretty much sucks. I am going to attend a new moms group soon, too. I might start the week after next. Jack looks so cute!!

@tinypiglet: Congratultions-she is beautiful and sounds like you did awesome, even with the epidural issues. Hope you are all settling in well.

We took Avery out to dinner for the first time tonight and it was a big success. We found a

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee