Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2013 Post-Partum Thread

1. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@tinypiglet: Are you feeling better?

My worst pain right now is my back! I guess from holding the baby and breastfeeding. I need to pay more attention to my posture I guess and try to stretch out some.

2. swedishfish

GOLD / coconut / 8266 posts

Hi all, I'm excited to join the other side! We are still in the hospital but Reese has already been discharged by the pediatrician. We're just waiting to see my doctor.

She latched pretty well on Tuesday and Wednesday but today's "feedings" have been terrible. I'm hoping things get better once we are home. She's already had formula supplements twice due to her low sugar numbers. I gave birth at 3:39 AM on Tuesday morning and we had so many visitors that day I almost had no choice. I really thought people would've given us the first day to rest and figure things out.

I was given so many bags of IV fluids during and right after L&D that my lower legs and feet have now swollen to become unrecognizable. I will have to wear slippers home.

I want to get out of here!

3. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@swedishfish: Hope you get out of there pretty soon!
    I think things will hopefully be better once you are at home and can settle in a bit. I was so happy to just get home and start figuring out what our days would be like!

4. tinypiglet

cherry / 184 posts

@tlcbaby: Yes, thanks! That EMAB spray seems to have really helped, or things just calmed down, who knows. I'll take it, whatever the reason.

Cecelia had a great night Tuesday night; I got six hours of sleep in total, which was awesome. But then last night she kept me up doing marathon feeding sessions from 2:30 - 5 am. Every time I put her down she'd be back up five minutes later wanting to feed. I definitely feel like we're on a seesaw - one night is good then the next one is not. Interested to see what her pattern is today!

My mom has been here since Sunday, which has been awesome. We have gotten so much done (planted herb garden, cleaned up house, cooked dinners, organized baby stuff, run errands, gone for walks) and just having the company during the day is really nice. She leaves tomorrow morning, which I am dreading.

Have you all had any help/company at the beginning?

5. tinypiglet

cherry / 184 posts

@tlcbaby: I have tried a number of different spots around the house for breastfeeding, and probably the best one has been my high-backed rocking chair in the nursery. It was a hand-me-down and is just a plain wooden chair, so I ordered cushions for it this week. I am looking forward to using it more regularly once those come (the hard wooden seat and my healing do not mix so well at the moment!) For now I'm moving between the couch and an armchair in the living room for the most part.

@swedishfish: I wasn't too swollen at the hospital but have been battling some leg and foot swelling at home this week. Keep drinking water and keeping your feet up and things should get better. Hope you get the official word you can head home really soon! It takes a bit of time to get everything processed, I noticed.

6. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@swedishfish: Yay!! I hope you can get home soon! I feel like it is a little unfair that the hospital gets to take advantage of the super sleepy newborn stage. It was like once I got home all hell broke loose.

@tlcbaby: I am constantly readjusting with these marathon nursing sessions. My back just won't take me sitting frozen in one position for two hours straight!

@tinypiglet: E does the exact same thing. I feel like I've discovered the magic key to sleeping and eating at night, then he turns around and won't sleep longer than 20 minutes at a stretch from 9 PM to 7 AM!

Had my post-partum appointment today. It was scheduled early since we are moving on Saturday. As far as I'm concerned, I've healed really well, but the doc doesn't recommend that I try for a VBAC for the next. I trust his judgement, and that was my instinct as well. E is a super small baby but my pelvis just wouldn't let him out.

Thank goodness for modern medicine, though. I would never have made it if I lived in the pre-modern era.

7. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@tinypiglet: DH's brother and sister in law were here and then his parents were here all week last week. Now that DH and I are on our own this week, I am realizing how much work it is just to do the day to day stuff. That is great that your Mom has been there to help. I might need my mom to come over soon and help me make some more freezer meals...we are running out of breakfasts!

I love my rocking chair, too! But it is upstairs so I mostly only use it at night. I tried to sit up straighter on the couch today and I put baby A down on the floor and did some stretching. He wasn't really amused.

@Espion: You may have already mentioned this, but have you tried side lying position? I did it a little bit last night/this morning since my back was so sore and it worked out well. What all do they do at your post partum appt? Just take a look and make sure you are healing?

8. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

@swedishfish: Oh no, hope you get to go home soon! Ugh, we had SO many visitors too, and I was in rough shape with third degree tear/getting a blood transfusion--as if BFIng wasn't hard enough with that, add in every family member and friend! Well meaning, but hard to do what you and baby need to do!

@tinypiglet: Glad you're feeling a bit better. I am on the 800 mg of ibuprofen and also use the bottom spray. Are you taking sitz baths? Earth Mama makes a nice post partum sitz bath tea I've liked. Jeez you have been productive! I am super impressed.

@Espion: So glad your appointment went well and also grateful for modern medicine!!

9. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

Have any of you been able to identify your LO's growth spurts? C has been cluster feeding like a maniac since 4:00! I even had to grab what I pumped today out of the fridge instead of saving it.
    @tinypiglet: @maybebaby: I am struggling w/ a third degree tear and episiotomy healing process and super hot soaks in the bathtub seem to help me... But then again, I don't really have time to take a bath haha

To be honest I am really struggling this week. I dread night time. DH works nights so I have C alone from 9:30 pm til when DH wakes up around 3-4 the next day. I read posts by people whose LOs give them a 3-5 hour stretch and I wonder what the heck we're doing wrong over here. C eats for an hour every two hours. Factor in diaper changes, washing diapers and wipes, pumping, baths, swaddling, and tummy time and I am just zonked.

10. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@grizz: I think I've had, maybe, 2 three hour stretches from E in the last 2 weeks. And one of those stretches, I was sitting upright with him perched on a boppy. I've been soloing it at night too since DH has been away and it is HARD! Especially since E won't let me put him down and because I can't afford to sleep during the day (too much packing and cleaning to do). I haven't been this tired since my intern year.

Also wanted to say that E has had two two-hour stretches on the boob today. Growth spurt, comfort nursing, or just enjoys the undivided attention...I can't figure it out! I let him nurse, although, it is making my nips super sore again, because he still hasn't made it back to his birth weight.

@tlcbaby: I've tried side lying a couple of times with varying success. (Mostly unsuccessful, unfortunately.) he just doesn't seem to like the latch in that position.
    Yup, he checked my incision, yelled at me for packing/moving heavy boxes, gave me a script for the mini pill, and told me I could have sexy times in 2 weeks. DH will be ecstatic. Heh.

11. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@grizz: I can either identify growth spurts or the days I decide to have coffee. Yesterday, for example, A slept only in 1 hour stretches all day and wanted to eat the rest of the time. There was another day like this around the one week mark, but I had coffee that day, too, so even if it is just a coincidence I guess I won't be drinking coffee for a while. I think it is probably a growth spurt, though! He always looks/sounds like a crazy person when he is eating on those days.

Sorry your nights have been hard - it would be tough being home alone. When A wouldn't stop eating last night I just kept trying to remember that this phase is going to be over before we know it. And I guess I can't really be mad at him for being hungry, but I didn't think he was every going to go down.

@Espion: When I finally find a baby carrier that fits, I am going to try taking A for a little walk around the block when he is eating all crazy like that to see if it might be that he just needs comforting. I am starting to worry I could overfeed him when he seems like he constantly wants to eat, but I don't know if that is even possible?

Even when we get the green light for sexy time, I won't have birth control yet, so that will be exciting (a.k.a SCARY). Anyone know what they are going to do? I think I am done with the pill and I've been thinking about the ParaGard since it doesn't have hormones, but I need to talk to my midwife about it.

12. tinypiglet

cherry / 184 posts

@espion: Totally. Last night was an awesome night, with wakeups only at 11, 2:30, and 6. I even managed to sleep in my own bed instead of on the couch. I think there might have been a dream feed in bed around 4 but clearly it didn't disrupt me enough for me to write it down. Now watch, tonight will be sheer madness...

@tlcbaby: I cannot wait for those cushions to get here! Also, my mom left yesterday, which was cause for many tears on my part and hers. It was a good day, though - I went to a new mama's group here in our neighborhood and got lots of good info from other mamas who were there. Cecelia was the youngest baby by at least a month; they were all shocked I was out and about at just a week + 1 day in. I was proud of myself for getting there! I was just glad to be out of the house and having conversations, plus it distracted me from my mom having left that morning. I also need to meet more mamas in our area; we don't really have a big support network here since our families are in Michigan and Texas.

@maybebaby: @grizz: I was on 600mg Motrin but have cut it back to 400mg; mostly now I'm taking it for some hip pain on my right side, rather than for the stitches. I think the bottom spray has been helping a lot. I'm also still taking 100mg of Colace three times a day. Poop still totally scares the crap out of me (haha).

Nights are definitely the toughest - all the mamas at that group I went to agreed with that. They gave two pieces of advice: 1) go with the flow, and 2) just when you think you can't take it any more, it will change. They also encouraged everyone to take care of themselves first. You can't be the best mama for your baby if you aren't getting what you need too.

I'll leave you with a picture of Cecelia from her one-week birthday last Thursday. I even baked some special cupcakes for the occasion. She didn't want any, but we enjoyed them.

13. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@tinypiglet: How sweet! She is adorable. I am going to my first new mamas group on Monday, I am looking forward to it.

I have been feeling kinda like I could get stuff done when A goes down for a nap, but I can't focus on any one thing to actually get something done so I end up just watching TV or reading until he wakes up usually. I feel like I never have any idea how long he will be out so I am too scared to get started on anything. I guess it will pass as I get used to our new "schedule", but every little task seems too overwhelming right now. My only goal for today is to vacuum or convince DH to do it.

Here is a pic I snapped of Avery when he fell asleep on my nap last night.

14. tinypiglet

cherry / 184 posts

@tlcbaby: Thanks! We think she's pretty cute. Her hair gets tons of comments. Avery is pretty handsome himself!

Vacuuming is an admirable goal! I have found the only way to get things done is to just get up and do them, regardless of if you can finish or not. Laundry can sit in the washer or dryer overnight. Thank you notes can go half completed for a day or two. Amazon order can sit in your shopping cart for, oh, 72 hours (not that I know anything about that. ) Dishes can get washed but not dried. Baby book stuff can wait longingly for you on your desk for a week (I am so going to get to that tomorrow). Just try one thing (like vacuuming) and you will feel good about getting it done. And it's all good even if it doesn't get done - you are doing what feels right to you!

15. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@tinypiglet: That is a good way to look at it. I am so into checking things off my list I have a hard time starting things if I don't know if I can finish them. Maybe it will be good for me to realize everything doesn't have to get done right this minute.

16. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

Hi all! I hope it's ok if I join this thread! LO was due beginning of July, but made his appearance June 25th. I had a really nice L&D experience, though post partum recovery has been a bit challenging. I'm still in a good bit of pain, and I've been pretty emotional due to lack of sleep. This whole lack of sleep thing is no joke! It's mostly my fault, I'm too nervous to sleep when he sleeps most of the time. I keep checking on him to make sure he is breathing, which is ridiculous, I know.

I have been neglecting all housework, though my parents came over today while DH was at work and cleaned and watched the baby while I took a much needed 2 hour nap. I'm grateful for their help, though I hate feeling dependent on people for help.

Hope you're all doing well!

17. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@Pepper: Yay! The more the merrier! Not ridiculous at all!! E helps me check on him by refusing to sleep in his crib. Seriously, though, the first night home, I could *not* sleep because I had to watch his little chest rise and fall. (Oh, and don't feel bad about depending on others for a 2 hour nap. That's an awesome gift! It is essential for sanity!)

I bought an SNS system today on Amazon. We are definitely going to have to supplement because E still hasn't made it to his birth weight at 3 weeks. I'm going to add my experience with it to the BF'ing support thread once I get it.

18. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

@Espion: Thanks! I hope the SNS system works out for you, I've heard good things about them.

19. swedishfish

R lost 8 ounces between her birthday and the next day in the hospital and lost 3 more according to the doctor's office today. I think part of the issue was the meconium because she threw up several times in the hospital and didn't eat well (even formula). They have us coming back in for a weight check on Monday. But my milk just came in yesterday so now she is eating like a champ. DH is out getting me a manual pump right now while we wait for my electric pump to come. I am exhausted but I have a really hard time napping (especially with all of the company!).

@Pepper: our LOs have the same birthday!

20. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

@swedishfish: I didn't realize, Congrats to you! How fun to have a birthday twin on the boards A very sweet postpartum nurse gave me a manual pump, I've been using it because the electric pump totally intimidates me.

21. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@Pepper: welcome and congrats on the birth of your LO!

@Espion: I hope the SNS works out for you! I still can't believe you're moving in the midst of everything else going on with a newborn. Superwoman!

@swedishfish: My milk didn't come in until day 5. LO had lost 10 ounces at that point, but gained half of that back in 4 days. I'm sure your LO is gaining nicely now.

@tlcbaby: I can totally relate to wondering if I'm feeding instead of comforting sometimes. I guess nursing provides comfort, but I'd like to give my nips a rest if she isn't hungry, haha.

@tinypiglet: partial tasks sound like a good way tp go. I'm still at the point where I can't get anything done, but she is not a good napper so some days just caring for her is a victory! Thankfully SO doesn't expect much else out of me.

So LO is 4 weeks today, I can't believe it! I am feeling more competent, to some extent, and starting to even have fun some days caring for her! I must be getting used to the sleep deprivation... Nursing is still painful but I think I am slowly healing and we are slowly improving. Sleep for LO remains a huge challenge. Getting her down is hard, and she catnaps most of the time. My current goal is to get her to nap more frequently to head off over tiredness. We had some success today.

Hope you ladies are hanging in there today!

22. swedishfish

@Revel: glad your LO is doing well now with weight gain. I think R has already started to gain weight back but I had DH buy a baby scale today because I'm a little paranoid.

23. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Pepper: Welcome mama! I read your birth story - so excited for you. Hope your recovery goes well-at three weeks I feel pretty much normal down there, I had a small 1st degree tear. Awesome you got some help from your parents! I had DH entertain A for a while today and cleaned the bathrooms because they were starting to feel pretty disgusting!

@swedishfish: When DH's parents were here they wanted me to go take naps but I always felt like A could wake up at any minute and we never see them so I didn't really do it.

@Revel: Wow a month already! I still feel like I am not ready for A to be a whole month old. It's going too fast! I bet the napping will just keep getting better!

A napped at a weird time tonight from like 7 to 9 and now I am all freaked out he won't sleep tonight. Gearing up for a long night just in case...

24. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

Totally random: our moving truck comes tomorrow and of course we're doing a ton of last minute packing. I went to Buy Buy Baby earlier to see if they had SNS systems in stock (they don't) and I totally impulse bought an Ergo carrier and infant insert.

Best impulse buy ever. I have two hands free to help DH, E can nurse if he wants, but he's currently asleep on my chest. I look like a transformer, but now I can burn the midnight oil with DH so he isn't doing everything by himself! Yay!

25. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

@Espion: Yay! I love ours. I hope your move goes smoothly tomorrow and you can settle in to your new-normal quickly!

26. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Espion: Yea! We have a Becco Butterfly, but we still have to learn how to put A in it. Gosh with your move coming up it will be so nice to have the carrier!

27. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

@tlcbaby: Thanks! Hope you didn't have too long of a night. Sleep is at a minimum here, too it's almost 6 am and I got about 2.5 hours so far, which I sadly consider a success (I only got 30 mins last night).

@Revel: Glad things are improving for you!

@Espion: Awesome! How do you like the Ergo insert? We bought an Ergo, but I was afraid the insert would be too warm in the summer.

28. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@tlcbaby: I started making mini daily to do lists on my phone. They're REALLY simple. Like only 1 or 2 things to accomplish each day. One day it'll be laundry. Another day, wrap a baby shower gift. Another, vacuum X and Y rooms. etc. Then I feel like I did something and didn't sit around all day. I also have a few things I do every day -- namely, washing bottles, and doing other dishes (since I'm there anyway washing the bottles). Vacuuming worked out great because she fell asleep hard due to the loud noise! I even took an extra long time. The living room area rug is VERY CLEAN now. lol.

@Pepper: Welcome and congrats!! I have not read your L&D story but I will go seek it out! Hopefully you're recovering well. I had a pretty terrible birth and it took a few weeks to not have constant pain anymore. I still don't feel normal but I definitely feel better each day/week, so that's progress, I figure!

29. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

Here's a picture of my alert baby at 3:30 am. Jilted cat looks on in the background... wanting to know why we're interrupting her sleep!

30. swedishfish

@Espion: oh yay good! I have an Ergo but haven't used it yet. Good luck with the move!!

@LazyLightning: so adorable!!

I have a second "and a half" degree tear. The doctor said it wasn't quite a three but it was more than a two. My stitches started bothering me yesterday...I hope this Motrin kicks in soon. Laughing is hurting!

I pumped for the first time today with my manual pump and got almost two ounces in 15 minutes. It was sooooo nice for DH to be able to give R a bottle.

31. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@Pepper: The insert is pretty cushy and warm. E is in there with only a dipe on and I take breaks in front of the fan and AC vents so he doesn't get over-heated. I think it would be a little tough if I had him outside in this heat and humidity, but I'm keeping him indoors. He technically isn't large enough for the carrier, since he hasn't made it to 7 pounds yet (Homeskillet is a little bit!) but I needed a carrier to get him through the airport. We have a Ktan, but he hates it because he hates being swaddled.

@tinypiglet: OMG that hair!! What a sweetie!!

@tlcbaby: What a precious boy! He looks so content! I love sleeping babies. (And not just because they're giving mama a break!

@LazyLightning: Ha! They're always so alert when we're the least alert, heh. She is such a pretty baby!

Our movers are here! We've officially gone off the deep end!

32. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

Hi, my name is C and I refuse to take a nap today.

33. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@LazyLightning: That is funny about your clean living room. Did you have her in a carrier when you were vacuuming or she was just nearby and fell asleep. I love that picture (other than the fact that she is wide awake in the middle of the night). And of course I love the kitty photo bomb!

@Espion: Good luck with the move-hope everything goes smoothly.

@grizz: Ha! We have had a series of extremely short naps today. He sleeps for a little bit and then wants to eat like every hour. He did sleep through our trip to Target so that was helpful anyway.

34. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

@Pepper: congratulations and welcome! I migrated over as well, I was due in may and LO came June 2. I know the feeling of by wanting to be dependent on others, but take the help and get that rest! I wish I had done more of that!

35. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

@Espion: we have the ergo too with insert, but for the life of me don't see how he could nurse in it--maybe he is already too big for the insert? Good luck with the move!!

All your LOs are so sweet. Here is J being a ham with his wubbanub (DH staged this shot). And here he is fooling around with his daddy (I swear DH is wearing pants here, it doesn't look like it for some reason!)

36. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

Oh question--we have the AC on at 67 at night (window unit) and I sometimes get freezing! But every time we get J up he seems son sweaty! He sleeps in a dipe and a swaddle (a+a muslin blanket). Should we make it even colder in the room? Anyone else dealing with this?

37. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@tlcbaby: nope she was in her swing! I haven't had luck with th yet tho I have a k'tan and a bjorn... She gets so fussy in both!

38. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@maybebaby: the nicu nurses told us 65-70, and that you should dress baby one layer warmer than you would dress for that temp. But if your kid is sweaty I dunno - can you ask the doc? We keep our room about 68 or 69. LO wears a footsie pajama, a summer weight sleep sack, and sometimes a blanket on her lower half (shhhh!), and she is usually not sweaty. Sometimes her head feels a little cool to me even. However, my friend's son is always sweaty--maybe it's a boy thing!

39. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@grizz: back, this is my LO today too! She's usually a bad napper but today is unreal. Is there some 4 week 1 day sleep strike we don't know about?

How do you all nurse in your carriers? I still need to guide her on to latch correctly and kind of hold her in place. The carrier nursing sounds hard!

40. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@Revel: same happened to us! Napless horrible day at 4 weeks.

@maybebaby: so cute! We have that same wubbanub. She hasn't gotten the hang of it it. Mostly catches it on her arm and flings it out of her mouth!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee