Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

June 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

I don't know where I'm at with my weight loss. I feel like I have lost most of it (based on what I see in the mirror). But since I only ever was weighed at my OB's office during pregnancy, I'm waiting until my six week PP appointment to be weighed there again (so I'm comparing apples to apples).

2. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@Mrs.KMM: I've been weighing myself every couple of days literally watching the weight melt away. I thought it was too fast, or something was wrong at first! But, my shape is totally different it feels like

3. Corduroy

pomelo / 5258 posts

@dc yoga bee: I'm sorry you're dealing with colic. It is one heck of an introduction to parenthood but it will make the other baby & toddler phases look easy. I hope you find soothing techniques that bring some relief.

4. LindsayInNY

bananas / 9229 posts

Just checking in! We're doing sorta well aside from LO's hunger strike. She's lost weight and been a crying mess. We bought a shield to try since I seem to have flat nipples. And I pumped earlier which helped immensely - for me and her! Our local hospitals lactation group meets tomorrow so I'm going to check it out too.

5. cascademom

coconut / 8861 posts

@dc yoga bee: For colic, I recommend Happiest Baby on the Block and doing the 5 S's. It saved our sanity with E. Happiest Baby and the Windi got us through colic. I've been there. You have my hugs!

6. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@78h2o: I hear you on the weight loss. I gained 40 total and so far have only lost half. It's really aggravating. I've started exercising more regularly recently. My goals are to fit back into my pre-preg jeans by the time fall comes.

@dc yoga bee: sorry to hear about the colic! Hang in there mama you are doing a good job!

@LindsayInNY: Hope that things work out better once you see the lactation consultant. I quickly gave up and now only exclusively pump. I don't like not being able to measure how many ounces LO is eating.

W has been going through major gas issues which we are still trying to work out. He is such an easy baby but gets so uncomfortable and upset Everytime he eats because of the gas.

7. dc yoga bee

grapefruit / 4770 posts

@cascademom: My buddy told me about the five s''s, amd we've been doing them the whole time instinctively!

@LindsayInNY: Hang in there. Lactation consultants are a great help, and hopefully things keep getting better!

@Eko: The ped recommended bicycling her legs, and putting her on her tummy to help her pass gas. Also, gripe water helps her burp and pass gas. Highly recommend it!

8. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

I took some 1 month photos of E using our DSLR camera. I LOVE how they turned out! This one is one of my favorites!

9. Coffee-lover

apricot / 340 posts

Hi everyone,

I hope i can join in your group. I followed along with the june boards, but never joined in (I meant to, but never got around to it, then I waited so long I figured it was too late.)

Anyways, I am a first time mom and have no friends with babies, so I am a little lost with this stuff.

10. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@Coffee-lover: welcome & congratulations!

11. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@Coffee-lover: Happy to have you join! Congrats!

12. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Mrs.KMM: super cute! Love that face!!

@Coffee-lover: welcome and congrats!!! When is LO birthday?

13. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

So I'm a dummy and counted 4w instead of going by the month, must be leftover preggo brain! So a couple days early.

14. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

Newborn photo shoot yesterday. E would not fall asleep, so it really turned into a family shoot while my mom tried to get him to sleep... But we got a couple good shots. We only got sneak peaks so far...looking forward to some sibling shots when we get the rest.

15. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Mrs.KMM: @Eko: So sweet! A month already!

@Coffee-lover: Welcome! Tell us about your little one!

16. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@Jess1483: So sweet!

@Eko: What a cutie! My shots were a day late because we realized the camera battery was completely dead when I went to take pictures the first time.

17. Coffee-lover

apricot / 340 posts

@Ash: @Mrs.KMM: @Eko:

Thank you. She was due June 6th, but I went into labor a little early and had a c section May 19th. After a couple weeks, the recovery was not too bad.

I have loved every second of being a mom so far. We had a few health scares with her, but she is ok for the most part. She was born with a small hole in her heart (VSD) which was not detected in utero. She is not symptomatic. The cardiologist says its very small, will close on its own, and she will not need surgery. She also had to have a ultrasound to rule out spina bifida occulta, because she was born with a dimple above her butt. Thankfully the ultrasound was totally normal. She had terrible acid reflux, but now that she is on meds, she is doing much better.

We are formula feeding, and she sleeps pretty well at night. I have a few questions for everyone: does anyone have a chart that shows by age how long babies can go without eating at night? I Was told not to let her go longer than 4 hours without eating at night, but that was a couple weeks ago.

Also, where is everyone doing daytime naps at? She Is napping mostly in the rock and play in the living room, but I am wondering when we should starttrying to have her nap by herself in the bedroom. I wonder if her napping with me watching tv and making noise is interfering with her sleep.

18. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Coffee-lover: I would say if her weight gain is fine, you don't need to wake to feed (lucky you!) I thought that advice was pretty much just until they're back at birth weight (not that it ever mattered with DS1--he never slept more than 4 hours at a time until he was a year old!) To be safe, you could talk to your ped, of course.

19. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Coffee-lover: I agree with Jess's advice... I think you are fine not to wake her if she's gIning appropriately, but check with her pediatrician.

My LO naps all over the place... crib, cosleeper, rock n play, swing, my arms, or the Ergo. i don't think the tv interferes with my LOs naps, but every kid is different. I think it's good to eventually get them used to sleeping on a flat surface without motion, but I think that is just something to keepin mind and work in gradually. My LO needs to start daycare in 8 weeks and will be napping without a swaddle in a crib, so that's what I'm working towards. She does fine in the crib, but she's still swaddled. She slept this morning with both arms out, so I think she will be ok by the time I have to go back to work.

20. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@Jess1483: love the pic!

21. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@Coffee-lover: Glad to hear all the health scares worked themselves out!

We just had our 1 month appointment with our ped yesterday. He wants us to start trying to stretch DD to five-hour sleeps at night immediately with the goal to have her close to six hour stretches at a time by two months.

During the day, DD naps in her rock n play in our main living area with the TV on and such. We don't have the auto-motion or anything so she is pretty still. But she is slightly slanted and not swaddled.

22. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Jess1483: cute!!!

@Mrs.KMM: thanks! That makes me feel a lil better

@Coffee-lover: I agree with the other mamas about the feeding and weight gain. My LO wakes on his own to eat every 3 hours, but if he slept longer I would not wake him. Also I thought about the sleep as well. W sleeps and naps in his RNP. most of the time it doesn't rock so he is fine with no motion. Very soon we are going to start having him nap in his crib so he is somewhat use to it when he sleeps there at night. The RNP has a 15lb weight limit so they can't stay in it too long, but I'm already noticing W is getting big for it.

23. rpparker

apricot / 363 posts

Hello June Mommas! Hope everyone is doing well! We got home on Saturday morning and have been settling in. My mom has been with us and has been a HUGE help with the baby as well as all the cooking, cleaning and walking the dog! She left today but my MIL is now here and she is not as helpful. She actually broke her foot in my hospital room (a story for a different day) so I feel like we now have two people to take care of!

Breastfeeding is going really well thanks to anamzing nurse who introduced me to a nipple shield during a mini breakdown in the hospital room one night. She is eating every 2 1/2 hours for 30-40 minutes at a time with some longer sessions. She slept in the bassinet for 2 hour stretches too last night!

I feel like I'm healing ok from my second degree tear even though I know there is s lot more recovery to come.

Our only issue has been LO's lack of poop! Plenty of meconnium poop in the hospital, and the two poops at home but nothing in the past 48 hours. Lots of wet diapers and she doesn't seem to have any discomfort but we called the pediatrician just in case. She said unless there is fever or irritability to not worry and they will see us Thursday at her one week check up. It just seems like with all the breast milk and minimum spit up that it has to come out eventually!

24. rpparker

apricot / 363 posts

Ha! Ignore the previous post. We just had a big blowout!

25. MrsBrewer

coconut / 8854 posts

@rpparker: LOL!! Glad you LO pooped! Isn't it funny that we hope for poop?!

So I think we might be crazy... But when I'm given the go ahead at my 6 week appt, I don't think DH will do anything to prevent. We've always wanted our kids close together. Plus it took a little while to get pregnant with J. I have pcos, plus I'm EBF so I'm sure I wouldn't get pregnant right away, but even if I do then it was for sure meant to be!!

26. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@MrsBrewer: Wow! Good for you! My friend was EBF and got pregnant when her first son was only 3 or 4 months old... he was sleeping though the night, so I think that was the issue. She hadn't even gotten her period. I don't think she found out she was until she was like 5 months along!

ETA: I'm 99% sure this is our last baby, so I need to start thinking about birth control. IUDs scare me and I'm not crazy about hormonal birth control either (they give me migraines), so I'm not sure what to do. We did a combo of charting/"pull & pray"/condoms after we were married before we started trying and I didn't get pregnant, but that seems too risky now that I think we are done. We were super lucky and got pregnant on the first try all three times we tired (1st ended in miscarriage), so we probably need to be pretty careful. I think I might have to suck it up and go back on Nuvaring. What is everyone else planning to do?

27. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@rpparker: glad everything is going well! Having some help has been such a blessing. I know you gave a status but don't worry so much about the poop. My LO is 50/50 formula and BF and went 3 days without pooping. I talked with my doctor and as long as their poop isn't hard or thick then it's fine. Just means LO is sucking up all the nutrients!

@MrsBrewer: oh wow! I definitely know a lot of people who are close in age with their siblings but I'm not familiar with fertility while breastfeeding. In an ideal world I would love for the age gap to be about 2-3 years, but money will dictate future LO for us. Hope that everything works out how you want with #2!

28. 78h2o

grapefruit / 4441 posts

@rpparker: Glad your LO finally went! Both my girls would go a day or two without pooping and I always knew a blowout was coming! One (gross) thing you might try to encourage a poop is taking your baby's temp rectally... sometimes that gets things going. You really don't need to do that though unless baby seems uncomfortable or you're heading into a situation where a giant blowout would be a problem.

29. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@78h2o: We aren't quite at 99%, but all of a sudden, I think we might be done with 2 (don't tell my husband, in case I change my mind.) However, we made a deal that we wouldn't make any permanent decisions until LO2 is at least 5 (at which point I'll be 35). So I'll go back on the pill until we are ready to make the call one way or the other.

@MrsBrewer: More power to you! The thought of kids that close together is terrifying to me, haha. But I'm sure there are advantages, too.

We're having some night sleep issues. LO is sleeping up to 3 hours at a time during the day (in the swing), but at night he's in bed with me. He was doing at least one 3-4 hour chunk followed by every 1.5, which was fine, but now it's 1-2 hours all night. I think it's because he's lying flat and gets really uncomfortable. I didn't have these issues with DS1, but LO2 seemed so uncomfortable all night and didn't poop until I held him upright this morning (usually I get 4-5 poops at night), at which point he fell asleep for a long time. I think I'm going to do a combination of waking him more often during the day (which I've tried, but only for a day) and using the Rock N Play during the night to get him on an incline for now. It makes me a bit nervous, but in the grand scheme, it's probably better than having him in bed with me, which is where we're at now.

30. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Jess1483: I've tried keeping LO up more during the day to help with sleeping at night and doesn't seem to make a difference. He still wakes up right on que because he's hungry. W also prefers to be at an incline at almost all times, so you might have luck with that!

Does anyone have any July 4th plans? My mom is planning a cookout on Friday since that's when the town is doing fireworks. She really wants me to go since it will be the first opportunity she can show off W. The only problem is that she lives about 1.5 hour drive away, we are a one car family, and DH works that day until 6pm. I wasn't so sure we could go because I didn't want to drive home late the same day, but she is willing to come pick me and W up and wants us to spend the night. I'm not sure how to feel about spending a night outside the house. I'm worried that it will just mess W's schedule up and I'll suffer for it. BUT, that also means my mom will be around to help. Thoughts?? I'm wondering if I'm just being too cautious.

31. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Eko: Oh my. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that if you want, but I would totally not want to deal with the drive and spending the night somewhere else, so I think it's perfectly acceptable to say no.

And I won't limit his sleep during the day, just hoping that feeding him more often will help. Maybe...

32. Mrs.KMM

grapefruit / 4355 posts

@78h2o: We plan for a 2-2.5 year gap between kids. I'm getting a Skyla IUD inserted at my 6 week PP appointment. I've only ever been on the pill so we'll see how I like it.

@Eko: My parents are going to be here on the 3rd. DH and I are playing in a mini tennis tournament and they are going to watch and keep an eye on DD. Then we're going to go to the pool with DD for the first time. On the 4th, our swim and tennis club is having a big party and we were planning to go over for a little bit and do the pool with DD again.

33. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@78h2o: I'm in the same boat as you - 99% sure we're done but I am afraid of an iud and don't want to be on hormonal bc... not sure what to do especially because as a married couple, I would like to avoid condoms haha!

@MrsBrewer: yes, you're crazy ours are 18.5 months apart and I'M crazy.

34. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

@Eko @mrs. Kmm @jess1483 : such cuties! I love seeing all the baby pics!

My LO will be a month on the 4th of July. She's a good eater. She wakes up about once a nght but once she's up it's hard to get her back to sleep. She was sleeping with me in our bed at first but our ped. Didn't think it was a good idea we have a RNP she'll sleep in. It vibrates and rocks if I rock it but now she doesn't want to sleep anywhere else but the RNP chair. She hates laying flat on her back. Any ideas to get her to sleep in her cradle or pack n play? I just don't want her getting too used to the RNP...

35. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Jess1483: oh I see! sounds like it could help! Sometimes that works for us.

@Mrs.KMM: sounds like fun! Go you for doing a tennis tournament! I can do some physical activity but couldn't imagine doing a tournament.

@hocuspocus: does she just like the RNP because it rocks? I try to not use those features for that reason. Maybe try having her sleep in the pack n play during naps and start stretching it over time. That's my plan for transitioning W to his crib.

36. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

@eko I try not to rock it too much but in the middle of the night I get desperate lol. I think it's the vibrating that she really likes. If she falls asleep while nursing and I try to put her in the PNP or cradle or on my bed the moment I set her down she wake up and starts screaming. Maybe I need to just let her cry for a little bit. She's way too she's to that chair now. Plus it doesn't help that it's been in the 100's here I think she's a little cranky.

37. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@hocuspocus: I am of the mindset of doing whatever it takes to get LO to sleep during the night at this stage. But my LO wakes up every 3 hours so I do what I can to get him back to sleep so I can sleep. I usually play around with his sleep during the day when I have more energy. When W just wants to be held during naps I'll try to lay him down and only let him cry for a couple minutes before picking him back up. Sometimes he can soothe himself to sleep other times not. I think there are different opinions on letting LO cry it out, but I don't mind letting him cry for a couple minutes.

38. Jess1483

nectarine / 2641 posts

@Eko: I think letting them fuss for 3-5 minutes to see what they can figure out is totally different than CIO (which I think is more appropriate at 6-ish months.) I, however, am TERRIFIED of my sleep-hating toddler waking up, so I get little one quiet ASAP (which probably isn't great in the long run...)

39. Eko

nectarine / 2148 posts

@Jess1483: ah. That makes sense. I Definitely try to get LO back to sleep asap at night. Part of it is due to letting DH get some sleep too! We have a tiny apartment so if LO doesn't sleeo no one does. During the day I have more patience to hear the crying.

40. hocuspocus

apricot / 373 posts

Im the same way I hate to see her cry so I usually pick her up right away which probably isn't the best for the long run but now that I know letting her try to work it out herself for a few minutes isn't torture I'm going to try that. I'm such a newbie and haven't been around a lot of babies and family is far away so I have no idea what I'm doing, but catching on

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee