Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2013 Post-Partum Thread

1. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@LazyLightning: sorry you dealt with this too but good to know! I pretty much blame all good and bad behavior on growth spurts these days, ha.

2. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@maybebaby: @Revel: There's no way we could nurse in the Ktan, because E fights it the same as a swaddle. For the Ergo, I have to put the waist belt a little lower on my hips and get him positioned so that he's right in front of my chest. It probably helps that he's 6lb 10 oz.

3. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@maybebaby: He is so cute! We have the AC on 70 or 72 (depending on how hot it is outside), but we have the fan on in our room, too. We swaddle A in a muslin blanket or in a SwaddleMe and he feels nice and toasty when I get him out, but not sweaty. It has been in the 70's here at night - low 90's during the day.

4. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@LazyLightning: The vacuuming totally worked! I just followed DH around and held A while he was vacuuming and he was out almost instantly!

@Revel: We nursed in the K'Tan, just once though. I kind of had him curled up in it, not straight up and down, I had to help him get latched, but once he was on it was pretty easy because there wasn't really anywhere for him to go.

5. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

I have been totally MIA for a few days. I feel as though I am spending all of my time trying to make sure Sienna naps enough during the day.

Everyone's babies are so adorable! @maybebaby: I especially love the staged YOLO and wubbanub pic!

We have been keeping Sienna in a onesie and a Light Swaddleme blanket at night and keeping the air around 68. She seems a little warm, but comfortable. I, on the other hand wake up all sweaty with hot flashes. Hormones! Hoping these night sweats go away soon-so gross.

@Revel: I have not even attempted to nurse in the k'tan yet.

Is the infant insert working out for those of you who have an Ergo baby carrier? Sienna loves the K'tan, but since DH cannot use it (I got a small and he would need a large I think), I was wondering if I should get the infant insert for our Ergo so he can use that until she gets bigger.

Here is one of my favs of Sienna-she turned one month last week:

6. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

@bisous: Sienna is such a cutie pie!! We have the Ergo infant insert and both DH and I really like it. C is super comfy and content in there!

7. swedishfish

GOLD / coconut / 8266 posts

@bisous: oh my goodness, Sienna is such a cutie pie!!

8. swedishfish

Breast feeding is going well but I feel very overwhelmed at being LO's food source. I'm considering switching to exclusively pumping but I'm worried about my supply taking a hit and having to supplement and then being judged by people. The pediatrician has been no help - we've been twice - all she says is continue to breast feed. I've had two meltdowns today. DH goes back to work on Wednesday and I'm terrified that I can't handle taking care of LO on my own.

9. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

@swedishfish: I can relate, it is definitely overwhelming being someone's food source. I say do whatever makes your life easier! My husband goes back to work tomorrow, and I'm nervous too.

10. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@swedishfish: I'm sorry you're feeling that way. Don't let others opinions color the decision you make. You're in the best spot to do the best thing for your family. If I can add my experience, I felt this way and was intensely freaked out by it for a few weeks. I was almost panicked thinking about the next feed and what if something happened to me, etc. I feel much more relaxed about it at 4 weeks plus. This is not to encourage you not to EP, just to let you know you're not alone, it's a ton of pressure!

11. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@swedishfish: I hear you. I do okay in the mornings, but in the fussy evening time when he wants to nurse for FOUR hours, all I want is my body back. I feel bad for thinking that, but by midnight, my nips feel bruised and I think he can't *possibly* be still eating. Then I start listening for a swallow, thinking that I'll de-latch him, and of course, I hear one. Little budgie is still working on his weight, so I let him nurse forever. It wears on my psyche a little to have a fussing baby at 2 AM, sore nips, and DH snoozing away (not that it's his fault or that there is anything he can do). But, it can't and won't last forever.

12. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

Curious, how many hours of sleep are you guys averaging a night? I think I'm probably getting 3-4 hours (interrupted of course, LO is so fussy at night).

We had a follow up pediatrician appointment yesterday, and LO put on 2-3 oz since Saturday, which is really good! She doesn't want to see us again until next month, but I'm nervous. How will I know if he's still gaining enough? My husband says I won't be happy until we have a live in doctor, haha. There is some truth to that!

13. swedishfish

@Pepper: I had DH go to Babies R Us and buy a baby scale for peace of mind. We weighed R before her weight check yesterday and our scale gave the same weight as the doctor's office.

14. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

@Pepper: same. 3-4 hours interrupted. My LO is a pretty inefficient nurser and has reflux, so he eats every other hour for like an hour. I feel like a zombie!

Of course last night he randomly slept from 1-5:45 and instead of being happy I woke up panicked that something had happened to him! Lol

15. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

@swedishfish: oh that's such a good idea! I definitely need to get one!

@grizz: I hear you on both the zombie status and the panic. If I wake up after even two hours I'm immediately checking to see if he's ok! That's an awesome stretch of sleep for you though!

16. tinypiglet

cherry / 184 posts

I've been averaging 4 hours of sleep a night, I think (interrupted). But last night, Cecelia kept me up until 2 am being all sorts of crazy - eating every 15 minutes, dozing off and then wanting more. Finally she went down in the napper on top of the Pack & Play (the only place she seems to really like sleeping) - and she stayed asleep until 7:30! I feel like a new person after 5 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

We have our follow-up ped appt today - I'm interested to see how much weight she's gained in the last week as I feel like she's been filling out.

17. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@grizz: I was the same way - the other night A slept for over 5 hours and I woke up and almost forgot I had a baby. Like maybe I had gone back in time or something! Of course, last night we were back on our 3 hour schedule.

@tinypiglet: 5 1/2 hours - nice! Hope everything goes well at your appt!

A is already over 10 lbs - his 1 month visit is coming up next week on the 10th. I am so curious to find out how big he is now.

18. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

Does everyone have their wedding rings back on? Mine is still too small! I had really small fingers pre pregnancy so any extra weight/fluid makes them too tight. It makes me so sad. The funny thing is that DH isn't wearing his either because he hurt his fingers doing pull ups and they got all swollen. So neither of us have our rings on!

Thank you all, too, for your advice on getting stuff done. I started making lists on my phone of just a few simple things each day and then I don't feel so overwhelmed like I have to get a hundred things done while he is sleeping. I even made muffins yesterday!

19. tinypiglet

cherry / 184 posts

@tlcbaby: I never took my rings off! I got lucky with the swelling I guess; it was mostly in my feet/legs instead.

After the birth, though, I couldn't get my rings off my finger for about a week. It wasn't painful, just humorous, since I had made it all the way through the pregnancy without an issue.

Glad to hear you are getting things done! it feels good, right?

20. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@tinypiglet: It really does! I have kind of just accepted that he will sleep as long as he sleeps and that is fine.

I nursed in public for the first time today! DH and I dropped off thank you notes to our nurses at the hospital and then went for sushi. A woke up shortly after we arrived so I fed him in our booth...and ate sushi at the same time!

21. Pepper

pomelo / 5820 posts

@tlcbaby: My rings didn't fit the last week of pregnancy, but they're back on now. Still not fitting in many pre-pregnancy pants though!

How old was LO before you took them out of the house for errands/dinner? I'd love to take him out more but I worry about him getting sick somehow since he's so little (8 days old). Hopefully I'm worrying for no reason!

22. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@Pepper: A was two weeks before we took him in anywhere - Target and an outdoor restaurant. Now, at almost four weeks, I am not as worried as I was. I take him to the store or to a restaurant. I just try to keep him in his carseat and keep him covered so people don't get all touchy feely.

23. bisous

persimmon / 1304 posts

@tlcbaby: I have my wedding band on, but not my engagement ring! They are the same size but I guess the band is a "comfort" fit, so it still fits with a bit of swelling. My e ring fit literally until a week before S was born, but with the heat and humidity around here, it's still too uncomfortable and tight to wear!

24. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

@tlcbaby: My rings still don't fit at all! It seems my fingers have gone back down to the same size, but my knuckles didn't. My shoe size is still up a size from my pre-pregnancy size, so I'm thinking my joints may have spread. I'm going to get my engagement ring sized up a half size so I can start wearing it again! So glad you had a good experience nursing in public, and I'm glad you got your sushi fix! It was one of the first foods I wanted PP

25. maybebaby

nectarine / 2177 posts

Need to catch up on yesterday's posts. But OMG you guys, longest stretch we've had is 4:15...J just woke up and it's been 6 HOURS!!!! Ahh!! My boobs are rock hard though, so once he finishes eating I need to go pump. But oh man I feel like a million bucks!!!

26. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@tlcbaby: mine are still way too small. I may need to resize. I'll give it a few months tho.

27. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@grizz: I think that is my problem-I can't get it over my knuckle.
    @maybebaby: That has happened to me one time - I could have written A a big thank you card!!
    @LazyLightning: Yeah, I am going to give it some time, but I may need to resize mine.

Anyone doing anything fun for the 4th? I was hoping to take A somewhere for a walk with DH since he is off work today, but it is supposed to rain all day.

28. swedishfish

My wedding band fits but not my engagement ring yet. I'm just going to give it a while. Like @bisous: my rings fit until the week before R was born.

R is up to 8 pounds as of this morning! Only 4 ounces away from her birth weight. This is such a relief.

I finally got my Ameda pump yesterday and pumped hands free for the first time this morning. So much easier and faster! I am seriously considering switching to EP. I would love for others to be able to feed R.

29. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@swedishfish: do you have a hands free bra? I haven't pumped yet (except with the manual when I get really full), but I think I am going to start next week.

30. swedishfish

@tlcbaby: yes! I got a Simple Wishes hands free bra from Amazon. Best purchase ever. I'll probably buy a second one.

31. swedishfish

@tlcbaby: and the electric pump works so much better than the manual one I had. It's unbelievable! I got just shy of 5 ounces total in ten minutes with the electric pump after R ate this morning whereas I was only getting max 2.5 ounces total with the manual pump.

32. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@swedishfish: Woah - I might have to invest in one of those things. I was trying to avoid it, but hands free sounds so nice once I start pumping.

33. Boheme

papaya / 10473 posts

The kidlet has acquired a new skill this week - SLEEP! We slept from 1:30-5:45 the last 3 nights. I never thought I'd be so happy to have four consecutive hours of sleep! The only casualty is that his newborn AIO diapers can't hang for that long so he's in disposables after his midnight nursing session. Anybody else getting more sleep yet?

34. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@grizz: wow, that rocks! We regularly get 3 or 4 hour stretches, with a few random 5 hour stretches some nights. I'll take whatever I can get!!

35. swedishfish

I feel so cut off from everyone because I'm stuck inside all day with a 9 day old. DH went back to work yesterday but he works from 2:30 - 11 W-F and 2 - 10:30 S-Sun so he's home to help in the mornings but I need the help at night and I feel terrible waking him up. I cry whenever he leaves and at random times as well. This is the hardest thing I've ever done. Please tell me it gets better as she gets older.

36. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

My rings always fit, although I didn't try to take them off after the hospital stay. I was so swollen from all the IV fluids!

My little budgie still isn't gaining weight. He's actually a fairly happy baby, but no one can figure out why he won't gain.

37. Espion

pomegranate / 3577 posts

@swedishfish: It definitely gets better. I swear I cried for two weeks straight when DH was gone. He doesn't actually help that much at night (we've got too much going on) and E refuses any and all bottles. It makes DH so frustrated and sad. But even with our issues, things have settled. We're not going out to eat every night, but we are settled. It helps that DH will man the fort while I go run a couple errands by myself. Before I get a mile away, I'm already missing the little guy. So, I feel like that's a little glimmer of "it was always meant to be this way."

38. Revel

pear / 1563 posts

@swedishfish: @grizz: @tlcbaby: sleep and pumping, two sore subjects for me, sigh. We were consistently getting a 3 or 4 hour stretch almost every night, but lately it is a battle to get her down, and we're lucky to get 2.5 hours out of her.

Pumping is also just not working! The most I've gotten is 2 oz total from a 25 min session. I can't really get out from under her during the day to pump, and she nurses a ton. I pump one side while she nurses the other in the morning and get close to an oz, and then pump around 10 pm after she goes to bed and can get an oz to 1.5 oz total. I feel like a complete failure! She is getting enough bc there are plenty of diapers and she gained 1.5 lbs in her first 4 weeks. But she takes a 3 oz bottle so i cant really buils a stash and give her a bottle at this rate. Any words of wisdom? I'm using an Ameda, may break out the hand me down medela to see if I respond better to that one.

Swedishfish, I had and still have those meltdowns, hugs. I felt the most overwhelmed from weeks one to three, after the adrenaline had worn off but before I felt remotely comfortable. I hope you start to feel better!

39. LazyLightning

pear / 1664 posts

@swedishfish: it gets better. I have cried so much.

40. tlcbaby

nectarine / 2750 posts

@swedishfish: It does...promise! I am no expert, but a few weeks in, I do feel like I am figuring him out a bit and getting used to my new life. It is a HUGE adjustment, give yourself time and don't feel bad about any feelings you are having. I have had a few breakdowns myself. I think it comes with the territory.

@Revel: sorry you are having trouble with pumping! I have no idea what to expect when I get started. Hope it gets better.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee